PDA

View Full Version : Merged: WEEKLY BLOG: Certified Short guy says...

MustangFinFan
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey everyone, so I work as a personal trainer, and every week i write blogs at the facility, so I thought Id share them with my fellow finheaveners. Every week Wednesday ill post my new blog. Ill post my first three already. Maybe you'll find them helpful, or just fun to read. Either way, enjoy!

“CERTIFIED SHORT GUY SAYS..”

DO YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY AND EAT HEALTHY? “I bet you do!”

A few months ago I was wandering Safeway where I passed through the frozen food aisles, past the seafood, and around the produce section. I got to thinking. It seems that many times the healthiest foods to eat are the most expensive. I wondered ‘is there any healthier, cheaper alternative’?

So, I began my quest for that healthier, cheaper alternative and arrived in the frozen foods aisle. As I was walking down the aisle I came across those TV dinners. There were many brands, like Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and Eating Right. I saw the price tag and thought “hmmm…that’s not too shabby”, but when I went home and checked online, I saw Giant was selling Lean Cuisine meals at a price of 4 for 10 dollars.

TV dinners actually taste good and here’s the best part; they are cheap! I’ve also noticed that since buying them, I’ve been trimming down. I save on average anywhere from $20 to $30 a week. The extra savings are enough to fill up my gas tank. Hey, it’s a big deal to me, since my car loves to guzzle gas because it loves me so much.

My favorite brand? Lean Cuisine. Most are cheap, and made with no preservatives, artificial flavors, and less sodium which is a big thumbs up! Now, if you’ve got a sweet tooth, Smart Ones also makes desserts, which I have to say, are delicious.

Sodium is one of the main reasons TV dinners get a bad rap. The Sodium, along with the artificial additives used to be enough to send the health nuts running. I’ve looked all over the internet, and I’ve read article after article, and found no studies that show these additives are bad for you (at least not when consumed in a moderate amount). Yes, lots of sodium isn’t the best, but sodium doesn’t turn to fat, it retains water. According to the FDA’s food labeling rules, the daily intake for sodium is 2,400 mg. My suggestion is to buy them for work. I now bring two Healthy Choice meals to work every day.

Most days of the week, the local grocery store has these meals on sale. I suggest that you do a sales check on the internet first, just to make sure. Ok, enough from me. Now, GET BACK TO WORK!

MustangFinFan
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Certified Short Guy says...

So you say you want to lose weight?

NO, you want to lose FAT

“I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT”. Have you ever made this statement? This is a common thing I hear. Truth is, many of you want to lose “fat”. There is a difference. For example, 5 lbs. of fat is much bulkier than 5 lbs. of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. Understand, muscle does not weigh more than fat but it is much denser and looks a whole lot better. You can have a guy who weighs 220 pounds and is pure muscle, and another guy who is 220 and pure fat (THEY WILL LOOK DIFFERENT). The average body fat percentage for men is 15% and 25% for women. Now don’t freak out, those aren’t big numbers for either gender. Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, so I’m guessing things weigh more in Mars. Mars does make the 2009 UFO (Motor Trend Jet of the Year). I test flew it, and almost got shot down by the Air Force for some reason. They’re just jealous!

Here are a few simple things I’ve learned about weight management and how to properly weigh yourself. I learned these things in my Kinesiology class as a freshman when I was actually paying attention (hey, 85% of the class was female).

1. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning. You see, when you wake up, your body is in a fasting state (that’s why they call it breakfast…break fast, GET IT?). As you go through the day, you put all sorts of food and beverages into your body, so it adds to your weight. Try weighing yourself at night before you go to bed, then first thing in the morning, and see for yourself.

2. I see many people weighing themselves with shoes and a big sweater.
CMON GUYS! The shoes and sweater will add weight, and yes the IPod adds weight too. That’s just as bad as going to a massage therapist (which I also am), and asking for a nice oily massage, but refusing to take your shirt off.

3. Only weigh yourself once a week. I see some people weighing themselves every single day! Do you really think your weight will change drastically in a day? (According to Dr. Burger King it can, but he had his physician license revoked last year for prescribing the infamous 4-a-day Whopper Diet to everyone). So just pick one day, you’ll make your weight scale much happier. How would you feel if someone stepped on you everyday?

Hmm, that’s all I got for this week. I’m off to Outback Steakhouse to try the Bloomin Onion Diet. Ha, until next time

MustangFinFan
05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
CERTIFIED SHORT GUY says...

HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID

Alrite everyone, we have a national crisis on our hands. No, Im not talking about gas prices, or how a single bottle of my Michelob Ultra costs $5.25 at many restaurants, nor am I talking about how DC teams cant seem to win anything. No, Im talking about the High Fructose Corn Syrup Crisis!

You may hear people say theyre cutting down on fats and carbs, but I bet you’ve never (or rarely) heard someone say theyre going to cut down on High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Like many things, there are studies saying this ingredient is horrible for you, and there are studies (mostly by the people who make it) saying its no worse than sugar. But from my own experience (Sure I’m 23 years old, but I have a wide variety of experiences) and from people I know, cutting down on this stuff will actually help quite a bit with trimming down, along with a healthy balanced diet.

So by now you may be asking ‘What is this High Fructose Corn Syrup stuff?’ Well, its a group of corn syrups that goes through a process to convert its glucose into fructose. Afterwards, it gets mixed with pure corn syrup so that it tastes sweet. (If that confuses you, try reading the scientific description, even Steven Hawking would say “huh? I don’t get it.”) Unfortunately, this stuff is beginning to replace sugars in many processed foods, mainly because its cheaper, (mainly because companies want to save money for some odd reason).

High Fructose Corn Syrup’s main ingredient is (I bet you’d never guess) fructose. So scientists decided to put this stuff to the test, to see if it really does make us more fat. And who better to test it on than, umm, mice (you can see the similarities between a mouse and a human…apparently). So when scientists fed mickey mouse high quantities of fructose (that’s HFCS), they realized that it increases obesity, makes the liver produce triglycerides, and induces insulin resistance. After a few weeks, mickey mouse showed signs of fatty liver disease and type 2 diabetes. Does it mean anything for us human-ites? Who knows, they’re just mice. But I will say this, after introducing HFCS to the world, the obesity rates HAVE climbed. So my suggestion is to read labels. If it has High Fructose Corn Syrup, AND more than 8 grams of sugar, Id keep the consumption to a minimum.

That’s it for now. Lately I’ve been trying to find out the effects of mass quantities of alcohol on humans, so im going to travel to Australia to give mass quantities of alcohol to koala bears to see what happens.

ih8brady
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone, so I work as a personal trainer, and every week i write blogs at the facility, so I thought Id share them with my fellow finheaveners. Every week Wednesday ill post my new blog. Ill post my first three already. Maybe you'll find them helpful, or just fun to read. Either way, enjoy!
“CERTIFIED SHORT GUY SAYS..”
DO YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY AND EAT HEALTHY? “I bet you do!”

A few months ago I was wandering Safeway where I passed through the frozen food aisles, past the seafood, and around the produce section. I got to thinking. It seems that many times the healthiest foods to eat are the most expensive. I wondered ‘is there any healthier, cheaper alternative’?

So, I began my quest for that healthier, cheaper alternative and arrived in the frozen foods aisle. As I was walking down the aisle I came across those TV dinners. There were many brands, like Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and Eating Right. I saw the price tag and thought “hmmm…that’s not too shabby”, but when I went home and checked online, I saw Giant was selling Lean Cuisine meals at a price of 4 for 10 dollars.

TV dinners actually taste good and here’s the best part; they are cheap! I’ve also noticed that since buying them, I’ve been trimming down. I save on average anywhere from $20 to $30 a week. The extra savings are enough to fill up my gas tank. Hey, it’s a big deal to me, since my car loves to guzzle gas because it loves me so much.

My favorite brand? Lean Cuisine. Most are cheap, and made with no preservatives, artificial flavors, and less sodium which is a big thumbs up! Now, if you’ve got a sweet tooth, Smart Ones also makes desserts, which I have to say, are delicious.

Sodium is one of the main reasons TV dinners get a bad rap. The Sodium, along with the artificial additives used to be enough to send the health nuts running. I’ve looked all over the internet, and I’ve read article after article, and found no studies that show these additives are bad for you (at least not when consumed in a moderate amount). Yes, lots of sodium isn’t the best, but sodium doesn’t turn to fat, it retains water. According to the FDA’s food labeling rules, the daily intake for sodium is 2,400 mg. My suggestion is to buy them for work. I now bring two Healthy Choice meals to work every day.

Most days of the week, the local grocery store has these meals on sale. I suggest that you do a sales check on the internet first, just to make sure. Ok, enough from me. Now, GET BACK TO WORK!

By coincidence, I just started a similar routine. They do make great, low calorie meals and helps me because my weight tends to yo-yo a lot and I have to be aware of that. Definitely worth trying especially if money is tight for you. :up: