PDA

View Full Version : Robot Scientist Becomes First Machine To Discover New Scientific Knowledge

Eshlemon
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Neat stuff.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090402143451.htm

Robot Scientist Becomes First Machine To Discover New Scientific Knowledge

ScienceDaily (Apr. 3, 2009) Researchers funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) have created a 'robot scientist' which they believe is the first machine to have independently discovered new scientific knowledge. The robot, called Adam, is a computer system that fully automates the scientific process. The work will be published in the journal Science.

Using artificial intelligence, Adam hypothesised that certain genes in baker's yeast code for specific enzymes which catalyse biochemical reactions in yeast. The robot then devised experiments to test these predictions, ran the experiments using laboratory robotics, interpreted the results and repeated the cycle.

Adam first and no Eve...sexist scientists.

April 3, 2019

Scientists at Aberystwyth University are outraged after being fired and replaced by Adam and 'his' decendants.

:d-day:

eric1589
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
hopefully the robots wont be PROGRAMMED with religion, like people are PROGRAMMED with it. then it wouldnt be able to get in the way and slow them down, like with people.

Eshlemon
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Hopefully they won't be given free will and will be "PROGRAMMED" with "religion" so they don't seek to elevate themselves above or destroy their creator.

Dolphan7
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
"The Rise of The Machines"

Marino613
04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Hopefully they won't be given free will and will be "PROGRAMMED" with "religion" so they don't seek to elevate themselves above or destroy their creator.

The Three Laws of Robotics!!

Eshlemon
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
The Three Laws of Robotics!!

:lol: And Will Smith to take out the meglomaniac psycho supercomputer!

72champagne
07-31-2009, 07:06 AM
"Adam hypothesised that certain genes in baker's yeast code for specific enzymes which catalyse biochemical reactions in yeast...."

I'm not understanding that, I don't think. I mean, I guess they're talking about baking bread, yeast rises through biochemical reactions. Ok, so certain enzymes make that happen (catalyse) by chemical reactions. Well, of course there are 'certain genes' which code for those enzymes (proteins). That's what genes are, instructions to make proteins. What exactly is the hypothesis? or did Adam find the SPECIFIC genes that make those proteins?

In any event, it's apparently groundbreaking. Knowledge could explode exponentially.

SoJoMike
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
"The Rise of The Machines"

We are pretty much doomed....and we've done it to ourselves