PDA

View Full Version : Carr, Wife, and Baby Uninjured in Hit and Run Incident...It's Time to Get a Clue

Cranx
02-23-2002, 05:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/0222/1338917.html

:fire: I'm going to stand on a soapbox here for a second. This kind of stuff is ridiculous. Why can't morons out there just get a clue and not drive after they've been drinking? (This hasn't proven to have been alcohol related, however, chances are it was.) When are enough people going to get creamed before these idiots realize how stupid this is?

I'm going off like this because I arrest (yes, I am a cop) these people all the time and inevitably, we wind up having at least one alcohol related driving death per month in the city in which I work. In fact we have so many DUI’s per month that we have a special unit just to handle them (they usually pick up between 15-30 DUI’s per week.)

Year after year more athletes (two just this month: UM linebacker and Padres outfielder) die because they're stupid. I keep thinking people will get the hint but they never do.

If any of you reading this are the type to get hammered, or even a little tipsy for that matter, and go driving, please stop now; you're killing the rest of us...literally.

I'm back off the soap box now, I just had to get that off my chest. Thanks :(

iceblizzard69
02-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Well, its seems like he will be ok, as well as the rest of his family, so that is good. I doubt he cares about the car though, its not like he will be driving a Saturn after draft day.

Blitz
02-24-2002, 02:23 AM
Expo88, I agree with you 100% on almost every point you made (With the exception of the Carr incident...I'm not so sure it's likely connected with drunk driving).

I can't stand idiots who drink and drive. What needs to be done is harsher law enforcement. How much time will someone get if they're caught drinking and driving where you live?

If we threw people into jail for 10 years on first offense, you would think drinking and driving would go down.

Anyone who drinks and drives deserves to have their life ruined with severe jail-time.

Thousands of people die each year because of drunk drivers.

I think we have to change that somehow, someway.

Cranx
02-24-2002, 04:53 AM
Blitz, it's actually pretty pathetic what they get. If they don't injur anyone, on a first offense the DA's office usually reduces it what's called a "wet reckless," which means a fine, 6 months of probation, and a year of probationary status on one's license. The penalties get stiffer the more they get but not much. It's not until 5 or 6 that they're looking at any serious jail time.

Even when they kill someone, they usually wind up only getting 5 years or so, it's sad.

And the reason I said Carr's incident was probably alcohol related was, most of the hit and runs I deal with are one of two things: (1) No license and don't want to get caught driving without or (2) Drunk driving. Also, in my experience, 9 out of 10 hit and runs that happen at night are alcohol related. Hopefully people will start getting the clue but I doubt it. :(