PDA

View Full Version : 7 weeks of unemployment

PhinzN703
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I was laid off on July 31, a Friday, a few minutes before 5PM. Since then I have spoken with a ton of recruiters and had some leads but so far nothing has happened.

I haven't had much time at all to create any requested signatures or avatars for this site so for that I do apologize. When I do get a job, I will start that up again.

If anything I just wanted to get this off my chest. A little FH good karma is always better than nothing

Chubby
09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Throwing some Karma your way, may you find a job fast and with good pay :)

Slim
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
My girlfriend has been jobless for 3 months now. I know how stressful this can be... Good luck!

Dolfan3773
09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Good luck man, that unemployed feeling sucks

HansMojo
09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear you got laid off man. That sucks. Good luck and be sure to let us know when you get good news.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Hope it picks up for you soon man. I just got a job as a bartender for some extra cash.

GoonBoss
09-18-2009, 04:59 AM
All I can say is that I feel your pain. I stumbled into a good job. Just don't give up hope.

Dolfan81
09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
i know the feeling been jobless for a month now, and it really sucks

PhinzN703
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

What I hate the most is just waiting for that phone call or email to come. I rack my brain wondering when/if I will ever get contacted.

:crazy:

poornate
09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I was laid off on July 31, a Friday, a few minutes before 5PM. Since then I have spoken with a ton of recruiters and had some leads but so far nothing has happened.

What is your field?

HansMojo
09-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

What I hate the most is just waiting for that phone call or email to come. I rack my brain wondering when/if I will ever get contacted.

:crazy:

I imagine you are already doing this, but if you don't hear back within a reasonable time, and without being overly aggressive, it is sometimes a good idea to follow up with a friendly phone call and ask if they have any questions about your resume, and to reiterate your interest in setting up an interview, etc. Of course, this can also piss off a hiring manager, but if you aren't hearing back it might be a good idea. Here's a page about this with people both arguing for and against a follow up call or email:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/howtofollowup/a/resumefollow.htm

Hang in there man. You'll find something. :up:

Ricky4Life
09-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Good luck with the search.

Bumpus
09-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow. I didn't realize that the collapse of the RDS empire would have such a domino effect on the economy. :(

In all seriousness, though ... Keep your head up, bro. It'll happen. The smart ones always land on their feet. :up:

PhinzN703
09-19-2009, 02:33 PM
What is your field?

Graphic Design

poornate
09-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I know some people... I worked sales at a lot of places... I know I don't know you from Adam, but it's a tough market... as I talk to people I'll try to see if anywhere is hiring.... Do you do any web development stuff? Mantech is currently on a hiring freeze, but should be adding some folks in web development very soon... there GD and WD departments are combined...

Findetta
09-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Just stay positive man. Here are some tips:
Target a company. See if you can find out who the hiring manager is, not just HR. Get your resume to them. Follow up and make sure they got it. Follow up a week later to let them know you are still interested. What does your resume look like? The average resume is read in 7 seconds if its read at all. Your resume changes with each position you apply for. If you can see the job requirements and you meet or exceed them put them at the top of your resume. Your being in Graphic design, do include samples along with your resume. Create an easily accessible portfolio. Finding a job is a full time job. Network, network, and network. Try Indeed.com it pulls jobs form monster and such and puts them in one place.
Stay positive and don't stop looking. It is your job to find a job.

PhinzN703
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I have my *** covered when it comes to resume and my own web site. I know I will find something soon. The time up until then is when I **** my pants as I'm sure everyone can understand.

finfan01
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear man. Hope you find something soon!