PDA

View Full Version : Not a Reveiw, but a Request

poornate
09-13-2009, 12:53 AM
I have to do a refectionaire on a book that highlights culture, cross-culturalism, multi-culturalism, etc... for a grad class I am in... the professor threw out around 6 suggestions, every one of which I have read (Poisonwood Bible, 1000 Splendid Suns, Kite Runner, Angela's Ashes, etc.)... I want to read something new AND really good, because I have no time for reading... any suggestions in the vein of what I have listed above? (I am in the fiction/popular literature group, btw)

Rafiki
09-13-2009, 01:59 AM
I found Garcia Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold to be a rich, cultural examination of some important social themes. Then again, this may be an over-examined work.

poornate
09-13-2009, 02:10 AM
It hasn't been over examined by me, as I have never read it. I have read Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude and, despite a preference for the latter, enjoyed them both immensely... thanks! Any more?

Rafiki
09-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey? This deals with environmentalism (a hot culture topic) in a militant but poetic way. I thought he was very witty but ideologically repressed.

I'm not really versed in multi-culturalism. I've read loads of feminist works (for some reason our teachers at ISU favor them).

poornate
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I was told that the Marquez book would be unsuitable because of length and the elements my professor called "fantastical", but which i know to be magical realism... I wish i could stumble on something before this weekend...

Rafiki
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I was told that the Marquez book would be unsuitable because of length and the elements my professor called "fantastical", but which i know to be magical realism... I wish i could stumble on something before this weekend...

Chronicle of a Death Foretold doesn't have fantastical elements...

I don't know what your professor is smoking; the book reads like a crime investigation, no mystical things at all.

Maybe "My Antonia" by Cather? It deals with immigrants arriving in Nebraska at about the turn of the twentieth century.

That's cross cultural, right?

Gonzo
09-27-2009, 03:10 AM
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (not sure if you can use it, but saw Angela's Ashes on there)

Not sure if any will qualify, but all are great books.