PDA

View Full Version : No-Fail Policy

JCane
04-29-2009, 01:35 AM
So apparently we can't give kids an F anymore because it hurts their feelings.

At a growing number of middle schools and high schools across the country, students no longer receive failing marks when they fail. Instead, they get an "H" for "held" on their report cards, and they're given a chance to rectify their poor performance without tanking the entire semester.

If you ask me, failure is a great motivator.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518101,00.html

PassRush
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
They need to stop cramming this "everyone is special" mentality down our throats. I was horrible in school, I just did not understand most topics, despite how much I tried to study. Does that make me special? NO. It makes me a subpar student. If these coddled childeren ever make it into the military, they are going to be in for a major culture shock.

Bumpus
04-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Yep. If "too many" ( I've never gotten a satisfactory answer as to what is too many) of my students fail for the 9-weeks, I get pressure from administration. As if it is somehow my fault that students refuse to study. Our society is really heading down a bad path. If kids don't want to try, they just complain that it's too hard and we're supposed to coddle them.

There is ZERO accountability in Middle Schools today.

We are definately setting them up for failure later in life.

SpaceMountain16
04-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Ridiculous,

And i completely agree Bumpus, it does set them up for failure later in life. I'm not a teacher but i think the education system is way too easy on kids nowadays. Passable grades are so easily attainable that kids don't even have to try, and kids who don't deserve to advance (along with kids who aren't adequately skilled) are moving up as a result of it.

PassRush
04-29-2009, 11:51 PM
I figure this is the apropriate thread to say that ADD and ADHD are not real "disorders". There is such a thing as a dumb kid, its either dumb, lazy or pot head(which is kind of both)

JCane
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM

There is ZERO accountability in America PERIOD. Everyone wants to point fingers and find someone to blame instead of looking in the mirror. That's a BIG reason as to why our economy is in the shape it's in, divorce rates are where they are, and why graduation and literacy rates are as poor as they are.

Take responsibility and acountability for the things that happen to YOU.

PassRush
04-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Yep. If "too many" ( I've never gotten a satisfactory answer as to what is too many) of my students fail for the 9-weeks, I get pressure from administration. As if it is somehow my fault that students refuse to study. Our society is really heading down a bad path. If kids don't want to try, they just complain that it's too hard and we're supposed to coddle them.

We are definately setting them up for failure later in life.
This statement is shocking to me. You are right, this socioty is headed down the wrong path. School is supposed to prepare kids for the real world. As a MA(Navy Police), every day I route a non-judicial punishment for some young sailor who was coddled too much growing up, and was not prepared for the reality of the real world(accountability for their actions)

CedarPhin
04-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Its the same thing where they now give awards to every kid in baseball or whatever sport....because they don't want to hurt their feelings.

It's pretty sad the way things have gone. I think they should learn the lesson of failure and loss...because the real world isn't a forgiving place.

Dolphan7
04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
What a tragedy. The things we teach our kids these days. And this mentality is working it's way into the work force too. There are some places and some jobs where it is almost impossible to fire someone. Unions promote this type of mentality.