PDA

View Full Version : CPU fan going waaay too fast

Clipse
08-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Well, I know there's alot of computer smart people on this board. I'm taking my computer to a freind who works on them Thursday, figure I'd ask here for any suggestions beforehand.

Ok so my computer fan sounds like a Kawasaki Ninja at the moment... My CPU was overheating, so I cleaned off my fans and the inside of my computer with some air duster. And now, the fan is going hella fast. Alot faster and louder than it was before. I didn't use any Thermal Paste, and I think I might have messed up somewhere reinstalling the fans. I've also had this computer over 2 years, this was the 1st time I've had an overheating problem, and 1st time I ever cleaned the inside and I'm pretty sure it was due to dust because my fans were covered in it. So perhaps my fan is acting like this because my fans are worn. So perhaps replacing the fans and/or heatsink will be the cure?

Any suggestions would be nice. Taking my Computer to a freind on Thursday so he could take a look at it, in case I don't fix it by then.

On a sidenote, after I put the fans back on, Windows wouldn't boot up. I've had a problem with Firefox and IE both crashing every time I started them up, as well as a BSOD issue, well the computer ran system restore and now my Comp is running good as ever again :lol:. Only problem is this loud *** fan.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

JCane
08-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Check your CPU usage on your Task Manager. How high is it and which programs are hogging the majority of the CPU?

Clipse
08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Check your CPU usage on your Task Manager. How high is it and which programs are hogging the majority of the CPU?
About 10% CPU usage, and taskmgr.exe and Azureus.exe are taking the majority, with bigfix.exe taking a bit as well.

Clipse
08-19-2009, 01:45 AM
I also have SpeedFan installed on my comp so I can give the computer temperatures and fan speeds as well if need be.

BARF
08-19-2009, 02:01 AM
how many times a day are u on your computer, and remember it is the summer could be it is working extra hard cuz of the temperature

Clipse
08-19-2009, 02:12 AM
how many times a day are u on your computer, and remember it is the summer could be it is working extra hard cuz of the temperature
I leave my computer on 24/7. I go on the computer probably on average 5 times a day. In school so I use it alot.

Now, the computer desk I used to have was open, and close to the ground, big reason why it was so dusty in there. Now I have a computer desk that's closed, with a door, so less dust, but also hotter I imagine.

Edit- Temperatures at this moment read between 43-45C. I think that's about normal. Fans are spinning at 2519 and 2813 RPM. All this according to SpeedFan.

BARF
08-19-2009, 02:40 AM
turn your computer off, i have the same problem at work, with the computers at my job i shut it down for a couple of hours and it stops it for a long while

Clipse
08-19-2009, 02:51 AM
turn your computer off, i have the same problem at work, with the computers at my job i shut it down for a couple of hours and it stops it for a long while
I will try that. This just started happening after I took my computer apart to clean the fans and what not. Reason it had me worried was that after I put it back together, not only was my fan even faster and louder than before, but Windows wouldn't boot and I had to run a system repair, and then a system restore. But thanks for the tip, I will shut off the computer for the night, and see how it acts in the morning.

Clipse
08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Meh, still sounds like a jet engine. I'm thinking perhaps I reinstalled one of the fans incorrectly or put the screws on too loose.

Finfang
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Meh, still sounds like a jet engine. I'm thinking perhaps I reinstalled one of the fans incorrectly or put the screws on too loose.

That could be the case.

Hey when you blew out the fans did you hold the fan blades still with a pencil. If you blow air on them and they spin in the opposite direction it can really mess them up.

Always use the paste. Without it you will fry your CPU.

Clipse
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
That could be the case.

Hey when you blew out the fans did you hold the fan blades still with a pencil. If you blow air on them and they spin in the opposite direction it can really mess them up.

Always use the paste. Without it you will fry your CPU.
I did hold the fans. I did not however, use the Paste. But yea, I've almost come to the conclusion that I messed up somewhere reinstalling the main fan, the one connected to the heatsink, being that's the one making all the noise. Computer on the other hand works better than ever suprisingly... No more crash problems.

Clipse
08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, seems that everything is normal temp/speed. Temperatures are 40-42C. That's about normal. Fan speeds are between 2200-2500 RPM. That's about normal. So it seems the problem isn't that the CPU fan is going too fast, it's just too loud. I definately think it's a heatsink problem.