PDA

View Full Version : A scientist who's a Christian asks, 'Are we crazy?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Can Christians can be card-carrying, evolution-believing, "Old Earth" scientists, too?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/religion/post/2009/08/68496513/1?loc=interstitialskip

emeraldfin
08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
My question would be are these scientist actually Christian? They may believe they are but, there beliefs would suggest not.

aesop
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Seems like the kind of person who was brought up in a religious household but no longer believes in all the teachings of the church, yet still continues to call themselves Christian. I've met lots of people that no longer believe in the religion they grew up with. They think it's something like your nation of origin or something so they continue to call themselves as such.

Dolphan7
08-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Are they crazy? Probably not. But they are seriously misguided in their Theology.

HansMojo
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
My question would be are these scientist actually Christian? They may believe they are but, there beliefs would suggest not.
It's an interesting discussion. On the one hand, the belief that the Earth itself along with the rest of the Universe was created Billions of years ago is a belief that remains in harmony with a literal Biblical interpretation (IMHO). After all, the Hebrew of Genesis 1 actually implies that there might have been something already here when God created life on the Earth (at the time it says that the Earth was "without form and void" when we first find Him "hovering over the waters"). I don't personally feel I have to take a stance on the whole Old Earth / Young Earth debate since God kind of left it so...well so debatable. An Old Earth point of view does not really create a problem for Biblical literalists although most people believe it does because this is what they've heard. The primary reason most Christians take a Young Earth stance is because of the theology developed around the Biblical geneologies, but these don't even create a problem for Old Earth Creationists because not only do the geneologies have time gaps in them, but the Earth could have been void for a long long long long time before Christ created life on it.

However, to believe that God created a system of Evolution that does not involve Him speaking life into existence (instantly formed and living trees and lions and tigers and bears...oh my) as well as forming man by hand from the elements of the earth is a belief that is outside of Biblical teaching and is actually in direct opposition to it...IMHO.