PDA

View Full Version : What have you seen recently?

Tetragrammaton
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Since that communist Bama ruined my "what are you listening to" thread, I figured I would try it out with movies.

I saw Julie and Julia last night. Surprisingly good, and Streep channels Child very well.

Blackocrates
08-11-2009, 09:01 PM
That movie is about Julia Child? I'm going to have to see it then. I love watching her on PBS. She was one cool chick.

Blackocrates
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I watched a downloaded copy of I Love You Man the other day. It was fine I suppose. Maybe not. Don't care.

I watched another downloaded copy of the new Harry Potter. It was enjoyable.

poornate
08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
The Tracker, SLC Punk, Unforgiven, The Majestic, The Glass Bottomed Boat, 30 Days of Night, Indie Sex, and Shadow of the Vampire are the most recent things I have watched... next are the Machinist and The Lives of Others...

Blackocrates
08-12-2009, 03:42 AM
The Tracker, SLC Punk, Unforgiven, The Majestic, The Glass Bottomed Boat, 30 Days of Night, Indie Sex, and Shadow of the Vampire are the most recent things I have watched... next are the Machinist and The Lives of Others...

Those next two are really good.

poornate
08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I hope so... because the recents above are either rewatches or crap....

Tetragrammaton
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I liked The Lives of Others a lot.

I just watched A Scanner Darkly last night. It may be a bit premature, but I am ready to call it the worst film I have ever seen.

Chris, yes it is the one about Julia Child. Even if the employees give you funny looks for seeing a "chick flick", you should go.

poornate
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Worst film ever... that's bold... I should recommend that you watch a little gem called Castle Freak and see if you change your mind...

PhinzN703
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
The other night I saw 'Death Sentence' with Kevin Bacon. All I can say is I'd love to bang Kelly Preston. Always have and always will.

BobDole
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
saw an interesting one a few days ago called 'a guide to recognizing your saints' with robert downey jr and that kid from transformers. pretty decent.

Blackocrates
08-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I recently watched The Elephant Man and Princess Mononoke. Both were great, especially The Elephant Man.

I'm not a big fan of anime but Princess Mononoke was really good. The one thing that bothered me was Billy Bob Thornton's voice of a character. His voice didn't fit the character at all. The entire time I just heard Billy Bob and not the character.

Tetragrammaton
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
The Oscars almost never get the Best Foreign Film category right. I watched 2005's Tsotsi, and I have never seen something quite as boring in some time.

JT-forpresident
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
saw the curious case of benjamin button the other day... it's ok, but i think it's overrated... a little too romantic for me

just downloaded seven pounds with will smith, i'm anxious to see it... inglorious *******s on friday also !

BobDole
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
james - that picture is fantastic.

why should YOU go to jail for a crime that someone else noticed? courtesy of bob loblaw's law blog.

Tetragrammaton
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
james - that picture is fantastic.

why should YOU go to jail for a crime that someone else noticed? courtesy of bob loblaw's law blog.

Yeah, the guy in the $3,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on.

BobDole
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah, the guy in the $3,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on.

okay, lindsay, are you forgetting that i was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. the world's first analrapist.

i tried to get that business card to be my next sig - but it was too offensive.

Tetragrammaton
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
okay, lindsay, are you forgetting that i was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. the world's first analrapist.

i tried to get that business card to be my next sig - but it was too offensive.

Carl: Woah woah woah, your wife works at a restaurant? Does she get a shift meal or a discount on select menu items?
Tobias: I don't know.
Carl: Well let's find out, man!

BobDole
08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Carl: Woah woah woah, your wife works at a restaurant? Does she get a shift meal or a discount on select menu items?
Tobias: I don't know.
Carl: Well let's find out, man!

george michael: yeah, i invited her. you said you wanted to spend some time with her. you said I was being an ann-hog.
michael: ann-hog's coming? well, go load her up in the stair-car.

Blackocrates
08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
The Boat that Rocked. It was okay, it had a great soundtrack. Philip Seymour Hoffman is in it but it's a small role. Small to me, I wanted him to have a bigger role. The guy that plays Murray off of The Flight of the Conchords is in it. He has the funniest line in the movie, "let's see you f**k your way out of this situation" (in his high pitched panicked voice). :lol:

Locke
08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Doubt - Philip Seymour Hoffman is a priest being accused of molesting one of his alter boys. Great movie.

Beautiful Ohio - Saw it finally. It was OK. Very dark, and has an ending I absolutely did not see coming, which is odd because I'm normally pretty good at predicting endings.

Saved - It was OK. Has Mandy Moore and McCaulay Culkin (sp?). More of a date movie really, but it was entertaining at least

Tetragrammaton
08-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I saw Ghost World last night. I liked it a lot, and more people should see it. Steve Buscemi is sublime.

Also, to hell with both of you for not adding Arrested Development quotes. Volt for Steve Holt!

JT-forpresident
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
just saw district 9 ... very good indeed, i highly recommend it to sci-fi fans, and even those who don't like that style as much. Very refreshing, original and well made movie

BobDole
08-20-2009, 09:19 PM
nagzgalia, you've got a mustache. i mean ... you've got milk on your mustache. i mean ... you've got a milk mustache.

i could go on all day. can't wait for the movie.

Tetragrammaton
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM
nagzgalia, you've got a mustache. i mean ... you've got milk on your mustache. i mean ... you've got a milk mustache.

i could go on all day. can't wait for the movie.

That's George Michael's girlfriend? Is she funny or something?

Noodle Arm
08-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Her???

BobDole
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM

wig shop tranny: are you going to buy this time, or are you just curious?
tobias: i suppose i'm buy-curious ... i have a big TV opportunity.
wig shop tranny: well, this is where all the big TV's come.

Blackocrates
08-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Also, to hell with both of you for not adding Arrested Development quotes.

:lol: I never got into that show. However, I'll have you know that because you and Bob have been quoting back and forth I have taken the time to watch a few episodes on hulu. I didn't care that much for the first three but the fourth one was funny. I'll keep grinding it out little by little because of the two of you and a few of my friends that swear by it.

Tetragrammaton
08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
:lol: I never got into that show. However, I'll have you know that because you and Bob have been quoting back and forth I have taken the time to watch a few episodes on hulu. I didn't care that much for the first three but the fourth one was funny. I'll keep grinding it out little by little because of the two of you and a few of my friends that swear by it.

It isn't like most T.V. comedies that you can just sit down and watch an episode. Once you get to know the characters, it becomes an experience.

Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's best film. Just so you know.

Tobias Fünke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/): [as Mrs. Featherbottom] O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth?
[laughs]
Tobias Fünke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/): Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.
Michael (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000867/): We just call it a sausage.

BobDole
08-21-2009, 07:18 PM
It isn't like most T.V. comedies that you can just sit down and watch an episode. Once you get to know the characters, it becomes an experience.

Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's best film. Just so you know.

Tobias Fünke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/): [as Mrs. Featherbottom] O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth?
[laughs]
Tobias Fünke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/): Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.
Michael (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000867/): We just call it a sausage.

arguably my favorite episode.

tobias: time to take your fun-fun.
maeby: its fen-fen, and it's my mom's, and it's been banned by the FDA.
tobias: that's why you always read the label, always read the label, in the most delicious way.

the part where he wanted to make an 'inspirational' entrance and walked off the second story and crashed through the living room table - i cried i laughed so hard. loved that show.

PhinzN703
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I saw 'Funny Games' last week. I hated it

PATSSUCK
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Arrested Development is one of the funniest shows in TV history. GOB is my favorite.

COME ON!!

I would cry but I may need the moisture - The mom ( I am blanking on the name).

Sister is the new mother. Is it me or has she gotten hotter? - Buster

Tobias, you blow hard.

Tetragrammaton
08-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I saw 'Funny Games' last week. I hated it

The original German or the American remake? If it is the latter, I agree.

PATSSUCK
08-21-2009, 08:33 PM
We are going to play up your father's religious conversion to gain sympathy - PR lady

Yeah, because who doesnt like the jews - Mother Bluth

Arrested Developement getting cancelled was as close to a TV crime as there is. How does a show like that get cancelled?

Blackocrates
08-22-2009, 09:58 PM
"Look who's coming to dinner." *enters Carl Weathers*

"Speech! Speech! Speech!" Nobody gives a speech.

While talking on the phone together:
Gob: "Just say 'nobody' if Marta is next to you."
Michael: "Nobody"
Gob: "Now I don't know what's going on."

That was one hell of an episode.

Blackocrates
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM
George: "Great, I'm going to get a lethal injection because my son won't eat a potato".

Blackocrates
08-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Her???

George Michael: "She's really funny".
George: "Well, let's hope so".

Tetragrammaton
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Goodbye Solo almost made me cry. Bahrani may be my favorite working director.

Baby, you've got a stew going.

BobDole
08-29-2009, 02:12 AM
michael bluth: i need the guy with the fake arm, j. walter weatherman.

george bluth: oh, he's dead. you killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioning on.

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I haven't seen any movies lately. Although, I did finish the series of Arrested Development and I loved it. The two scenes that stick out to me are the ones where Buster and Gob are dancing for the magic trick. The first one is the one where they're "burying" George and Buster has that silly WWI uniform on with the black spandex shirt underneath. The music kicks on and Buster gets into it. Gob sees Buster dancing and get angry. :lol:

The second is the one with the sword. The music kicks on and Buster is doing his thing all over the place while Gob is doing his usual bit. Then all of a sudden they both start dancing together and it takes Gob a minute to feel disgusted and push Buster away.

Those two scenes crack me up. There are a million though. Just seeing little blobs of blue paint in the house cracked me up. Then the blue hand print on the top of Kitty's head. :lol:

I can't believe that show was canceled. They didn't market it well because I would have watched it if I had known. Stupid Fox, they mess everything up.

Tetragrammaton
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I haven't seen any movies lately. Although, I did finish the series of Arrested Development and I loved it. The two scenes that stick out to me are the ones where Buster and Gob are dancing for the magic trick. The first one is the one where they're "burying" George and Buster has that silly WWI uniform on with the black spandex shirt underneath. The music kicks on and Buster gets into it. Gob sees Buster dancing and get angry. :lol:

The second is the one with the sword. The music kicks on and Buster is doing his thing all over the place while Gob is doing his usual bit. Then all of a sudden they both start dancing together and it takes Gob a minute to feel disgusted and push Buster away.

Those two scenes crack me up. There are a million though. Just seeing little blobs of blue paint in the house cracked me up. Then the blue hand print on the top of Kitty's head. :lol:

I can't believe that show was canceled. They didn't market it well because I would have watched it if I had known. Stupid Fox, they mess everything up.

After absorbing The Wire, Arrested Development, and Seinfeld, TV is tough. Nothing can top the three, in my opinion.

canesandbhoys
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
My last few films... SLC Punk, Kids, The Dark Knight (Again. A Humanities discussion had me looking for some things), Be Kind Rewind... I can't remember any more at the moment.

canesandbhoys
09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Ah, how could I forget Pan's Labyrinth, which I was not impressed with at all. I went into it looking for certain symbols and story parallels that I did not see at all. In the end, it felt like a very incomplete story. Is there an Extended or Director's Cut?

Noodle Arm
09-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I just did everybody here a favor and saw Gamer. You can send your condolences at a later time.

Gonzo
10-09-2009, 10:35 PM
In honor of Halloween and Roman's arrest, I'm watching Rosemary's Baby.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

JTBRLZ
10-11-2009, 01:52 AM

One of my favorite scenes, or at least the one that sticks out in my memory the most, is when Charlize Theron is walking away from Michael and she walks on water. What ensues had me dieing laughing for 20 minutes straight.

uga3406
10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I just watched the reader and it was excellent...started off slow the 1st 30-40 mins but was great once the plot got going...i recommend it to any 1 who is either a ray fiennes fan or kate winslet who who the oscar for her role...

CedarPhin
10-17-2009, 01:00 AM
I want to watch "Stepfather" and "Law Abiding Citizen"

jared81
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
i saw couples retreat because my wife dragged me to it. stupid vince vaughn comedy, not that funny.

Gonzo
10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
A Serious Man. Another classic Coen Brothers, imo.

BobDole
10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
saw blindness this weekend. original plot - interesting flick.

Tetragrammaton
10-27-2009, 11:44 PM
A Serious Man. Another classic Coen Brothers, imo.

I am very jealous indeed. It is probably my most anticipated film of the year after seeing Where the Wild Things Are.

Tetragrammaton
10-27-2009, 11:46 PM
I just watched the reader and it was excellent...started off slow the 1st 30-40 mins but was great once the plot got going...i recommend it to any 1 who is either a ray fiennes fan or kate winslet who who the oscar for her role...

I didn't like the Reader, but it convinced me that Kate Winslet is the most beautiful actress in the country. Kate Winslet naked for an entire film is worth the price of admission.

DzakkH13
11-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Donnie Darko! I watch it from time to time. Awesome movie. If you have a chance, check it out!