PDA

View Full Version : Legalizing Marijuana an innovative way to boost economy?

rob19
04-28-2009, 12:08 AM
On a secondary level, marijuana legalization would probably result in a significant spike in agricultural, manufacturing, and white-collar jobs, as farming, processing, and marketing the drug would require new hirings in all three areas. Moreover, regulation of the marijuana industry would seem likely to at least partially offset the employment drop-off caused by the cut in marijuana-related crimes. If farms could be shifted from tobacco production to cannabis production, it could even take a bite out of the significant federal agricultural subsidies that currently drain the federal treasury.

It is also worth noting that marijuana legalization could, conceivably, result in a significant drop in prescription drug expenditures. One drug, Marinol (http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html), is directly distilled from the plant, and scientists have found that marijuana is helpful in treating an almost endless list of illnesses, including epilepsy, migraine, and numerous mood disorders. If it were offered as a low-cost alternative to prescription drugs, it might assist in the development of a workable universal health care plan.

Perhaps the strongest traditional critique of marijuana lies in the commonly-held belief that it transforms hard-working, ambitious young people into lazy slackers. However, it is worth noting that America's past three presidents all admitted (with varying degrees of openness (http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1307155.htm)) to recreational marijuana usage.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/04/04/innovative-ways-to-stimulate-the-economy-legalize-marijuana-for/

In the same article - 12 other creative economy boosting ideas.

http://money.aol.com/investing/innovative-ways-to-stimulate-economy

Including

Make Public Transportation Free. - Eliminate the Sales Tax. - Encourage Businesses to Go to a Four-Day Work Week. - The Government Should Hold a Nightly Lottery and Give Away $1M Each to 10 Americans. - & others. I smoke chronic.. not habitually but quite often.. and I honestly can't comprehend how it got so demonized to begin with.. and alcohol has become so glorified..

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

I see a lot of people who make uninformed opinions on why the drug is a horrible, horrible thing.. people who have never tried it.. and are even unaware of the actual effects or risks of the drug that is less addictive then caffeine...

I've had friends, who swore they would never touch the stuff because "it's stupid" or "bad for you..".. and they tried it.. and had a great time.. and apologized for being so ignorant..

But it's not their fault.. they are just the product of habitual McGruff the Crime Dog visits every year at elementary, and middle school.. and a society that has given it a bad stigma..

For those of you that don't do it.. more power to you.. just be informed.. and judge accordingly..

As for the other side of the arguement.. The one thing I will give you "above the influence" people.. is that marijuana can be a gate-way drug sometimes, as I've messed with drugs like percocet, codeine, extacy, shrooms, xanex, a few times, and coke once.. but I honestly believe that depends on the person.. as I'm sure some of you can attest.. I'm just an experimental type of person :D

For those of you that remember me... missed yall... :hump:

Hope all of you had a good 4/20

yungcane
04-28-2009, 03:53 AM
good read. ive long since been for a legalizing marijuana proposal in the state

SpurzN703
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I doubt legalizing pot will ever happen. People smoke it up these days anyway, what's the big deal in it being legalized? You want to be able to smoke pot on the street?

rob19
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
It really doesn't change anything for me really in terms of aquiring the bud.. but not having to worry about the whole... getting caught, getting arested, screwing up my life thing would be peachy..

Clipse
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I doubt legalizing pot will ever happen. People smoke it up these days anyway, what's the big deal in it being legalized? You want to be able to smoke pot on the street?
The point is the decriminilzation of marijuana will help the economy. Having the government tax it, much like alcohol will go a long ways into helping the economy.

SpaceMountain16
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
The point is the decriminilzation of marijuana will help the economy. Having the government tax it, much like alcohol will go a long ways into helping the economy.

Completely agree,

I don't smoke it. But the fact that it's illegal is ridiculous, especially with the money we could be making off of it.

garcia420
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
100 % for legalization! Alcohol is much worse for you. Im a recovering alcoholic who has not had a drink in a long time but i will still smoke. Alcohol, for those who dont know this is 1 of 2 drugs, yes it is a drug, that can kill you in detox. the other being benzoes (xanex). If any of you have ever tried detoxing yourself from drinking, it is not fun! Their is no way to die from grass (lung cancer, throat cancer from smoking is an after effect). The best way to avaoid this is to make butter and use it on anything or in any recipe and you would not have to worry as much as lung and throat cancer.

It helps with so many documented illness. I can tell you this for fact. My wife, who has ovary issues, smokes when its her time of the month because its the only thing, i stress only thing that will help. she has tried everything. her OBGYN even said, if that works then please do it!

Not to mention, the amount of job=money it would create.
The other plus would be their would be no more dirt weed. ( i still dont understand how grass has seeds in it, thankfully i never get that crap!)

Lastly, this would free up so much BS in the court system and even jails! Which in turn, wouldnt waste tax payers money!

420 all the way!

SpurzN703
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM

I understand this. But I still don't think the government will do it is all.

1 dol fan
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I like the idea from a political and recreational standpoint. We would also save money trying to keep other countries from growing pot. We won't have to douse their fields in poisons.

It may even help us as far as popularity in the world. Countriess that grow pot get pissed off when we spray their fields... they think of it as a personal attack on their citizens and their work.

Think of it, if some dude saw that you were growing some really nice tomatoes, ones that cost you about $50 for the seeds alone, and was angry that you were growing them and just destroyed them... wouldn't you be pissed? especially if you were going to sell these special tomatoes for money to buy your family food and shelter and clothes.

I digress, you guys should all make a quick phone call to 1-973-409-3274 and then press the pound button on your phone. It will count your call as a vote for legalizing bud. I guess, if this line gets a million votes, a bill will begin its way through congress.

Clipse
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I understand this. But I still don't think the government will do it is all.
I agree. Legalizing would actually help the economy. What good would that do when these politicians can keep it illegal, and make themselves richer with fines and locking people up :crazy:

Clipse
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I like the idea from a political and recreational standpoint. We would also save money trying to keep other countries from growing pot. We won't have to douse their fields in poisons.

It may even help us as far as popularity in the world. Countriess that grow pot get pissed off when we spray their fields... they think of it as a personal attack on their citizens and their work.

Think of it, if some dude saw that you were growing some really nice tomatoes, ones that cost you about $50 for the seeds alone, and was angry that you were growing them and just destroyed them... wouldn't you be pissed? especially if you were going to sell these special tomatoes for money to buy your family food and shelter and clothes.

I digress, you guys should all make a quick phone call to 1-973-409-3274 and then press the pound button on your phone. It will count your call as a vote for legalizing bud. I guess, if this line gets a million votes, a bill will begin its way through congress.
Had Ron Paul been our next President, that bill would probably already be in the works. He seems to be the only non idiot politician available. Someone who actually understands the many, many positves in decriminalizing Marijuana. He was already working on a bill in congress to try to legalize pot for responsible adults. Too bad the congressional majority are idiots :crazy:

X-Pacolypse
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Legalizing Marijuana would take this economy out of it's slump so freakin fast it would blow people's minds.

rob19
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
100 % for legalization! Alcohol is much worse for you. Im a recovering alcoholic who has not had a drink in a long time but i will still smoke. Alcohol, for those who dont know this is 1 of 2 drugs, yes it is a drug, that can kill you in detox. the other being benzoes (xanex). If any of you have ever tried detoxing yourself from drinking, it is not fun! Their is no way to die from grass (lung cancer, throat cancer from smoking is an after effect). The best way to avaoid this is to make butter and use it on anything or in any recipe and you would not have to worry as much as lung and throat cancer.

It helps with so many documented illness. I can tell you this for fact. My wife, who has ovary issues, smokes when its her time of the month because its the only thing, i stress only thing that will help. she has tried everything. her OBGYN even said, if that works then please do it!

Not to mention, the amount of job=money it would create.
The other plus would be their would be no more dirt weed. ( i still dont understand how grass has seeds in it, thankfully i never get that crap!)

Lastly, this would free up so much BS in the court system and even jails! Which in turn, wouldnt waste tax payers money!

420 all the way!

great story.. I always find it interesting how many different things it helps people with

garcia420
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
i have thought about this for some time now. What if, ricky played for OAK/SF/ SD
insted of MIA, and had a legal prescription due to his social disorder, which they do grant,
What could the NFL do?

Thoughts...

rob19
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
i have thought about this for some time now. What if, ricky played for OAK/SF/ SD
insted of MIA, and had a legal prescription due to his social disorder, which they do grant,
What could the NFL do?

Thoughts...

that's a good question... but I don't think they allow it.. as it stands marijuana is still a banned substance in football.. and their stance is probably along the lines of.. "if you need it, we don't care.. its a banned substance.. period."

Although I believe it's only a banned substance because it is illegal.. because it isn't a performance enhancing drug by any means.. which is why I think if marijuana were to be legalized.. it would drop off as a banned substance in the NFL.. and Ricky Williams career might have turned out a lot different..

CedarPhin
04-29-2009, 01:08 AM
If legalized, it'd be the biggest cash crop in Northern California.

PassRush
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I am in favor of leagalizing pot, as soon as they think of a plan that does not involve my tax dollars paying the welfare checks and rehab of the abusers.

rob19
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
That's completely unsubstantiated.. there's nothing to indicate that there would be any significant rise in people on welfare.. and, even if there was.. the amount of money legalization would make for the government would most likely cause a decrease in your taxes..

PassRush
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
That's completely unsubstantiated.. there's nothing to indicate that there would be any significant rise in people on welfare.. and, even if there was.. the amount of money legalization would make for the government would most likely cause a decrease in your taxes..
I could argue the point all night long, but that would be more of a POFO topic.

SpaceMountain16
04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Well i just never understood how alcohol and tobacco could be legal, when they are vastly more harmful than Marijuana. This country is ridiculous with some laws, the fact that you have to be 21 to purchase alcohol is a complete joke, especially since you're free to die for your country in war at 18. Why gambling isn't legal i'll never understand either, and how about prostitution? None of these things harm anybody.

PassRush
04-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Well i just never understood how alcohol and tobacco could be legal, when they are vastly more harmful than Marijuana. This country is ridiculous with some laws, the fact that you have to be 21 to purchase alcohol is a complete joke, especially since you're free to die for your country in war at 18. Why gambling isn't legal i'll never understand either, and how about prostitution? None of these things harm anybody.

Alright, i'll bite. No argument, alcohol is far more addictive and far more destructive than pot; but is that really a good reason to leagalize another destructive substance? Prohibition proved that once you let the proverbial jeanie out of the bottle, its just about impossible to put it back. That argument is full of holes in my opinion, and if we are going to throw out our weakest arguments, I might as well start talking about all the corrections officers who will lose their jobs with the jails not stocked with pot heads.

SpaceMountain16
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Alright, i'll bite. No argument, alcohol is far more addictive and far more destructive than pot; but is that really a good reason to leagalize another destructive substance? Prohibition proved that once you let the proverbial jeanie out of the bottle, its just about impossible to put it back. That argument is full of holes in my opinion, and if we are going to throw out our weakest arguments, I might as well start talking about all the corrections officers who will lose their jobs with the jails not stocked with pot heads.

But alcohol and tobacco are much more destructive than Marijuana, for that matter so are trans fats, if anything should be illegal in this country is should be burgers. Obesity is what's killing people, not recreational drugs/items of leisure. I don't drink, i don't smoke, but i fail to see why we can't just legalize Marijuana getting it on par with alcohol and cigarettes and make serious cash off of it.

PassRush
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
But alcohol and tobacco are much more destructive than Marijuana, for that matter so are trans fats, if anything should be illegal in this country is should be burgers. Obesity is what's killing people, not recreational drugs/items of leisure. I don't drink, i don't smoke, but i fail to see why we can't just legalize Marijuana getting it on par with alcohol and cigarettes and make serious cash off of it.

This is true. I drink and I chew, but in the interest of objectivity, all should be illegal on a level playing field(Except transfat and tobbaco, since they dont significantly alter state of mind). That brings us back around to putting the jeanie back in the bottle. What I am trying to get across is if pot is leagalized, there would be alot more fatal accidents on the highway.

As far as taxing the hell out of it and fixing the economy, that would work great for a while, until legal smokers realize that they could grow it in their back yard for free, and most likely never be caught(assuming growing it at home would be illegal). That snowball would roll right down hill with everybody trying to turn a profit selling their own, home grown, more potent stash for much cheaper than over the counter.

Really, I believe that what a man does in his own home is his own business, but leagalizing would do more harm than good (EDIT) in my opinion.

eger
05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
This is true. I drink and I chew, but in the interest of objectivity, all should be illegal on a level playing field(Except transfat and tobbaco, since they dont significantly alter state of mind). That brings us back around to putting the jeanie back in the bottle. What I am trying to get across is if pot is leagalized, there would be alot more fatal accidents on the highway.

As far as taxing the hell out of it and fixing the economy, that would work great for a while, until legal smokers realize that they could grow it in their back yard for free, and most likely never be caught(assuming growing it at home would be illegal). That snowball would roll right down hill with everybody trying to turn a profit selling their own, home grown, more potent stash for much cheaper than over the counter.

Really, I believe that what a man does in his own home is his own business, but leagalizing would do more harm than good (EDIT) in my opinion.

Agreed

ih8brady
05-04-2009, 05:22 PM

HINT: Pfizer, Big Tobacco and alcohol corporations have lobbying and propaganda power and they do not want competition. The drug prohibitionists are nearly all vested in these corporations, puritans or swayed by the campaigns of said industry.

rob19
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM

I actually don't think you have to heavily tax it at all... it would make enough money on it's own.. and I think it would be really really easy for the government, if mass production of marijuana was to be done, would allow them to sell it at, or even below street prices.. weed dealers would die off almost entirely... they wouldn't be able to turn enough profit.. trust me, I know alot of dealers... they're one of keeping marijuana illegal's biggest advocates..

As far as your 'jeanie back in the bottle' argument.. I think we should take a look at somewhere that weed already is legal.. Amsterdam

In Amsterdam marijuana was made legal and the result was that
Crime rates dropped by 60% and the amount of drug users did not
Increase. Increased high way deaths ?

Do you want to know how many people a year are killed by marijuana and marijuana related deaths?
ZERO. There have been no credible reports of death from cannabis. I've driven stoned enough times to know that it's alot different than alcohol.. it doesn't really impair you from driving.. now.. could they're be a few cases where marijuana was involved in a crash ? yes, definitely.. but I doubt that number would be significant.. and doubt even further that that alone is just cause for keeping it illegal..

However, 430,000 deaths a year are caused by Tobacco making it
The nations leading cause of death. 116,113 total alcohol related
Deaths. And 200,000 deaths from prescription drugs. Now with all
The illegal drugs combined there (excluding cannabis) there have been
14,218 deaths. And remember there have been zero deaths even
remotely related to marijuana. Some area's of the United states are already legalized to some degree..

I recommend decriminalization of private possession of an ounce or so with a maximum fine of $100. This has worked well in New York since the late 70s and the only thing that goes on a kid's record is a public health violation... like spitting on the sidewalk. Like I said before.. I think people have a skewed view on cannabis.. and I've yet to meet a person who has smoked it.. that is really against it.. and to my original point.. I think it would really take us out of this recession.. and do wonders for the economy for a long time.. here's an article from Time Magazine about its legalization.. and why it makes sense..

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1889021,00.html

(and my other two sources)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_marijuana_in_the_United_States

http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/20806/view

I'm really glad this got so much attention though.. it is my belief that it will be legal within the next twenty years.. and this type of debate is bound to happen..

1 dol fan
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM

The only problem with that line of thinking is that generally, medical marijuana is much more potent than the average grade bud. It's almost like they used well regulated science to grow it instead of a forum on the internet or that one guy who told you about it that one time a long time go.

Also, I think people would much rather do it the legal way. There is a lot less trouble then, If they did want to grow their own and sell it, they could now get a license or something and open up a store.

Clipse
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I actually don't think you have to heavily tax it at all... it would make enough money on it's own.. and I think it would be really really easy for the government, if mass production of marijuana was to be done, would allow them to sell it at, or even below street prices.. weed dealers would die off almost entirely... they wouldn't be able to turn enough profit.. trust me, I know alot of dealers... they're one of keeping marijuana illegal's biggest advocates..

As far as your 'jeanie back in the bottle' argument.. I think we should take a look at somewhere that weed already is legal.. Amsterdam

Increased high way deaths ?

I've driven stoned enough times to know that it's alot different than alcohol.. it doesn't really impair you from driving.. now.. could they're be a few cases where marijuana was involved in a crash ? yes, definitely.. but I doubt that number would be significant.. and doubt even further that that alone is just cause for keeping it illegal..

Some area's of the United states are already legalized to some degree..

Like I said before.. I think people have a skewed view on cannabis.. and I've yet to meet a person who has smoked it.. that is really against it.. and to my original point.. I think it would really take us out of this recession.. and do wonders for the economy for a long time.. here's an article from Time Magazine about its legalization.. and why it makes sense..

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1889021,00.html

(and my other two sources)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_marijuana_in_the_United_States

http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/20806/view

I'm really glad this got so much attention though.. it is my belief that it will be legal within the next twenty years.. and this type of debate is bound to happen..
Great post.

1 dol fan
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
If it is legalized, I want the guy that proposed it in Congress to have April 20th named after him.

TheJetsBlow
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Great thread guys, I've been in favor of legalization for a long time!! I just smoked about 10 minutes ago while watching a replay of the Dolphins game I had tivo'd!! :D

dolfan94
08-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Had Ron Paul been our next President, that bill would probably already be in the works. He seems to be the only non idiot politician available. Someone who actually understands the many, many positves in decriminalizing Marijuana. He was already working on a bill in congress to try to legalize pot for responsible adults. Too bad the congressional majority are idiots :crazy:
So your vote for the president of the United States is going to come off of the decision of whether that guy wants to legalize marijuana or not?

BobDole
08-29-2009, 01:58 AM
i'm all for it. florida needs to get with the program.

canesandbhoys
08-29-2009, 02:42 AM
So your vote for the president of the United States is going to come off of the decision of whether that guy wants to legalize marijuana or not?

No, anybody who supports Ron Paul recognizes that this is only ONE of the MANY areas in which our constitutional rights are being infringed as well as being ONE of the MANY laws that make zero sense. His post was just pointing out that this is one of the things RP would have tried to fix by now.

WeVie
08-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't smoke it and would not smoke it if it was legal.

With that being said, I still think it should be legal. If booze is legal, then weed should be also. It's more safe than alcohol right??

Just imagine the taxes they could make from it.

rob19
08-29-2009, 01:43 PM
:woot:

thread revival.

I haven't smoked in a couple weeks. I'm taking a tolerance break... I got drunk as **** last night though.. almost lost my phone... knocked over ****... hangover... man I love weed.. so much better then being drunk

GoonBoss
08-29-2009, 09:46 PM
It really doesn't change anything for me really in terms of aquiring the bud.. but not having to worry about the whole... getting caught, getting arested, screwing up my life thing would be peachy..

:lol: You sound just exactly like my best freind when I was a kid. Very...Very pro MJ guy. I smoked a total of 2 times, and, freaked out both times, because I am, in general, pretty tightly wound. After the second time, he was

"Dude, the weed is not for you." :lol:

He said it like it was a profound statement, and perhaps it was. He also warned me as ernestly as he could against Cocaine. "I don't deal Coke. Don't ever try it. Try it once, and it will take you under, man."

Last I knew, he was alive and well in the Great Dismal Swamp in Eastern NC in a tiny singlewide.

I miss that guy a great deal.

Clipse
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Is that what you took from that post? If so you need your eyes checked.

Clipse
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
No, anybody who supports Ron Paul recognizes that this is only ONE of the MANY areas in which our constitutional rights are being infringed as well as being ONE of the MANY laws that make zero sense. His post was just pointing out that this is one of the things RP would have tried to fix by now.
Someone gets it :up: