PDA

View Full Version : Lorenzo Neal released by Oakland

SouthPaul
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere or if this is the wrong forum.

I read where the Raiders cut Lorenzo Neal this morning. With the apparent issues that Lousaka Polite has as a lead blocker, I think Neal would be an excellent pickup to fill that role. He was great in Baltimore last year and has a history of helping to improve the running attack of any team he's on. Just sayin.

X-Pacolypse
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
The Raiders continue to be.... Well, the Raiders. I wouldn't mind looking at him.

Pandarilla 72
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
:proud:excellent post if we can land him.

Smith21
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
why did he go to oakland.. didnt they just sign justin griffith to a big contract?
maybe nobody else even wanted to look at him..
i think we should bring him in and see what hes got though!

Dolphan_NY
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Here we go 1 week into pre-season and another whatzhiznutz got cut and we should snatch him up thread.

my answer is no.. we have a solid team and solid replacements. People get cut for a reason..

Dr. Phin
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I wanted to get an idea why he was released, so I went to the Raiders forum...most of the responders are surprised by another stupid Raider FO move...(It was also entertaining reading their "meltdown" thread...)

Maybe he still has something...I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

I really loved this statement on their forum, "its almost like someone in the organization said "Well, the Raiders are starting to get their **** together. Better start Operation Self-Implode"":lol:

Pandarilla 72
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
yeah, but with the Raiders, who knows. I don't want to start Polite if he can't block anybody, which is what I've been hearing. An upgrade is an upgrade is an upgrade.

DefensiveEnd76
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Isn't Neal like 36 years old??

X-Pacolypse
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM

I think he's 37, but the man can still get it done as a lead blocker. Something that Polite can't do at the moment.

Dr. Phin
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM

He is old, but he would just be for a season or two until we find a real FB. I don't see Polite as anything more than that either...so, if he is an upgrade, I'd take him.

The real question is whether he has anything left in the tank...

72champagne
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
better make sure Cable didn't beat him up first.

FinsFan74
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Getting cut = something to prove = Parcells type of player

IluvJuMiami
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I think he's 37, but the man can still get it done as a lead blocker. Something that Polite can't do at the moment.

"At the moment" would be the key words.

Polite blocked well for more than half a season last year in addition to finding nonexistent, tough yards in between gaurds. He had a poor game Sunday. He had a poor game Sunday in preseason. He had a poor game Sunday in practice, preseason.
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/wvkzwhhfbb--We-Talkin'-PracticeBasketball-NBA-Allen-Iverson-Sports-

Is there any harm in bringing Neal in? Not unless it's contractual. Would it be a waste of time? Halfway through preseason- probably.

JC
08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Here we go 1 week into pre-season and another whatzhiznutz got cut and we should snatch him up thread.

my answer is no.. we have a solid team and solid replacements. People get cut for a reason..

one man's trash is another man's treasure.

#1dolphinsfan
08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
i say stick with polite

SouthPaul
08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Normally I would agree that just because some schmoe got dumped, we shouldn't be eager to jump up and grab them. However, I believe this case to be a little different.

Lousaka Polite has shown, last year and already into this year, that his lead blocking ability leaves a lot to be desired. Whereas Lorenzo Neal has proven time and again that he is one of the best ever lead blockers in the game and would provide an immediate upgrade at the position. Even though it is early, our running game hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far this year. Granted that could simply be a result of our defense being stout against the run as well as Jacksonville's. At the very least, you take a look at the guy if for any other purpose then lighting a fire under Polite's backside.

Of course this would be subject to A) if he is healthy and B) the price is right.

But to the idea that released by the Raiders is a red flag. Giving any credence to the Oakland Raiders football acumen is the equivalent of consulting Charles Barkley for golfing tips.

Rixon
08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Neal has beeen playing in the NFL since i was in JR High. the man was great but now hes just too damn old

FinSolari
08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
I think Lex Hilliard can become a beasty FB for us. I am pretty sure he will be put on the PS so I hope no one scoops him up.

Kiick72
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Sorry guys I am sticking with Polite. The guy was money last year on short yardage conversions. He made EVERY ONE! Something like 9 for 9 when given the opportunity.

Vaark
08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
born 12/27/1970 making him 39 before our first playoff game this season. Just can't see it as a savvy signing.

Roman529
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I say we time warp Larry Csonka from 1972 to 2009. :woot:

Dr. Phin
08-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I think Lex Hilliard can become a beasty FB for us. I am pretty sure he will be put on the PS so I hope no one scoops him up.

Actually, not a half-bad idea...he seems to have the power.

Hurricane_Shula
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry guys I am sticking with Polite. The guy was money last year on short yardage conversions. He made EVERY ONE! Something like 9 for 9 when given the opportunity.

"the 12 times he ran the ball on either 3rd-and-1 or 4th-and-1 Polite picked up the first down 11 times."

Source (a piece on Polite at the Dolphins official site.) (http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=6577)

I'd rather stick with Polite as well. The guy was money in short-yardage, I always felt confident with him having the ball in his hands during those situations.

schmitty8225
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
You can teach someone to block but you can't teach someone to be 15 years younger.

Yamilo
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
You can teach someone to block but you can't teach someone to be 15 years younger.

/end thread

godolphins1985
08-20-2009, 10:39 PM

So didnt Wilson but that doesnt mean they suck, raiders traded away Moss for a 4th does that make him worth a 4th? NO. Raiders is a stupid stupid organization. PERIOD. They do make bad moves just like we used to, and Neal still is an upgrade over polite, dont be so fooled to thinking everyperson on our roster is better than every player that may get released from another team. Polite is ok, not great like you seem to think he is.

BARF
08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
perfect fb for our system

CedarPhin
08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I really wouldn't mind rolling the dice on him if we didn't have Polite.

CedarPhin
08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see SD re-sign him....they have that Pinnock guy though, so who knows.

johngarry
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Low Daddy will go down as one of (if not the) greatest blocking fullbacks in league history ! (imo) That's a BP kinda guy

GoonBoss
08-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Boy........I really respect Neal. He looked like he could still get it done against the Cowboys. I wonder why they cut him?

DolfanDuBbZ~
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM

How's this assessment working out?

I thought he was solid last year....and its bearing fruit now.

Clipse
11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
How's this assessment working out?

I thought he was solid last year....and its bearing fruit now.
Calling out people? What's the point? Polite was a below average lead blocker before the year, so he was right in his assessment. Hindsight sure is terrific.

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Calling out people? What's the point? Polite was a below average lead blocker before the year, so he was right in his assessment. Hindsight sure is terrific.

Below avg in your eyes. In 08 Polite did his job well. To say otherwise is doing disservice to the truth.

Ricky_Fan34
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Dubz and I rarely agree on anything, but Polite has been great for us in both of his years with Miami. Not sure why people wanted to bring in an old washed up fullback. Sure, he was the best of his position at a time, but that time has passed.