PDA

View Full Version : Sports Talk Radio

JCane
04-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Who do you listen to? Anyone specific? Or just whatever you happen to catch on?

Most importantly, why do you listen?

Throw out some names and maybe we'll make a poll out of this later.

Me, I listen to Colin Cowherd RELIGIOUSLY. This guy "gets it." He largely nails everything and exposes things for what they truly are by taking emotion out of his views and offering facts. He also talks more than just sports. He talks life and business and offers advice on many, many things pertaining to those. He has also lived in all four corners of the country so he has a unique perspective on the perspective of fan bases as well as programs and franchises. Dude is just money every single day.

CedarPhin
04-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Jim Rome...I admit it.

Dolpfan_72
04-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Cowherd. Simply because he doesn't stay on a single topic for hours like so many others do. It's quite an entertaining show.

I like to drop in on some of my hometown's and favorite team's local stations from time to time though.

BobDole
04-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Jim Rome...I admit it.

do you have idea how many babies just died?

i give him the appropriate amount of respect b/c of the chris everett debacle but the man typically has no idea what he is talking about. clown shoes about sums it up.

CedarPhin
04-01-2009, 04:12 AM
I listen to Ralph and Tom on KNBR680 here too, or Damon Bruce.

SpurzN703
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I listen to the local affiliate here, SportsTalk 980. On the way to work I listen to Mike and Mike but only for 10 minutes (short car ride).

SpurzN703
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Jim Rome...I admit it.

I used to listen to him in like 2001-03. He had Patrick Surtain do an interview and it was a good one. That was back when the Phins were consistently 10-6, 11-5.

#1 Fan
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
i download dan lebatard podcasts. i know he's not sports talk, but rose and mandich are impossible to listen to when it's not football season.

Adam First
04-01-2009, 12:08 PM
790 The Ticket, all year.

I listen to WQAM when LeBetard's show is sucking.

playmaker1
04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Great topic. I listen everyday to sports talk radio.

I use to have a two hour commute and would get to listen to Mike and Mike, followed by Cowherd. I miss those days, but I do not miss waking up that early!

I listen to 950 KJR here locally. They have some great personalities and make it fun, and sports oriented. Seattle does have a pretty good size market, so they are able to get quite a few big names from around the sports country as guests, so it never gets old. The bonus is John Clayton is from here in Seattle, so he frequently is on, and even has his on call in show on weekends where he fields all sorts of questions. Clayton is one of my favorite sports reporters.

X-Pacolypse
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Big O and Jim Mandich on 560 WQAM. Joe Rose is okay, but I hate how he brings on former Dolphins for interviews, guys that nobody really cares about. Guys like: Welker, Izzo, Feely, etc. Plus, his laugh is annoying.

Adam First
04-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Joe Rose is annoying.

If they just had Cefalo and Mandich in the radio booth I'd be fine with that.

canesandbhoys
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm up in the Tampa area, so it's 620 WDAE for me. It sucks during football season, hearing about all the problems with the freakin' Buccaneers. But the rest of the year is devoted to my Rays and Lightning, so it's not too bad. I listen to Steve Duemig and Jim Rome (fight me)

ih8brady
04-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Rome is the best, which isn't saying much, imo because A) he's probably the only broadcaster who succeeds in bringing actual humor to the subject(nearly everyone else tries and fails) and B) he realizes the limits of sports talk(how long can you talk about the DH or TO's antics or whether Manning or Brady is the best QB , etc.).

X-Pacolypse
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm up in the Tampa area, so it's 620 WDAE for me. It sucks during football season, hearing about all the problems with the freakin' Buccaneers. But the rest of the year is devoted to my Rays and Lightning, so it's not too bad. I listen to Steve Duemig and Jim Rome (fight me)

WDAE totally sucks.

canesandbhoys
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
WDAE totally sucks.

For the most part, you are right. But IMO it is the better of the two in the area. I have tried listening to 1010, but it's just not very good. I'm not sure why.

X-Pacolypse
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
For the most part, you are right. But IMO it is the better of the two in the area. I have tried listening to 1010, but it's just not very good. I'm not sure why.

Tampa and Orlando sports talk radio just aren't any good period. It drove me crazy enough to the point to where I finally put down the cash for satellite radio. I got XM back in 2006, and I haven't looked back since.

GoonBoss
04-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I enjoy Jim Rome. He's a goof, but, he makes me laugh. Everyone dogs his interviews, which, aren't good, admitedly, but I don't listen to sports talk for insightful interviews. I enjoy Colin Cowherd a great deal. He's very entertaining and knows how to pace his show. I used to love Jason Smith on ESPN all night, but, I think they took him off the air, which really sucks. I LOVE Jurko, Mac, and Harry on the ESPN Chicago affiliate...890 maybe? I'm not goign to google it. They are very entertaining.

I can't stand most local hacks. There's a reason they aren't nationally syndicated. I can't stand Alex Van Pelt/Mike Tirico. They have terrible chemestry and no structure to thier show at all. That woman they bring in is awful. I can't stand Freddie Coleman. His delivery is forced, and, he's like a no talent grad student they brought in on the cheap. Michal J Smith is at least styleistic. I can listen to his show because at least it sounds like he's putting an effort into doing a good show.

Dolfan3773
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
790 the ticket

JCane
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
A lot of local listeners in here lol. That's cool. I love 790 the Ticket and WQAM. Joe Rose, Dan LeBatard, etc.

BARF
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
cannot stand rome, i am between defo and rose in the morning since 790 lost sid in the morning, even thought they are getting ed berliner to take his spot, and then i religously listen to sedano,loved him when it use to be 940am back in the day when it was also stugotz and toast, does anybody remember that. and le batard in the afternoon. i use to love listening to the dos amigos late night that was awesome

d-day
04-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Who do you listen to? Anyone specific? Or just whatever you happen to catch on?

Most importantly, why do you listen?

Throw out some names and maybe we'll make a poll out of this later.

Me, I listen to Colin Cowherd RELIGIOUSLY. This guy "gets it." He largely nails everything and exposes things for what they truly are by taking emotion out of his views and offering facts. He also talks more than just sports. He talks life and business and offers advice on many, many things pertaining to those. He has also lived in all four corners of the country so he has a unique perspective on the perspective of fan bases as well as programs and franchises. Dude is just money every single day.

agree on all counts - and he's a huge parcells fan

MelbournePhin
04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
dan sileo until 9 and 790 after that.

Amars
04-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Petros and Money show.

AccordOn13z
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Jorge Sedano, Zaslow, Dan Lebo and Stugotz but 790 24/7. I only listen to 560 on game day. &90 needs a new personality because its starting to get real boring after 7. What in the world happend between 790 and Sid?

Canes and Bulls you stole my SIG!

canesandbhoys
04-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Canes and Bulls you stole my SIG!

Haha, fixed.

Anyway, I actually kind of like Arnie Spanier, too. He can be a little annoying, but he is usually pretty comedic and is logical in most of his takes (which is a rarity in radio).