PDA

View Full Version : Man escapes charges for barbecuing pet dog

BAMAPHIN 22
08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
A man who roasted his pet dog to enjoy as a meal with his family and friends escaped prosecution after authorities in New Zealand determined the animal was killed humanely.

"We were in a dilemma at seeing something we were fairly upset about -- but being in a position of being able to do absolutely nothing about it," said Garth Halliday, of the Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, on Monday.

The SPCA -- which investigates acts of animal cruelty and presses charges -- responded to the house in Mangere, south of Auckland.
There, officers found the charred body of a Staffordshire terrier cooking in a barbecue pit.

"They had had the dog for a while, but the man told us his wife was getting tired of the dog. He was becoming a pest," Halliday said.
"They decided to get rid of him. But instead of bringing him to the SPCA -- which we recommend -- they decided to have a meal, and cook and eat him."

The family is from Tonga where eating a dog is not uncommon, Halliday said.

"Can you imagine what Michael Vick is thinking !!!":lol2:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/18/new.zealand.dog.bbq/index.html

arsenal
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
interesting debate this brings up... im an animal lover 100%, especially dogs... but really if people are eating the meat as a meal, who are we to say what animal they can or cannot eat? we kill cows and chickens the same way, or veal or pigs, or lots and lots of different kinds of animals... why should some animals be allowed to be eaten and not others?

PhinzN703
08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
interesting debate this brings up... im an animal lover 100%, especially dogs... but really if people are eating the meat as a meal, who are we to say what animal they can or cannot eat? we kill cows and chickens the same way, or veal or pigs, or lots and lots of different kinds of animals... why should some animals be allowed to be eaten and not others?

They said they ate the dog b/c the wife was getting tired of it. It's justified then that they kill it and eat the ****ing thing b/c the wife has a problem with the dog?

I'd rather them abandon the thing so at least it has a chance to either live on it's own or get picked up by a family who gives a damn.

Noodle Arm
08-18-2009, 12:22 PM
They said they ate the dog b/c the wife was getting tired of it. It's justified then that they kill it and eat the ****ing thing b/c the wife has a problem with the dog?

"You know hun, our son Jimmy is really getting on my nerves and I'm tired of it...go fire up the grill."

arsenal
08-18-2009, 12:40 PM

I'd rather them abandon the thing so at least it has a chance to either live on it's own or get picked up by a family who gives a damn.

so if someone has a chicken for a while then decides, i dont want the chicken anymore, they cant eat it? what about a pig?

BobDole
08-18-2009, 07:43 PM
it's a part of their diet. no big deal. if i had a pet pig i was getting tired of you better believe i'd be having bacon.

WeVie
08-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't think I wanna go to his house for a cookout!

myke1072
08-19-2009, 04:56 AM
I think the problem word here is "pet". When I have a "pet" it is an extension of my family. Extensions of my family are not meals. As a dog lover, this story disgusts me.

PhinzN703
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
so if someone has a chicken for a while then decides, i dont want the chicken anymore, they cant eat it? what about a pig?

Is that what happened in this situation? No, so why bring up hypotheticals? We're talking about something that did happen.

ricky williams
08-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Is that what happened in this situation? No, so why bring up hypotheticals? We're talking about something that did happen.

that is not the point. the point is what make a dog more important than a chicken or a white person more important than a black.

so we can torture chickens or do anything we want to them but if we do the same to a dog it is wrong.

no matter the intent. if we prosecuted on intent and logic alone then all would be in jail.

Pandarilla 72
08-22-2009, 02:14 AM
it's a part of their diet. no big deal. if i had a pet pig i was getting tired of you better believe i'd be having bacon.
Dude, you got the best sig on the entire site, you must be soooo ****ing bored!

BobDole
08-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Dude, you got the best sig on the entire site, you must be soooo ****ing bored!

thanks. and yes i am. how does that pertain to the sig though?

Pandarilla 72
08-22-2009, 02:29 AM
just always wanted to give you the big thumbs up on the sig is all..?..(plus, I'm smashed,,,... can't you read my other post....

BobDole
08-22-2009, 02:35 AM
just always wanted to give you the big thumbs up on the sig is all..?..(plus, I'm smashed,,,... can't you read my other post....

wish i was drunk tonight. got stuck dog sitting my mom's new pit puppy until tomorrow morning because of some stupid emergency. definitely boozin tomorrow though.

Pandarilla 72
08-22-2009, 02:48 AM
It was a girls getting up on the bar and shaking their money maker extavaganza tonight(but I'm sure babysitting your mom's dog is just as fulfilling:chuckle:)...(****ing sorry, dude, you're my special poster!)
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/EVIL-1.gif

The_Dark_Knight
08-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Kind of hard making a comparrison of this pet dog and chickens or a pig. I mean, I know some people have those Vietnamese Potbellied pigs as a pet, but as far as the chickens are concerned, I don't know too many people who have chickens as pets. Those are kept for one thing and one thing only...food. Mostly the same thing as far as pigs are concerned.

A pet dog on the other hand...it would be different if they had dogs...plural...for the purpose of aising and then eating. I have no problem with anyone eating dog. It's supposed to be a good meat and it is a custom obsered in many countries throughout the world, but this WAS their PET.

To me, that's the biggest discriminatory factor in this story.