PDA

View Full Version : "Smear The Queer"

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Excuse the title, but, that's what we called the game. The late 70's and early 80s were not quite so sensitive as times are now.

At any rate....Did anyone else play this game or a varient? I was thinking about this a few days ago and posted it on another board I frequent (Non sports related).

The game was simple...And any number of kids could play. You take a football, throw it as high into the air as you can, and some unfortunate kid would catch it. Once the ball was caught, the poor sap just ran around, more or less aimlessly while every other kid tried to takle him as hard as they could. There was no score....Only running and pain.

Alternately, you got into a circle and, tossed the ball to another random person in the circle and recited "Smear" or whatever word on "Smear The Queer with the foot-ball. Then, see the afore mentioned running and pain.

I was wondering if it was just me, or if other kids did this....Because growing up in a VERY sparcely populated area of NC, we had to make up lots of our own games as kids. :lol:

Locke
04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
:lol2:

I played that game almost everyday in 4th grade! Ah man, good times....

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 04:23 PM

I played that game almost everyday in 4th grade! Ah man, good times....

I forgot to mention the consequences of fumbling. Should you fumble the ball in lieu of getting tackled, the punishment was 10X worse, and, the other kids would still chase and tackle you, but, pile on and stay on.

Honestly, I think that's why my High SChool career was remarkably injury free..I don't think I got hit any harder than I did playing SMTQ. :lol:

Locke
04-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I forgot to mention the consequences of fumbling. Should you fumble the ball in lieu of getting tackled, the punishment was 10X worse, and, the other kids would still chase and tackle you, but, pile on and stay on.

Honestly, I think that's why my High SChool career was remarkably injury free..I don't think I got hit any harder than I did playing SMTQ. :lol:

I was the runt of the group, so of course they always made sure I got the ball as often as possible. Its OK though, it toughened me up....

CedarPhin
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
We used to play all the time in Elementary and Jr. High.

X-Pacolypse
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
You're not alone. We used to play this game back when I was elementary/middle school. Although, we used a dodgeball.

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 07:23 PM
You're not alone. We used to play this game back when I was elementary/middle school. Although, we used a dodgeball.

Another fiendish game.

Finfang
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Hell yeah we played STQ all the time in my neighborhood when I was a kid. It was always fun to play that instead of playing an actual game of football but we did a lot too. It always seemed like when we played STQ there was always a fight. Someone would go home pissed off. That is one game that will make you tough as hell!

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Hell yeah we played STQ all the time in my neighborhood when I was a kid. It was always fun to play that instead of playing an actual game of football but we did a lot too. It always seemed like when we played STQ there was always a fight. Someone would go home pissed off. That is one game that will make you tough as hell!
:lol: The game that doesn't end by a score or time. It ends by attrition.

Bobby Humphrey
04-04-2009, 07:44 PM
We played something like it everyday in elementary school. We called it field goal return.

Everyone would line up as a kick off cover team except two people. 1 person would be the return man and another person, the ‘kicker’, would throw the ball down field to the returner. The KO cover team would run down field and tackle the return man who had no blockers.

Not sure why we called it field goal return????

JTBRLZ
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
We played it too, but I guess we weren't as creative with the name, we just called it Hit the Man with the Ball.

Finfang
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
:lol: The game that doesn't end by a score or time. It ends by attrition.

No doubt about that. You would start out with 8 maybe 10 kids next thing you know there are 3 of you sore,sweaty and covered in grass stains. Sometimes even bleeding. My mom would always say I don't need to know what you boys were doing just get in the tub. :lol:

Tetragrammaton
04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
We played it, but never called it that. I can't remember what we called it, actually.

But dodgeball was the best game ever. For boys that idolize war, dodgeball is the best substitute.

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
We played it too, but I guess we weren't as creative with the name, we just called it Hit the Man with the Ball.

That started to come about later. Also if parents were within earshot.

GoonBoss
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
We played it, but never called it that. I can't remember what we called it, actually.

But dodgeball was the best game ever. For boys that idolize war, dodgeball is the best substitute.

Actually, I hated dodgeball. I've never had a particularly good throwing arm, and, my accuracy isn't very good either....And if there was a boy that "Idolized war" it was probably me......Even though I would say that's a completely inaccurate term for it.

SpurzN703
04-04-2009, 10:22 PM
We played that game too. Never knew where the name came from though :chuckle:

eric1589
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
i used to play that in elementary school.
we called it murder ball.

and when no one caught the ball, or picked it up. everyone would huddle around it and some one would quickly grab it and throw it at a random person, who everybody would rush.

BrewMan13
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
We called it 'kill the carrier', and yeah, it was among the myriad of games we played as kids. I was also one of the 'runts' so I got beat on pretty good during anything involving contact, but I got a reputation as the kid who could take punishment.

Flip Tanneflop
04-05-2009, 01:01 AM
AHHHHH Smear the Queer. Good times......mostly :lol:

I wouldve made you for a veteran "Smear the Queer" player Goon.

Kids are such wussies these days. Everyone plays soccer.....even boys. If you have testicles and you are going to play soccer, the least these families could do is move to Europe where they play real soccer that involves having urine bombs and malitave(SP) cocktails thrown at the players. What a dumb game. Its like they are trying to get someone killed. Smear the Queer will usually only result in parapaligia at the worst. But, soccer in America.....weak.

Anyways, we used to play that **** all the time. I did however have the misfotune of growing up in a neighborhood where the majority of the male kids were 4-5 years older than me. Boy that really sucked sometimes.

The games main positive was that it trained you in eluding defenders with the football in your hands. I would imagine that a lot of quality open field runners that we see in the NFL got some quality practice in games of smear the queer. Nothing like trying to dodge about 6 other kids at the same time who are trying to tackle you and you are the lone offensive player.

I bet Barry Sanders was a beast at smear the queer.

Flip Tanneflop
04-05-2009, 01:06 AM
How about "King of the Hill" Goon. Ever play that one?

Growing up around here, everyones yard pretty much has an area with an incline in it. You find one just the right size. One person..."the King" would stand at the top. Everyone else lines up at the bottom. Each person takes a turn coming up the hill and trying to dethrone the king by pushing him down the hill before the king could push him back down. After each battle the next person in line would repeat the process and challenge winner of the last battle. Great game.

Flip Tanneflop
04-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Sometimes we did just play basketball instead of kicking each others *****. :lol: Baseball was fun, but in this area its difficult to find enough land, even in large backyards, that is flat enough to play a decent game.

We did however mix in some "run down" which was basically a practice in running the bases should you ever be caught in a run down during a game. Helped your glove skills if you are on defense in those situations too.

"Indian ball" was also a decent modified baseball game that we played. It worked well on the lawns with hills. Someone tosses the ball up and hits it themselves. If the ball is caught the batter is out and trades places with the person who fielded it. If the ball isnt caught out of the air, the player who fields it attempts to throw the ball and hit the bat which the batter has laid horizonally on the ground around where he hit it from. Great practice for your outfield throwing. If the fielder hits the bat with the ball, he trades places with the batter. Another great game.

To play an actual game of baseball though, we usually just went to the ball fields in town. If we could gather enough players.

Finfang
04-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Fist of all WV I would have totally destroyed you at STQ. I doubt you and Goon would be able to catch me! :lol:

KnifeOfTheDead
04-05-2009, 01:36 AM
last time i played it was a couple years ago. great times. we played it in the dark, with nothing but a fire lighting up the yard. one of my friends had the ball and there was a log in the yard that he went to jump over, and a clothesline appeared out of nowhere. one of the funniest things i've ever witnessed

LtDan
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Excuse the title, but, that's what we called the game. The late 70's and early 80s were not quite so sensitive as times are now.

At any rate....Did anyone else play this game or a varient? I was thinking about this a few days ago and posted it on another board I frequent (Non sports related).

The game was simple...And any number of kids could play. You take a football, throw it as high into the air as you can, and some unfortunate kid would catch it. Once the ball was caught, the poor sap just ran around, more or less aimlessly while every other kid tried to takle him as hard as they could. There was no score....Only running and pain.

Alternately, you got into a circle and, tossed the ball to another random person in the circle and recited "Smear" or whatever word on "Smear The Queer with the foot-ball. Then, see the afore mentioned running and pain.

I was wondering if it was just me, or if other kids did this....Because growing up in a VERY sparcely populated area of NC, we had to make up lots of our own games as kids. :lol:
definitely played it

GoonBoss
04-05-2009, 02:07 AM

Growing up around here, everyones yard pretty much has an area with an incline in it. You find one just the right size. One person..."the King" would stand at the top. Everyone else lines up at the bottom. Each person takes a turn coming up the hill and trying to dethrone the king by pushing him down the hill before the king could push him back down. After each battle the next person in line would repeat the process and challenge winner of the last battle. Great game.

Whenever a dirt pile was around. Not many hill type things in Eastern NC.

GoonBoss
04-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Sometimes we did just play basketball instead of kicking each others *****. :lol: Baseball was fun, but in this area its difficult to find enough land, even in large backyards, that is flat enough to play a decent game.

We did however mix in some "run down" which was basically a practice in running the bases should you ever be caught in a run down during a game. Helped your glove skills if you are on defense in those situations too.

"Indian ball" was also a decent modified baseball game that we played. It worked well on the lawns with hills. Someone tosses the ball up and hits it themselves. If the ball is caught the batter is out and trades places with the person who fielded it. If the ball isnt caught out of the air, the player who fields it attempts to throw the ball and hit the bat which the batter has laid horizonally on the ground around where he hit it from. Great practice for your outfield throwing. If the fielder hits the bat with the ball, he trades places with the batter. Another great game.

To play an actual game of baseball though, we usually just went to the ball fields in town. If we could gather enough players.

We called this "Roll The Bat" The most guys we could ever muster as about 7..So we played lots of 3/3 football and Roll the bat.

BTW..You are teh only other person I've ever talked to that played this game.

ih8brady
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I always thought of it as Fumbly rumbly or fumble rumble. Never heard stq:foundout:

Noodle Arm
04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I always thought of it as Fumbly rumbly or fumble rumble. Never heard stq:foundout:

Fumbly Rumbly? That's gayer than Smear the Queer. :tongue:

SuavePhin
04-05-2009, 03:20 PM

King of the Hill was a Montana winter classic, the King really was the king unless you really caught him off guard, slick snow pile = glorious fun times :hi5:

Locke
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM

ih8brady
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM

:err:
Then should I bother mentioning the copyrighted term, punishing the tight end?:crazy:

Norcal Skunk
04-05-2009, 03:30 PM
haha. I havent thought about that game in forever. I used to play STQ, and Red Dog. It was kinda the same, but just a tad different. It was like that guy that was talking about Fieldgoal return. I had to stop when I ended up with bruised ribs. lol.

CaliSDFin
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow I haven't thought about this in a long time. STQ was a great game and it was always interesting when one of the fat kids would get the ball. Then you have like 10 people on their back trying to tackle them. We played this during gym in middle school and sometimes there would be over 30 of us playing. I have seen a lot of injuries from it and if I did that today I wouldn't make one round without something being broken.

Another one was wall ball (Or hand ball). This is what we played when we were waiting for classes to change after gym class was over. This is where you throw the ball against the wall and once it bounces back you have to catch the ball without dropping it. If you dropped it, then you had to run and touch the wall before someone pegged you with the ball. The thing was if you dropped the ball and picked it back up without running to the wall (Basically touching the ball twice) you had to stand on the wall and two people got to throw the ball at you. Man it was rough and we were mean.

Also, we played "War Ball" which is loke dodgeball but with 20 on 20. You play inside a basketball gym and run from sideline to sideline with 4 balls in play. It gets interesting because there is so many people.

The one we play these days (gotten to old for those games) is slosh ball. You put the keg on second base and you play kickball. The trick is that you must have a beer in your hand the whole time (Kicking and fielding), then once you round second you have ot chug your beer and fill it back up before advancing (you can have two runners on second at the same time). It spills a lot of beer but it is great for laughs

Bumpus
04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
:lol:
STQ, & Indian Ball. Two staples of my youth that I haven't thought about in forever. Good stuff.

shula_guy
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM

Absolutly played that game and we called it "smear the queer" as well. I grew up in Jersey

Dolfan3773
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I played that alot when I was little but we had changed it up a little bit. We did the tossing of the football into the air. You had to make an effort to catch it and who ever caught it would have to run around with it and couldnt throw it off to someone until 1 min passed...i used to love playing that lol

d-day
04-08-2009, 02:44 AM
We played something like it everyday in elementary school. We called it field goal return.

Everyone would line up as a kick off cover team except two people. 1 person would be the return man and another person, the ‘kicker’, would throw the ball down field to the returner. The KO cover team would run down field and tackle the return man who had no blockers.

Not sure why we called it field goal return????

because you played smear the queer in your closet!

Possum
04-08-2009, 04:00 AM

I received 10 stitches above my eye after a ran behind the swing sets playing that game.

Clipse
04-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Used to it play it as well. Called it "Spear the Queer" though.