PDA

View Full Version : Sequels KILL Me!!

The_Dark_Knight
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
After getting back home from Nigeria on Sunday, I decided it was time to catch some movies I wanted to see that weren't released until after I was gone, so last night I went to see Terminator Salvation.

It was indeed a great entetaining film. Special effects were awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed it, however...in making sequels, can't the writers and directors at least try to maintain consistenty with the originals??

For example, I thought it was great that in Terminator Salvation, the latest greatest Terminator was molded and used CGI to make him look like Arnold, consistent with the original Terminator, but where did they get his model being the T-800? As I recall, "Arnold" was Cyberdine Systems Model 101.

Or how about when John Connor is listening to the tapes his mother recorded for him while traveling through Mexico (consistent with the end of the original)...inserted added dialogue that wasn't in the original...that Kyle Reese will only be a teenager when he meets him. That's not consistent with the original. Kyle Reese in the orignal tells Sarah Connor that he volunteered to go back in time to meet "The Legend", how she taught her son how to fight, yet...there's no reference to all of this at all.

I don't know...maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I just wish sequels would at least be consistent with the originals. I'm planning on going to see Star Trek tonight. I just hope I'm not disappointed with inconsistencies.

1 dol fan
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
After getting back home from Nigeria on Sunday, I decided it was time to catch some movies I wanted to see that weren't released until after I was gone, so last night I went to see Terminator Salvation.

It was indeed a great entetaining film. Special effects were awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed it, however...in making sequels, can't the writers and directors at least try to maintain consistenty with the originals??

For example, I thought it was great that in Terminator Salvation, the latest greatest Terminator was molded and used CGI to make him look like Arnold, consistent with the original Terminator, but where did they get his model being the T-800? As I recall, "Arnold" was Cyberdine Systems Model 101.

Or how about when John Connor is listening to the tapes his mother recorded for him while traveling through Mexico (consistent with the end of the original)...inserted added dialogue that wasn't in the original...that Kyle Reese will only be a teenager when he meets him. That's not consistent with the original. Kyle Reese in the orignal tells Sarah Connor that he volunteered to go back in time to meet "The Legend", how she taught her son how to fight, yet...there's no reference to all of this at all.

I don't know...maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I just wish sequels would at least be consistent with the originals. I'm planning on going to see Star Trek tonight. I just hope I'm not disappointed with inconsistencies.
You won't be... Its pretty awesome and consistent

GoonBoss
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Producers and directors of movies are often not as invested as fans.

ih8brady
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Producers and directors of movies are often not as invested as fans.

True, and there also comes a time for most storylines to end gracefully. Terminator should have ended with the first one or maybe T2. The last two blew and it looks like that crappy McG wants to make more :rolleyes2:

LouPhinFan
06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
If you want to see truly good story telling, go see a Pixar film. They're the only ones that really do it in Hollywood anymore. Unfortunately.

CedarPhin
06-10-2009, 02:56 AM
The latest Friday the 13th wasn't too bad.

SpaceMountain16
06-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Well i'm pretty sure that Arnold's model was always a T-800. At the very least that's mentioned in the books, i can't recall if it's mentioned in the first three movies. Obviously the Liquid Cop in T-2 is the T-1000 so you figure Arnold is an older version of that.

I believe Linda Hamilton recorded voice overs for the new film so those tapes were in essence new. I don't think they were the ones in the other movies. I haven't seen Terminator or T-2 in a while so i can't really recall much of Kyle Reese but i had a feeling that something was up there, i think there is an inconsistency with that whole thing.

SpurzN703
06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Star Trek is a remake anyway. Do you think William Shatner rode a ninja motorcycle around and banged hot chicks all day?

1 dol fan
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Star Trek is a remake anyway. Do you think William Shatner rode a ninja motorcycle around and banged hot chicks all day?
... ya never know

Wildbill3
06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Anytime something isn't quite right in a terminator film, chaulk it up to the "new timeline" almost every movie is a new timeline. I could get real geeky and take a book to describe this but trust me, the first movie was a different timeline than the 2nd, and 3rd and most probably the 4th...

SoJoMike
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not even going to go near that one -- they have a Terminator walking around in a turban for christ sake!!! How can I take that movie any more seriously than Big Top Pee Wee?

The_Dark_Knight
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I saw the new Star Trek and I absolutely LOVED it. It was so cleverly written with the bad guy coming back in time and altering the past, creating alternate futures and freeing the writers to alter each of the characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

ih8brady
06-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I saw the new Star Trek and I absolutely LOVED it. It was so cleverly written with the bad guy coming back in time and altering the past, creating alternate futures and freeing the writers to alter each of the characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Really? I think that's just a stretch to create continuity. I say, just make it as a remake.

Possum
06-16-2009, 12:49 AM
if he didnt, he could still save you money at priceline.
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

d-day
06-16-2009, 12:52 AM
If you want to see truly good story telling, go see a Pixar film. They're the only ones that really do it in Hollywood anymore. Unfortunately.

+1

wall-e was outstanding

Tetragrammaton
06-16-2009, 12:53 AM
The good thing about art films is you never have to worry about a sequel.

I avoid the movie theater in the summer like the plague, minus the occasional travel to the indie theater.

Possum
06-16-2009, 12:54 AM
+1

wall-e was outstanding
only movie that can captivate an audience and win an acadamy award with only 20 minutes of talking in it. :up:

Tetragrammaton
06-16-2009, 12:56 AM

It really is incredible how they continue to put out such high-quality storytelling in a genre that usually skimps on that. I don't share your enthusiasm, but they are better than T4, Transformers 2, and Cavemen any day of the week.

d-day
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
only movie that can captivate an audience and win an acadamy award with only 20 minutes of talking in it. :up:

saw a bunch of outtakes this weekend - they got that movie right - a true 4 star movie

Possum
06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
It really is incredible how they continue to put out such high-quality storytelling in a genre that usually skimps on that. I don't share your enthusiasm, but they are better than T4, Transformers 2, and Cavemen any day of the week.
Should be better then the first one. Plus Michael Bay probably as more to work with since the first one blew up out of nowhere.

Possum
06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
saw a bunch of outtakes this weekend - they got that movie right - a true 4 star movie
UP was pretty fantastic too

ih8brady
06-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Only McG who not only has the dumbest pseudonym in show business could possibly make Michael Bay and JJ Abrams look good (in comparison).

d-day
06-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Only McG who not only has the dumbest pseudonym in show business could possibly make Michael Bay and JJ Abrams look good (in comparison).

i gotta give him a lil credit, though - he does produce my favorite show on tv (outside dexter)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934814/

1 dol fan
06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
i gotta give him a lil credit, though - he does produce my favorite show on tv (outside dexter)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934814/
I never really watched that show... Its worth my time?

LouPhinFan
06-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Really the only summer blockbuster that I've see in the past 5 or 6 years that even came close to Pixar's story telling was The Dark Knight. Simply outstanding drama / human study wrapped up in a superhero flick.

My wife and I had a "date night" a couple of weekends ago. I wanted to go see Up but she wanted to go see Night at the Museum 2. Yeah, we saw Night at the Museum. Hank Azaria was the only good thing about that move and even he went over the top a few times. Amy Adams was halfway decent in it but the story telling was atrocious.

SpurzN703
06-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Really the only summer blockbuster that I've see in the past 5 or 6 years that even came close to Pixar's story telling was The Dark Knight. Simply outstanding drama / human study wrapped up in a superhero flick.

My wife and I had a "date night" a couple of weekends ago. I wanted to go see Up but she wanted to go see Night at the Museum 2. Yeah, we saw Night at the Museum. Hank Azaria was the only good thing about that move and even he went over the top a few times. Amy Adams was halfway decent in it but the story telling was atrocious.

Azaria was the only good thing? That can't be good

ih8brady
06-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Anybody see Iron Man? Didn't see it when it came out, but I think it was unfairly shadowed by TDK. Nearly as good, although obviously not as, well, dark. But yes, summer flicks have been increasingly bad, in general, by any standard.

Possum
06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Anybody see Iron Man? Didn't see it when it came out, but I think it was unfairly shadowed by TDK. Nearly as good, although obviously not as, well, dark. But yes, summer flicks have been increasingly bad, in general, by any standard.
i have been impressed with the summer flicks this year. well the past 2 years actually.

ih8brady
06-17-2009, 12:54 AM
i have been impressed with the summer flicks this year. well the past 2 years actually.

Really? The scabs from the writers strike are the ones being churned out now :foundout:

Possum
06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Really? The scabs from the writers strike are the ones being churned out now :foundout:
i will admit that i think dark knight would not have done as good as it did if heath ledger didnt die.

Possum
06-17-2009, 01:00 AM
they got a 5th terminator on the block to be made

ih8brady
06-17-2009, 01:02 AM
i will admit that i think dark knight would not have done as good as it did if heath ledger didnt die.

:err: The film would have been the same to watch, regardless.

Possum
06-17-2009, 01:10 AM
:err: The film would have been the same to watch, regardless.
i just thought it got bigger because of his death. but no doubts it was a good movie. they got the 3rd annouced to. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

The_Dark_Knight
06-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Really? I think that's just a stretch to create continuity. I say, just make it as a remake.
The point I was making Brady was that how they wrote the story, the writers didn't have to worry about continuity and Trekkers screaming and yelling, "That's not right...that's not the original storyline".

If they "screwed something up", ok..."alternate future" due to the paradox. That's what was so clever about the writing of this storyline.

The_Dark_Knight
06-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't know...The Dark Knight was a good movie, with or without Heath Ledger's death. The only complaint I had was Christian Bale's "growling" as Batman.

I wish Heath Ledger hadn't of died. After seeing The Dark Knight, I wanted to tell him I forgave him for Brokeback Mountain

SpurzN703
06-17-2009, 09:53 AM

I think the movie would've been a good one either way. The darkness of the movie was great. I do like Maggie Gylenhaal but not in that role. As a matter of fact, I don't really like Rachel Dawes character anyway so it might've been irrelevant who played her.

Tetragrammaton
06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I wish Heath Ledger hadn't of died. After seeing The Dark Knight, I wanted to tell him I forgave him for Brokeback Mountain

What is there to forgive? Brokeback Mountain was his best film.

The_Dark_Knight
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
What is there to forgive? Brokeback Mountain was his best film.
:lol2:
If it was such a great performance, then he would have won the Oscar for best actor for Brokeback and not for The Dark Knight. I mean, think about it, when you can take a comic book character and portray that character with such a tenacity that it blows the critics away...THAT is an award winning performance.

And before you go into the "posthumous" and "sentimental" awarding of the Oscar...critics were RAVING about his performance WELL BEFORE he died. :wink:

Tetragrammaton
06-17-2009, 01:46 PM
If it was such a great performance, then he would have won the Oscar for best actor for Brokeback and not for The Dark Knight. I mean, think about it, when you can take a comic book character and portray that character with such a tenacity that it blows the critics away...THAT is an award winning performance.

And before you go into the "posthumous" and "sentimental" awarding of the Oscar...critics were RAVING about his performance WELL BEFORE he died. :wink:

You haven't seen it, have you?

ih8brady
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
So an actor can only perform well if he/she wins an Oscar? So, does that mean there's only one quality performance per year? Or look at Al Pacino. He won an Oscar for Scent of a Woman, but who would honestly say that's his best film? Heck, it is not even his best performance of 1992.

Tetragrammaton
06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
So an actor can only perform well if he/she wins an Oscar? So, does that mean there's only one quality performance per year? Or look at Al Pacino. He won an Oscar for Scent of a Woman, but who would honestly say that's his best film? Heck, it is not even his best performance of 1992.

There are so many other factors. Ledger was barely the lead in the movie, and went up against Hoffman in Capote, who was that whole movie. Then he is a supporting actor who took over a movie, going against a mediocre slate of opponents. Then there is the fact that the Academy shunned Brokeback, but that is another days story.

LouPhinFan
06-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Robert Downey Jr. made that movie. If it were anyone else in the role of Tony Stark I seriously doubt the movie would have worked. It would have ended up on the Daredevil and Electra side of the Marvel movies.

Can't wait for the Captain America flick, followed by the Avengers flick. They're currently casting for the Thor movie, which I'm not sure about. Its going to be hard to make that movie and not make it campy as all get out.

d-day
06-17-2009, 10:40 PM
lappy and spray mucus are waiting for the amiguously gay duo flick

GoonBoss
06-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Scent of a Woman was ****ing awful. It was painful to sit through. Pachino did "Blind" well, but...Damn. It sucked.

ih8brady
06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Scent of a Woman was ****ing awful. It was painful to sit through. Pachino did "Blind" well, but...Damn. It sucked.

Can a movie feature Chris O'Donnell and be good?

Tetragrammaton
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Quoted for truth.

The Academy can be ridiculous. They gave Winslet her award this year for overacting in The Reader, even though Hathaway and Leo were much better. You cannot win them all, I suppose.

The_Dark_Knight
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
There are so many other factors. Ledger was barely the lead in the movie, and went up against Hoffman in Capote, who was that whole movie. Then he is a supporting actor who took over a movie, going against a mediocre slate of opponents. Then there is the fact that the Academy shunned Brokeback, but that is another days story.
And just how was Brokeback shunned by the Academy? It was nominated for 8 awards for crying outloud!!!

And to answer your earlier question, no I didn't see Brokeback Mountain...but then again, I never saw Out of Africa either and I think Meryl Streep is probaby one of the finest actresses in Hollywood history.

I just didn't care to see it.

Possum
06-18-2009, 02:04 AM

he got so deep into the character that he had to take the medications just to get sleep. tru hollywood acting, which unfortunalty lead to his death.

The_Dark_Knight
06-18-2009, 02:07 AM
he got so deep into the character that he had to take the medications just to get sleep. tru hollywood acting, which unfortunalty lead to his death.
Yea I know and I've said it before that it was a crying shame that he had to succumb to sleep meds. It was an incredible performance though.

Possum
06-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Yea I know and I've said it before that it was a crying shame that he had to succumb to sleep meds. It was an incredible performance though.
its sad but i hope that will be the end of the character. It will make the series stupid if they bring the joker back.

1 dol fan
06-18-2009, 02:29 AM
its sad but i hope that will be the end of the character. It will make the series stupid if they bring the joker back.
agreed

ih8brady
06-18-2009, 02:34 AM
So his performance was worthy of forgiveness based on not even seeing it? That's like judging a football team's performance without seeing the game or the scoreboard.

The_Dark_Knight
06-18-2009, 02:40 AM
So his performance was worthy of forgiveness based on not even seeing it? That's like judging a football team's performance without seeing the game or the scoreboard.
Christ Almighty Brady this is The Lounge, not the PoFo. Chill out dude!

And in case you couldn't tell, there was supposed to be a slight detectable sense of humor there. :crazy:

ih8brady
06-18-2009, 02:41 AM
What did I say political? It is silly to give the thumbs down without even seeing the film.

The_Dark_Knight
06-18-2009, 02:56 AM
What did I say political? It is silly to give the thumbs down without even seeing the film.
I didn't say you said anything political. I said this was the Lounge and not the PoFo. I would tend to think the tone of discussion HERE would be less confrontational than it is in the PoFo.

I also said too that I didn't see Out of Africa either, remember? And if I remember right, that movie won the Oscar for best picture. Whoopdie Do!!!!

These touchy touchy, lovie dovie feel good stories...they're really not my thing, so you'll forgive me if I don't sing praises about a love story Heath Ledger did over my namesake.

It's just not my thing dude!

ih8brady
06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
I didn't say you said anything political. I said this was the Lounge and not the PoFo. I would tend to think the tone of discussion HERE would be less confrontational than it is in the PoFo.

I also said too that I didn't see Out of Africa either, remember? And if I remember right, that movie won the Oscar for best picture. Whoopdie Do!!!!

These touchy touchy, lovie dovie feel good stories...they're really not my thing, so you'll forgive me if I don't sing praises about a love story Heath Ledger did over my namesake.

It's just not my thing dude!

I guess you forgot the war of 2008 between RDS and R-opie here.

It's one thing to have never seen BBM, I didn't see it until some time last year BUT to imply that it deserves an apology, like The Firm or Gigli, well then you are putting down a movie you haven't seen. If you aren't into a certain genre or whatever, fine, or if you just aren't planning on seeing a movie but it is blind to comment on his acting if you didn't see it.

ih8brady
06-18-2009, 03:35 AM
And as I said months ago in the movie sub-forum, the Oscars is an award show and they can't always get it right. It is not a sure-fire litmus test to quality.

Tetragrammaton
06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
And just how was Brokeback shunned by the Academy? It was nominated for 8 awards for crying outloud!!!

And to answer your earlier question, no I didn't see Brokeback Mountain...but then again, I never saw Out of Africa either and I think Meryl Streep is probaby one of the finest actresses in Hollywood history.

I just didn't care to see it.

It was nominated, yes, but it didn't win. In fact, it lost to the awful, dreadful Crash. The Academy bowed to the controversy. How can a film have the Best Director, three nominated actors, and the best screenplay and not be Best Picture?

I understand it not being your genre, but you have to see it. I made an exception for The Dark Knight, because I don't really like blockbusters, and I was glad that I did. Good art is good art.

Tetragrammaton
06-18-2009, 09:19 AM
And as I said months ago in the movie sub-forum, the Oscars is an award show and they can't always get it right. It is not a sure-fire litmus test to quality.

The Academy had a really bad history of overlooking classics. Citizen Kane loses to a film no one has ever heard of, Goodfellas and Raging Bull were shunned.

SpurzN703
06-18-2009, 10:13 AM

Replace him with RDS and you have box office GOLD

The_Dark_Knight
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
It was nominated, yes, but it didn't win. In fact, it lost to the awful, dreadful Crash. The Academy bowed to the controversy. How can a film have the Best Director, three nominated actors, and the best screenplay and not be Best Picture?

I understand it not being your genre, but you have to see it. I made an exception for The Dark Knight, because I don't really like blockbusters, and I was glad that I did. Good art is good art.
So you're saying because it didn't win every award it was nominated for, then it was shunned by the Academy? Come on Wayward, it won like 5 of the 8 awards it was nominated for.

Brokeback Mountain wasn't the only movie made that year, you know?