PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Zach Thomas to retire/Agent says he is NOT retiring

phinfann13
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I just heard it on ESPN. He just doesn't have it like he used to. I hope we can sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Dolphin.

Roman529
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Per Adam Shefter on ESPN. Next stop....the Hall of Fame.

krisko
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
i hated to see him go. he was as solid a linebacker as we've ever seen for the dolphins. love him.

Pinkboy
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't blame him.

Who wants to be in KC this year ?

Or ANY year ?

MassAssassin
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Best LB back in the day! I miss him, one my favorite players.

Chi-Town FinFan
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Sign him to a one day contract and let's get that name and number up in the ring of honor! (I hope it's at the TB game, because I'm going to be there!)

Thanks for the memories Zach....

Pinkboy
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Ring of honors don't happen that quickly. It was just last season that we honored Bob Baumhower.

Zach will have to wait about 3 to 5 years for that ceremony.

MDFinFan06
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
one of my favorite players of all time. great guy with great class, heres to you Zach.

miamirw
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
You beat me to this. He'll retire a Phin. One of the best all time.

Nick Buoniconti
John Offerdahl
Zach Thomas

Now that's tradition...

Don't remember if Hugh Green was an Inside LB.

SRM
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Glad to see he's able to retire at his own will. Wish you the best life possible Zach! Hope he has a great time being able to spend his time with his family now.

Pinkboy
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Maybe he'll open up a bagel joint.

chillwill3000
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
He should definitley retire as a Dolphin and then we should hire him as an intern coach. He would make a great LB's coach one day. One of the toughest and smartest LB's ever. I wish you the best Zach.

Predaphin
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM

Come home Zach

Chi-Town FinFan
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
He should definitley retire as a Dolphin and then we should hire him as an intern coach. He would make a great LB's coach one day. One of the toughest and smartest LB's ever. I wish you the best Zach.

Took the words right out of my mouth.... Although, why only a LB coach? I think this is a guy, who could be a good head coach some day, in the mold of guys like Del Rio and Singletary.

The Furminister
08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
He's gonna retire as a Dolphin, can anyone really see him retire as a Cowboy or even a Cheif???

IluvJuMiami
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Now Ross can go ahead and do what he does best: sign his biggest celebrity yet.

X-Pacolypse
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Zach,

Come home, sign a one day contract, and retire with team you loved so dearly. Don't hang your head today, be proud of the career you had! See you in Canton, my friend.

ronnieb_23
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Besides Marino, Thomas has been my favorite player growing up. I only caught the end of Marinos career from what I can remember but saw Zach play in his prime and it was truely a remarkable thing to watch. You could count on him to make the play dam near every time, undersized didn't mean a thing. A 5th round draft pick that recorded over 1700 tackles and made 7 pro bowls. I thank you Zach Thomas for making the Miami Dolphins a fun team to watch.

TheDon74
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
I just heard it on ESPN. He just doesn't have it like he used to. I hope we can sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Dolphin.

As far as I'm concerned he is retiring a Dolphin. No need for a gimmicky 1 day contract.

Side note, compare Zach's numbers to Ray Lewis numbers. I find it amazing people consider Lewis an automatic for the Hall (me included) but not Zach. Their numbers are almost identical.

Zack Thomas
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomZa01.htm

Ray Lewis
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiRa00.htm

WVDolphan
A couple of years late but, at least he went home without completely blowing another year.

Good for Zach. Im glad he didnt reduce himself to playing with those scrubs in KC this year. It was bad enough seeing him with the Cowboys last season.

DzakkH13
One of my favorite players in the NFL, ever. He is a true hero to all Miami fans and is proof that you don't have to be the biggest, the strongest, or the fastest to play this game. All you need is smarts and heart. Zach was the definition of HEART and I will truely miss seeing him lining up on Sundays. Congrats Zach on a stellar career in the NFL and give your self a break. The way you've played, you could use one.

GO PHINS!

Ilovemyfins4eva
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
wish zach all the best. great linebacker and teamate for us for many years. i think hes going into the hall as a chief.

ryanosaur2000
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Really sad to see him retire. My favourite player of all time, he was such a pro and never a big mouth.

It's such a pity he did not finish his career a Dolphin.

Good luck with the future Zach and thanks for everything.

Wildbill3
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
wish zach all the best. great linebacker and teamate for us for many years. i think hes going into the hall as a chief.??? IF he goes into the hall it'll be as a dolphin.

Sirspud
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm really glad Zack is admitting to himself now, before the season starts, that he doesn't have what it takes. While there have been plenty of stars who played past their prime and didn't really tarnish their legacy as we always remember them for their heyday (except for Brett Favre), I think it means just that much more when a player steps out like this.

Looking forward to seeing #54 hanging in the stadium as he was the first real Dolphin legend to completely happen during my lifetime, as Dan was going before I was even born.

SpurzN703
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
One of my favorite players in the NFL, ever. He is a true hero to all Miami fans and is proof that you don't have to be the biggest, the strongest, or the fastest to play this game. All you need is smarts and heart. Zach was the definition of HEART and I will truely miss seeing him lining up on Sundays. Congrats Zach on a stellar career in the NFL and give your self a break. The way you've played, you could use one.

GO PHINS!

One of my favorite players too. Hell I remember his rookie year in 1996 like it was yesterday.

Adam First
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

We can't thank you enough, Zach. Congrats on a great career.

PALMA
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
If not for Dave Wannstedt, Zach would have had the career they are celebrating today for Tedy Bruschi.

Thanks for the memories and effort. It was easier being a fan for a team that featured players like Zach.

Adam First
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Hold the phone:

According to Drew Rosenhaus's Twitter, Zach isn't retiring

http://twitter.com/RosenhausSports/status/3676720451

MadDog 88
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
The one play that stands out for me is at the end of a playoff or playoff deciding game (don't recall which one) the teams lined up for the QB kneel when Zach got flagged offsides for trying to time the center snap and cause a fumble. He played hard every game and every down.

Dolphins7273
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
I'll never forget meeting him for the first time. One of my all-time favs.

Dr. Phin
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
He's NOT retiring guys...internet rumor...

He should...but he is not...

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2009/08/miami-dolphins-zach-thomas-not-retiring.html

CaptainQuint
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
One of the reasons I started really following the Dolphins when I was a kid. I'll never forget the Tennessee game where he caught the interception and flipped into the end zone. He about hurt himself in the process as well.

DolfanDuBbZ~
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Super Fast Small White Guy...at MLB. Loved his grit, knowledge and heart. The guy could play the game. Hated seeing him in DAL and don't like seeing that KC red on him.

Dolfan5000
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Well I guess he's not retiring but I wasn't surprised when I saw the title. Zach is my favorite player ever and I wish him the best in whatever he wants to do.

Ilovemyfins4eva
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
??? IF he goes into the hall it'll be as a dolphin.
i was kidding with the chiefs obviously lol.

TheDon74
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
He's NOT retiring guys...internet rumor...

He should...but he is not...

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2009/08/miami-dolphins-zach-thomas-not-retiring.html

Why should he? He played all 16 last year and was second on the team in tackles. Sounds like he still has some gas left in the tank if he wanted to strap it up.

23EmilioVasquez
08-31-2009, 09:51 PM
hope he comes home soon

napsndreds
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
zach thomas one of my favorite dolphin..

dreday
08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Hopefully isn't the end..Barney Rubble has always been one of my all-times favorites!

209Mason
08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Why should he? He played all 16 last year and was second on the team in tackles. Sounds like he still has some gas left in the tank if he wanted to strap it up.

Is he availible??? :D After the last few preseason games... one thing that sticks out is that we clearly need some help stopping the run! We should have gotten him sent back as part of the deal for for Alleman, Ndukwe when we sent them over to the Chiefs!

Roman529
08-31-2009, 11:06 PM
wish zach all the best. great linebacker and teamate for us for many years. i think hes going into the hall as a chief.

I think you all need to stop confusing the NFL with Major League Baseball.....no NFL player goes into the NFL Hall of Fame with a particular team. :rolleyes2:

*Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, all of an inductee's affiliations are listed equally.[6] (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/#cite_note-SelectionProcessFAQ-5) While the Baseball Hall of Fame (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/National_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_and_Museum) plaques generally depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap (with a few exceptions, such as Catfish Hunter (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/Catfish_Hunter)), the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee make no reference to any specific team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame

Dr. Phin
08-31-2009, 11:29 PM

He is in a position where he should make a lot of tackles, so it is not surprising he would be second on the team. However, in the past he regularly had over 150 tackles...last year, only 94. Some would say, "he was playing out of position", but that is a cop-out IMO.

Did you watch him last year? He has clearly lost a step and did not play well at all.

Zach played at a very high level over his career, and I don't want to see him end up being forced out...which is where he is headed...

Roman529
08-31-2009, 11:40 PM
I think Zach could still be effective against the run but he has a hard time staying with tight ends and running backs coming out of the backfield on pass plays. When he was in his prime he could run sideline to sideline and make tackles but I know he cannot do this on every down. It would be nice to see him in a Dolphin's uniform again. My favorite jersey is my authentic teal green #54 Zach Thomas jersey....I have it in a laundromat plastic bag in my closet and it will stay there forever.

By the way, Happy 36th Birthday Zach!!!!!!!!!

HurriPhin
09-01-2009, 04:16 AM

Adam Schefter, next stop... Hall of Shame.