PDA

View Full Version : Family Dog Drags Baby From Crib

BAMAPHIN 22
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
A Kentucky couple, excited about bringing home a new baby boy, are still reeling from their premature newborn's life-threatening injuries (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/DyeHard/story?id=7162422&page=1) suffered after the family's beloved dog (http://abcnews.go.com/US/AmazingAnimals/story?id=7587664&page=1) dragged him from his crib.

Baby AJ is now at the hospital in critical condition. Born three weeks early, he suffered a cracked skull, broken ribs and two punctured lungs when Dakota took him from his crib.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8145058&page=1

SpurzN703
07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear about it but you can't euthanize the animal for it. It doesn't appear to have been a malicious act.

Bumpus
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
They ought to euthanize the parents for leaving an infant unattended with the dog.

The_Dark_Knight
07-23-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't know guys. I;ve seen some family dogs that are great around infants and others....ewwwwww.

I have two particular nephews, one has a German Shepherd (Poncho) and a Golden Retriever (Trooper) and the other nephew has *gulp* a Pit Bull (Dallas).

Now Poncho and Trooper, my God, as large of dogs as they are, they were (and continue to be) the gentlist dogs you could ever want around their baby.

Now Dallas on the otherhand....sheesh....we were over at that nephews house last weekend for a pool party and Dallas almost bit the other nephew's baby boy...pissed me off. And what sucks worse, teh second nephew...the one with the pit...they're expecting a baby in a few months. Scares me to death.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you really really have to know whether your dog could possibly be a threat to a baby in the house. And I would say just to be safe, you don't let the dog anywhere around the baby period....keep the baby's door closed, don't leave the baby unattended in his playpen with the dog running loose.

Too many bad things could go wrong fast.

SpurzN703
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know guys. I;ve seen some family dogs that are great around infants and others....ewwwwww.

I have two particular nephews, one has a German Shepherd (Poncho) and a Golden Retriever (Trooper) and the other nephew has *gulp* a Pit Bull (Dallas).

Now Poncho and Trooper, my God, as large of dogs as they are, they were (and continue to be) the gentlist dogs you could ever want around their baby.

Now Dallas on the otherhand....sheesh....we were over at that nephews house last weekend for a pool party and Dallas almost bit the other nephew's baby boy...pissed me off. And what sucks worse, teh second nephew...the one with the pit...they're expecting a baby in a few months. Scares me to death.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you really really have to know whether your dog could possibly be a threat to a baby in the house. And I would say just to be safe, you don't let the dog anywhere around the baby period....keep the baby's door closed, don't leave the baby unattended in his playpen with the dog running loose.

Exactly. Dogs are dogs, what do they know about babies? I see no problem in giving the dog up for adoption now but euthanizing it is ridiculous.

GoonBoss
07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah....It's the dog's fault he reacted in an unpredicatable way in a brand new situation or circumstance.

Ricky4Life
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM

Every situation is different. I have two daughters one is now 3 years old and the other is almost 3 months. I have a male Alaskan Malmute and a femail Pit Bull. When we originally brought my oldest daughter home from the hospital I thought my male dog would have been by her side more then my Pit. In reality my Pit Bull loves my daughter ever since she was brought home. They sleep together, now that my daughters older and I trust her 100 percent. Its all about how the dog is raised and how you bring new things into their lives. It all has to do with training. I hate when people class certain dogs into as far as aggression, yes I will say that some dog breeds are known more to be more aggressive then others. Such as you all ways see the Pit Bull is usually in the news as the one causing the problems (but they are also one of the most popular and most bred dogs in the U.S.) But like most have already said here in is not the dogs fault for what happened, it was a new situation that I am sure the owners probably did not really prepare for as there is a lot to go into bringing a new baby home.

Possum
07-24-2009, 03:36 AM
last week my manager's baby got pinned down to the ground by there 1 year old lab but they gave the dog away for adoption. which was the right move.

FinFrenzy
07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I actually have 3 dogs (Husky-I know in florida :lol:, Pit-Rott mix, and a mix no one knows what he is) and 2 sons (5yrs old and 14mos old).

My first question would be how the dog can actually get into the crib. My dogs have been great to my kids, for their sake one bad growl and they would go instantly! In fact the pit-rott is overly protective of them, a few months ago we were all outside Colton my youngest son just started to walk and we were outside. Reno (Named after Marino, Not the city, the pitt-rott was outside with us) My neighbor came around the corner suddenly without warning any of us and tried to pat Colton on the head. Bad idea! Reno jumped up and put himself between Colton and the neighbor and salivating growled and took the defensive stance.

Ofcourse I ran over so nothing would transpire although the dog kept snarling until we were all inside, I don't know if he sensed something or not, I was happy the dog did his job. My neighbor, in my opinion was a moron he saw the dog sitting there. I wouldn't quickly approach anyone, or anyone's kids quickly especially when you see a 100lb dog sitting there.

I know completly off topic...