PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes go 0-4? Will Shannon be gone?

ThunderDan13
08-29-2009, 03:11 PM
AT FSU
vs. Ga. Tech
AT Va. Tech
vs. Oklahoma

Shannon better have done some miraculous things with the team this offseason, because the last week of last season, everyone one of these teams would have dominated the hurricanes.

MelbournePhin
08-29-2009, 04:05 PM
i dont think so. they go 1-3 beating GT at home

dolfan94
08-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Doubt it. Unless this is followed by more and more losses

JCane
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM

I'll be honest, this isn't the easiest first four games in the country and if I had to rank the four from most likely to win to least likey to win:

Florida State
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Oklahoma

I say we're most likely to beat Florida State not as a flame, but because it's an instate rivalry game. It never matters how great or how bad either team is, both teams come ready to beat the other one each and every time. So many games are decided by field goals and I can't see any reason why this one will be any different.

We beat Virginia Tech last season on a Thursday night at home and I just can't see where that team has gotten any better. Tyrod Taylor, as good as he is, cannot do it all against our defense. Our secondary is weak but our run game is strong. Taylor has yet to prove he can beat teams with his arm and with Evans out for the season, I don't see how they're much better than us. Jacory plays very well on the road but then again, this is Blacksburg.

We have yet to prove that we can beat Georgia Tech. Last season was an abortion. Of the first four games on our schedule, this one concerns me the most. The Triple Option is stiff. We have the speed to stop it obviously but the question is will we. It's our home opener on a Thursday night against an conference opponent in front of an ESPN audience. We have to prove that we can beat Georgia Tech because last season's game was an absolute ABORTION.

Oklahoma...0.000003% chance of beating the Sooners. Need I say more.

If we can get past Oklahoma at 2 - 2, I say we have a legit chance at winning 9 games plus the bowl game. Obviously not saying that we WILL win our bowl game because we have no idea who we're playing but I think if we can win 9 games this season, obviously a big turn around has occured.

The key to Shannon's future is Mark Whipple. If he can get the offense on track, Randy and Lovett will without a doubt hold up their end on defense. There's no question that the talent is there. We have the talent to win. We have the talent RIGHT now to win 11 games. The question is the coaching. Shannon has to win. He has to.

Namor
08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
2-2 is what I feel,maybe 3 and 1.
Damn..that's a rough start to a season.

Finfang
08-29-2009, 07:16 PM

:lol: LMFAO!!!!!

GT is going to eat the Canes alive with that triple option offense.

The Jackets are going to whip them like last year.

JCane
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Ohhhh now it's on lol.

Finfang
08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Ohhhh now it's on lol.

As a die hard GT fan I'm looking forward to it. :up:

RaboGrande24
08-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Brutal schedule but never count the U out. Shannon better be on his game cuz were talented enough to be a bowl team

MelbournePhin
08-29-2009, 11:57 PM
well they had to get one win, so i pick GT. i guess they are going 0-4

HurriPhin
08-30-2009, 02:23 AM
4-0 start & we'll see Texas in the Rose Bowl. :woot:

JCane
08-30-2009, 02:55 AM
4-0 start & we'll see Texas in the Rose Bowl. :woot:

Man I drank a lot tonight but damn lol.

HurriPhin
08-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Man I drank a lot tonight but damn lol.

:chuckle: Hey, I still got two weeks for wishful thinking.

finsheatcanes
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
lets say they go 4-0 ...should the be #1 after beating 19,15,7 and 3?

JCane
09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
lets say they go 4-0 ...should the be #1 after beating 19,15,7 and 3?

Won't happen. We'll never overtake Florida, Texas, Alabama, USC, etc. If by some miracle we go 4 - 0, we'd probably move into the top 10 but we'd be a very vulnerable top 10 team. Mose vulnerable that top 10 Notre Dame.

canesandbhoys
09-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Last season was an abortion.

lol wut

Awsi Dooger
09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
We play Georgia Tech in a favorable situation this season, early and at home, completely opposite of last year. That game is very winnable.

The media has always been inept at analyzing option teams. It's even worse, now that they have all but disappeared. The triple option is a November offense, when the timing is down. It wasn't surprising at all when Georgia Tech destroyed the Canes last year, and then scored a ton of second half points to upset Georgia.

Likewise, it was completely predictable that LSU massacred Georgia Tech in the bowl game. Option teams hate long layoffs. They can get away with it versus weak foes but LSU, a Top 10 team in preseason. had more talent than Georgia Tech to begin with. LSU as an underdog in that game was one of the two or three worst pointspreads I've ever seen in more than 25 years of handicapping.

The Canes in the '80s did not abuse the Sooner wishbone. We played Oklahoma always at their most vulnerable periods, either early season or in the bowl game. Nebraska, meanwhile, had to face the Sooners at Thanksviging time. Hardly equivalent. Osborne had a horrible record against Switzer as a result.

Anyway, FSU is all on Jacory. We'll play well and the talent level is all but identical. But unless Jacory jettisons his Northwestern nonchalance and understands he's not on a team that's multiple TDs superior to the opponent every week, we'll likely fall short.

I don't like the chances at Va Tech. Two weeks ago I attended a Va Tech fall scrimmage at their stadium in Blacksburg. Wearing a Canes T shirt. :lol:

Brutally physical team. Wide bodies. Relentless pass rush. They seemed too tough for us, playing on the road with an unproven coach and quarterback.

I don't think we can match points with Oklahoma for four quarters but at home there's always room for shock. I don't feel nearly as pessimistic about that game as 2007 in Norman, when I thought we'd be exposed. I took some heat for using that word on a few Canes message boards.

Oh yeah, the question: No, Shannon would not be in trouble at 0-4. Shalala would have major input and she's a Randy booster. It would take an abysmal season with some type of off field embarrassment for Shannon to lose his job in 2009, IMO.

Kdawg954
09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
If we went 4-0 . . . how is this team not number 1?

I would love to go out to Cali and beat up on those Gators in the Rose Bowl lmao . . . honestly I wish for that just as much as I wish for the Dolphins to host the Super Bowl this year.

If we did win all 4 games . . . we probably would be behind Florida, Texas and USC.

I am guessing 2-2 . . . winning the first 2 . . . I don't think Tech is going to lose their first 2 games at home against Alabama and the U . . . but that game in Blacksburg is winnable tho.

I'm not even going to dismiss the Oklahoma game yet . . . they have a new OLine, maybe they can put some pressure on Bradford. I will be at that game if I have my say.

chrisbaucom
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
All I really want for Christmas is a win Monday night..............then I will worry about that oopty oop offense GA Tech runs. I do love the 10 days off before Tech and the fact that Tech has to play Clemson the Thursday before The U.

finsheatcanes
09-10-2009, 02:40 AM
oklahomos qb is gone...and if he is back for our game still isnt 100% hmm maybe 3-1 start for us now? things just get better and better

kpcane
09-18-2009, 07:03 PM

:lol:

Finfang
09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
:lol:

Busy.....eating.....crow. :crazy:

I deserve that.