PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Vince Young?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Amid rumors that Patrick Ramsey might leapfrog the man who still might end up being the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner on the Tennessee Titans depth chart, quarterback Vince Young's career seems to be rapidly disintegrating.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/10/whats-next-for-vince-young/

SpaceMountain16
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
He has the RAW talent, but i don't know if he has the mental ability to get it done as an NFL starter. He might need a change of scenery.

ArmyFin7
08-11-2009, 03:09 PM
He is another guy who got by on athleticism, not football skills!

Thats won't carry him at this level.

greasyObnoxious
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
after scoring 6 points on the wonderlic, Vince Young handed the paper to his kicker for the extra point.

that should have made us all alert lol

FinFrenzy
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
How many points did he get on the wonderlic for spelling his name right?

dlockz
08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
He is another guy who got by on athleticism, not football skills!

Thats won't carry him at this level.

You say he is another guy, well who else are u referring to in that category.

dlockz
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
How many points did he get on the wonderlic for spelling his name right?

Well Marino was no genius on the wonderlic either.
Football smarts do not always relate to book smarts.

GoonBoss
08-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Well Marino was no genius on the wonderlic either.
Football smarts do not always relate to book smarts.

Marino scored at least in the double digits, though, right?

dlockz
08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Marino scored at least in the double digits, though, right?

well 11 is a double digit lol. There are alot of high wonderlic guys that do not strike me as smart players. Just saying Marino was no genius but he was a genius with a football. Rewatch the championship game versus USC and tell me Young has a bad football IQ,

gofins
08-11-2009, 11:45 PM
I think Marino got a 16

Gonzo
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
well 11 is a double digit lol. There are alot of high wonderlic guys that do not strike me as smart players. Just saying Marino was no genius but he was a genius with a football. Rewatch the championship game versus USC and tell me Young has a bad football IQ,I guess he has decent college "football IQ," where you can get away with that one and run crap. In the NFL he can't beat out Kerry Collins or apparently Patrick Ramsey. :lol:

dlockz
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I guess he has decent college "football IQ," where you can get away with that one and run crap. In the NFL he can't beat out Kerry Collins or apparently Patrick Ramsey. :lol:

Maybe. He did well as a rookie and I dont see our second round pick as close to the prospect he was.

Gonzo
08-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Maybe. He did well as a rookie and I dont see our second round pick as close to the prospect he was.Well, that's where I disagree with you. I never bought into the hype of VY. I also wasn't happy with picking up Pat White in the second. But I'm not sure what that has to do with this. I will say this though, Pat White hasn't failed in the NFL yet. Young has.

dlockz
08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, that's where I disagree with you. I never bought into the hype of VY. I also wasn't happy with picking up Pat White in the second. But I'm not sure what that has to do with this. I will say this though, Pat White hasn't failed in the NFL yet. Young has.

Well I dont think either has failed. Young did excel early in some eyes since he was rookie of the year. Personally I think they should have helped him more at receiver but I agree he has not developed as planned.

Gonzo
08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Well I dont think either has failed. Young did excel early in some eyes since he was rookie of the year. Personally I think they should have helped him more at receiver but I agree he has not developed as planned.Only on this site will people bemoan that a QB that was drafted 3rd overall only to have a 22-32 td/int ratio, 68.8 rating, and 24 fumbles (only 6 lost...how promising), and is about to be replaced at 2nd string by yet another journeyman isn't a failure.

JCane
08-12-2009, 12:53 AM
What's next for Vince Young?

This

Coach - Varsity Football

Philadelphia

Mariana Bracetti Academy Charter School is in need of a head varsity football coach for the 2009-2010 school years. To apply, please contact Mr. John Westfield, Athletic Director, at 267-698-1531 or send your resume with experiences to jwestfield@mbacs.org (jwestfield@mbacs.org)

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/pixel-1.gif

dlockz
08-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Only on this site will people bemoan that a QB that was drafted 3rd overall only to have a 22-32 td/int ratio, 68.8 rating, and 24 fumbles (only 6 lost...how promising), and is about to be replaced at 2nd string by yet another journeyman isn't a failure.

Well people are using much specualtion and that does not make it a fact. I remember people saying Rivers was losing out to Cleo Lemon and that was never a possibility. People are saying Leinhart is fighting off his third stringer and I feel that is bogus. When either player gets cut then I will call them a failure for that team. Not every qb comes in like Matt Ryan. Bradshaw was horrible in early years.

NYinBostonFin
08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I think he needs another chance in another place before declaring him an official "bust". Things certainly aren't looking good for him though.

dlockz
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I think he needs another chance in another place before declaring him an official "bust". Things certainly aren't looking good for him though.

Well I think his demise is greatly exaggerated and doubt that Ramsey will pass him on depth chart. That being said he needs to show improvement.

Gonzo
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Well people are using much specualtion and that does not make it a fact. I remember people saying Rivers was losing out to Cleo Lemon and that was never a possibility. People are saying Leinhart is fighting off his third stringer and I feel that is bogus. When either player gets cut then I will call them a failure for that team. Not every qb comes in like Matt Ryan. Bradshaw was horrible in early years.
Then obviously you don't feel Jason Allen is a failure, right? He's still on the team. You must be speculating that Cam was a failure with a 1-15 record, when JJ started with a 1-15 record w/ the Cowboys. Or are such views reserved for non-Dolphins only?

Those stats I posted are not speculation. They're his numbers, and they suck. He was replaced by an old Kerry Collins. Fact. Patrick Ramsey has posted MUCH better numbers in this league. Fact. It wouldn't be strange at all to see him replace Vince Young. I speculate it would be a done deal by now if the team hadn't invested so much in their 3rd overall pick.

dlockz
08-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Then obviously you don't feel Jason Allen is a failure, right? He's still on the team. You must be speculating that Cam was a failure with a 1-15 record, when JJ started with a 1-15 record w/ the Cowboys. Or are such views reserved for non-Dolphins only?

Those stats I posted are not speculation. They're his numbers, and they suck. He was replaced by an old Kerry Collins. Fact. Patrick Ramsey has posted MUCH better numbers in this league. Fact. It wouldn't be strange at all to see him replace Vince Young. I speculate it would be a done deal by now if the team hadn't invested so much in their 3rd overall pick.

Well Johnson took over a team and had a vision that made sense and stuck to it. He never once lost control of the team or lost respect of the players. Cam was on shakey ground from almost day one. He tried a quick fix by trading for a washed up Trent Green and set this team up to fail from the beginning. Cameron was a horrible coach and had no clue about setting up a team or drafting players.

I never said any stats were speculation I said him losing his job was as far as backup. Young was impressive at times as a rookie and won rookie of the year while looking like a good leader on the field. For a rookie he was a solid qb on a team that had no wide receivers worth a damn. As a second year player he was horrible. Last year Young sprained his mcl in game one versus Jacksonville and had a ton of drama going on internally. Collins took over for an injured Young and led them to three straight blowout victories during his three weeks on being out for injury and the coach stuck with Collins for that reason along with Young not seemingly all there with other issues.

Nothing is for sure in life but Ramsey has not shown anything in years and there is nothing to gain by dropping YOung who has shown promise in the league further down the depth chart,

NYinBostonFin
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Well I think his demise is greatly exaggerated and doubt that Ramsey will pass him on depth chart. That being said he needs to show improvement.

I think Kerry Collins leading the team, with no word about Vince Young challenging him for the starting spot by those in charge speaks volumes. Even rumors coming out about Ramsey beating him out for the #2 spot is devastating, if Vince is as fragile mentally as he was last year. IMO they have already given up on Vince in Tennessee, and if he will find success, it won't be there.

dlockz
08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I think Kerry Collins leading the team, with no word about Vince Young challenging him for the starting spot by those in charge speaks volumes. Even rumors coming out about Ramsey beating him out for the #2 spot is devastating, if Vince is as fragile mentally as he was last year. IMO they have already given up on Vince in Tennessee, and if he will find success, it won't be there.

Well they are going to start Young versus Jacksonville so I think they are pulling for Young. The early success of Ryan makes people forget how hard it is actually to play qb in the nfl. Most qb's take a few year to develop and Tennessee has not done any qb a favor with thier wr's. I mean really Collins earned the job last year. He should not lose his job until he is outplayed.
This was not a job handed to him . He came in and played after Young got injured and reeled off some blowout wins and led this team to a great season. I dont see why he should lose his job.

Breed
08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/10/whats-next-for-vince-young/

That can't be true, according to him, he's a future Hall of Famer and will be the next black QB to win a Superbowl.

ArmyFin7
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
He's done IMO. His salary balloons to 14mil next season....if he doesn't put it together this yr, I think he's in trouble.

IMO he's a guy that could get by on his athleticism in college, not so much in the NFL. He doesn't seem to have the dedication to learning the QB job to be a star.

Bumpus
08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
"... Would you like fries with that?"

emeraldfin
08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Well they are going to start Young versus Jacksonville so I think they are pulling for Young. The early success of Ryan makes people forget how hard it is actually to play qb in the nfl. Most qb's take a few year to develop and Tennessee has not done any qb a favor with thier wr's. I mean really Collins earned the job last year. He should not lose his job until he is outplayed.
This was not a job handed to him . He came in and played after Young got injured and reeled off some blowout wins and led this team to a great season. I dont see why he should lose his job.

You would think though, that with the Titans having a weak group of receivers last season, that the Wildcat would have been a great fit in Tennessee. Like Vince Young ran the spread in Texas and with his ability to run and throw the ball, surly he would have been perfect for that formation. Especially when he is'nt even the starting QB.

Either the Tians missed the boat on that one or else they felt Vince Young was un-able to implement it.

dlockz
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
You would think though, that with the Titans having a weak group of receivers last season, that the Wildcat would have been a great fit in Tennessee. Like Vince Young ran the spread in Texas and with his ability to run and throw the ball, surly he would have been perfect for that formation. Especially when he is'nt even the starting QB.

Either the Tians missed the boat on that one or else they felt Vince Young was un-able to implement it.

Im sure some coaches are not ga ga over the wildcat. Many coaches and players would not be too happy with taking a starting qb off the field for plays like that.