PDA

View Full Version : Question about fitness/weight lifting

WeVie
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a couple of questions about working out. I have been on a diet or I should say simply eating a lot better and running on a treadmill for a few months. I have went from 225 to 197.

I also have started lifting weights. I used to lift so I am not totally dumb to it but do have a few questions.

My first question is each time I work a muscle, do I need to do enough reps and weight to where that muscle is sore the next day or two. I am only going to work each muscle once a week for now and may go to every four days later on if I can find the time.

The next question is about muscle groups and over training. If I work biceps one day and chest the next day, would I over train the biceps? Should I skip a day and then do it?

I think I want to do biceps and triceps in the same day. Should I include something else? I have an hour or so for the workout.

What would be something good to work with the pecs?

How often can you work abs? I have moved a lot of the fat away and can almost see them now. My case is down to a 12 pack and I have start on those. :chuckle:

muddpuppy13
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
well to answer your first question you should do 3 to 4 ecercises and 3 to 4 working sets per exercise per workout this does not include warm up sets which is very important. since your just starting out again you will be sore i've worked out for years and still get sore. so its going to happen so just imbrace it.

Q2. when ever you work a muscle group give it at least 48 hours before useing it again say chest on monday don't do triceps or shoulders untill thursday. when using opposing muscle groups such as biceps and chest it won't overtrain them but will strengthin them because they are used to stabilize the other.

Q3.

muddpuppy13
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Q3. biceps and triceps in one workout is a good decision you don't need to add any thing else you can do a split like this legs and shoulders on monday, back on tuesday, wed. off, thursday chest and friday arms. yes i know i said give a muscle at least 48 hours rest but training tris after chest is ok because you take to weekend off so they get ample rest.

Q4. well i depends on what you want to do, size, strength, definition. but a good place to start is flat bench press, incline dumbbell press, dips and flys. you can change bar for dumbbell or vice versa and reps and sets all based on what you want. start slow work up in your weight but basically if you can do more then 12 reps the weight is to lite and if fail before 6 then it's to heavy so just try to push your self and stay between 6 to 12 reps.

Q5. you can work abs every day but you should just try to really flex your abs and tightin your core when doing every exercise this should be a good base. then add in hanging leg raises, decline situps, then finish with crunches. do your reps nice and slow and really feel the burn reps should be 15 to 20 and you should really be hurting at 20 because your going so slow.

i hope this helps just stay focused and let the results keep you motivated. good luck

WeVie
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I am expecting to be sore. What I mean by that question is should I try to attain the soreness each time I work out? If I don't get sore each time, am I doing enough for maximum results?

I don't really want to work legs right now cause I don't want to be sore and not be able to run. I still have about 17lbs I want to lose. Could I do shoulders and back together? Chest be itself? and then arms? If I want to do forearms, when should I throw that in?

It has been a long time since I lifted. The weights I have are 170lbs. I didn't know what I could bench so I put it all on to see if I could lift it. I did one rep but I think I could have did at least three with that weight. What I want to do with my chest is flatten it first off and then work on everything else you mentioned. I have little man boobs.

Would a picture help you to know what I should do?

WeVie
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the help by the way!

WeVie
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Another question. You said to wait 48 hours between arms and chest. If my arms are still sore from the arm workout, should I wait longer to work chest?

SpurzN703
07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
You'll be sore if you're just starting to lift again (or for the first time). But the soreness only lasts a few weeks, at least for me. Once your body gets used to the regiment of lifting weights, the soreness goes away.

As far as if you should lift even while sore, it depends on how sore you are. Sometimes I've lifted to where it was hard to move a few days later. In that case, clearly lifting wasn't on my mind. If it's minor though, sometimes lifting helps the soreness to go away.

Lastly, lift every other day. You do this b/c it gives your muscles (which tear everytime you lift, which is what's supposed to happen) a chance to build back up.

Either lift Mon Wed Fri or Tues Thurs and Sat (what I go for, at least)

WeVie
07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I have been doing more reading and some think that doing a full body workout three days a week would be better than work each body part once a week. This is for beginningers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SpurzN703
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been doing more reading and some think that doing a full body workout three days a week would be better than work each body part once a week. This is for beginningers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

That's what I do. I'm only in it to tone up but I do a few sets of different exercises for chest, arms, back and shoulders. Usually 3 times a week

WeVie
07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a little bigger but for the most part I wanted to get really defined and kinda ripped.

Gotta long way to go for that though.

SpurzN703
07-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't mind getting a little bigger but for the most part I wanted to get really defined and kinda ripped.

Gotta long way to go for that though.

Ripped for what purpose? You're already a daddy, you have it made :up:

WeVie
07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Ripped for what purpose? You're already a daddy, you have it made :up:

Cause I wanna look good. For me. I tired of being fat. When I do something, I like to go all out. :lol:

SpurzN703
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Cause I wanna look good. For me. I tired of being fat. When I do something, I like to go all out. :lol:

I understand but it's easier to get toned than it is to get ripped. Going from fat to ripped might take 200 years :chuckle:

WeVie
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I understand but it's easier to get toned than it is to get ripped. Going from fat to ripped might take 200 years :chuckle:

It may not take that long, I hope. The only place I was really fat was my big fat tummy and in my face some. I have lost 30 pounds so far and the pudgeyness (is that a word :lol:)in my face is gone and have dropped almost 2 pant sizes. My arms and legs were kinda toned to start with.

It will take a while but I hope in six months to a year, I will see some results anyway.

SpurzN703
07-10-2009, 05:02 PM
It may not take that long, I hope. The only place I was really fat was my big fat tummy and in my face some. I have lost 30 pounds so far and the pudgeyness (is that a word :lol:)in my face is gone and have dropped almost 2 pant sizes. My arms and legs were kinda toned to start with.

It will take a while but I hope in six months to a year, I will see some results anyway.

So what is it you're doing to lose this weight so far besides lifting?

WeVie
07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
So what is it you're doing to lose this weight so far besides lifting?

I run to lose the weight.

I just started lifting weights. I had a 25 dumb bell that I was doing curls with before I got my weights and bench a few weeks ago. I was also doing push ups. They got pretty easy so I started letting my little girl sit on my back. She weighs around 33lbs I think.

I have been running on a treadmill for about four months. I run between four and a half and six and a half miles four or five days a week.

When I first started running it took me about 13 minutes to run a mile. Now I can run two in fifteen minutes. I can get five in 44 minutes.

SpurzN703
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I run to lose the weight.

I just started lifting weights. I had a 25 dumb bell that I was doing curls with before I got my weights and bench a few weeks ago. I was also doing push ups. They got pretty easy so I started letting my little girl sit on my back. She weighs around 33lbs I think.

I have been running on a treadmill for about four months. I run between four and a half and six and a half miles four or five days a week.

When I first started running it took me about 13 minutes to run a mile. Now I can run two in fifteen minutes. I can get five in 44 minutes.

That's good man. It certainly feels good once exercising is done for that certain day b/c it feels like you accomplished something.

:up:

#1 Fan
07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
i'd do low weight / high rep stuff since you're also trying to lose weight.

you'll probably stop getting sore after the first month or so, especially if you drink a protein shake. i'd do 10-15 reps of each set and just go with that.

you could workout with soreness, but i'd wait as long as i could, so you don't risk overtraining.

also, i'd look into getting some l-arginine powder to drink before your workout. (you breathe better and hold the pump better).

SpurzN703
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM

you'll probably stop getting sore after the first month or so, especially if you drink a protein shake. i'd do 10-15 reps of each set and just go with that.

you could workout with soreness, but i'd wait as long as i could, so you don't risk overtraining.

also, i'd look into getting some l-arginine powder to drink before your workout. (you breathe better and hold the pump better).

Yeah I myself only care about toning. To do that, it's like 3 sets of 12 reps of an exercise. I enjoy it b/c I don't have to overdo it.

WeVie
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM

what is l-arginine? Do you mix it with water or something? What does it do?

WeVie
07-14-2009, 05:23 PM
like I said I wanna get toned and maybe a little ripped. I would'nt mind getting a little bigger.

so far i have been working with weight that i can do 10 to 15 times. i have not did anything low rep yet like four six or eight.