PDA

View Full Version : If you were running the dolphins draft who would you have taken.

dlockz
04-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I do this every year as I watch the draft. Last year I would have took the same three picks as the dolphins. When I do this its based on at the pick, no retrospect when I see another player fell later. I would be very interested to know what some other people would have done with those picks.

Pick 25- Intially looking to land a receiver or corner. Vontae Davis or Hakeem Nicks are my choices. A few players fell farther than anyone expected so everette Brown and Rey Maluaga enter the discussion.

I take Hakeem Nicks based on our need and that there are still alot of good corners left.

Pick 44- Salivating over some good corners left, Rey maluaga, Everette Brown and Brace. Brace is my initial projection. All the top fallers are snatched up.

De -Conner Barwin barely over Sintim

After trading down the players that Im looking at are Coye Francis my intial projection and Sean Smith who has fallen farther than expected.

CB -Sean Smith

So I finally match up with the FO thinking.

Gilo45
04-26-2009, 08:28 AM
I would have gone Rey Mauluga first up.

2A for Sean Smith, and 2B with Pat White.

The WR would come at 3, in Ramses Barden.

skipp2myloo13
04-26-2009, 08:29 AM
As soon as i make myself even enter the possibility that White may have been only a minimally terrible pick, i look on the board to see who else we could have gotten and get sick

clbrazee
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
1 - Kenny Britt
2a - Maualuga
2b - Sean Smith

skipp2myloo13
04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
1 - Kenny Britt
2a - Maualuga
2b - Sean Smith

Rey wasnt there.

emeraldfin
04-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Not selecting Barwin and going with White was the only selection I would have changed 100%. Davis and Smith were good value for where we got them in fairness.

RoninFin4
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
1. Davis
2. Sintim
3. Smith

But I understand why Pat White was the pick at 2a. You get a guy that frees up a lot of space on the roster. There's no need to carry John Beck, or a guy like Ernest Wilford. You get a WR option, personnel for the Wildcat, a 3rd QB, and potentially a return man - all in one player.

dlockz
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
As soon as i make myself even enter the possibility that White may have been only a minimally terrible pick, i look on the board to see who else we could have gotten and get sick

I share that view. Im pretty suprised that Parcells would break the mold of his drafting for this but you cant hit on them all.

fiftyofhaze
04-26-2009, 09:18 AM
ronin thats a well stated point bout white however i love that pick and i kno the pats wouldve got him if we slacked

dlockz
04-26-2009, 09:22 AM
ronin thats a well stated point bout white however i love that pick and i kno the pats wouldve got him if we slacked

One thing was obvious. The pats did not want white

RoninFin4
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM

The only team I know of - there could've been others - that made serious noise about Pat White was Dallas, which promptly traded out of the 1st day once White came off the board.

New England had severl chances to get White; if they'd really have wanted him, they'd have pulled the trigger.

DKphin
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Would have taken Butler over Davis. I know Davis is the more physical of the two and that is why Parcells & Co. took him, but my No. 1 thing that will nix a draft pick is attitude. Davis' attitude is terrible. He does not play within the team concept, freelances too much, and when the coaches try to correct his mistakes, he gives them a self-righteous indignation. My only hope is that Porter slams him into his locker and gives him a major attitude adjustment.

Pat White is a bad pick especially when you have others on the board that are going to contribute more than he will. There was no value with that pick. #44 was way to high to be picking him. Ireland has got to be nuts if he thinks he is going to be a QB in this league. Connor Barwin would have been my pick. He has position flexibility maning both SOLB and WOLB. He could also play TE and STs.

Sean Smith is the only pick that salvaged our day one. We got great value with picking him at the bottom of the 2nd and I think he can come in and contribute fairly early.

dlockz
04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
The only team I know of - there could've been others - that made serious noise about Pat White was Dallas, which promptly traded out of the 1st day once White came off the board.

New England had severl chances to get White; if they'd really have wanted him, they'd have pulled the trigger.

Shows u how stupid Dallas is since they have a guy that could run the wildcat in Stanback.

uga3406
04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
In stead of Michael Vick oops I mean Pat White I would of taken Clint Sintim.

3rdandinches
04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm completely good with Davis and Smith because they we're clearly BPA and fits a strong need. P.White at 44, I personally would have taken Barwin his athletic ability is way to good to pass up. I would have been happy with Sintim, M.Johnson, J.Gilbert, P.Kruger or a trade down.

Zounds
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm wondering is that Pat White was a panic pick. I could have had Ron Brace and Darius Butler on their board for the 2A pick, and New England jumped ahead and took both of them, and the Fins could not trade out of the spot and had to make a choice.

dlockz
04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm wondering is that Pat White was a panic pick. I could have had Ron Brace and Darius Butler on their board for the 2A pick, and New England jumped ahead and took both of them, and the Fins could not trade out of the spot and had to make a choice.

I dont think it was a panic pick, although Im curious how thier draft board was before those people went off the board. They obviously liked White.
All I can say is PAt White is a Miami Dolphin. No matter how I wish he wasnt. Prove me wrong Pat please.

General Tso
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I would've went:

25 - Rey Maualuga
44 - Sean Smith
56 - Jarron Gilbert

ticophin
04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
1.Rey Maualuga
2.Sean Smith
3.Michael Johnson

Johnson is still alive, highly unlikely he makes it to our pick....

dlockz
04-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Now onto day 2.

So far my picks are
25-Hakeem Nicks Wr
44-Conner Barwin DE/LB
61-Sean Smith CB

Round 3 pick 23

Need another corner,DT ,OL TE
Shooting for Caldwell, maybe Roy Miller,

I go with Jared Cook over Moore from Vandy.
Elite speed for a TE and hasgood size.

3-Jared Cook Te

Onto round 4

4-Dj Moore . lacks ideal height but is a starting ability player that should have went higher. Wanted Collie but went with a bigger need.

Round 5
Torn between Robinson and Johnson but Robinson seems a much better overall prospect

5-Duke Robinson G

5b-Myron Pryor DT

Round 6

RB-Cedric Peerman

Round 7 Shocked he isstill here

LB Zack Follet
Round 6

ssnjamerson
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
1-Vonte Davis
2-COnner Barwin/Sintim
2b-Sean Smith
3-INglesias
4-DJ Moore/Sammie Lee Hill/Sidbury
5-Duke Robinson/Jamon Meredith
5-Herman Johnson
6-Brandon Gibson
7-AQ Shipley/Mickens/Canfield

After looking at all the better players we could have had it makes me more pissed than i was initially

Charlie Brown
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I loved the Vontae Davis pick....is no one else exciting were getting a very talented and a absolute freakish CB?

camanda
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Round 5, instead of John Nalbone, take LSU Herman Johnson (6'7", 365 lbs) and try to make him into a NT. You've got a guy with unbelievable size and strength and he's got at least as good a shot at being an NFL NT as Nalbone has of being an NFL TE.

Pinkboy
04-28-2009, 01:46 AM

Charlie Casserly said that Parcells told him the dolphins were going to take White with their first 2nd rounder no matter who was on the board. If White was still there he'd be a fin. Parcells told him that last year. Casserly said Parcells is absolutely in love with White and thinks he is everything a football player is supposed to be.

That was last year. Casserly and Parcells are best friends. The Dolphins have been targeting White for a long time.

thejetssuck
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
1. Hakeem Nicks
2.a Clint Sintim or Michael Johnson ( I keep going back and forth on this one)
2.b Sean Smith
3. D.J Moore
4. James Casey
5.a. Jamon Meredith
5.b Frantz Joseph
6. A.Q Shipley
7.a Rashad Jennings
7.b Dudley Guice

fgrocker
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I was disappointed at first when we took White with the first second rounder, but when we were able to pick up Sean Smith, I was thrilled. I would've been totally happy with 2a - Smith and 2b - White, so it worked out well.

FINMAN13
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
While it's easy to say...

I would have taken him over him, b/c I could get him at the next pick...

Too bad it's not really like that. One pick changes the next couple. One positional pick can start a wave of picks from that position. So unless you got a copy of their draft board, you are simply blowing off steam, none of which amounts to anything.

Those that don't like the draft, just do what you always do, hang in there, pull for the Fins and the players will change your mind. If not, I'm sure we will see you post about what bad picks they are...

Just remember 2 seasons ago, we only won 1 game. Then BP and Co. come on board and turn things around with the draft, free agency, trades and hard work. It was like a broken record...In Tuna We Trust!!! So, what's changed? Did he not get your memo about a player that was gonna hook you up with some of his signing bonus? Chances are no... So let the FO finish what they started without bashing them all to hell. After all they know more than ANYONE ON THIS BOARD about football. They get to meet these guys, research their backgrounds, WORK THEM OUT IN PRIVATE. So, yeah I think their board like 31 other teams fell the best it could with the approach they took.

I like the draft, so I am happy as hell. But if I did not, I'm sure I would be on this board complaining about what bad picks they are as well. Luckily I don't have to do that this season.