PDA

View Full Version : Vontae Davis at #25!

7Kit
04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
fins pick vontae davis! character issues but what do you think??

ShaBam
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes I Like It!!

ticophin
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
I hope Parcells lights a fire under his butt!!! Exciting pick!

67Stang
04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Definetly a big need!

nate52
04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Awesome pick

Quadfather
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
ran a 4.35 at his pro day, good size, he should be good.

#1dolphinsfan
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
i love it everyone didnt want him coming into the draft but i have been routing for the dolphins to get him for a while now you could even go back to my mocks and you will see him as my pick

Blitz
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
One of the fastest and strongest corners in the draft. It is hard not to like this pick.

flynryan15
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Say hello to JASON ALLEN JR!!! :confused: :crazy:

emeraldfin
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Has all the tools to be a great corner, but we will wait and see

ghostface95
04-25-2009, 07:00 PM
simply ecstatic of the selection he fills a definite need and we still have a chance to get Hakeem Nicks early in Round 2

and at least the Patsies can't get Rey Rey in Round 1

ShaBam
04-25-2009, 07:02 PM

What??

Vontae is NOTHING like Jason Allen as a pro prospect.

fiftyofhaze
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
now do we trade up 4 wr or rare talent late first

RoninFin4
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I know I posted the other day I hoped Miami stayed away from Davis and Harvin, but if any team can keep Vontae from doing some of the things his brother has done, it's the Dolphins.

Despite what I commented about the other day, I'm pretty excited all in all about Vontae. Another very solid pick! Glad to be a Dolphins fan! Most of my friends are Bengals fans being here in Cincinnati, and I'm having a ball listening to them jump off a cliff about Andre Smith and not taking Raji or Monroe. I'm so happy to have solid front office leadership again!

FINMAN13
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
LOVE THE PICK.

Still grinning from ear to ear.

CitizenSnips
04-25-2009, 07:10 PM
I wanted Rey Rey, but you can't deny the need and talent of Vontae Davis. Our secondary just might be able to live up to Gibrils words if Davis can be a solid starter.

ChambersWI
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM

completely different players. Davis is a big physical CB that is fast, Allen was never that physical.

General Tso
04-25-2009, 07:12 PM
If it weren't Parcells/Ireland drafting, I'd be worried about this Davis pick. But... I trust their comfort with his benching and attitude issues.

felipen123
04-25-2009, 07:12 PM
its the perfect pick:

Ideal Height and body frame that we need now against the WR's in our Division.

Has the speed and hard hitting strength which helps in run support and coverage.

Is a pure CB.

Finally if its any staff that can put some discipline in this kid, its the TRIFECTA. he should be happy we picked him, we will make him play to his potential.

A+ pick.

ticophin
04-25-2009, 07:14 PM
T.O., you can start crying right about now...

aj13
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
big, physical, shut down capabilities, fast...can be coached into a shut down corner...at 25 that's a great pick...and the pick i called on the finheaven mock last week...

Quadfather
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Its a great pick with TO and Randy Moss in our division. Hopefully Randy Moss doesnt F our secondary now.

Quadfather
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
The more i read about Vontae Davis, the more i love him. This kid really has the talent to be a top end shut down corner.

TheDon74
04-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Its a great pick with TO and Randy Moss in our division. Hopefully Randy Moss doesnt F our secondary now.

I'm not sure but I don't think he will be covering the #1 reciver at least not right away. Will Allen is still our #1 corner. I really like the pick though.

Pitbull13
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Did you watch the Arizona, New England at Miami, Jets at Miami, and Kansas City game last year?

Pitbull13
04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
He will start opposite will allen on the season opener

Mcganiel
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I love it.

SamIam
04-25-2009, 07:34 PM

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

4THand10
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Good pick and fills a need at CB.

Bofin
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Good pick and fills a need at CB.

can't seem to actually read your comments until i put them in the quote box

ryanosaur2000
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
It is a good pick for sure. He seems to be a great coverage back and lets face it that was a big need for us.

finfan54
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Im horny!

Lets go Vonte! If character was the only issue and the regime looked into it...i trust it all the way!

nosleep
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Best of all he can TACKLE. I can't tell you how many missed tackles our corners had last year that broke for huge plays. Too many. I love this pick.

JT-forpresident
04-25-2009, 09:19 PM
i was really, trully, hoping for darius butler, but im ham3red drunk right now and i'm pretty psyched to hear to hearto hear we drafted a top notch corner with 25.... i thoguht bitler was a bettre wuarters cover corner but hey, im ahppy with davis :D

Digital
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM

Actually, Jason Allen is one of the reasons I like the Vontae Davis pick. Now I am still scratching my head over having the choices to take Matthews at 25, and Barwin or Sintim at 44, and walking away with Davis at 25, Pat White (horrible pick IMHO) at 44, and Sean Smith at 56; but still no SOLB, no WOLB, and no ILB's.

But when you look at the macro view of our secondary, we've really taken care of this position. Think about it. Will Allen doesn't have the height, reach, power, or even probably speed of the rest of the CB's, but he's an exceptional CB and definitely our #1 CB. Accross from him we have the standard in Eric Green, a moderately talented kid with the physical tools to become an above-average CB and a good enough attitude to be considered a solid baseline.

Then we have the contenders. Jason Allen has the size, speed, fluidity and playmaking ability you want at the position, but he just doesn't have the brains to play mistake-free ball. But if I'm Vontae Davis, I realize that Green is good enough to allow me to be put in the dog house for being a prima dona, and if Jason Allen puts it all together he has essentially the same physical ability I do, so if I actually get into that dog house ... I might have to endure a prolonged stay. Every practice I slack off feigning injury is another practice for Green to develop and for Jason Allen's light to start turning on. Then there is Sean Smith, a guy who isn't as fast and not nearly physical enough, lacks the fluid hips of Vontae Davis and Jason Allen, but at 6'3 with long arms has the build and enough speed to cover the premier receivers in our division like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens probably as well as Vontae Davis or Jason Allen.

So if I'm Vontae Davis, I look to my left ... and see a damn talented CB. I look to my right ... and see another damn talented CB. I look in front of me ... and see a third damn talented CB. I look in front of him and I see Will Allen, our best CB. Aside from Green, I no longer am the clear-cut most talented CB on my team for the first time in my life. When I look behind me I see two beasts in Yeremiah Bell and Gibril Wilson, neither of whom is going to tolerate me being a prima dona. In my face is a Position Coach with an embarassment of youthful riches at his disposal and a Head Coach who doesn't tolerate any shennanigans. If I'm still not convinced that clowning around isn't such a good idea, there's always Bill Parcells glaring eyes floating around "observing" me.

I don't know whether Davis is going to be a success or not, but he has unquestioned ability in a draft that has a lot of bustable prospects and not a ton of talent. Given the risk/reward Davis presents and the situation he is being brought into here in Miami, I think he has a good chance to become a very good CB.

Of course, my giddy draft-day heart is envisioning a faster Sam Madison, but my battle-scarred head knows that this is unlikely. Still, as Jimmy Johnson once said, I'd rather take a chance on greatness than settle for mediocrity. Vontae Davis has that chance.

I like the Vontae Davis pick ... don't love it, but I do like it. I really like the Sean Smith pick and think having those two compete with one another and Jason Allen will really see at least 1 of them develop and probably get the best out of all 3 ... whatever that may be.

I'm still quite bummed about the Pat White pick. Looking at the Wildcat, we weren't all that productive from it once defenses had seen enough of it to scheme against it, and while we can throw in more gimic plays to keep it fresh and unbalence defenses, I'd have rather added a core player with the 44 pick. Connor Barwin was still available and I'd have rather gambled on greatness with him than invested in gimics with Pat White. :(

Soxpranos
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I have seen the kid play 8 games in person. He is a very smart kid and plays with an attitude. Illinois is not a school for dummies (even their athletes), so his smarts certainly do not surprise me. Character issues are blown out of proportion. Good pick, and he is physical.

eric1317
04-25-2009, 11:59 PM
What disappoints me the most about this pick is how Ireland stated we were going to take "high charactor guys who fit our system". As far as charactor goes it doesn't get much worse than Davis. I get why they took this turd of a humanbeing. They think they can scare him straight but its extremely hypocritical. He's also not the brightest bulb. I hope he can manage the mental aspects of the game.

Clipse
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Love the Vontae Davis pick. Absolutely love it. Best corner in the draft imo. A sure tackler, so no more missed tackles coming from our Corners, wooot! Vontae has the talent to be a top 5 corner in this league. He's a bit of a headcase, not as big of one as his brother though, and I feel this is the perfect coaching staff to solve that. Again, great pick.

HybridPHIN 23
04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
i'm shocked he fell this far.... i kinda wanted Maualuga more and figured he might fall to us.... But Vontae i thought we had no shot at ! Fits more of a need, and He has elite skills.

this pick is atleast B+ worthy in my mind... as i was hoping for even Butler at 25 !!

Mr772
04-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Most physical talent of all the CB's in the draft IMO. Great Pick!

Phinatic8u
04-26-2009, 01:51 AM

Seriosuly dude NO!! :foundout:

Phinatic8u
04-26-2009, 01:53 AM
IMHO he is the best all around CB...Jenkins is just a little bit more agresive..but VDavis is a better cover corner

CrazyCarl
04-26-2009, 02:37 AM
What disappoints me the most about this pick is how Ireland stated we were going to take "high charactor guys who fit our system". As far as charactor goes it doesn't get much worse than Davis. I get why they took this turd of a humanbeing. They think they can scare him straight but its extremely hypocritical. He's also not the brightest bulb. I hope he can manage the mental aspects of the game.

Uh what? He scored a 33 on the Wonderlic

And don't you think if he had serious character issues they would have passed. They do their homework, and clearly as Jeff Ireland said, his character issues aren't a concern.

Elliott 1
04-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I read one of Vontae's interviews and when they asked him what kind of music he listened to in order to get pumped up for the games; his respone was that he didn't listen to music before games, he quoted bible verses from memory like the 23rd Psalm and some others.

Sounds to me like a kid who takes the game seriously.

jim1
04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Actually, Jason Allen is one of the reasons I like the Vontae Davis pick. Now I am still scratching my head over having the choices to take Matthews at 25, and Barwin or Sintim at 44, and walking away with Davis at 25, Pat White (horrible pick IMHO) at 44, and Sean Smith at 56; but still no SOLB, no WOLB, and no ILB's.

But when you look at the macro view of our secondary, we've really taken care of this position. Think about it. Will Allen doesn't have the height, reach, power, or even probably speed of the rest of the CB's, but he's an exceptional CB and definitely our #1 CB. Accross from him we have the standard in Eric Green, a moderately talented kid with the physical tools to become an above-average CB and a good enough attitude to be considered a solid baseline.

Then we have the contenders. Jason Allen has the size, speed, fluidity and playmaking ability you want at the position, but he just doesn't have the brains to play mistake-free ball. But if I'm Vontae Davis, I realize that Green is good enough to allow me to be put in the dog house for being a prima dona, and if Jason Allen puts it all together he has essentially the same physical ability I do, so if I actually get into that dog house ... I might have to endure a prolonged stay. Every practice I slack off feigning injury is another practice for Green to develop and for Jason Allen's light to start turning on. Then there is Sean Smith, a guy who isn't as fast and not nearly physical enough, lacks the fluid hips of Vontae Davis and Jason Allen, but at 6'3 with long arms has the build and enough speed to cover the premier receivers in our division like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens probably as well as Vontae Davis or Jason Allen.

So if I'm Vontae Davis, I look to my left ... and see a damn talented CB. I look to my right ... and see another damn talented CB. I look in front of me ... and see a third damn talented CB. I look in front of him and I see Will Allen, our best CB. Aside from Green, I no longer am the clear-cut most talented CB on my team for the first time in my life. When I look behind me I see two beasts in Yeremiah Bell and Gibril Wilson, neither of whom is going to tolerate me being a prima dona. In my face is a Position Coach with an embarassment of youthful riches at his disposal and a Head Coach who doesn't tolerate any shennanigans. If I'm still not convinced that clowning around isn't such a good idea, there's always Bill Parcells glaring eyes floating around "observing" me.

I don't know whether Davis is going to be a success or not, but he has unquestioned ability in a draft that has a lot of bustable prospects and not a ton of talent. Given the risk/reward Davis presents and the situation he is being brought into here in Miami, I think he has a good chance to become a very good CB.

Of course, my giddy draft-day heart is envisioning a faster Sam Madison, but my battle-scarred head knows that this is unlikely. Still, as Jimmy Johnson once said, I'd rather take a chance on greatness than settle for mediocrity. Vontae Davis has that chance.

I like the Vontae Davis pick ... don't love it, but I do like it. I really like the Sean Smith pick and think having those two compete with one another and Jason Allen will really see at least 1 of them develop and probably get the best out of all 3 ... whatever that may be.

I'm still quite bummed about the Pat White pick. Looking at the Wildcat, we weren't all that productive from it once defenses had seen enough of it to scheme against it, and while we can throw in more gimic plays to keep it fresh and unbalence defenses, I'd have rather added a core player with the 44 pick. Connor Barwin was still available and I'd have rather gambled on greatness with him than invested in gimics with Pat White. :(

Will Allen is very, very fast. I've seen him at TC more than once and he and Jason Allen stand out in that regard.

eric1317
04-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Uh what? He scored a 33 on the Wonderlic

And don't you think if he had serious character issues they would have passed. They do their homework, and clearly as Jeff Ireland said, his character issues aren't a concern.
I could be wrong on the intelligance thing but from listening to his interviews I came away with the impression of him being one of the dumbest people I heard from in this draft. Maybe he's just bad on tv. Pro football weekly states "Talks down to coaches. Has been benched and suspended. Prima donna - thinks he walks on water and does not respect others. Beat too often and quits on plays - lacks mental toughness. Selective hitter - will duck his head on contact. Too often freelaces. Too many brain freezes and is inconsistent. Babies injuries to escape practice. Does not work at the craft and needs coverages to be simple. Average understanding of zone concepts. Doesnot make mental adjustments."
This is a harsh criticism I understand that. He is the most physically gifted db in the draft. I get that too. He was available at #25 because A) he's a jackass B) IMO he isn't very bright dispite his wonderlic.