PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing a virus

Win Fin Fin
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
My girlfriend has gotten a virus on her computer, I believe the name of it is "Privacy Center". It pops up these fake anti-virus adds and tries to get me to buy their bogus product.

I have done some research on this issue and have found some suggestions for fixing this problem but none of them seem to work. One fix is to download a real anti-virus program to find and remove the problem, but I have downloaded several and it it seems like the virus is blocking them from running. Another fix is to go "Processes" under the task manager and find the bogus file and remove it. The problem here is that the file is not named "Privacy Center" or "PC" or anything like that, I assume the virus maker has named it something less obvious.

If anyone has any information regarding this issue it would be MUCH appreciated!

GO DOLPHINS!!

Finfang
09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Download Malwarebytes from this location

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Make sure you run it in safe mode. To get to safe mode press F8 continuosly when you reboot.

Also do not run more than one anti-virus program at one time as these will conflict and create more problems.

Make sure everything is up to date.

Finfang
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Just to give you a heads up "Privacy Center" is a rogue anti-virus program.

When attempting to clean up virus issues please be careful what you download. There are programs out there that will trick you.

As far as safe anti-virus programs I would suggest Avast or AVG. Both programs are free.

If you need more help please respond.