PDA

View Full Version : Should Mandatory HIV Testing Be the Norm?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
After nearly three decades of fighting HIV/AIDS, more than a 140 people in the U.S. are still being infected with the virus every day.

Monica Sweeney of New York City's Department of Health says the most at risk of getting HIV have limited access to medical care and don't find out they are infected until they already have full blown AIDS.

"That means for eight to 10 years they have been giving out HIV, having behaviors that transmit it and many times without their knowledge," Sweeney said.

To combat that, the Centers for Disease Control recommends identifying new cases by systematically testing every patient who steps into an emergency room - without asking the patient. But New York and nine other states are in direct conflict with those guidelines. They mandate what's known as "informed consent," which means health care professionals must explain the test and get the patient's signature.

Saint Vincent Hospital's Dr. Antonio Urbina has been pushing for testing reform because he says informed consent has become a barrier to stopping the virus.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/16/eveningnews/main5245708.shtml?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.7

BobDole
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
i'm changing my name to full blown aids.

SpurzN703
08-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I think everyone should get tested at least once a year, just to be sure. If you don't, can you blame anyone but yourself if you say you didn't know you had it and it's now 'full blown AIDS'?

LtDan
08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
military gets tested once a year