PDA

View Full Version : If Brian "B-Real" Hartline were black...

kcbrown
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Would you like the pick more? I asked myself this honestly and my answer was no. This kid only averaged 2 catches a game, who cares about the reason, that is minimal production. How that garnered a 4th round pick, I have no idea. Its not like he killed it at the combine. Did we really have to snatch him before someone else got him?

I hope the kid pans out but my gut says he could have been had at 6a or 6b - but I'm not the Tuna.

I think he sticks with his special teams play and Camarillo is going to have to prove he still has it to stick around.

ticophin
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
No.....skin color has absolutely nothing to do here....In my opinion, hes been just under the radar for a long time, but the Trifecta saw something in him that fits this teams direction and purpose...
and if Derek Hagan were purple, orange, or green....hed still suck....I just hope hes as tough on ST as heard, and can slowly come in and contribute....

jim1
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Would you like the pick more? I asked myself this honestly and my answer was no. This kid only averaged 2 catches a game, who cares about the reason, that is minimal production. How that garnered a 4th round pick, I have no idea. Its not like he killed it at the combine. Did we really have to snatch him before someone else got him?

I hope the kid pans out but my gut says he could have been had at 6a or 6b - but I'm not the Tuna.

I think he sticks with his special teams play and Camarillo is going to have to prove he still has it to stick around.

From what I heard OSU had a QB switch which seriously diminished the passing game. If that's true then I think that it should be factored in to Hartline's lack of production. IT also might be part of the reaosn that he entered the draft a year early.

zach8111
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
seriously?
i didnt like the pick but his production realy wasnt his fault... he has a rushing true freshman QB. His sophmore season he did much better. ONE things i do like about him is he has good hands and runs great routes, and no he didnt deserve a 4th round pick especially since we draft 2 other WRs (pat is WR/QB) and with some of the people still on the board.

normaniii
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
what u talkinnnnnnnn about willis????????

Thats like asking the question would we like Pat white more if he was white???

Shockinggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!

rdksek844
04-28-2009, 07:06 PM
This might be why. Good special teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JiSSlyWy70&feature=PlayList&p=B57AF2EFD3EF65F0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27

cheyannefan
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Was he worth a 4th round pick? Yes. For this team with the needs we have? We probablyu should have passed, BUT THIS GUY IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER. He has that "it" factor. He wants it more than anyone else on the field. What you see in the stats and on the highlights on ESPN are the flashy plays that look good. But Hartline always comes to play. He gets you those "hustle" plays. On third down, OSU went to Hartline. He always came up with just enough to move the sticks and sometimes more. This team needs a guy like him. No matter what you ask him to do, he does it.
Just watch his highlight reel. He has the speed to make the big plays, the toughness to take a hit, and the hunger to make plays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR2KKPybTJo

kcbrown
04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Chayenne sir you have just convinced me, I'll take your word...nothing better than a hungry ball player

Ricky4Life
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Ya, I hear it had a lot to do with the Quarterback switch to why his numbers dropped like crazy.

Rhody Phins Fan
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
what u talkinnnnnnnn about willis????????

Thats like asking the question would we like Pat white more if he was white???

Shockinggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like him less if he was white.

RoninFin4
04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Ricky4Life is spot on here. Terrell Pryor had no business running the passing game at Ohio State as a freshman. Todd Boeckman was much better in 2007 than Pryor in 2008 as far as passing goes.

I still view Hartline as a faster version of Greg Camarillo, and Hartline was always deceivingly good on kickoff and punt returns during his Buckeye days.

CrazyCarl
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
You have to view this potential wise.

Hartline wasn't bad his sophomore year, then they change QBs to Pryor and hes running not making the pass game excel.

If Pryor went somewhere else, and Ohio State never went to that running QB scheme, Hartline could have possibly progressed more as a WR and yielded better results. He prolly stays in school as well. This pick basically sees the Dolphins take a kid who they know wasn't in the best of offensive situations, but see enough potential in him as a WR to warrant their selection in round 4. I have no problem with that. Especially if they like what they saw from him and believe that he can be coached into a quality WR at the NFL level.

mia4ever
04-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Well we have no ideal ,How healthy is CAM..
Greg was injury in December

He may not ready for training Camp...

hemidemon
04-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Kcbrown, keep in mind, Scouts inc. might have a player rated for the 6th round. Ireland uses his own chart. He dosen't use Scouts or any other service. It's like Ireland said, they put in more time studing the players than Scouts Inc. or Mel Kiper does. Ireland picks according to how they are rated.

FaithfulFinFan
04-29-2009, 02:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JiSSlyWy70&feature=PlayList&p=B57AF2EFD3EF65F0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27

IF he can hit like that on a regular basis he is worth a first round pick.

GeauxFinns3705
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM

He is going to be a great STer and a depth option at WR. On the WR depth he will be behind Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, and Turner. He will battle London for the fifth WR spot. I think if both he and London can both play WR for the Fins, the FO starts looking to move someone.

musphinzfan
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
can u say Roy Hall

MustangFinFan
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
wow, that was a good highlight reel. the guy has excellent hands, runs great routes, is quick/speedy...not afraid to take a hit. He seems like someone who can do slants, quick routes.

MiamiDolfan85
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM

I think he sticks with his special teams play and Camarillo is going to have to prove he still has it to stick around.what?:confused:

Im black,and I like the pick.Whever you find a white guy who can catch,runs a 4.5 and is 6'2,you take him,especially one who is also a good person,all for a 4th rounder,Id do it 10 out of 10 times.Plus he plays SP very well,whether its returning or covering and hitting

besides,reminds me a lot of Dominque Hixon.

GoonBoss
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I can honestly say I do not care what color a player is. If you can play at the NFL level, that's all I care about. I do not believe Hartline makes the roster.

LAMiamifan
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Huh? Thats ignorant blanket

White wr's (not named don beebe or wayne chrebet... well and wes welker) kick ***!

Buddy
04-30-2009, 12:32 AM
When I first saw this pick, I asked myself "who the f*** is Brian Hartline and why did we pick him with the Satele pick?" However, after looking at the highlight videos I completely understand why he is on our team...the man is a Parcells kind of player. He has good size, hits like a freight train, is completely fearless, and plays with heart and intesity. On most of his catches, he simply outjumps the defenders and snags the ball with his hands. If you need convincing, watch the tapes and it will tell you all you need to know.

utahphinsfan
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
If Hartline were black and ran What a 4.55 40?

No way would be playing WR. They'd ask him to bulk up and play safety.

AlexISaFaN
04-30-2009, 01:06 AM
If brian hartline was a martian he would still suck.

burger13
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I think him being white will help his popularity....

Wes Welker and Greg Camarillo's popularity seem to have exceeded their production while here. Does anyone remember Jason Sehorn....being a white CB made him a star for the Giants, with average talent.

I know it's not the case for everyone, but as a whole I think he will get a little bump in popularity being a white receiver.

kcbrown
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Not surprised at the wide opinions from he sucks and won't make the roster to he'll be an asset on special teams or a better version of Camarillo.

I guess the question should be then: do special team tackling machines deserve 4th round picks? (Personally I think not.)

Btw, Eric Allen said Patrick Turner will be a baller for us. Not sure about that, but if he can give us a few (5-7) red zone scores, that'll be cool.

Also, I noticed Izzo got cut by the Pats last week. Maybe Hartline can be Izzo II.

MrClean
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Not surprised at the wide opinions from he sucks and won't make the roster to he'll be an asset on special teams or a better version of Camarillo.

I guess the question should be then: do special team tackling machines deserve 4th round picks? (Personally I think not.)

Btw, Eric Allen said Patrick Turner will be a baller for us. Not sure about that, but if he can give us a few (5-7) red zone scores, that'll be cool.

Also, I noticed Izzo got cut by the Pats last week. Maybe Hartline can be Izzo II.

Izzo was cut longer ago that a week. He has already signed with the Jets I believe. Turns out on March 11 he signed with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Izzo

kcbrown
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Izzo was cut longer ago that a week. He has already signed with the Jets I believe. Turns out on March 11 he signed with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Izzo

Oh, damn that was quick...thx for the update Mr. Clean. Nice career for the Izzo man.

kcbrown
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I can honestly say I do not care what color a player is. If you can play at the NFL level, that's all I care about. I do not believe Hartline makes the roster.

Haha! We shall see indeed.

finfan54
05-01-2009, 06:20 AM

yep. goes across the middle to and not afraid.

finfan54
05-01-2009, 06:21 AM

which goes to show you do not understand the big picture in the game of football. Apparently, to me, we want someone who can take over Ginn and Bess's duties so they can concentrate on bigger things. But go on convincing yourself that ST do not matter. Who cares?

LtDan
05-01-2009, 06:54 AM

correct, you aren't the Tuna

John Biello
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
to me the kid looks like an old school football player. i'm glad to have him on our team

SnakeoilSeller
05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Personally I would not care if he were green and from Mars. If he can get 7 yards on 3rd down with 6 yards to go, I don't care. As long as he can catch, run, and block (of course tackle when he is on special teams).

nick1
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
color doesn't mean much Matt Jones can't be fast cause he's white right? that is the assumption but the guy ran a 4.3 at the combine, he sucks for other reasons like he doesn't seem to want to be good but he's still damn athletic. goes the other way too blacks can't QB? look at McNabb or even do you remember a curtain Warren Moon?

dolpns13
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
From what I heard OSU had a QB switch which seriously diminished the passing game. If that's true then I think that it should be factored in to Hartline's lack of production. IT also might be part of the reaosn that he entered the draft a year early.

I also heard the same thing about a change in system from a passing to running system, but that doesnt make sense to me because I looked at Wells carries and compared them to Hartlines receptions. From 07-08 Hartlines receptions dropped from 56 - 21, so for this to be true, Wells carries should have increased from 07 - 08, but they do not, they actually decrease from 274 - 207. That being said, "I" cant really accept a change in systems as an excuse fro Hartlines drop in production.

Why is this in teh "draft forum" btw and not in the main? We are talking about Hartline, arent we?

gofins
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't care what color the girl in your avatar is, I'd still hit it!

SpurzN703
05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

I'll like the pick if he produces. He can be half yellow, 1/4 violet and 1/4 vomit colored and I wouldn't give a damn if he was productive.

tay0365
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
At the very least, he does look very tough, he could end up being a better pick then people thought....we will see

Pinkboy
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Peter King was in love with Hartline, he loved what he saw in Hartline when he was with scouts in person to watch him. And many scouts said if he stayed another year at OSU instead of coming out early, he would have been a 2nd round grade in the 2010 draft at the latest..

So look at it like getting a 2nd rounder next year for a 4th this year. The Dolphins and Ireland clearly saw his potential and got him early instead of spending a higher pick on him next year.

Fin_Frenzy_84
05-17-2009, 04:57 PM

I can make that hit with my hands behing my back and while im on my knees tryin to eat a live chicken... lol jk jk

cheyannefan
05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I also heard the same thing about a change in system from a passing to running system, but that doesnt make sense to me because I looked at Wells carries and compared them to Hartlines receptions. From 07-08 Hartlines receptions dropped from 56 - 21, so for this to be true, Wells carries should have increased from 07 - 08, but they do not, they actually decrease from 274 - 207. That being said, "I" cant really accept a change in systems as an excuse fro Hartlines drop in production.

Why is this in teh "draft forum" btw and not in the main? We are talking about Hartline, arent we?
You can't really look at Wells' carries. He got hurt at the end of the first game of the season (vs. YSU) and did not play for 3 weeks after that. You have to add up Wells' carries, Boom Herron's carries, and then of course Terrel Pryor's carries to get an acurate view of how the offense changed. I would say that for the most part, when OSU did throw the ball it was a a "read and run" play. A lot like what Vince Young ran at Texas, make the first read and if that isn't there, run. Towards the end of the year, Pryor seemed to get better and start making more reads but it was too late for Hartline. He was the #2 reciever and often was not the first read or Pryor would completely check down to a TE or RB.

phintim
05-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Ok lets ban color from the United States language. Replace it with trash or not trash. Is the kid trash is the question?

paulomac77
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
To answer your question based solely on color, NO!

However, for some reason I did like the chris clemons pick more once I saw he had dreadlocks. Our secondary was lacking in that area. Did anyone else share in my love for the locks?

kcbrown
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
To answer your question based solely on color, NO!

However, for some reason I did like the chris clemons pick more once I saw he had dreadlocks. Our secondary was lacking in that area. Did anyone else share in my love for the locks?

:lol: yeah it does seem like most guys with dreads are ballers for some reason....pacman should have kept his, it seems that he's lost "it" now

XXXSURTAINXXX
05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
lol some of you guys need a hug

123KID
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM
u say b-real on special teams i say tony bua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzalIIrmti8 lol hey guys remember this?????

cheyannefan
05-23-2009, 04:28 PM
u say b-real on special teams i say tony bua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzalIIrmti8 lol hey guys remember this?????
That was an amazing play!!! I had high hopes for Bua, but unfortunately he was just too small. I hope we can get back to that kind of attitude on special teams. We need more players that want to jack someone up on ST. And stop holding!!!

123KID
05-24-2009, 02:21 AM
very true didnt ginn have like 4 td's called back due to holding...ST should watch this vid. sunday morning before games

1 dol fan
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Hopefully he will be changing his nickname from B-Real to B-Reel!!!

But seriously, if he were black, I would still think it was a bad pick... but his gangster attitude would be less of an issue for me. Also, with a nickname like B-Real, you gotta be white!

72champagne
05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
there's no water on Mars unless maybe he lived way underground.