PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky High School Coach Gets Players Baptized

BAMAPHIN 22
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The actions of a Kentucky high school football coach have been questioned after he took nearly two dozen players on a field trip to an evangelist church service where nearly half the kids were baptized.

"It was completely voluntary," Meeks told ABCNews.com, noting that of the team's 46 players, about 20 elected to go on the trip. Of those attendees, nine were baptized.

"They didn't get anything for attending," she said. "They didn't get anything for not attending."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-high-school-football-coach-takes-players-baptized/story?id=8516661

HansMojo
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-high-school-football-coach-takes-players-baptized/story?id=8516661

Praise God that some kids gave their hearts to Jesus! That is always great news for me. :up:

However, IMHO, the coach could have and should have figured out a way to make sure all the parents knew about the trip and gave their blessing before taking them. For example, religious clubs are allowed on campus (as long as they are student driven) and this could have probably been handled through a religious club that the coach sponsored or helped sponsor. I don't understand why a person would choose to do it this way and get everyone's panties all up in a bunch especially if it wasn't necessary? One of the football coaches at my school is a pastor and he sponsors a religious club on campus and a lot of kids at the school go to his church. He is able to minister to the kids while staying within the law.

I'm a parent, a Christian, and a public high school teacher and I would be upset if my kids were taken on a trip that I didn't know about...religious or otherwise.

WSE
09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I dont think I even need to say church and state- its rather obvious

I dont care if it was voluntary- it showed preference to a certain religion. Did he to gp to temples and mosques?

coach should be fired. no place for that in high school athletics.

SpurzN703
09-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I have no problem with the baptism but why is the coach involved in this at all? Even if they all shared the same beliefs, it isn't his place to be involved in this sort of thing.

poornate
09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
In the school day? Fire him. After school with parental consent? Probably fine... I don't think that adult sponsored religion should be permissable in school in any incarnation during school hours... it is no different than businesses entering the school to solicit new customers... that is not what students are there for...

HansMojo
09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
In the school day? Fire him. After school with parental consent? Probably fine... I don't think that adult sponsored religion should be permissable in school in any incarnation during school hours... it is no different than businesses entering the school to solicit new customers... that is not what students are there for...

Based on the article and the comments that come after it, it's my understanding that this was done on a Sunday (outside of school hours) and was not a school sponsored event. But I can't understand why all the parents didn't know and why the coach didn't make sure all the parents approved. As a parent, I just think that was very inappropriate for him to take the kids anywhere without parental permission.

As someone who supports the separation of church and state, I also wonder how the trip was organized and advertised to the students. But I support the idea of student driven religious clubs at public schools that have adult advisors (I said sponsor earlier, but that is inaccurate) and this is allowed under the law. I would hope that the kids advertised/organized the event and the coach just took them...but it isn't clear from the article.

emeraldfin
09-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Very odd thing to do, especially without the consent of the parents. But I dont think the article tells us a whole lot about the organisation of the event and what the players and the coach thought.

Could be just alot of fuss over noting really.

GoonBoss
09-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Unacceptable.

GoonBoss
09-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Based on the article and the comments that come after it, it's my understanding that this was done on a Sunday (outside of school hours) and was not a school sponsored event. But I can't understand why all the parents didn't know and why the coach didn't make sure all the parents approved. As a parent, I just think that was very inappropriate for him to take the kids anywhere without parental permission.

As someone who supports the separation of church and state, I also wonder how the trip was organized and advertised to the students. But I support the idea of student driven religious clubs at public schools that have adult advisors (I said sponsor earlier, but that is inaccurate) and this is allowed under the law. I would hope that the kids advertised/organized the event and the coach just took them...but it isn't clear from the article.

Coaches and teachers are the custodians of our children in our absence. Breach of trust is unacceptable.

I would be pretty close to unhinged if any coach did this kind of bull****. If the school was or was not involved...It's just a matter of who I name in the lawsuit.

Dolphan7
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree with Hans. The coach could have handled it better.

poornate
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM

I think this is a bit of a sore spot because I am livid over a Baptist preacher being in my cafeteria for the last week, under the guise of his school sanctioned bible club, trying to drum up business for his church, witnessing... it is inappropriate... shouldn't school be a respite from this type of social pressure?

HansMojo
09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I think this is a bit of a sore spot because I am livid over a Baptist preacher being in my cafeteria for the last week, under the guise of his school sanctioned bible club, trying to drum up business for his church, witnessing... it is inappropriate... shouldn't school be a respite from this type of social pressure?
I would probably need more information before deciding how I feel about this. But I definitely do support religious clubs at school as long as they operate outside of classroom time, are student driven, and do not coerce attendance or penalize students in any way who do not wish to attend. But then again, I also support gay clubs, pagan clubs, cat lover clubs, cat hater clubs, etc. as long as they all follow the same rules. I believe in student expression and fairness for all groups within a public school. Now if the Baptist preacher was speaking at assembly, or in the caf when students were trying to eat lunch, well then I would have to agree with you...especially since I'm not Baptist. :chuckle: