PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Tuesday Morning Quarterback?

GoPhins!
10-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know what happened to "Tuesday Morning Quarterback"? There is a statement on ESPN page 2 that says that it is no longer available on espn.com.

http://msn.espn.go.com/page2/index.html

Does anyone know if it is available anywhere else? If not, I'm going to miss it. :cry: :cry:

Disgustipate
10-21-2003, 01:03 PM
He unfortunately was fired for some comments he made in an article on another site. He included a blurb about Kill Bill, and said that a movie review company whose owners claim to be of a particular religion should have their views follow into the films they produce. He went on to say that Micheal Eisner, and several top Disney executives were Jewish, and they shouldnt let violenct things like that through. He said it should be true for Christians, and especially true for Jews, considering the history of violence towards them.

Somehow, that was consider offensive. Rush Limbaugh, who outside of ESPN already had a history of much more questionable statements made one live on the air, and only "resigned" after massive amount of public pressure. Not only that, but they have that Playmakers crap on there constantly.

Good job firing your best writer, ESPN.

zach13
10-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Easterbrook got fired for making allegedly defamatory comments in another publication.

Here is what he said:

"Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice. But history is hardly the only concern. Films made in Hollywood are now shown all over the world, to audiences that may not understand the dialogue or even look at the subtitles, but can't possibly miss the message--now Disney's message--that hearing the screams of the innocent is a really fun way to express yourself."

Decide for yourself.

GoPhins!
10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info and sorry for posting in the wrong form.

DrAstroZoom
10-21-2003, 02:32 PM
I love the way they scrubbed the archive to remove all his articles. They finally placed a small message on the Page 2 index that TMQ was no longer. No explanation though.

This is reprehensible. Easterbrook (TMQ) penned an eloquent apology (far more conciliatory than Rush's attempt, incidentally) in a follow-up blog entry, apparently to no avail.

Methinks this is less about being offensive to the Jewish community and more about offending your boss, who in this case, happened to be Michael Eisner.

Still, political correctness continues to run amok. And it is scarning more and more each day.

DrAstroZoom
10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
By the way, I'd apply to take his job if I didn't hate ESPN so much right now.

DrAstroZoom
10-21-2003, 02:35 PM
By the way one more time (oops), perhaps this thread should live in The Lounge rather than Complaints, Questions and Suggestions (it's not about finheaven.com).

Bad Lieutenant
10-21-2003, 03:06 PM
What a joke! That guy was the only good thing on ESPN. Does he have his own site or something, where he would maybe continue to write about football?

Muck
10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
TMQ was excellent. I remember reading about dark matter and all the new discoveries about space and the universe there. Captivating stuff. Heavy stuff. That guy can write about anything. He's excellent.
Definitely the best in a stable of excellent writers (at Page 2).

I think it sucks that he was fired for what he said in ANOTHER publication. But then again, his boss was ultimately Eisner. So it doesn't come as a suprise. Still, the message was a very good one. And he was fired not because of what he said, but because of who it was aimed at. Took big brass ones for him to say what he did. Or maybe it didn't. Sometimes speaking from the heart is the easiest thing to do. And ironically it's not done nearly enough.

Sucks what happened to him, but I think Easterbrook will land on his feet.

10-21-2003, 05:51 PM
I am very disappointed about this. I hope the guy finds another place to write. If anybody hears where he ends up, please post it.

genx23
10-22-2003, 01:33 PM
He still writes for The New Republic (tnr.com), but not about football unfortunately. Any other organization (how about SI? Then they could have both the Monday and Tuesday morning quarterbacks) would do well to sign him up ASAP as he definitely had a large, loyal following.

IMHO, this was an extremely quick knee-jerk reaction from an organization that's already been stung once this year. They were so concerned about avoiding another controversy, they just dumped him without a second thought. Branding him an anti-semite based on one clumsily worded paragraph and discounting his previous 20+ years of well respected journalism is foolish. At least now I know I have no reason to visit ESPN anymore.

Muck
10-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Every article I've seen on this topic says that Easterbrook made "anti-Semitic" remarks. But they do not show us what zachseau13 showed us.

IMO, those remarks ARE NOT anti-semitic. I don't believe that was the intent. I think that he was simply calling out the big shots and telling them to look to their religion on this matter and "see the light".

genx23
10-22-2003, 02:29 PM
I agree that there wasn't any anti-semitic intent to his comments, but when people see that he's associating Eisner's faith with his desire to make money, it sets off alarm bells in their heads, regardless of the fact that he points out that their are Christian executives who do the exact same thing...

BTW, if you want to read his apology, here's the link:
http://www.tnr.com/easterbrook.mhtml?pid=868

genx23
11-04-2003, 12:20 PM
An update, TMQ is going to be back next Tuesday, November 11, although its not clear where. Here's his announcement:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/tmq110403.php?view=message&mid=71&showcomment=1&vmid=71

DrAstroZoom
11-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the update! Great news!