PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion; bands reforming

ryanosaur2000
05-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Lots of bands that I grew up listening to have broken up over the years, some before I got a chance to see them live. Recent times have seen many of these bands reform; Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Faith No More etc etc.

My feelings are mixed about this. Part of me thinks "great, that gives me a chance to see them live" and another part of me thinks "oh no, another great band reforming because they are stuck for cash and are now a shadow of their former selves".

How do you guys feel about this phenomena?

Tetragrammaton
05-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I would rather see it not happen. If Lennon hadn't died, I fear what the horror would have been when all of their money started to dry up.

Bands are a very complex organism. They only work for a period of time. When people change and grow, bands have to break up. The supporting artists start getting frustrated with the band leaders, and the different members start wanting to take the music in different directions. Reforming a band is almost always done for financial reasons, and the music suffers.

My Bloody Valentine and the Pixies would be great to see live, but I would not expect much from a new album.

GoonBoss
05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
As long as they can be true to the music they made together, I don't see a big issue with it. The Eagles did reasonably well on their last reunion.

ryanosaur2000
05-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I would rather see it not happen. If Lennon hadn't died, I fear what the horror would have been when all of their money started to dry up.

Bands are a very complex organism. They only work for a period of time. When people change and grow, bands have to break up. The supporting artists start getting frustrated with the band leaders, and the different members start wanting to take the music in different directions. Reforming a band is almost always done for financial reasons, and the music suffers.

My Bloody Valentine and the Pixies would be great to see live, but I would not expect much from a new album.

Well said my friend. 100% agree with your appraisal.

emeraldfin
05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I dunno, never have been a great fan of it. I dont think that many bands that re-formed have come back better than they originally were. So on that assumption I dont really like hearing it.

In your own opinion, have any of those bands you listed sounded better than they originally did, when they re-formed?

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I've always felt the original core line-up on the 1st album is the only thing that should be associated with that band name. Faith No More should have stopped calling themselves Faith No More after Chuck Mosley left. It's a completely different band with Mike Patton. I guess it's "great" for some people who never got a chance to see a band play in their heyday get to see a reformed version, but it'll still never be the same thing. If you missed it, you missed it. I seriously believe there should be a law against this. Iron Maiden should have stopped calling themselves Iron Maiden after Paul Dianno left. Metallica should have stopped calling themselves Metallica after Cliff Burton died and so on and so on. Not saying they should have stopped playing, just changed the name. But then i'm hard core. Metallica after Cliff is a joke. And although Bruce Dickinson is an amazing singer, Iron Maiden will always be with Paul. Change the name or give it the **** up. Reforming is for posers.

Lappy
05-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I've always felt the original core line-up on the 1st album is the only thing that should be associated with that band name. Faith No More should have stopped calling themselves Faith No More after Chuck Mosley left. It's a completely different band with Mike Patton. I guess it's "great" for some people who never got a chance to see a band play in their heyday get to see a reformed version, but it'll still never be the same thing. If you missed it, you missed it. I seriously believe there should be a law against this. Iron Maiden should have stopped calling themselves Iron Maiden after Paul Dianno left. Metallica should have stopped calling themselves Metallica after Cliff Burton died and so on and so on. Not saying they should have stopped playing, just changed the name. But then i'm hard core. Metallica after Cliff is a joke. And although Bruce Dickinson is an amazing singer, Iron Maiden will always be with Paul. Change the name or give it the **** up. Reforming is for posers.

you love feelling the original core.

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
you love feelling the original core.

I love feeling like a v.i.p.!

Lappy
05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I love feeling like a v.i.p.!

you are a VIP however I don't have the badge. Someone stole it from just like all my fries at Mcdonalds!

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM
you are a VIP however I don't have the badge. Someone stole it from just like all my fries at Mcdonalds!

you should have paid for the gas - have fun watching the game next year on tv with spray mucus!

Lappy
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
you should have paid for the gas - have fun watching the game next year on tv with spray mucus!

I offered to pay for the gas! You told me, "I'll take care of this Lappy! I role out the red carpet when you come to town!"

Then you took me to Mcdonalds and made me pay! What the hell?

BobDole
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM
it typically doesn't go well. i will never get over what axel did to gnr. there are a few instances when the 'reform' goes well and you can catch a glimpse of the former greatness - but in most cases its a crime against humanity.

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I offered to pay for the gas! You told me, "I'll take care of this Lappy! I role out the red carpet when you come to town!"

Then you took me to Mcdonalds and made me pay! What the hell?

just make sure if greatwade and i ever come to town, you roll out the white carpet!

Lappy
05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
just make sure if greatwade and i ever come to town, you roll out the white carpet!

hahahahahaha Remember how hung over we were and at like 9:30 am we decided to go eat Mcdonalds breakfast then go back to Wade's for a nap and you slept till 5!

hahahahahaha

best.week.ever!

sept for SPray Mucus and his work outs!

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
hahahahahaha Remember how hung over we were and at like 9:30 am we decided to go eat Mcdonalds breakfast then go back to Wade's for a nap and you slept till 5!

hahahahahaha

best.week.ever!

sept for SPray Mucus and his work outs!

hahahahahaha - that was the night you and the plummah were angling for ginger - how did you **** that one up?! you should have won that one by default!

Lappy
05-29-2009, 12:37 PM
hahahahahaha - that was the night you and the plummah were angling for ginger - how did you **** that one up?! you should have won that one by default!

LIES!

wait, was I?

hahahahahah This year should even be better! NO SPRAY MUCUS!

d-day
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
LIES!

wait, was I?

hahahahahah This year should even be better! NO SPRAY MUCUS!

better hope you're staying on the east coast this year!

finataxia24
05-29-2009, 10:44 PM
bands that break up & get back together like Queen & alice in chains

suck now..

some reunions work...

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Working With Producer DON WAS - May 28, 2009

"We've already got 18 songs written. We'll probably whittle it down to the best 12," he said. "But then there'll be a lot of other songs ready for the next record."

He added, "We're working with (producer) Don Was. And if he could make records with the (THE ROLLING) STONES and all their shenanigans ... then he can handle STP."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZWJNOldYPo

ryanosaur2000
05-31-2009, 01:49 PM
I dunno, never have been a great fan of it. I dont think that many bands that re-formed have come back better than they originally were. So on that assumption I dont really like hearing it.

In your own opinion, have any of those bands you listed sounded better than they originally did, when they re-formed?

In my experience man, no they have not. They usually do not have the energy or passion they once had and therefore they lose something, so the music suffers.

That is just from my own personal experiences.