PDA

View Full Version : Who the Hell is John Nalbone

DKphin
04-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I am speechless. This draft is turning as bad as Wannstadt's.

Roman529
04-26-2009, 03:20 PM
That has to be a typo.....I thought Mothman was a movie???

TonySporanoTuna
04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.app.com/article/20090324/SPORTS/903240327/1002

From New Jersey where Parcells is from. 6'5 260 4.57/4.71 40. Extremely productive. Miles Austin came in from his school.

ukPHINSfan
04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Let's hope he's from the Donald Thomas school of draft picks.

DKphin
04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
#74 TE. 6'4" 258lbs. I can find nothing else.

ZachThomas76
04-26-2009, 03:24 PM

There were people on here who hadnt heard of Patrick Turner, so..... its the 5th round btw.

ukPHINSfan
04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
"He's been compared to an Anthony Fasano-type player. I hear the Dolphins have some interest in him. Bill Parcells loves those Jersey guys, and John is a true Jersey guy. He's got that personality and swagger. He's a very confident kid who believes in his ability."

Sounds like our FO was big on this guy...

DKphin
I hope is a great blocker. And to add insult to injury, Jamon Meredith goes right after him.

Dolphins101
Trust is Bill and co. How easy we foget we were 1-15 and they changed our team around with thier type of players and we saw are 11-5 turn around happen. Have some faith people.

SammySmif
04-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I lol at people who are mad about this pick. I knew it was coming for months (getting a TE). Parcells likes complete Tight Ends and now we have 2. I can not wait to see Fasano and Nalobne on the field together killing people. Have some faith..we have 2 more picks coming right up!!

TonySporanoTuna
04-26-2009, 03:28 PM
I like Nalbone, but I think he would have been there at our second fifth. The only one's I dislike are the WRs.

FinSolari
04-26-2009, 03:29 PM
OMG, Duke Robinson goes right after, I am really questioning ireland's thinking at this point..

SnakeoilSeller
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope the FO knows what the hell they are doing. :confused:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/04/monmouth_te_john_nalbone_hopin.html

Brad528
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
according to the article he ran a sub 4.6 forty and is 255. It also mentioned how Parcells was interested in him. And this was an old article so Bill must have been planning this for a while

fishypete
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Coming out of Lawrence High School, John Nalbone had hopes of playing for a major college football program, particularly nearby Rutgers, but never received a scholarship offer. Instead, he landed at Monmouth. During his second year on campus, though, he realized the Football Championship Subdivision isn't so far from the NFL, thanks to teammate Miles Austin, now a receiver with the Dallas Cowboys. "Here I am, I became friends with this kid, and he had scouts coming for him," Nalbone recalled this week after a workout at the TEST Sports Club in Martinsville, where he has trained for the past four months. "I saw it and said, 'Hey, if you're good enough, you work hard enough, they're going to come find you." Sure enough, three years later NFL scouts also uncovered Nalbone, a well-built 6-4, 255-pound All-American who holds all of Monmouth's tight end records after starting for four seasons. He impressed in his Pro Day workouts, with a 40 time in the 4.6 range, and has the talent to be the second diamond in West Long Branch. Over the past few weeks, he's taken visits to the Jets and Jaguars and has also worked out for the Eagles, Patriots and Dolphins. He is a potential late-round pick during this weekend's NFL Draft but is also prepared to sign as an undrafted free agent, as Austin did. - Jenny Vrentas, The Star-Ledger

General Tso
04-26-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm not a big fan of our 2nd day either, but hard to hate a pick when you've never seen someone play. There are numerous examples of small school guys that no one had heard of that turned into late round steals. This may or may not be one of them... but hard to critique w/o knowing anything about the guy.

SammySmif
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Since we have 3 picks this round, I think we have to assume that Tuna and Co heard Nalbone was going sooner then they thought, and he was a guy they had to have.

PALMA
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I think we're going to make our money with undrafted free agents. That's when we let the draft come to us...unfortunately some 300 players later.

fishypete
04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Raise your hands if you knew how a kid named Fasano would play! I'll bet most here including myself said Fasano who...enough said.

SammySmif
04-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I agree. Well Fasano was more high profile, but I personally get excited about the guys who played for small schools and get discovered because they are so incredible.

General Tso
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Raise your hands if you knew how a kid named Fasano would play! I'll bet most here including myself said Fasano who...enough said.

Lost me on this one. Fasano was a highly rated TE prospect from Notre Dame that got drafted in the 2nd round.

If you want a comparison, how about Nalbone's ex-teammate... Miles Austin. A guy Cowboys fans surely didn't care about when they signed him as a UDFA, but is now a big part of their WR corp.

Finnie85
04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
we drafted a te cuz fasano is gonna be a FA soon... and we also have haynos don't forget... i think another reason for this pick is cuz of his size. if u've guys noticed like i have, everyone drafted have been monsters as far as physical size...

SammySmif
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
We drafted a TE also because we can now run a 2 TE balanced offense that will block like crazy and both guys can run and catch. If Fasano delivers again this year, I am sure we will resign him. If you have those 2 out there together along with Ginn, no one can cover that.

Danny
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM

he's a TE that now plays for our Dolphins so start rooting for him as a true Dolphins fan is supposed to do.

Ozzy rules!!

finfan54
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Lost me on this one. Fasano was a highly rated TE prospect from Notre Dame that got drafted in the 2nd round.

If you want a comparison, how about Nalbone's ex-teammate... Miles Austin. A guy Cowboys fans surely didn't care about when they signed him as a UDFA, but is now a big part of their WR corp.

My buddy said something today that stuck with me on this draft and it was about how Parcells is thinking alot about 2010 with this team. In other words, these guys will look like busts to you...until 2010 comes. These small school people are specifically picked for intangibles at certain positions/roles.

Others are for starting in 2010 like Davis, Turner, Smith, and Clemons. I like our picks. Not sexy at all. Which is what most on this board love.

Clipse
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I lol at people who are mad about this pick. I knew it was coming for months (getting a TE). Parcells likes complete Tight Ends and now we have 2. I can not wait to see Fasano and Nalobne on the field together killing people. Have some faith..we have 2 more picks coming right up!!
Exactly. Fasano and Martin are both Free Agents next year, and I think Martin is gone. Nalbone is a great all around TE. He can catch, he can block. We run alot of two TE sets, and I cannot wait to see Nalbone get his chance when Martin leaves.

Clipse
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
OMG, Duke Robinson goes right after, I am really questioning ireland's thinking at this point..
Duke Robinson = overrated. You go ahead and question Ireland while I question why all other 31 teams let a 1st day talent fall to the 5th round. Obviously Ireland isn't the only one who sees something wrong.

DKphin
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of our 2nd day either, but hard to hate a pick when you've never seen someone play. There are numerous examples of small school guys that no one had heard of that turned into late round steals. This may or may not be one of them... but hard to critique w/o knowing anything about the guy.
I am not saying that I hate the guy, only that I had never heard of him and know nothing about him. The draft is the only thing that consumes my thoughts from the end January till the end of April. I'm pretty well read on the subject and had never heard of him.

GoonBoss
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM
He's great. Stop questioning common wisdom.

General Tso
04-27-2009, 12:53 AM
I am not saying that I hate the guy, only that I had never heard of him and know nothing about him. The draft is the only thing that consumes my thoughts from the end January till the end of April. I'm pretty well read on the subject and had never heard of him.

Boomer's been talking about him in his Sun-Sentinel Articles for the last month. For example:

"Sticking with that position, I mentioned in Draft Winds 5 that Monmouth tight end John Nalbone was getting a lot of interest from the Dolphins. Much like Brock Bolen, that interest has continued. Nalbone is working out with former Parcells WR Odessa Turner and the man who controversially replaced Phil Simms, Scott Brunner when Parcells became Giants head coach in 1983. At 64, 256 Nalbone offers decent late round value and is a committed special teamer as well as being a solid in line blocker. A consistent sub-4.6 runner, I could easily see him as an upgrade on 3rd stringer Joey Haynos, especially given that excellent straight line speed. Interestingly, former Giants OG Billy Ard, who also played under Parcells in the 1980s has been working on his blocking."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/03/london_calling_draft_winds_11.html

Perhaps you also missed these nuggets on PFT last month:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/28/sleeper-tight-end-nalbone-gaining-nfl-interest/

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/30/small-school-prospects-audition-at-hofstra-pro-day/

ckparrothead
04-27-2009, 01:13 AM
The Dolphins' interest in him was easy to spot. What isn't so easy to spot is him, because he plays for Monmouth and nobody ever gets to see a Monmouth game. :)

SammySmif
04-27-2009, 01:20 AM
The Dolphins' interest in him was easy to spot. What isn't so easy to spot is him, because he plays for Monmouth and nobody ever gets to see a Monmouth game. :)

Yep. Well regardless I am glad we got a TE. A lot of people did not think it wold happen. Anyone who did, should pipe in and pat themselves on the back for knowing Parcells is an awesome judge of talent at this position. The link posted was great.

I can't wait for the season to start.

ckparrothead
04-27-2009, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9RWrATQ6nM

Best I can do. It's a small highlight of some of Monmouth's plays this year. Pretty much every catch on the highlight is a John Nalbone catch though.

RichmondWeb
04-27-2009, 02:07 AM
I guarantee Monmouth is a bigger program than Western Oregon (La Grand) which produced a TE named Kevin Boss, WOU's first NFL product. He seems to be doing OK in NY, after all the Giants let Shockey go and "The Boss" took over.

ckparrothead
04-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Biggest difference being though that Boss was invited to All Star stuff during the draft and I think the Combine. Nalbone was not. He's a very unknown commodity.

dlockz
04-27-2009, 03:32 AM
NAlbone is a future hall of famer. PArcells is so far above the rest of the league its silly. I think I will make a PArcells T shirt much like the Chuck Norris ones.

gfran
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, maybe not a HoF'er but if he wears #15, you can see why he was selected.
suddenly I'm feeling better about the Draft day 2 ... ;-)

BARF
04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
he is that small school player that parcells always get in the draft