PDA

View Full Version : This is not a Bill Parcells draft

DKphin
04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I think Parcells is sitting back at letting his protege take full control of this draft and he is failing miserably. How in the Hell do you take Brian Hartline when Louis Murphy is on the board. I would not have taken a WR, but taking Hartline makes no sense.

dlockz
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I think Parcells is sitting back at letting his protege take full control of this draft and he is failing miserably. How in the Hell do you take Brian Hartline when Louis Murphy is on the board. I would not have taken a WR, but taking Hartline makes no sense.

Well now we have the market cornered on 4.5 receivers including Pat white.
I told this board that if we did not take Nicks in the first the talent level real fell.

MarinePhinFan
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
On the contrary.

Every person selected in this draft fits Bill's mold.

WelcomeBack
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm going to wait to pass judgement on the draft. The front office obviously knows things we don't know. Maybe they feel more confident in certain positions than we all do.

Cam's injury. Wilford's practice problem. Soliai's maturity. Wake's possibilities.

It's not a strong draft by any means, so they have some kind of plan going on.

fishypete
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Jerry Rice ran slow....Irvin ran slow....give it a break already. They have their reasons.

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
i agree we should of take murphy but hartline us good he is a tall version of wes welker. Trust r Draft now R Offense has Great Firepower... D Coordinators r gonna be scared

PALMA
04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
It's okay to question a team's motives. Brian Hartline really?

DKphin
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
i agree we should of take murphy but hartline us good he is a tall version of wes welker. Trust r Draft now R Offense has Great Firepower... D Coordinators r gonna be scared
We don't have anyone on the roster like Welker:rolleyes2:

RoninFin4
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Hartline represents a bigger, faster version of Greg Camarillo. I love GC, but after that knee injury (maybe it's a little worse than originally thought), I see how Hartline makes sense.

Looking at our WR Depth in no particular order:

1. Ginn
2. Bess
3. London
4. Turner
5. Hartline
6. Camarillo
7. Wilford

We all know Wilford is expendable at this point, and I'm not afraid to stick myself in the minority, but I think Camarillo might be as well. I know he got that extension, but if his knee isn't coming along as well as hoped and the front office had a chance to add a bigger, faster version of him - why not?

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Also special team

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JiSSlyWy70

Greatness920
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
ted ginn has got some family now that means they both will be great!!

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
We don't have anyone on the roster like Welker:rolleyes2:

Yea but we usein him for special teams and for WR depth

cuban_refugee
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm going to wait to pass judgement on the draft. The front office obviously knows things we don't know. Maybe they feel more confident in certain positions than we all do.

Cam's injury. Wilford's practice problem. Soliai's maturity. Wake's possibilities.

It's not a strong draft by any means, so they have some kind of plan going on.

I agree with you. This draft is not very strong - it is more of a "depth" draft. More than the picks that we're making, I'm surprised that we aren't trading down more!! There should have been suitors and we could have still taken the players we have.

WelcomeBack
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Hartline represents a bigger, faster version of Greg Camarillo. I love GC, but after that knee injury (maybe it's a little worse than originally thought), I see how Hartline makes sense.

Looking at our WR Depth in no particular order:

1. Ginn
2. Bess
3. London
4. Turner
5. Hartline
6. Camarillo
7. Wilford

We all know Wilford is expendable at this point, and I'm not afraid to stick myself in the minority, but I think Camarillo might be as well. I know he got that extension, but if his knee isn't coming along as well as hoped and the front office had a chance to add a bigger, faster version of him - why not?

Bingo!

Wilford can be replaced with Turner.

Cam...if his injury isn't progressing as well as thought, would not be on the roster opening day...and Hartline provides that insurance and a ST guy.

miamiron
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM

I agree with players Sidbury,Mourphy and a number of other players available we get mediocre receivers to add to the mediocre receivers we already have

miamiron
04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Jerry Rice ran slow....Irvin ran slow....give it a break already. They have their reasons.

Great pick the two exceptions that the world has ever seen

I would be willing to bet you that we dont get 1/2 of the production out of the 2 picks compared to the players you mentioned

ZachThomas76
04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Who drafted Michael Johnson? what pick did he go at? sorry, gf has TV right now lol.

miamiron
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
It's okay to question a team's motives. Brian Hartline really?

There talking special teams ace on WQAM
but do you use a 4th rounder for this...when the possibility he would have been available much later in the draft...and to say you blindly accept what this team
drafts is downright stupid.I have questions regarding last year with the 2 running back wasted draft picks and I'm still scraching my head regarding Murphy in the 4th
(didn't we move up for him)plus we still don't know what we have with Henne or Thomas.

I like the improvement going from 1-15 to 11-5 but YES it was an easy schedule and YES we did get manhandled
by New England in the second match up last year
NEVER MIND HOW WE WERE SPANKED IN THE PLAYOFFS

This team has improved but make no mistake we are NOT as good as many here want or believe...we have a long way to go and I question certain picks BECAUSE I WANT THIS TEAM TO WIN AND DOMINATE IN THE PROCESS!!!

finfan54
04-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Brian Hartline = Good special teamer who will probably be moving around a bit on the last 5 of the roster.

We are obviously targeting character guys who are in a key role or special teams but the CB's are going to start for us in future. Pat White fits the obvious Wildcat that alot of teams we play this year have not seen. Its about to get wilder.

Dolphin39
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM
but do you use a 4th rounder for this...when the possibility he would have been available much later in the draft...and to say you blindly accept what this team
drafts is downright stupid.I have questions regarding last year with the 2 running back wasted draft picks and I'm still scraching my head regarding Murphy in the 4th
(didn't we move up for him)plus we still don't know what we have with Henne or Thomas.

I like the improvement going from 1-15 to 11-5 but YES it was an easy schedule and YES we did get manhandled

This team has improved but make no mistake we are NOT as good as many here want or believe...we have a long way to go and I question certain picks BECAUSE I WANT THIS TEAM TO WIN AND DOMINATE IN THE PROCESS!!!

Great post; I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!!

MarinePhinFan
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM

I would be willing to bet you that we dont get 1/2 of the production out of the 2 picks compared to the players you mentioned

Wow, you're really going out on a limb there. Saying that we won't get the best WR to ever play the game and possibly another top 5 GOAT. :rolleyes2:

I don't think he meant to compare our draft players to Rice or Irvin, just that you never really know.

Marino was a called a bust when first picked. How many QB's went before him?

The NFL draft is filled with these "no name" stories.

SQuinn17
04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
When did Louis Murphy get so good?

finfan54
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Things have changed. The Ravens have changed. The Patriots just sold off Ellis Hobbs because of Derius Butler. Seems some rookies are getting PT right away in NE. Spanked? We will see. Right now is just a knee jerk reaction.

SnakeoilSeller
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM

I think it is kind of a ridiculous thought. So Bill had an opportunity to leave with all that money at the end of the season, just so he could watch Ireland do the draft with no input? I think it is perfectly alright to question the FO moves, but that is a little extreme. I could hear the exchange now:

Ireland: "I really like Turner, what do you think Bill"
Tuna: "I think we can get him in round 4 or 5, but it's your draft, you make the call"
Ireland: "Thanks, Bill."
:crazy:

fishypete
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM

"A fool and his money is soon parted." You should never bet before you know the results and before the reasons why.

DKphin
04-26-2009, 02:09 PM
The last two years. Sure, he was not the focal point of the offense. But I know he is a Hell of a lot better than Brian Hartline.

fishypete
04-26-2009, 02:34 PM

"A fool and his money is soon parted." You should never bet before you know the results and before the reasons why.

utahphinsfan
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
ted ginn has got some family now that means they both will be great!!

Does that mean Soliai will behave because Smith was drafted?

I hate circular logic.

bert
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
drafts is downright stupid I have questions regarding last year with the 2 running back wasted draft picks and I'm still scraching my head regarding Murphy in the 4th

This team has improved but make no mistake we are NOT as good as many here want or believe...we have a long way to go and I question certain picks BECAUSE I WANT THIS TEAM TO WIN AND DOMINATE IN THE PROCESS!!!.i dont have a clue to this draft.the fact is the bp said that we had the worst personal he had ever seen on a football team.how we finished last year ,was the damndest thing i have ever seen in football.we are building for years down the road still.

HybridPHIN 23
04-26-2009, 03:16 PM
how can you say this is not a parcells draft and then complain that we took a huge WR over a average one from UF....
the only thing thats makes sense about it is that your obviously a gators fan !!

utahphinsfan
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Let me offer this caveat; I do not like the Ohio St and am a big SEC fan.

The differences are; 1) Florida WR's have an established history of tanking in The NFL, & 2) T. Pryor will still have upside & potential as a college senior.

In 7 yrs, I fully expect to see Pryor as an NFL QB and Tebow as a evangelical preacher/motivational speaker on late night infomercials.

Huffer
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM

So you think you want to win more than the trifecta? They have all the info and have in depth scoutting reports on all of the players we are looking at.... but since you want to win more, the picks you think we should make must be the right moves?

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with our picks..... but to say it like the guys who turned a 1-15 bottom dweller into the AFC East champs don't want to win and dominate as bad as you........ seems quite arrogant.

Regardless of if you like it or not...... the guys picked are Miami Dolphins. Let's at least let them give us a few reasons, as Dolphins, before we discard them as mere wasted picks and draft fodder.

ZachThomas76
04-26-2009, 04:01 PM

Florida Gator wr's have a tradition of excelling in the NFL. Come on now.

shula_guy
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
One of the things that jumps out at me about this draft is the emphasis on power. We are looking at big physical specimines. Which is very Parcells like. Parcels likes to win by physically dominating his opponets and thats what this draft seems to be focused on. Big corners and Big recievers.

bluehaze
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
It's obviously a Parcell's draft it's the same thing he did last year, took all O and D Line with the first 6 picks except for Henne because he fell in our laps. This year he's taking all Secondary and Recievers. People bitched about it last year too but it worked out pretty good then and it will work out pretty good now as well IMO Safety in numbers he may not hit on them all but he's guaranteed to hit on enough to fill the holes that need to be filled. So regardless the team get's better.

Parcell's has built championship teams everyhwere he's been, I'm sure he knows far more about it that anyone posting on this board :up:

hemidemon
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
All I know is the people covering this draft that have NFL experience like what Miami is doing. That carries a lot of weight with me.

Clipse
04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
The last two years. Sure, he was not the focal point of the offense. But I know he is a Hell of a lot better than Brian Hartline.
Hartline was a reach, I agree. But don't let your Florida homerism get in the way of evaluating players, please. Murphy is not "a hell of alot better" than Hartline. Better? Perhaps. But your making it sound like Murphy is some World-Beater or something, and he's not.

Dolfan1000
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
The guy with the Florida Gators flag under his name would have preferred Murphy? I am shocked by this development. Parcells will never be a guy that drafts based purely on "name". That is precisely why none of you will ever be happy with one of his drafts.

Finnie85
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
One of the things that jumps out at me about this draft is the emphasis on power. We are looking at big physical specimines. Which is very Parcells like. Parcels likes to win by physically dominating his opponets and thats what this draft seems to be focused on. Big corners and Big recievers.

i couldn't agree more. davis is a beast in the weight room. pat white is rated one of the fastest qb's based on combine 40 times. sean smith is a huge cb at 6' 3" and still runs a 4.4 or 4.5 (we almost got butler if NE didn't take him at #41). Turner and hartline are tall possession type receivers (though unpolished at that). Nalbone... i dunno this guy but i hope they see something in him. Clemens was a beast in the combine beating out alot of other safeties please look into this :
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-broad-jump

u can see clemens beats some top rated safeties as far as physical prowess.

Phinatic8u
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
There big guys...isnt that what Parcells drafts....& all of you guys just want the big names not actual football players,, if parcells drafts him i like it cause well its Parcells

MustangFinFan
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
guys, what did we see last year against the Ravens? We had NO RECEIVERS. NO OFFENSIVE FIREPOWER.

Pat White gives us firepower. The other guys give us insurance. Much needed insurance. I see Turner being a starter, maybe a #3 receiver. Hartline is apparently a tough one, whos not afraid to take or give a hit...so he MAY creep into the #4 spot.

All i know is, our receiver competition is gonna be good. And u better believe, the best 4 guys will be good.

normaniii
04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
im surprised we did not take herman johnson or meredith for depth and competition across the O line......but when i think about it BP, JI and TS continually talk about competition at each position and when you look at who we drafted and the positions we drafted it creates that to no end. You look at every position on our roster we have competition all over, people fighting for a roster spot, which is typically what BP wants.

Mr772
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I told this board that if we did not take Nicks in the first the talent level real fell.

Nicks ran a 4.65 sooo..... what exatly are you trying to say about 4.5 receivers? That it is better to have 4.6 receivers?? :confused:

Quadfather
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
hartline is a steal guys! he ran a 4.45 at his pro day and had a 37.5 inch verticle. i watch almost all the ohio state games when i can, being from columbus, and hartline is the best route runner ive seen in college football this year. he reminds me of a taller eddie royal, the reciever from virginia tech that went to the broncos and caught 90 balls. now im not saying hartline is going to catch 90 balls, but he is going to have an immediate impact as a slot reciever. the thing i loved about him was he was always open and every catch he was picking up first downs. i love the pick.

fishypete
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
i couldn't agree more. davis is a beast in the weight room. pat white is rated one of the fastest qb's based on combine 40 times. sean smith is a huge cb at 6' 3" and still runs a 4.4 or 4.5 (we almost got butler if NE didn't take him at #41). Turner and hartline are tall possession type receivers (though unpolished at that). Nalbone... i dunno this guy but i hope they see something in him. Clemens was a beast in the combine beating out alot of other safeties please look into this :
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-broad-jump

u can see clemens beats some top rated safeties as far as physical prowess.

We don't know that the Dophins wanted Butler...my best guess is if they did...they would have taken him at 25.

PATSSUCK
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Yea we should have taken Murphy, because the NFL is littered with successful Florida Wrs that dont play in traditional NFL offenses. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Stop being a Gator homer

X-Pacolypse
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM

It's not a Bill Parcells draft because he didn't take one of your beloved Gators? C'mon now, DK. You're better than this.

fishypete
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Just wondering what Murphy did to get all this love?

When you look at both receivers...Turner has more to offer than Murphy. Murphy has alittle more speed...but we Dolphin fans know that speed doesn't always mean production. Turner is 2 inches taller...20 lbs heavier and played in a pro-style offense.

BillParFan
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
We don't know that the Dophins wanted Butler...my best guess is if they did...they would have taken him at 25.

Quite possibly you are correct.

But then Davis dropped to 25...........:hello:

fishypete
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Quite possibly you are correct.

But then Davis dropped to 25...........:hello:

I don't see that a big deal...the top corner was picked at 14. When you look at the needs of teams...QB, OL and DE's/OLB's were far more a need for many teams.

rrrrphin
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I think this was indeed a Parcells, Ireland and Saprano draft.

What it wasn't was a draft for the fans. I think we all wanted to update the DBs and WRs. They jusy choose to go about it with the players that best fit their plans...not necessarily high profile picks...or the low profile picks that we thought they would take because some website said the Fish are being linked to such and such a player.

They blew up everybody's mock. Let's hope they blow away the competition as well.

The Hartline pick is starting to grow on me. I really like the Pat Whiet pick, i just think we picked him too early.

X-Pacolypse
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I think this was indeed a Parcells, Ireland and Saprano draft.

What it wasn't was a draft for the fans. I think we all wanted to update the DBs and WRs. They jusy choose to go about it with the players that best fit their plans...not necessarily high profile picks...or the low profile picks that we thought they would take because some website said the Fish are being linked to such and such a player.

They blew up everybody's mock. Let's hope they blow away the competition as well.

The Hartline pick is starting to grow on me. I really like the Pat Whiet pick, i just think we picked him too early.

They DEFINATELY blew up mine. :lol:

fishypete
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
They DEFINATELY blew up mine. :lol:

Mine too...but I got one! :woot:

ShaneHulscher
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
No doubt I am a Gators fan and dont even think that highly of him, but whatever

PhinzN703
04-27-2009, 03:02 PM

You mention Bill Parcells and yourself in the same paragraph. Can we compare your resume to his to see who might know more?

ArmyFin7
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Lets see....big, strong physical DBs and WR....yeo sounds like Parcells to me.

LtDan
04-28-2009, 01:34 AM
oh please:rolleyes:

JCane
04-28-2009, 01:35 AM
How in the Hell do you take Brian Hartline when Louis Murphy is on the board.

Louis Murphy is a BUM.

:thanks:

Lee2000
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree with players Sidbury,Mourphy and a number of other players available we get mediocre receivers to add to the mediocre receivers we already have

You basing your judgements based on the "experts", and I have done that for years. But the team scouting, which can be good or bad, is where the real decision making occurs. How do you know the Dolphins thought highly of Sidbury, Murphy or anyone else that kiper or mcshay liked?

PALMA
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
We got dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball against the Ravens. I was hoping for another "large-person" draft.

On a macro-scale view, we completely revamped our secondary, and added depth throughout the team while creating some serious competition on special teams. A lot of guys are only going to make the team if they are willing to go all ou ton ST.

Is this a Parcells draft? I'm not sure how they felt about this years draft class. They sure weren't going to take any chances on reaching for core guys to the lines.Those guys probably rated out poorly on our draft board, for reasons only Ireland can defend.

If Davis and Smith pan out, we won't care what else happened happened in the draft.

jim1
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
We got dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball against the Ravens. I was hoping for another "large-person" draft.

On a macro-scale view, we completely revamped our secondary, and added depth throughout the team while creating some serious competition on special teams. A lot of guys are only going to make the team if they are willing to go all ou ton ST.

Is this a Parcells draft? I'm not sure how they felt about this years draft class. They sure weren't going to take any chances on reaching for core guys to the lines.Those guys probably rated out poorly on our draft board, for reasons only Ireland can defend.

If Davis and Smith pan out, we won't care what else happened happened in the draft.

Agreed, except for the last sentence. I choose to remain optimistic.

FINMAN13
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Too bad Nicks fell into that same talent pool. Otherwise he would have been the pick.