PDA

View Full Version : 'We Need Fathers To Step Up'

BAMAPHIN 22
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
As an adult, working as a community organizer and later as a legislator, I would often walk through the streets of Chicagoís South Side and see boys marked by that same absenceóboys without supervision or direction or anyone to help them as they struggled to grow into men. I identified with their frustration and disengagementówith their sense of having been let down.

In many ways, I came to understand the importance of fatherhood through its absenceóboth in my life and in the lives of others. I came to understand that the hole a man leaves when he abandons his responsibility to his children is one that no government can fill. We can do everything possible to provide good jobs and good schools and safe streets for our kids, but it will never be enough to fully make up the difference.

That is why we need fathers to step up, to realize that their job does not end at conception; that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child but the courage to raise one.

http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/news/2009/06/barack-obama-we-need-fathers-to-step-up.html

SpurzN703
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Only a coward would knock a girl up only to leave her to raise the kid. When I become a father, it will be the greatest accomplishment of my life and I look forward to it.

GoonBoss
06-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Garsh Shaggy. Good thing this hasn't been said, over, and, over, and, over, and, over and over, and, over and over and, over again.

I guess I'll just leave it at that. Think about the culture you glorify before you glorify it. Does the culture you place value in value the family, or not? If not, then, go live your life...But try not to screw up society while you do it.

FinFrenzy
06-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Only a coward would knock a girl up only to leave her to raise the kid. When I become a father, it will be the greatest accomplishment of my life and I look forward to it.

It is amazing....now I know what true and unconditional love is. Both my boys make me smile everytime they smile.