PDA

View Full Version : Isiah Thomas to coach FIU basketball?

Dolfan3773
04-13-2009, 07:47 PM
wow...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4065658

CedarPhin
04-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Not a bad hire for them really. Maybe he's a better college than pro coach.

biggiesmalls3k1
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow, how the mighty have fallen...from an NBA coach of THE KNICKS...to coaching in the Sun-Belt Conference for the Golden Panthers lol...seriously though i dont think its a bad hire, if i remember correctly he did decent at Indiana...good luck to him. Im a student at FIU, itd be great to run into him on campus...at least for a quick laugh lol...

CedarPhin
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
He wasn't bad with the Pacers....Bird had differences with him and fired him. He was a disaster in NY though.

biggiesmalls3k1
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
lol i wasnt referring to the pacers, i totally forgot about that...now that i remember he did a pretty good job with them, took them to the playoffs a few times with a healthy j.o. i thought he coached at IU but maybe my memory is a little fuzzy?

GoonBoss
04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Just 'casue you can't cut it at the pro level doesn't make you a bad hire at the college level. Completely different animal.

biggiesmalls3k1
04-13-2009, 11:27 PM
oh i totally understand that, id guess he'd be a great recruiting tool, who wouldnt wanna play for the guy who destroyed the knicks lmao jk...he can be a great college coach...

CedarPhin
04-14-2009, 01:07 AM
lol i wasnt referring to the pacers, i totally forgot about that...now that i remember he did a pretty good job with them, took them to the playoffs a few times with a healthy j.o. i thought he coached at IU but maybe my memory is a little fuzzy?

Never coached at IU.

Went to the Pacers, had a falling out with Bird (apparently beef spilt over from their playing days), then went to the Bricks and made some horrific personnel decisions.

Like Goon said though, coaching at college and the pros is completely different. Pete Carroll, Dennis Erickson, Nick Saban...just to name a few have had way more success at the college level than at the pro level...another one is Calipari.

Apollo
04-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I've always had a dislike for Isiah Thomas and thought he was way overrated in the NBA as a coach but as an incoming freshman student of FIU this fall, I'm going to have to swallow some crow and say I'm excited to see the type of players he'll be able to recruit into the program. He's DEFINITELY bringing national exposure to the school now, that's one thing for sure. IMO a smart hire by Pete Garcia.

Looks like I may have to add another team to my sig lol.

Ferretsquig
04-14-2009, 05:12 PM
What a waste of money. I don't see how a public institution can justify paying millions for a coach of a team which has such a low revenue potential.

Apollo
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
^^^To raise the revenue potential and increase national exposure to the program, and Isiah will bring in the recruits with his name

CedarPhin
04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
It's official, per ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4067233

Ferretsquig
04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
^^^To raise the revenue potential and increase national exposure to the program, and Isiah will bring in the recruits with his name

Making the wild assumption that he does everything right, manages to recruit top flight talent immediately, wins games to draw the crowds, and makes the tourney to draw that cash, the university will still end up losing money. Calipari built a perennial contender in Memphis which draws all kinds of exposure, and manages to pull in $4.7 mil and operate at a loss every year. UNC by contrast will triple that in pure profit.

Isiah can be the most successful mid major basketball coach in history and the school still ends up on the losing end. I don't see how any public school can make the argument that the press clippings are worth diverting money from educational endeavors to pay for a basketball team.

KDog13
04-15-2009, 02:14 AM
the team might have either made it self look even worse then it was but it certaintly got attention and publicicity i guess it wanted

Isiah coaching is scary good thing you can trade players in college

dreday
04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Was this move a promotion or a demotion from the NBA ranks?Cheerleaders beware, hell entire female student body beware!...:rolleyes2:

playmaker1
04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Thomas to work for free in 2009-10

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4070376

... This makes things a little more interesting.

Apollo
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Making the wild assumption that he does everything right, manages to recruit top flight talent immediately, wins games to draw the crowds, and makes the tourney to draw that cash, the university will still end up losing money. Calipari built a perennial contender in Memphis which draws all kinds of exposure, and manages to pull in $4.7 mil and operate at a loss every year. UNC by contrast will triple that in pure profit.

Isiah can be the most successful mid major basketball coach in history and the school still ends up on the losing end. I don't see how any public school can make the argument that the press clippings are worth diverting money from educational endeavors to pay for a basketball team.
I understand what you're saying, but so far there are quite a few student athletes interested in FIU now and at $200,000-$300,000 per year, Isiah doesn't have a salary compared to other big name NCAA Division I coaches. Calipari was being paid $2.35 million per year during his final years at Memphis. He will now be making close to $4 million per year with Kentucky.

Leave it to FIU to introducing him as Isiah Thompson, way to go FIU ugh..

Ferretsquig
04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeh it didn't dawn on me that Isiah is still getting paid by the Knicks. So he decides to be incredibly generous and return the salary he'd make this upcoming season, which would have been deducted from what they're paying him. I have to admit that it was a very well thought out gesture......at least his pr guys know what they're doing.

200k isn't that bad......I never would of thought that he'd stoop that low.

CedarPhin
04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Did anyone see his interview on ESPN? They grilled him, and he went on talking about how he'd turned down 2 NBA offers this offseason (must have been for hot dog vendor). Andy Katz asked him which teams had made the offer, and Isiah got all nervous and backtracked.

Pretty funny stuff.

Apollo
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I saw the interview. The whole thing seemed a little uncomfortable and slightly awkward ESPECIALLY when he was asked whether he attempted suicide or not, he took a few moments to get his answer and all he could say was that he liked living and something else with an uneasy smile, not a definitive no. That kind of raised a little flag for me after seeing the whole interview, I'm not sure what to think of that or if I'm just assuming something.

CedarPhin
04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
He's a wreck...and a basketcase to boot.

JCane
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Isiah Thompson.

:lol:

Anyone see that?

dlockz
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Isiah Thompson.

:lol:

Anyone see that?

they should make that guy resign, what an idiot.

Stratman Tigers
04-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I've always had a dislike for Isiah Thomas and thought he was way overrated in the NBA as a coach but as an incoming freshman student of FIU this fall, I'm going to have to swallow some crow and say I'm excited to see the type of players he'll be able to recruit into the program. He's DEFINITELY bringing national exposure to the school now, that's one thing for sure. IMO a smart hire by Pete Garcia.

Looks like I may have to add another team to my sig lol.

It starts with replacing "Hurricanes" with "Golden Panthers" :up:

I don't like Pete Garcia, especially since he fired Danny Price at FIU. I don't like the move, but whats the worst that could heppen? FIU basketball keeps sucking? Atleast he isn't coach of womens' basketball.

Apollo
04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
It starts with replacing "Hurricanes" with "Golden Panthers" :up:

I don't like Pete Garcia, especially since he fired Danny Price at FIU. I don't like the move, but whats the worst that could heppen? FIU basketball keeps sucking? Atleast he isn't coach of womens' basketball.
That likely won't happen, I practically bleed green and orange :D

JCane
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
That likely won't happen, I practically bleed green and orange :D

Once a 'Cane...always a 'Cane. It's in that blood man.

If you're only 18 then you probably don't know much about Isiah the player. I grew up watching those late 80's Detroit Bad Boy Pistons and they were A LOT of fun to watch. Isiah was a special special player. Like you though, I didn't much care for Isiah the coach but that's partially because I absolutely DESPISE the New York Knicks.

Don't feel bad about attending FIU man lol. I have a lot of friends who are just as diehard about the 'Canes as I am who graduated from FIU. Not all of us can be blessed with extremely rich parents to pay our way to the great U.

Stay 'Cane man.

:up:

Stratman Tigers
04-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Meh, thats the problem with the "U". FIU is more representative of Miami then UM, which is basically rich local kids and rich out of state kids. I can't wait for Cristobal to finally field a good FIU team, which will happen soon. How many "U" kids will end up being loyal to FIU.

JCane
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Meh, thats the problem with the "U". FIU is more representative of Miami then UM, which is basically rich local kids and rich out of state kids. I can't wait for Cristobal to finally field a good FIU team, which will happen soon. How many "U" kids will end up being loyal to FIU.

That's because Miami is a private school lol. If Miami were public,imagine how many kids would attend then. whther or not Cristobal fields a good team or not, FIU is still in a weak weak non-BCS conference and will still get the South Florida leftovers. Outside of Miami, FIU still has to compete with Florida and Florida State.

Stratman Tigers
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Look at how fast USF has developed into a good program. FIU can do the same.