PDA

View Full Version : Sean Smith?

mandal24
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
People on this site were obsessed with him.. hes still available..he'd be great DB depth at Safety and Cornerback.. some of you guys wanted him with our 1st pick.. so if we could get him with the 61st pick (pick from the Colts) that would be great!

miami_fins13
04-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah I hope we get him. Thatd give us another big corner that would help cover the big receivers we have to face. I was hoping Everette Brown would fall to us in the 2nd, but that didn't work...maybe Smith will...

Roman529
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I would take him right now.

aj13
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
he could help us in spread sets against he pats and bills...

miamiron
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
he is ours

canman1971
04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Got him.

aj13
that realllllllllllly helps us in the spread...and helps our safeties...i like him as a fast, cover safety...

miami_fins13
Got him! Much needed secondary help!

CitizenSnips
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
BIG pick. 6'3/4. I like it.

fiftyofhaze
amazing pick....im real happy bout day 1..here comes barden

ShaBam
Good pick.

newlownorder
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Perfect pick at this time. I said long ago that we needed to get 2 people in the secondary from this draft at least. I would love for us to still take a WR and DE/OLB.

DUB
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I would have been pleased with him at 44. To get a 5th and grab him at 61 is unreal to me! Great day today!

PHINZONER
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
This guy plays WR/RB/returner and cb

Interesting where we are going in the draft.

aj13
tim ryan

"i absolutely love this pick. as a safety. as a corner. i think he's a half field safety, a guy that can play center field for you...yeremiah bell is an in the box guy and gibril wilson is a guy who might have trouble in space, i think sean smith is perfect in that center field role and will absolutely thrive in miami..."

pat kirwan

"this is a great pick...this is the pick the cowboys should have made..."

Dolphins101
Very nice !! We got 2 good DB's and a slash qb/rb/wr to run the wild cat Offense. Very good draft so far imo. We improved the secondary that was our weakest link on our D.

dlockz
Well after my least favorite pick in recent dolphin history Pat White, I love this pick right here. Cant get the all right but you cannot tell me that Simtim woud not make our team better. We have our secondary of the future at least and add that to a future CFL MVP and we did good.

PJack
Good pick, Think he's more of a safety than corner. Word is he doesn't change direction well but good top end speed and ball skills.

skipp2myloo13
I would have been pleased with him at 44. To get a 5th and grab him at 61 is unreal to me! Great day today!

agreed

CJGoCanes
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Will Allen will be the best nickel corner in the league next year

hilslo
I don't get it. Vontae Daivs and Sean Smith with two of our first three picks??? And Pat White??? We shored up our secondary but this draft blows. Seems to me Ronnie Brown's days are numbers which i find very sad...

dtjp17
amazing pick love this guy

dtjp17
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
amazing pick love this guy

SR 7
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
wouldnt be surprised if he plays WR in the redzone.

SR 7
04-25-2009, 10:03 PM

dlockz
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't get it. Vontae Daivs and Sean Smith with two of our first three picks??? And Pat White??? We shored up our secondary but this draft blows. Seems to me Ronnie Brown's days are numbers which i find very sad...

This is kind of a love hate draft with me. Love we drafted two top corner prospects day one, hate we drafted a poor man;s Michael Vick in round 2.

67Stang
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I was going to post this (not twice though...hehe). I can totally see him on some fade patterns.

utahphinsfan
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
There has been a special on the cable channel here which is strictly about the Mtn West Conference.

Appearantly, Smith weighed about 215 early in the offseason but was about 208 at Utah's pro day.

He and his agent believe he's a CB. Regardless, Smith gives the phins flexibility in the secondary.

FWIW, Here a few of my day 1 thoughts, I'm disappointed Barwin wasn't selected @ 44 but at least he did not end up in Foxboro.

I do like the pick of Pat White but its a stretch at #44. I love how Steve Young got defensive when they dissed Beck.

CitizenSnips
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM

No. Think about it. If Pat Whites running the Wildcat, then Ronnie would be taking Rickys spot. or, more important, Pat White would be taking Penningtons spot.

Pennington is pretty useless in the wildcat after all. Just imagine having White there, and actually having someone we could throw to. Seriously, just think of how having White could lead to tons of different wildcat plays. I don't necessarily love the pick but with some creativity this is just going to drive D coordinators nuts.

uga3406
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM

You are proble right, since we do not have one WR over 6'0.

uga3406
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
This is kind of a love hate draft with me. Love we drafted two top corner prospects day one, hate we drafted a poor man;s Michael Vick in round 2.

You took the words right out of my mouth. White not only reminds me of Vick but he is going to be a bust just like him. Love Vontae and the SMith pick is ok but I think I love to see him at safety more then a corner.

chon-ji
04-25-2009, 11:16 PM
You are proble right, since we do not have one WR over 6'0.

Camarillo is 6'1" and London is 6'4".

PeepinTom
04-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Well after my least favorite pick in recent dolphin history Pat White, I love this pick right here. Cant get the all right but you cannot tell me that Simtim woud not make our team better. We have our secondary of the future at least and add that to a future CFL MVP and we did good.

Did the White pick mess up your mock draft or something? You just have been all over this pick. I guess the Dolphins will be calling you for future job opportunities because you can tell the future. Get over the fact that the Dolphins didn't take another 3-4 lb because they are a dime a dozen in this draft.

eric1317
04-25-2009, 11:30 PM
No. Think about it. If Pat Whites running the Wildcat, then Ronnie would be taking Rickys spot. or, more important, Pat White would be taking Penningtons spot.

Pennington is pretty useless in the wildcat after all. Just imagine having White there, and actually having someone we could throw to. Seriously, just think of how having White could lead to tons of different wildcat plays. I don't necessarily love the pick but with some creativity this is just going to drive D coordinators nuts.
Think about this, pat white comes in and pennington goes out and the D knows one of a handfull of trick plays is coming at them. Takes a little bit of the suprise out of that package. Give defenses a couple weeks of game film and White will be worthless. The only way this pick works is if white is at least a competant WR so he can play in our regular offense as well.

CitizenSnips
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Think about this, pat white comes in and pennington goes out and the D knows one of a handfull of trick plays is coming at them. Takes a little bit of the suprise out of that package. Give defenses a couple weeks of game film and White will be worthless. The only way this pick works is if white is at least a competant WR so he can play in our regular offense as well.

With pat white, we won't have a handful of trick plays. We'll have an entire playbook of plays out of the wildcat. If we run it right, and Henning is creative enough, this could work.

Also, it doesn't have to be a trick play. Pat White would be capable of taking the snap from the wildcat position and just dropping back and throwing it. Something Ronnie could never do. All of a sudden the wildcats just a legitimate formation.

slackman9
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Pat White is a football player, period. He's a playmaker, the dude produced his whole career, he's not gonna stop now, I love our draft.

Clipse
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Only reason the Wildcat worked is because Pennington was on the field, and they couldn't tell it was coming, therefore not being able to make the proper subs. Pennington will stay in the Wildcat. Not sure what White's role will be. For a high 2nd rounder you can bet your *** he wasn't brought in just for the Wildcat. I recall White saying he wanted to play QB in the NFL, not any other position, so we shall see how that factors in. Not a fan one bit of the pick, but I trust Parcells knows something I don't.

RocDolphan17
04-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Hes an absolute MONSTER of a corner. By all accounts it will take a little while for him to develop but with Davis getting picked up in the 1st, if they plan on him being a CB he has time for that development. Anyone know if there is ACTUALLY any documented talk coming from the front office of him playing safety?

Valandui
04-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Hes an absolute MONSTER of a corner. By all accounts it will take a little while for him to develop but with Davis getting picked up in the 1st, if they plan on him being a CB he has time for that development. Anyone know if there is ACTUALLY any documented talk coming from the front office of him playing safety?
Ireland said in the PC that he would play corner.

#1dolphinsfan
cant wait to see him vontae davis and WIll allen at our CB spots

uga3406
Camarillo is 6'1" and London is 6'4".

Smith has a better shot at being a red zone target then London this yr

RocDolphan17
04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
awesome Camel Toe shot of Kelly Kapowski in your sig by the way.......virtual high five my friend......

PeepinTom
04-26-2009, 12:28 AM
awesome Camel Toe shot of Kelly Kapowski in your sig by the way.......virtual high five my friend......
I thought the same thing my friend. Great minds think alike.

RichmondWeb
04-26-2009, 12:33 AM
White could end up being the next Hines Ward, Randel-El, or Kordell Stewart (except that he would be on the team that I love as opposed to the team that I most despise). The offense could use him split-out, reverse, flea-flick, end-around, slot, backfield, and QB. In this pick I see the Dolphins taking what they want. Perhaps a reach and perhaps not a need but obviously this was their guy and the direction they want to go. Kordell's "Slash" heyday took the Stealers to a superbowl, Randel-El got(stole) a ring, and they bagged Dixon last year to carry on the tradition. Miami's offense just wasn't good enough last year, it needs more threats, especially against the shoot-out teams. If this works, we could be a cutting edge offense that defenses will hate to try to prepare for. Reach? Yes. Gamble? Big time. Possibilites? Huge! Thinking outside the box, moving in a decisive direction, not traditional Dolphin modus operendi but......Maybe that's why we only host superbowls these days instead of playing in them.
White had an unusually successful college career.

Mr772
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
I thought the same thing my friend. Great minds think alike.

+1!

Mr772
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
We just got a lot better in the backfield on D. Davis is #1 CB talent and Smith is a rare athlete at his size and speed.

Also after reading about the Vick/White comparisons - I have to say that White is considered a much better passer than Vick coming out of college.

RocDolphan17
04-26-2009, 01:06 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. White not only reminds me of Vick but he is going to be a bust just like him. Love Vontae and the SMith pick is ok but I think I love to see him at safety more then a corner.

This is where I dont get it. Until he went to jail for COMPLETELY off the field issues, I fail to see where a Mike Vick was a "bust." During the Fiedler days you guys would have been DROOLING over Vick coming to Dolphins. Don't be so quick to judge. If The Tuna sees something in him to take him that early I'm in. There were many saying Merling and Langford were reaches this same day last year and they produced VERY well for rookies. Have faith fellas.....

Clipse
04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
As Valandui has stated, Ireland said in his PC that Smith will be playing Corner.

Clipse
04-26-2009, 01:20 AM
This is where I dont get it. Until he went to jail for COMPLETELY off the field issues, I fail to see where a Mike Vick was a "bust." During the Fiedler days you guys would have been DROOLING over Vick coming to Dolphins. Don't be so quick to judge. If The Tuna sees something in him to take him that early I'm in. There were many saying Merling and Langford were reaches this same day last year and they produced VERY well for rookies. Have faith fellas.....
Vick was a horrible passer. As for being a bust, not sure about that. Teams had alot of trouble stopping Atlanta's rushing attack those days, Warrick Dunn was a great compliment.

With that being said, White is a better passer.

Aqua and Orange
04-26-2009, 01:48 AM
After two high risk, high reward picks, it's nice that we went with a pick that all of us can agree is fantastic. Smith still is pretty raw, but the tools are all there for him to be a very special player.

hilslo
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM

You're right. Ireland commented that he isn't actively shopping Ronnie and Pat White does make the Wildcat much more dangerous. After digesting the picks overnight I feel a lot better about the first day of the draft. I felt our pass rush was our biggest weakness going into the draft and was disappointed/frustrated we didn't address that yesterday. Hopefully we'll draft a good OLB today.

uga3406
04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Ok I do retract some of the things i Said about this pick. Will Allen is a free agent after this year so now it makes more sense to me. Like i said in a post a few mins ago, we now have 2 of the best young corners in the whole entire draft.

utahphinsfan
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
White not only reminds me of Vick but he is going to be a bust just like him.

White has better passing skills than Vick has ever or will ever have.

Further, I'll go out on a limb and say White has FAR LESS character issues.