PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow the best ever? Bobby Bowden doesn't think he's better than Charlie Ward

BAMAPHIN 22
08-19-2009, 09:08 AM
"People keep asking me about Tebow," Bowden said. "You know, is he the best ever? I don't know if he's better than Charlie. I don't think he runs better than Charlie. I don't think he throws better than Charlie. And Charlie only played [quarterback] two years for us."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-tim-tebow-charlie-ward-s081909,0,3829985.story

BobDole
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
that's too funny. is he the best ever? nah. is he better than charlie? uh, yeah. he needs to retire so his legacy can remain intact and so the noles might have some chance of being relevant in the near future.

CedarPhin
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Tommie Frazier

MelbournePhin
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
noles will be relevant soon.

BobDole
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
noles will be relevant soon.

that's news to me. based on their performance the last few years and their post season debacles, i'd be forced to say otherwise. bobby has no hold on that team anymore and i don't think his presence helps at this point.

MelbournePhin
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
to each his own. just wait and see i guess.

MelbournePhin
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
btw, you a gator fan?

TedSlimmJr
08-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Noles will be relevant soon.....you're starting to see Jimbo's fingerprint on that team as Bobby's vanishes...

Their bowl game against Wisconsin last year wasn't a debacle.....that's the best football game I've seen Florida St. play in 5 years....

They'll SPANK the still clueless Canes in the first game...

Dolfan3773
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Noles will be relevant soon.....you're starting to see Jimbo's fingerprint on that team as Bobby's vanishes...

Their bowl game against Wisconsin last year wasn't a debacle.....that's the best football game I've seen Florida St. play in 5 years....

:ponder:...i dont think so... GO CANES!

JCane
08-19-2009, 11:41 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/d13e2958-1.gif

HurriPhin
08-20-2009, 05:00 AM
They'll SPANK the still clueless Canes in the first game... :yap:

Sticking to the thread:
Ward and Tebow are very close in comparison in their respective times. Both won the NCAA QB of the Year, Maxwell, O'Brien, & Heisman awards and led their teams to NCAA championships. Both are very accurate passers but have very different running styles. Ward was similar to Vick or Randall Cunningham and was a serious threat with his feet and scrambling abilities. Tebow just plows forward like a fullback which is pretty easy for a big QB in the spread offense. Tebow gets a large nod with his leadership abilities which are second to none, but being a QB in a pass-happy, shotgun spread offense tends to skew his overall numbers. Although both are excellent QB's, Ward was considered by many as one of the best all-around athletes in the past 25 years. Charlie was drafted by MLB, the NBA and though he opted out of the NFL draft (declined b/c he was not considered 1st rd talent) he was later contacted by the KC Chiefs. I think it could be a split decision but I'll go with Ward here. I know it's probably not the popular choice b/c many were too young to appreciate the incredible athleticism that Ward brought to the table, but overall I think Charlie had more intangibles than Tebow.

chrisbaucom
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM

I'm not quite sure how you qualify that win against Wisconsin as the best game they've played in 5 years. Since Barry Alvarez left Wisconsin, they have been on a downward slide. 2006 was 1 loss and 2007 was 4 losses. They lost 5 games last year in the Big 10!! They lost to Michigan...they were terrible.

Akron - W
Marshall - W
Fresno State - W (barely)
Michigan - L
Ohio State - L
Penn State - L
Iowa - L
Illinois - W
Michigan State - L
Minnesota -
Indiana - L
Cal Poly - L

They were bottom tier of the Big 10, of course Florida State should've beat the crap out of them. This game said more about how bad Wisconsin was rather than how good you think Florida State is.

Don't think florida state is any farther ahead in their "comeback" than Miami. And what makes you say "clueless"? I haven't seen them play a game yet this year. And, no, I don't buy into practice hype, I want to see the product on the field before I pass judgement.

miamarino484
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
The noles will be relevant once....they learn how to "pay" for items at a store....and of course...once they learn how to truly and fairly beat the Gators!....and by the way....Charlie Ward???...who's he? oh oh he's the bag boy at my local Wal-Mart..I knew I recognized that name from somewhere....hehe

TedSlimmJr
08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not quite sure how you qualify that win against Wisconsin as the best game they've played in 5 years. Since Barry Alvarez left Wisconsin, they have been on a downward slide. 2006 was 1 loss and 2007 was 4 losses. They lost 5 games last year in the Big 10!! They lost to Michigan...they were terrible.

Akron - W
Marshall - W
Fresno State - W (barely)
Michigan - L
Ohio State - L
Penn State - L
Iowa - L
Illinois - W
Michigan State - L
Minnesota -
Indiana - L
Cal Poly - L

They were bottom tier of the Big 10, of course Florida State should've beat the crap out of them. This game said more about how bad Wisconsin was rather than how good you think Florida State is.

Don't think florida state is any farther ahead in their "comeback" than Miami. And what makes you say "clueless"? I haven't seen them play a game yet this year. And, no, I don't buy into practice hype, I want to see the product on the field before I pass judgement.

It's not about how good or bad Wisconsin is or isn't since Alvarez.....the point is in the last 5 years....Florida St. would've been just as bad in that game....they weren't...

I payed close attention to that game...as I do a LOT of college football games....and Florida St. dominated in every aspect.....it's the best and most complete game I've seen them play in 5 years....they're starting to turn the corner finally...

I don't see that out of Miami....not even CLOSE...haven't seen it since the title game loss to Ohio State....and that's been a while...

I'm not a Florida St. fan....I'm a Bama guy....and a college football fan....but I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that Miami should beat Florida St. in the first game.....and nothing to lead me to believe that they should be favored at all....

Anything can happen...but I think FSU wins this game.....and it could even get ugly...

You know 52-13 ugly? (Miami vs. Oklahoma) You know, 48-0 ugly? (Miami vs. a mediocre Virginia team...last game in the O.B.) You know, 40-3 ugly? (Miami vs. LSU in the Peach Bowl) You know, 44-14 ugly? (Miami vs. Virginia Tech)

Remember how ugly it got against GT last year?

I'm just sayin.....this ain't the Cane's they used to be....and don't see anything to lead me to believe they're close....especially as long as Randy Shannon is the coach....

X-Pacolypse
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Charlie Ward was great, but Tim Tebow has had a better career overall. Two national titles, with a shot at a third one. Former Heisman Trophy winner, with a chance to be the only two time Heisman Trophy winner since Archie Griffin. This is coming from someone who doesn't like Tebow.

BobDole
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
btw, you a gator fan?

yup. how'd you guess? :lol:

HurriPhin
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Charlie Ward was great, but Tim Tebow has had a better career overall. Two national titles, with a shot at a third one. Former Heisman Trophy winner, with a chance to be the only two time Heisman Trophy winner since Archie Griffin. This is coming from someone who doesn't like Tebow.

Up until this point Charlie and Tim have had pretty identical careers. I can only give Tebow credit for one championship though. The ga*tors would have won it in 2006 without him. That one goes to Chris Leak. Tebow certainly has excellent potential to be the best ever considering he still has his senior season to go. Another NC and Heisman would definitely solidify that.

Nappy Roots
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
The noles will be relevant once....they learn how to "pay" for items at a store....and of course...once they learn how to truly and fairly beat the Gators!....and by the way....Charlie Ward???...who's he? oh oh he's the bag boy at my local Wal-Mart..I knew I recognized that name from somewhere....hehe

what a great joke from a 35 year old. have you watching football recently? you realize Pete doesnt play for the Noles anymore right?

oh btw, Charlie Ward is a millionaire..nice try with the bag boy comment..

frady2001
08-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Yes, they should learn to pay for items like this UF QB.

Backup QB Cameron Newton arrested for stealing laptop, suspended from team

University of Florida police arrested sophomore quarterback Cameron Newton on Friday afternoon for felony charges of buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, according to Alachua County jail records. Newton has been suspended from the team, according to football team spokesman Steve McClain.
Newton allegedly stole a Dell laptop from a UF student's dorm room and then threw it out of the window when University Police Department officers visited Newton's dorm today, according to the UPD arrest report. Newton was booked at 2:25 p.m. after the alleged buglary was reported on Oct. 16, according to the report.
Police found out via the university's computer network that someone had logged onto the student-friendly Gatorlink system with the laptop under the identification "cnewton," according to the report. Newton, 19, signed a waiver form Friday allowing the police to view his Dell computer, which appeared to have been painted black and had the spelling "Cam Newton" in white painted letters on the lid, according to the report.
The serial number from the computer in Newton's dorm matched all but one of the seven digits from the code the UF student said belonged to his estimated $1,700 computer, according to the report. The computer in Newton's dorm had the letter "Q" instead of the student's "2," according to the report.
The officers stepped away from Newton's room to call and ask the student if the serial numbers matched, but the computer was gone when they returned to Newton's room, according to the report. The computer was later found by a garbage dumpster outside of the Springs Complex, where Newton lived on the third floor, according to the report.

Newton, who is unavailable for comment, is a medical redshirt candidate who hasn't played since the season opener against Hawaii because of an ankle injury. Newton (2-of-4 passing, 14 yards on the year) and redshirt freshman John Brantley battled for the backup quarterback job in the preseason.
This is the second arrest of a Gators football player in November and the fourth legal incident involving a team member in the 2008 calendar year. Jacques Rickerson was kicked off the team on Nov. 4 following a felony domestic violence arrest.
Gainesville-based lawyer Huntley Johnson said he plans to represent Newton on a Saturday morning court appearance and hopes Newton is released on his own recognizance.
"It's too early to comment on the case at this point," Johnson said.

JCane
08-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Yes, they should learn to pay for items like this UF QB.

Backup QB Cameron Newton arrested for stealing laptop, suspended from team

University of Florida police arrested sophomore quarterback Cameron Newton on Friday afternoon for felony charges of buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, according to Alachua County jail records. Newton has been suspended from the team, according to football team spokesman Steve McClain.
Newton allegedly stole a Dell laptop from a UF student's dorm room and then threw it out of the window when University Police Department officers visited Newton's dorm today, according to the UPD arrest report. Newton was booked at 2:25 p.m. after the alleged buglary was reported on Oct. 16, according to the report.
Police found out via the university's computer network that someone had logged onto the student-friendly Gatorlink system with the laptop under the identification "cnewton," according to the report. Newton, 19, signed a waiver form Friday allowing the police to view his Dell computer, which appeared to have been painted black and had the spelling "Cam Newton" in white painted letters on the lid, according to the report.
The serial number from the computer in Newton's dorm matched all but one of the seven digits from the code the UF student said belonged to his estimated $1,700 computer, according to the report. The computer in Newton's dorm had the letter "Q" instead of the student's "2," according to the report.
The officers stepped away from Newton's room to call and ask the student if the serial numbers matched, but the computer was gone when they returned to Newton's room, according to the report. The computer was later found by a garbage dumpster outside of the Springs Complex, where Newton lived on the third floor, according to the report.

Newton, who is unavailable for comment, is a medical redshirt candidate who hasn't played since the season opener against Hawaii because of an ankle injury. Newton (2-of-4 passing, 14 yards on the year) and redshirt freshman John Brantley battled for the backup quarterback job in the preseason.
This is the second arrest of a Gators football player in November and the fourth legal incident involving a team member in the 2008 calendar year. Jacques Rickerson was kicked off the team on Nov. 4 following a felony domestic violence arrest.
Gainesville-based lawyer Huntley Johnson said he plans to represent Newton on a Saturday morning court appearance and hopes Newton is released on his own recognizance.
"It's too early to comment on the case at this point," Johnson said.

Owned lol. **** just got real right there.

:lol:

BobDole
08-23-2009, 07:42 AM
can UM fans really talk about criminals with any kind of authority? no. next.

chrisbaucom
08-23-2009, 10:58 AM
can UM fans really talk about criminals with any kind of authority? no. next.

Is it 24 arrests in 4 years for the Gators.......or 25??? We have all lost count.

One question.......how long before SI does a cover article on why UF should disband their football program due to lack of institutional control??

MelbournePhin
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
cant wait to see all the tears flow from gainesville after tebow is gone. back to mediocrity for the gators