PDA

View Full Version : The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Rafiki
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm reading this book right now and I have to say that although it is very unconventional in its form, it is a very touching work. I guess they're making a movie out of it.

Does anyone know why everything is burning? Did a volcano erupt or something?

poornate
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
It is McCormac's style, even if it feels unconventional... he was one of the authors I suggested when this thread was first being bandied around as an addition... by memory, i don't think that they ever spell out what happened... what brought on the apocalyptic future that the book so grimly depicts... but the references made to it indirectly always led me to believe that it was of man's doing... not natural but a consequence of humanity and it's flaws... I love the book and will run to see a movie version.. (if running means waiting 6 months for Netflix to get it!)

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
It is McCormac's style, even if it feels unconventional... he was one of the authors I suggested when this thread was first being bandied around as an addition... by memory, i don't think that they ever spell out what happened... what brought on the apocalyptic future that the book so grimly depicts... but the references made to it indirectly always led me to believe that it was of man's doing... not natural but a consequence of humanity and it's flaws... I love the book and will run to see a movie version.. (if running means waiting 6 months for Netflix to get it!)

You're right they don't give an expressed reason they just lead you to believe it was the destruction by man. Great book, can't wait for the movie. It comes out in a couple of months. I'll go to the threatre for it.

poornate
08-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Theatres are for the wealthy... I am decidedly in the other camp... hell, I can feed my family for a week off of what it takes to ferry me and the wife off for a night at the movies... you rich Palmettos... jeesh...

Blackocrates
09-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Theatres are for the wealthy... I am decidedly in the other camp... hell, I can feed my family for a week off of what it takes to ferry me and the wife off for a night at the movies... you rich Palmettos... jeesh...

I'm just poor white trash. I haven't been to the threatre in a long time. I mostly stick to downloads. I'll make the exception for this. No concessions though.

poornate
09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Not even Hot Tamales? Sadist...

Blackocrates
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Not even Hot Tamales? Sadist...

:lol:

Rafiki
09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. I finished this book some time ago, and you're right, it doesn't spell out what happened.

I almost wanted to say that it was an meteor impact, because it's one of the only cataclysmic forces that I know of that could cause worldwide wild fires and cause ash to rain down for years.

Anyway, the book is worth rereading for study purposes. One of the more interesting things I noticed was the dreams that the man had, they all seemed to have monsters in them. Or his wife.

The ending is sad, but it isn't as sad as I expected, which is good.

PortFin
01-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I thought the ending was actually kind of uplifting, in a sense. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read it, I'll just say I thought it represented a glimmer of hope that humanity can prevail even when surrounded by so much evil and despair. That no matter how bad it is, there will always be people somewhere who will "Carry the flame" or whatever the phrase they use in that book is.