PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Half of U.S. adults have switched religions

BAMAPHIN 22
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
More than half of all Americans have switched religions at least once, according to an in-depth survey released today.

And that may still be "a conservative estimate," says Luis Lugo, director of the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-04-27-pew-religion-switch_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-04-27-pew-religion-switch_N.htm)

emeraldfin
04-29-2009, 07:38 PM
The reasons people give for changing their religion — or leaving religion altogether — differ widely: 71% of Catholics and nearly 60% of Protestants who switched didn't think their spiritual needs were being met, liked another faith more or changed their religious or moral beliefs.

Thats pretty big considering that most people who change religion for those reasons are pretty educated in their faith. and reasons for leaving it.

Dolphan7
04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I changed my religion....once. I used to believe in evolution. Now I believe in God. :wink:

Tetragrammaton
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I find their wording a little misleading. They cite switches like "Baptist to Methodist". Not really a significant change at all. You would think by the title that there are these large amounts of Christians converting to Islam and Hindus becoming atheists.

Dolphan7
04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Many studies have confirmed that church growth is being driven not by now converts, but church switching, so there is a lot of merit to what you say Wayward.

dolfan94
08-13-2009, 05:15 PM
That number seems to be REALLY high.

Tetragrammaton
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM
That number seems to be REALLY high.

It is the way they interpret switching religions. If you married a girl and started attending her church across town, all the sudden you are in such a list.

Over eighty percent of Americans are Christians, and that number hasn't radically switched from some other religion in the last few decades, so it isn't as significant as the headline implies.

steeda
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I have changed my religion also. I used to be a Christian. I went through the whole baptismal thing as well. Soon after I got older I realized that there is no such thing as God and I converted to Atheism. There is no definitive proof that God exists, so that's what I tend to believe. Everything about God, Satan, hell and heaven are a farce. There's no scientific explanation for any of it to exist.

aesop
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Seems more like you'd fall under the beliefs of Agnosticism.

X-Pacolypse
08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I've gone from Christianity to Agnosticism. Of course, I had to swallow my newfound beliefs for my father's funeral a couple of weeks ago. He was a devout Catholic, so it was only fitting that he would have a Catholic funeral.

Dolphan7
08-26-2009, 01:35 AM
I have changed my religion also. I used to be a Christian. I went through the whole baptismal thing as well. Soon after I got older I realized that there is no such thing as God and I converted to Atheism. There is no definitive proof that God exists, so that's what I tend to believe. Everything about God, Satan, hell and heaven are a farce. There's no scientific explanation for any of it to exist.So since science can't put its hands on an all powerful God, who is outside the limitations of said science,....God must not exist?

God bless you. I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist.

aesop
08-26-2009, 11:33 AM
So since science can't put its hands on an all powerful God, who is outside the limitations of said science,....God must not exist?Pretty much. Science relies on verifiable facts. Everything we know works within the laws of the universe. Something with no evidence (I know, I know.. don't get started on the bible being concrete fact) of existing or no evidence of affecting anything in our universe will not be recognized as more than a theory. That's what god is.. a theory.

Dolphan7
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Pretty much. Science relies on verifiable facts. Everything we know works within the laws of the universe. Something with no evidence (I know, I know.. don't get started on the bible being concrete fact) of existing or no evidence of affecting anything in our universe will not be recognized as more than a theory. That's what god is.. a theory.And all these "laws of the universe".......wonder where they came from? Hmmmm........

aesop
08-29-2009, 11:20 AM
And all these "laws of the universe".......wonder where they came from? Hmmmm........If you want to hear my thoughts on this do everyone a favor and please go back and read other threads. Nah, I won't do that to you.

Let me ask you where they talk about the laws of the universe in the bible and when did god determine them? And I mean literally. Not some metaphor that can be stretched any number of ways. I find it hard to believe that the word of god would say that the universe revolves around Earth yet he created the laws of physics.

Dolphan7
08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
If you want to hear my thoughts on this do everyone a favor and please go back and read other threads. Nah, I won't do that to you.

Let me ask you where they talk about the laws of the universe in the bible and when did god determine them? And I mean literally. Not some metaphor that can be stretched any number of ways. I find it hard to believe that the word of god would say that the universe revolves around Earth yet he created the laws of physics.
Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." Read on and you will see just how he does it and in what order. Does it state specifically that he created all the natural laws? No. The reader understands that when God creates the known universe, he creates everything in it, including all of its laws and physics truths, mathematics, elements etc.......

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

And why do you think the bible says that the universe revolves around the earth?

Now how you answer and respond will determine if there will be any further dialogue on this subject.

aesop
08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." Read on and you will see just how he does it and in what order. Does it state specifically that he created all the natural laws? No. The reader understands that when God creates the known universe, he creates everything in it, including all of its laws and physics truths, mathematics, elements etc.......

It doesn't get any clearer than that.It sure would be clearer if it actually said it, don't you think? Why did god give us the sparknotes to his amazing creation? Don't you think he should have explained it in terms humans could understand in a literal sense instead of having to infer everything based on loose dialogue? There are a lot of pages in the bible, yet rarely does it literally say anything of substance.

GoonBoss
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I have changed my religion also. I used to be a Christian. I went through the whole baptismal thing as well. Soon after I got older I realized that there is no such thing as God and I converted to Atheism. There is no definitive proof that God exists, so that's what I tend to believe. Everything about God, Satan, hell and heaven are a farce. There's no scientific explanation for any of it to exist.

Well, there has to be SOMETHING out there. Unless you believe that a vaccum can produce matter. The very fact that the universe exists is proof of a higher power. It's the interpretation of this power where things get a little shakey.

HansMojo
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
It sure would be clearer if it actually said it, don't you think? Why did god give us the sparknotes to his amazing creation? Don't you think he should have explained it in terms humans could understand in a literal sense instead of having to infer everything based on loose dialogue? There are a lot of pages in the bible, yet rarely does it literally say anything of substance.

All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. (John 1:3 - NASB)

To me, that text is pretty clear.

IMHO, the Creation accounts in the Bible basically exist to let us know that God made us. It tells us that we are His children, and thus He has authority over us. I think that the Bible lacks a lot of details on the Creation event simply because the point wasn't to provide a detailed account, but simply to say, God made us, so the rest of the information you are about to read (about God and His plan for humanity) is relevant to us.

To me, the Bible primarily addresses how God is dealing with fallen humanity and how we have responded to Him. It gives me hope for the future, and an explanation as to why things are the way they are. It assures me of His love. IMHO, the Redeemed will spend the rest of eternity studying God's Creation. :)

aesop
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. (John 1:3 - NASB)

To me, that text is pretty clear.So that is the law of the universe? Still not clear at all. Nothing has come into existence since he stopped intervening? How about grapples? :d-day:

HansMojo
09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
So that is the law of the universe? Still not clear at all. Nothing has come into existence since he stopped intervening? How about grapples? :d-day:
:lol: Bonus points for being funny while making a great point. :)

So OK, yes, Christians do believe that God created man with the ability to mix together and modify the ingredients that God made to make "new" things. Heck, Christians even believe that the natural processes that God put into place can do that. IMHO, even evolution is a process that God created (micro, not macro of course).

But I believe these are still just a result of what God put into place and so the Biblical statement holds true that "apart from Him, nothing came into being that has come into being". It's all still a result of His Creative act. Until we figure out how to form new matter from absolutely nothing it's all still a God thing...IMHO.

And for the record, grapples are a bit of a disappointment if you ask me. Now, pluots on the other hand...yummy!

emeraldfin
09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
:lol: Bonus points for being funny while making a great point. :)

So OK, yes, Christians do believe that God created man with the ability to mix together and modify the ingredients that God made to make "new" things. Heck, Christians even believe that the natural processes that God put into place can do that. IMHO, even evolution is a process that God created (micro, not macro of course).

But I believe these are still just a result of what God put into place and so the Biblical statement holds true that "apart from Him, nothing came into being that has come into being". It's all still a result of His Creative act. Until we figure out how to form new matter from absolutely nothing it's all still a God thing...IMHO.

And for the record, grapples are a bit of a disappointment if you ask me. Now, pluots on the other hand...yummy!

This is completley off topic, but just want to ask you a question about the Seventh Day Adventists Mojo.

Does the fact that there have been many wrong end of days prophecies by prominent figures in the Seventh Day Adventists ever made you question your faith?

HansMojo
09-04-2009, 12:32 AM
This is completley off topic, but just want to ask you a question about the Seventh Day Adventists Mojo.

Does the fact that there have been many wrong end of days prophecies by prominent figures in the Seventh Day Adventists ever made you question your faith?
Not at all, for a few reasons. First, I assume you are talking about predictions about when the Lord will return, and officially, the Church rejects date setting in regards to this most blessed day we patiently await. I can assure that it is absolutely taboo to date set within the Seventh-day Adventist church. There are people in every church, including mine, who continue to ignore or somehow try to get around the clear testimony of Jesus Christ Himself who told us that no man knows the day or the hour of His return. People who do this are IMHO, misled and do this at their own peril. The Church officially and completely rejects date setting and so do I. So while I have a problem with people who do this, it does not create a problem for me regarding the church.

There is a misconception that the SDA church was founded on date setting and this is simply not true. People who think this are usually referring to Millerism and the Great Disappointment where William Miller preached that Christ would return in the Spring of 1844. Others set the date at October 22, 1844 which is now known as "The Great Disappointment". Christ's return is still known as the "Advent" and people who followed the teachings of Miller where called "Millerites" or "Adventists". However, this was a national movement and involved people of all faiths. Miller himself was a Baptist. The Seventh-day Adventist church did not even exist at this time. In fact, it was not formed until about 20 years later. Anyway, when the Lord did not return in October of 1844, many people left Christianity, while many others returned to their previous denominations. A group of people who had followed Miller did help to form the Seventh-day Adventist church (much later), but they had learned their lesson about date setting and this is probably part of the reason Seventh-day Adventists have always been so against the practice. Well, that and the fact that it is an unbiblical practice...

I hope that answers your question. But if not, let me know. Feel free to PM me as well.
Peace.