PDA

View Full Version : A note to drivers.

Tetragrammaton
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
This is a green light. Normally, it means you can go straight and make a right turn. However, it seems that not everyone understands that this usually appears with another signal.
This is the sign that pedestrians and bicyclists will get when you have a green light. Therefore, before you make a right turn, you need to watch out for these people, because they have the right of way to go straight. If you don't, we all suffer.

1 dol fan
04-10-2009, 12:04 AM
That is actually a very beneficial post because a lot of people seem to forget this knowledge over the winter when bikes and pedestrians are much less common (in Wisconsin at least) and I have noticed people about to run me over on my bike a few times.

On a side note: This also helps me and the other young'un on this site being that I'm 17 and he is 16 which is about the time that we start driving.

You earned this thanks for helpful info! Right on my man!

Edit: also the pictures help those less focused to keep on track...

or do the pretty pictures distract them...

CrazyCarl
04-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I think a smarter plan would be for those walking or on bikes not assume they can just freely go when it says "Walk" because in a battle

Vehicles > People Walking/Bikes

They may have the right of way, but it would be more beneficial for them to look out as opposed to the other way around.

Tetragrammaton
04-10-2009, 12:54 AM
I think a smarter plan would be for those walking or on bikes not assume they can just freely go when it says "Walk" because in a battle

Vehicles > People Walking/Bikes

They may have the right of way, but it would be more beneficial for them to look out as opposed to the other way around.

Do you know how long that walk signal stays up? If I wait for everyone that is backed up to make their right turn, I run out of time. All I really need is ten seconds. Of course you should always defend yourself against people that don't know the law, and I am not going to risk my life to prove a point, but that does not excuse those that break the law.

I am just getting fed up with it. Crossing major roads in this town is a joke, and major towns here are usually six lanes. If major metropolitan areas like Orlando can do it efficiently, I don't see why the rest of the world cannot.

After all, I am riding on the sidewalk with my road bike, going much slower than I would on the road, because people honk and throw garbage at me for riding on the shoulder when it is available or the road when there is none, which is my legal right. The least they could do is let us cross the street.

CrazyCarl
04-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Do you know how long that walk signal stays up? If I wait for everyone that is backed up to make their right turn, I run out of time. All I really need is ten seconds. Of course you should always defend yourself against people that don't know the law, and I am not going to risk my life to prove a point, but that does not excuse those that break the law.

I am just getting fed up with it. Crossing major roads in this town is a joke, and major towns here are usually six lanes. If major metropolitan areas like Orlando can do it efficiently, I don't see why the rest of the world cannot.

After all, I am riding on the sidewalk with my road bike, going much slower than I would on the road, because people honk and throw garbage at me for riding on the shoulder when it is available or the road when there is none, which is my legal right. The least they could do is let us cross the street.

I wasn't saying that cars SHOULD have the right of way, I was basically just saying that for those people who don't pay attention to that (in cars) it would prolly be safer for the person who DOES have the right away to go ahead and pay more attention anyway because if you get hit you're the only one really risking injury.

I agree with you though, people should let those walking or on bikes cross.. but that's not always the case.

1 dol fan
04-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I wasn't saying that cars SHOULD have the right of way, I was basically just saying that for those people who don't pay attention to that (in cars) it would prolly be safer for the person who DOES have the right away to go ahead and pay more attention anyway because if you get hit you're the only one really risking injury.

I agree with you though, people should let those walking or on bikes cross.. but that's not always the case.
I suppose we should call up Obama and let him know that a PSA is required about this epidemic and should be replayed once it begins to warm up again after winter every year so people don't piss off us pedestrians!

Edit: you can look at a car two ways... a metal outer shell that protects a person from the outside
or
a metal death trap that is a ticking bomb to those trapped inside this metal cage.

Bumpus
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
(sigh)

I have a different opinion. Roads were built for motorized vehicles, not bicycles. If you don't want to be flattened by my truck, stay the hell outta the road when I'm coming.

And no, that doesn't mean that I aim for bicyclists ... but it does annoy the hell out of me when some moron on a bike is peddaling his way slowly along a road, holding up traffic, and generally not giving a ****. So, you'll pardon me if I don't give two squirts of piss about the plight of those who slow me down.

1 dol fan
04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
(sigh)

I have a different opinion. Roads were built for motorized vehicles, not bicycles. If you don't want to be flattened by my truck, stay the hell outta the road when I'm coming.

And no, that doesn't mean that I aim for bicyclists ... but it does annoy the hell out of me when some moron on a bike is peddaling his way slowly along a road, holding up traffic, and generally not giving a ****. So, you'll pardon me if I don't give two squirts of piss about the plight of those who slow me down.
go the **** around!

GoonBoss
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Fight! Fight!

Tetragrammaton
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
(sigh)

I appreciate that you have an opinion, but the law states that we can ride on the road and we get a right of way. Since my town is not the most bike friendly in the world, I ride on the sidewalk, hitting every bump along the way and making my ride take longer. I am not clamoring for systems like they have in major American cities and in Europe, but a little respect would be nice. Hell, I will let respect go. Just don't kill me.

Dolphins7273
04-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Do you know how long that walk signal stays up? If I wait for everyone that is backed up to make their right turn, I run out of time.

Jaywalking FTW!

TakeOne
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I HATE IT when people on bicycles use the roadway when there is a sidewalk available. Im not sure where the law stands on this one, but get your bicycles OFF OF THE ****ING ROAD!!! :)