PDA

View Full Version : anyone like christian hip-hop?

kevinator815
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Canton Jones, Viktory, Shonlock, Big Ran are all putting out a compilation album this summer called “ Hit Hip-Hop Remixed” and I hear it’s going to be pretty cool…. Has anyone heard of this ? who likes Christian Hip-Hop ?

Gonzo
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
not so much christian hip-hop, but I listen some Christian hardcore, especially No Innocent Victim and Zao.

Cassiopeia
06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
there are a lot of really great christian bands. if you ask locke, he can probably give you a laundry list of them. he isn't much into hip-hop, but he could give you a lot of metal, emo, screamo, punk, alternative christians bands...

aesop
06-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Kill me. Listen to real ****. I hate when people have to define music by a single influence.

emeraldfin
06-22-2009, 07:33 AM
The very taught of it is deeply disturbing.

Gonzo
06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Kill me. Listen to real ****. I hate when people have to define music by a single influence.Like what?

Locke
06-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Kill me. Listen to real ****. I hate when people have to define music by a single influence.

I agree that its stupid to have your music defined by a single thing. However, there are quite a few musicians who consider themselves Christian, but are really good artists. I won't pass over a CD because it is labeled Christians, but I won't listen to it if I find it too preachy...

aesop
06-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Like what?Jay Dilla, Doom, GZA (or anything produced by RZA, really), Madlib, DJ Stoupe, 9th wonder.. etc etc.

If someone defines themselves as Christian as well as a hip hop artist, I have no problem. Most people in this country are Christian or some other similar denomination, so if I limited myself to agnostic or atheist artists I'd probably be left with Slipknot.. which is suicide-worthy. If it's labeled "christian hip-hip", I'm going to assume almost all the songs are about praise. I consider this incredibly one-dimensional and boring. I like listening to stories that haven't been told before, not some guy essentially preaching with beats underneath.

Gonzo
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Jay Dilla, Doom, GZA (or anything produced by RZA, really), Madlib, DJ Stoupe, 9th wonder.. etc etc.

If someone defines themselves as Christian as well as a hip hop artist, I have no problem. Most people in this country are Christian or some other similar denomination, so if I limited myself to agnostic or atheist artists I'd probably be left with Slipknot.. which is suicide-worthy. If it's labeled "christian hip-hip", I'm going to assume almost all the songs are about praise. I consider this incredibly one-dimensional and boring. I like listening to stories that haven't been told before, not some guy essentially preaching with beats underneath.But there are many artist that associate themselves with more than just their music and to the same degree, such as Dead Prez, groups that are just as preachy as any christian band. Doesn't make them any less of an artist. It's even more prevalent in hardcore. Hell, Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands, and they are about as preachy as any christian band I've heard.

I'm about as christian as I am vegan, but if the music is good, I'll listen. Hell, I listen to some straight edge and I despise that scene. In hardcore, it's damn near impossible to be a fan and not run into "preachiness" in one form or another. Hip hop isn't nearly as bad, but it's definitely there.

Christian punk is the only thing I really don't understand. Punk, at it's core, is anti-authority of any kind. It's preachy, but usually in an anti-authority way (i.e. Bad Religion). Doesn't seem to make sense.

Forgiven
11-15-2009, 10:31 PM
As far as good and talented artists, check out Lecrae, Flame, Trip Lee, 116 Clique.

I completely understand where you're coming from. However, because it is labeled as Christian, it will be easier for those who are looking for clean and God-centered music to listen to instead of a good artist that sings about something that they don't want to hear, to identify.

Penny4president
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
cHristian Hip hop IS LAME... the only artist that i can even name of the Top of my head are lacare and Toby Mac

j-off-her-doll
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
My good friend (Nomis) is a Christian MC from the San Diego area. I can't really relate to what he's doing, but he puts a lot of effort into his music. He's not one of those kids that tries to capitalize on the Christian Music market. If you like that stuff, he's definitely worth checking out.

GoonBoss
11-26-2009, 07:55 PM

No ****. I absolutely won't listen to that drek. "Christian Rock". Really?

What I do like is the music motivating the young to question the stupid *** twisted morality of grass roots Christianity.