PDA

View Full Version : Top Selling Artists of The 2000's. (You'll be surprised)

GoonBoss
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/34074/chart-watch-extra-the-top-20-album-sellers-of-the-2000s

Most of these artists I can't stand.

1 dol fan
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree... only a few of these are still relevant let alone good...

Tetragrammaton
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I am just surprised Elvis isn't on there.

The high number of country artists makes sense, though.

GoonBoss
05-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Linkin Park and Creed absolutely astound me. I can't believe they were/are so popular. Out of the list I like Kid Rock, Eminem, Johnny Cash and Toby Kieth. Kenny Chesney is ok. I like his Island-oriented stuff.

ih8brady
05-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Some real crap on that list. America doesn't got talent, America Dislikes Talent.

tylerdolphin
05-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Linkin Park and Creed absolutely astound me. I can't believe they were/are so popular. Out of the list I like Kid Rock, Eminem, Johnny Cash and Toby Kieth. Kenny Chesney is ok. I like his Island-oriented stuff.
I actually liked LP back in the day. Havent listened to them in forever though. They were pretty unique.

ih8brady
05-30-2009, 05:42 PM

David Cross regularly skews Creed. Check out his album It's Not Funny.

GoonBoss
05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
David Cross regularly skews Creed. Check out his album It's Not Funny.
I just can't stand them.

X-Pacolypse
05-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Nickelback blows. Linkin Park, Kid Rock, and Eminem all make sense. I stopped following Nelly after Nellyville, and Metallica made money this decade because of past albums. It certainly wasn't because of St. Anger.

King Nate
05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Holy Country Music, Batman! I absolutely despise that stuff.

Dolfan984
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
HZLjJy0abf8

>.>

dlockz
05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I personally think Linkin park is pretty damn solid.

tylerdolphin
05-31-2009, 02:42 AM
I personally think Linkin park is pretty damn solid.
They were...but their latest album is craptastic

Arsenal WV
05-31-2009, 06:53 AM
I love country music personally.

I don't see why everybody hates it so much. It's much better than that "rap" stuff they have out now.

emeraldfin
05-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Pretty shocked at how little rock/alternative is in there.

Just shows where the money is really.

1 dol fan
05-31-2009, 03:58 PM

It just isn't as "money" as it used to be. Every once in a while, a good song comes up but it isn't consistent enough to sell full albums. I haven't heard a new album yet that I would pay $15 for.

Locke
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM
It just isn't as "money" as it used to be. Every once in a while, a good song comes up but it isn't consistent enough to sell full albums. I haven't heard a new album yet that I would pay $15 for.

You just need to know where to look my friend. The problem with music is the truly good stuff isn't played anywhere obvious. You have to adhere to a certain standard to get played on MTV, VH1, or main stream radio. There's little creativity there. If you want truly good rock or alternative, you have to dig. Satellite radio is surprisingly solid for finding amazing relatively unknown bands. Check these guys out though. This is probably the best band you've never heard of. Or maybe you have?

A Day To Remember

Oh, and if you want a website with LOTS of free music for you to browse, check out purevolume.com. Its not illegal, the bands themselves post the music to get their name out there, and there are A LOT bands posting music on it.....

1 dol fan
05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
You just need to know where to look my friend. The problem with music is the truly good stuff isn't played anywhere obvious. You have to adhere to a certain standard to get played on MTV, VH1, or main stream radio. There's little creativity there. If you want truly good rock or alternative, you have to dig. Satellite radio is surprisingly solid for finding amazing relatively unknown bands. Check these guys out though. This is probably the best band you've never heard of. Or maybe you have?

A Day To Remember

Oh, and if you want a website with LOTS of free music for you to browse, check out purevolume.com. Its not illegal, the bands themselves post the music to get their name out there, and there are A LOT bands posting music on it.....
Its much appreciated!

Tetragrammaton
05-31-2009, 05:45 PM

I would imagine that that crowd is the most likely to download music. That is why rap and country is so high on the list.

Also, before the decade is up, the Beatles will be number 1. They are re-releasing their entire discography, remastered, in September. I cannot wait. The current albums sound so bad on decent headphones.

ih8brady
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I am just surprised Elvis isn't on there.

The high number of country artists makes sense, though.

Add Sinatra, Michael Jackson and U2 to the surprised exclusion.

emeraldfin
05-31-2009, 09:45 PM

A Day To Remember

Would agree that you will very rarely hear the best rock/alternative on mainstream radio or tv. Going to local gigs or my personal favorite is going to a music festival and sitting in the new bands or future sounds stages, is the best way to find good music.

Never heard of A Day to Remember, so cheers for the recommending them. Had a quick listen and not too bad. Would need a few more listens to get an overall view. If you know of any more bands worth checking out let me know as I love hearing new music. That website is brilliant dude also.

Finfang
05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I would imagine that that crowd is the most likely to download music. That is why rap and country is so high on the list.

Also, before the decade is up, the Beatles will be number 1. They are re-releasing their entire discography, remastered, in September. I cannot wait. The current albums sound so bad on decent headphones.

Digitally remastered Beatles. No thanks.

I'd rather listen to the original analog recordings. That is how it was meant to be.

I despise polished remasters just for the sake of headphones.

Leave the original collection alone.

JCane
05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I'll take Cash and that'll be it. The rest of them...eh.

And apparently I look like this Kenny Chesney character according to many female friends.

Possum
06-01-2009, 12:25 AM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/34074/chart-watch-extra-the-top-20-album-sellers-of-the-2000s

Most of these artists I can't stand.
How could you hate nstink, celine dion and britney spears? wow you must not be american.

Locke
06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Would agree that you will very rarely hear the best rock/alternative on mainstream radio or tv. Going to local gigs or my personal favorite is going to a music festival and sitting in the new bands or future sounds stages, is the best way to find good music.

Never heard of A Day to Remember, so cheers for the recommending them. Had a quick listen and not too bad. Would need a few more listens to get an overall view. If you know of any more bands worth checking out let me know as I love hearing new music. That website is brilliant dude also.

Just give me a genre, I'll give you a list of good bands. Most of which you'll find on purevolume, so you won't have to download anything unless you like them. I spend hours on that site, its amazing....

emeraldfin
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Just give me a genre, I'll give you a list of good bands. Most of which you'll find on purevolume, so you won't have to download anything unless you like them. I spend hours on that site, its amazing....

Anything alternative really would do.

Locke
06-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Anything alternative really would do.

Alternative is pretty all-encompassing, so I'll throw out a few of the better ones I think.

Acceptance
Alexisonfire
Anadivine
Archer's New Rival
Before Braille
Between Home and Serenity
Blinded Black
Carissa's Wierd
Catherine
City and Colour (Side Project from Dallas Green of Alexisonfire)
The Color Fred (Side project from Fred Mascherino of Taking Back Sunday)
A Day at the Fair
The Elliot Project
Escape the Fate
Four Letter Lie
Gatsby's American Dream
Glory of This
Gratitude
Greeley Estates
Halifax
He Is Legend
A Heartwell Ending
Hidden in Plain View
The Hurt Process
I am Ghost
Ice Nine Kills
June
The Junior Varsity
Just Surrender
Last Days of April
The Legion of Doom (not the rappers)
Lovehatehero
Lucero
Matchbook Romance
Matt Pond PA
Mayday Parade
Minus The Bear

I just went through my iTunes and listed a few bands you might be interested in. If you want more, I can go through in more detail. Plus, I stopped after M, so still have half the alphabet left. Some of this is screamo/hard-core, so if you're not into that, a few of these bands you won't like. They mostly fall into the alternative category though.....

Tetragrammaton
06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Digitally remastered Beatles. No thanks.

I'd rather listen to the original analog recordings. That is how it was meant to be.

I despise polished remasters just for the sake of headphones.

Leave the original collection alone.

Only the boy band-era Beatles was issued in analog. Rubber Soul and on are in stereo, and it is terrible. They pushed all the instruments to one channel or the other, and it is a very odd experience.

I am usually one to preserve the originals, and I hated what they did with Let it Be...Naked (I don't think they are going to remaster the original Let it Be, the better version), but there needs to be either a good stereo mix for all or a mono mix for the later albums.

JT-forpresident
06-01-2009, 02:20 PM

it's because you've never seen linkin park live... i'm not a huge fan but i got free tickets for the summer festival in quebec city, they were playing outdoors, it was ****ing crazy

emeraldfin
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Alternative is pretty all-encompassing, so I'll throw out a few of the better ones I think.

Acceptance
Alexisonfire
Anadivine
Archer's New Rival
Before Braille
Between Home and Serenity
Blinded Black
Carissa's Wierd
Catherine
City and Colour (Side Project from Dallas Green of Alexisonfire)
The Color Fred (Side project from Fred Mascherino of Taking Back Sunday)
A Day at the Fair
The Elliot Project
Escape the Fate
Four Letter Lie
Gatsby's American Dream
Glory of This
Gratitude
Greeley Estates
Halifax
He Is Legend
A Heartwell Ending
Hidden in Plain View
The Hurt Process
I am Ghost
Ice Nine Kills
June
The Junior Varsity
Just Surrender
Last Days of April
The Legion of Doom (not the rappers)
Lovehatehero
Lucero
Matchbook Romance
Matt Pond PA
Mayday Parade
Minus The Bear

I just went through my iTunes and listed a few bands you might be interested in. If you want more, I can go through in more detail. Plus, I stopped after M, so still have half the alphabet left. Some of this is screamo/hard-core, so if you're not into that, a few of these bands you won't like. They mostly fall into the alternative category though.....

Holy **** Locke thats a fair bit to get through :lol:. I'm pretty open to any-thing around the rock/alternative genre so I have no problem going through them all, just may take me a while to get through them.

But thanks alot for that dude, always enjoy hearing new music and most of those bands listed are new to me, so its greatly appreciated. When I get through them all I'll get back to you on it.

But again, cheers dude.

Locke
06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Holy **** Locke thats a fair bit to get through :lol:. I'm pretty open to any-thing around the rock/alternative genre so I have no problem going through them all, just may take me a while to get through them.

But thanks alot for that dude, always enjoy hearing new music and most of those bands listed are new to me, so its greatly appreciated. When I get through them all I'll get back to you on it.

But again, cheers dude.

Anytime bud :up:

Whenever you want more, just let me know....

Finfang
06-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Only the boy band-era Beatles was issued in analog. Rubber Soul and on are in stereo, and it is terrible. They pushed all the instruments to one channel or the other, and it is a very odd experience.

I am usually one to preserve the originals, and I hated what they did with Let it Be...Naked (I don't think they are going to remaster the original Let it Be, the better version), but there needs to be either a good stereo mix for all or a mono mix for the later albums.

From the way I understand it they are going to release the first four records in stereo since they were the only ones released totally in mono. There will also be mono mixes of the others included.

I agree the old mono format was terrible but most people didn't have stereos back then and were just playing the records on mono record players.

I think you may have missed my point though. I prefer the analog recordings of these songs because that is originally how they sounded when they were recorded. I am not a fan of digital remasters because when they go in and clean up the original analog tracks it sounds way too polished and almost fake. I agree the quality will be better but then you lose that overall originality of how the tracks were recorded. That is where I draw the line. I am perfectly happy with the analog recordings I have on CD. I realize that these versions have been doctored and cleaned up a bit but nothing like you will experience with the digital remasters. The Beatles weren't meant to be examined by computer technology and dolled up.

BTW I heard they are still debating on the release. I also read they have been working on this project for 4 years. Seems as fast as technology moves the digitals they did back in '05 would be obsolete by now.

Cassiopeia
06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

But again, cheers dude.

locke loves it when people asks him for music. you made his day for sure. a friend of ours came over a few weekends ago, and he and locke spent the entire day on his computer going through his itunes. it was seriously seven hours or so. music heads, yeesh....

Tetragrammaton
06-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Finfang, the remasters are definitely coming out in September along with the Beatles Rock Band game. They had to digitally separate the mono tracks for the game, so most of the work was already done.

Personally, I am looking forward to hearing the tracks redone. I have never been able to hear two guitars in the early albums, as hard as I try.

Adam First
06-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Surprised Jay-Z is lower than Nelly.