PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite author?

Blackocrates
09-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I have a hard time choosing between Fitzgerald and Hemingway. They're both amazing but have completely different styles and write about different things. I like the fact that they wrote at the same time and were friends. If I had to pick between the two I'd say, Fitzgerald.

My three favorite books by Fitzgerald are; This Side of Paradise (my favorite), The Beautiful and Damned, and The Great Gatsby.

My three favorite books from Hemingway are; The Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

They both also have amazing short stories.

poornate
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm such a dorky reader... I tend to not remember fiction very well (even though I agree that Hemingway leaves an indelible mark and is unforgettable). I read so much non-fiction (history) that sticks in my mind though... unfortunately, the job, kids, school, etc... have made reading a missed but abandoned part of my life... i went from reading 50ish books a year to around 10 since 2005...

TheDon74
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Carl Hiaasen, Dean Koontz, Elmore Leonard, Mark Twain (although I find his way of writing accents destacting) and Hunter S. Thompson along with many more.

Rafiki
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Martin Amis as a contemporary. For classic literature, I'd have to say John Milton. Shakespeare is good too, but the fact that you need a middle-modern English translator makes it not as fun to read.

ryanosaur2000
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Haruki Muakami for me. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is an amazing read.

Slim
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Hands down Malcolm Gladwell.

BobDole
03-13-2010, 01:48 AM
leon uris for me on this one.

CedarPhin
03-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Jordan Belfort.

Arsenal WV
03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
John Grisham

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Hemmingway. I skew towards American authors, but at the same time I find Fitzgerald to be self consumed and tiresome to read. He just wears me out. He's like Clancy in that way. It's just ****ing exausting to read Clancy. Hemmingway is very earthy and real.

I will say I also enjoy Douglas Adams

O. Henry keeps a place in my heart;
For there lay The Combs--the set of combs, side and back, that Della had worshipped long in a Broadway window. Beautiful combs, pure tortoise shell, with jewelled rims--just the shade to wear in the beautiful vanished hair. They were expensive combs, she knew, and her heart had simply craved and yearned over them without the least hope of possession. And now, they were hers, but the tresses that should have adorned the coveted adornments were gone.
But she hugged them to her bosom, and at length she was able to look up with dim eyes and a smile and say: "My hair grows so fast, Jim!"
And them Della leaped up like a little singed cat and cried, "Oh, oh!"
Jim had not yet seen his beautiful present. She held it out to him eagerly upon her open palm. The dull precious metal seemed to flash with a reflection of her bright and ardent spirit.
"Isn't it a dandy, Jim? I hunted all over town to find it. You'll have to look at the time a hundred times a day now. Give me your watch. I want to see how it looks on it."
Instead of obeying, Jim tumbled down on the couch and put his hands under the back of his head and smiled.
"Dell," said he, "let's put our Christmas presents away and keep 'em a while. They're too nice to use just at present. I sold the watch to get the money to buy your combs. And now suppose you put the chops on."

Gift Of The Magi makes me cry at the end just like ol' Yeller.

Not a bit ashamed to say it either.

Vaark
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm down with The Don on Hiaasen and Leonard. Additionally, I'd add James Lee Burke, T. Jefferson Parker and Michael Connelly, also prolific authors whose work have withstood the test of time, if not getting even better, and who never disappoint!

sinPHIN
06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
richard matheson. wrote i am ledgend, stir of echos, what dreams may come.

Mr_Freezetag
06-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Chuck Palahniuk for me.

His books have always pointed out interesting facets about society that rings true in many ways in my eyes. The dude gets involved with his writing to the point where you can't help but notice how much first hand experience and research goes into his work. I'm currently reading "Rant" which has an awesome narration throughout the book.

"People don't want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown."

Also I would like to throw Paulo Coelho's name out there. I've only read one of his books ("The Alchemist") but plan to read more. I love that story. My sisters swears by most of his other books. Simple reads consisting of nothing complex, but well worth it.

I need to read more...

Gonzo
06-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Hemingway, HST, James Joyce, Umberto Eco, and Stephen King. Actually, I'll put King first, because if it wasn't for his books when I was a kid, I never would have read any of the others.

Bumpus
06-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Stephen King. Gerald's Game got me started down his twisted path.

I'd also have to add George Orwell.

Bumpus
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
... And how could anyone forget Ian Fleming - the creator of the greatest character of all time!

Cloudy
08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Neil Gaiman
David Farland
George Orwell
Phillip K. Dick
Chuck Palahniuk
Elaine Cunningham

JCane
08-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Micheal Lewis (wrote Moneyball...the best sports book ever written)
Malcolm Gladwell (Blink, Outliers)

Possum
08-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Micheal Lewis (wrote Moneyball...the best sports book ever written)
Malcolm Gladwell (Blink, Outliers)

I agree.

sorry had too. book was very good. never heard of billy beane till that book. i wish the marlins could learn some plate disciplant.

JCane
08-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Billy Beane is a baseball pioneer. He understood this **** back in the 1980's. Just incredible. What's sad is that Bill James gets the bulk of the credit for all of this sabermetrics stuff flying around today. Granted he did coin the term and bring it to the public's eye, Billy Beane was the mastermind behind the idea of using those numbers to determine the true value of a player.

KDog13
11-09-2010, 06:04 AM
I wish I knew how to read :(

WeVie
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I gotta go with Stephen King.

PortFin
01-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Very nice, interesting thread. I'm a big reader, and my favorite author is without a doubt Ernest Hemingway. I couldn't agree more with the OP's favorite Hemingway books, as The Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, and especially For Whom The Bell Tolls (maybe my favorite book) are my three favorites by him.

I'm also a big fan of some of Coetzee's stuff (especially Disgrace), Joyce Carol Oates (mostly her short stories), some Fitzgerald, and Nabokov. I read a lot of history as well, as I have a history degree. Depending on the subject and the way it is written I sometimes prefer those to fiction. Depends on my mood I guess.

Recently finished "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London, and enjoyed it more than I expected to.

cbreeden
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind. (WoT, WFR - both are series)

Tunaphish429
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
R.L. Stine...Goosebumps

DisturbedShifty
02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I read mostly science fiction so mine will pertain mostly to the genre. So here are a list of my favorites.

Dean Kootnz
Timothy Zahn
Eric Nylund
J.R.R Tolkien
J.K. Rawlings
Karen Traviss

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Dingleberry
05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Richard Yates is my favorite author. He's unrelenting.

Knut Hamsun wrote the greatest novel of all time, "Hunger," but didn't sustain it and in fact went sort of crazy. Also a big fan of Charles Bukowski, especially his earlier novels, and John Fante's short stories and his novel "Ask the Dust" (avoid the movie, though, it's terrible).

Whitedolphin54
05-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Simon Scarrow for his Eagle series, Bernard Cornwell and Ken Follett

cmax13
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
i like a lot of what was already mentioned, but i also like clive cussler in all the various branches, dirk pitt, kurt austin, oregon files. i like lee child with his jack reacher series, i like tess geritson, james patterson, steven king, dean koontz, elmore leonard and carl hiaasen. i have even found the harry potter stuff to be enjoyable, my kids turned me on to that. plus too many more to name.

reading is so much better than movies, i hardly watch movies these days, i've read the books and the movies just suck, in my opinion.

basically, if it keeps me turning pages, it's good!