PDA

View Full Version : Ot: The Canes Are Back.....

mia4ever
09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I would love to have ...

Harris
Cooper
Byrd
Bailey on our team........

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/09/miami-1.jpg

rob19
09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
OT indeed...

phinphan4life
09-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Their offense looked extremely impressive. Jacory Harris is the real deal. I like Travis Benjamin too. That kid has speed to burn.

R_t_Kraken
09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Didn't see the game, but good for the Canes. Glad to see them starting out so well.

chupacabra
09-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Should we reserve judgement until they actually play someone? Florida State is obviously not very good and the same can probably be said of Tech. At this point of the season it is nearly impossible to tell if anyone is good until a few more games are played. exactly the reason they need to get rid of these pre season rankings that are always blown apart in the first couple weeks of the season. That being said, Miami did look pretty good in their first two games. Im just not sure that constitutes them being "back".

JCane
09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
LMAO @ "Reserve judgment until we play someone."

Hold up....weren't we supposed to begin the season 0 - 4? I'm not saying Florida State and Georgia Tech are all that because so far they've proven otherwise in my opinion, but the fact still remains that we've beaten two ranked teams. One of those teams was a bitter rival and we beat them on the road. It doesn't matter how good Florida State is when they play Miami because they're coming to hit us in the mouth every time the ball is snapped.

Give these baby 'Canes some credit. This offense is scoring at will and I don't think we've even began to click yet. I'm not concerned with beating "someone." I'm concerned with beating the next team listed on the schedule and we'll go from there.

TedSlimmJr
09-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Should we reserve judgement until they actually play someone? Florida State is obviously not very good and the same can probably be said of Tech. At this point of the season it is nearly impossible to tell if anyone is good until a few more games are played. exactly the reason they need to get rid of these pre season rankings that are always blown apart in the first couple weeks of the season. That being said, Miami did look pretty good in their first two games. Im just not sure that constitutes them being "back".

I have to agree....

I'm still not sold on FSU....and although Miami won on the scoreboard...they didn't BEAT FSU on the football field....I don't see any seperation in those two teams...

Miami just ****ing BEAT Georgia Tech....on the scoreboard and on the football field...

Whipple has turned that offense into a smooth running, grass eating, point scoring machine...

But it's how incredibly easy they're making it look that is really impressive...Jacory Harris has come out on fire right out of the gate in both games and led them to touchdowns....and maintains it pretty much the entire game.....somebody needs to check that kids I.D...there's no way he's a sophomore....

I watched that offense for the past 5 years or so have to literally battle tooth and nail just to scrounge up a first down....

The only thing Miami is lacking right now is the killer instinct....finishing off an opponent in the 4th quarter...which is what my Tide lacked last year.....but not this year...

Canes should cruise to the Coastal crown this year with a win over VT....

I thought this team would struggle to find 1-3 through these first 4 games....figured they'd look just like they have for the past 5 years....

This isn't the Canes of the past 5 years....I think they can beat Oklahoma at home if Bradford still isn't healthy....

They did exactly what LSU did to that GT offense last year....attack it...

Congrats Canes.....college football is pleased to have them back....

Kdawg954
09-18-2009, 12:48 AM
2-0 baby . . . looking for that 3-0 next week. Let's get it done in Blacksburg.

Ferretsquig
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
LMAO @ "Reserve judgment until we play someone."

Hold up....weren't we supposed to begin the season 0 - 4? I'm not saying Florida State and Georgia Tech are all that because so far they've proven otherwise in my opinion, but the fact still remains that we've beaten two ranked teams.

That's why we reserve judgment.....they aren't ranked teams. GT has been thoroughly outplayed two weeks in a row. They just happened to win the first game.

Its hard to blame the pollsters....they're giving the fans what they want. But not even the coaches know how good their team is this early in the season.

TheDon74
09-18-2009, 01:15 AM
If we go to VT and beat them in their house, I smell top 12. We beat Oklahoma then we could be looking at top 5 or 6. Then we just ride out and let the rest lose 1 or 2 and who knows what could happen?

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Looking ahead way too much, but what if we ran the table?

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 01:54 AM
That's why we reserve judgment.....they aren't ranked teams. GT has been thoroughly outplayed two weeks in a row. They just happened to win the first game.

Its hard to blame the pollsters....they're giving the fans what they want. But not even the coaches know how good their team is this early in the season.

??? :crazy: Uh, yeah they were were ranked teams (18 & 14, respectively) & GT was 2-0 so how did they just happen to win thier first when they won the 1st and 2nd. Also Shannon knows how good his team is.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM

We'd possibly get that rematch vs the ga*tors that they didn't want until 2013 :chuckle:

TedSlimmJr
09-18-2009, 02:01 AM

I think Baylor could run the table in the ACC.....:lol:

Seriously though....I still don't think it would get them in the NC game....you'd have a win over a 2 loss Oklahoma team...and a 2 loss VT team....GT has at least 1 more loss in front of them....as does FSU....

The rest of the teams in the ACC don't count for much at all....

I think there's at least 4 or 5 teams in the SEC that would run the table in the ACC....

Somebody is coming out of the SEC undefeated....1 team.....either Bama or Florida....the loser of the SEC Championship Game between these two is still going to be a top 3 or 4 team....unless

Penn St. could run the table in the Big-10....they'd have a win over a 2 loss Ohio St. team....

USC could run the table.....Texas....both those teams would have to lose at least 1 game....Texas would have a win over a 3 loss Oklahoma team if Miami beat them and a 2 loss Oklahoma St. team that lost to unranked Houston....

**** I'm dizzy already....

Don't ever ask me **** like that again....:lol:

TheDon74
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM

Well obviously the ACC is in the BSC so a big bowl would be a given. As far as the big game, that would depend on the Big 12, SEC champ + USC. If any 2 of these are undefeated then the U is out of luck.

I think Florida and USC run the table and Miami is on the outside looking in. In the end Miami will have a harder schedule then USC but started way to low to over take them in the polls.

If only one of these other teams go undefeated then it should be an all Florida championship game!

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 02:30 AM
I'd hope for an Orange Bowl game against OSU* or BYU/Boise State.

Entertaining games they'd be.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 02:31 AM
The game that really worries me at this point is the UNC game...especially with it being up there.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Well obviously the ACC is in the BSC so a big bowl would be a given. As far as the big game, that would depend on the Big 12, SEC champ + USC. If any 2 of these are undefeated then the U is out of luck.

I think Florida and USC run the table and Miami is on the outside looking in. In the end Miami will have a harder schedule then USC but started way to low to over take them in the polls.

If only one of these other teams go undefeated then it should be an all Florida championship game!

Agreed, except how wouldn't we (the U)have a harder schedule than the ga*tors. They've got the worn out SEC argument but they play some of the worst teams in their conference (besides if they beat Bama in the SEC Champ) and their OOC schedule is a joke.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 02:45 AM
The game that really worries me at this point is the UNC game...especially with it being up there.

I think we have a great team developing right now and we'll get better every week, but there's no way I can look any further than VT in Lane stadium. Bama is a very very good team and the hookers gave them a good run for their money. So despite VT's one loss it came against a top team. But yes, I have much respect for Butch Davis' program.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Well yeah, I don't think we should overlook even the weakest opponent (except maybe FAMU)...VT's going to be tough, as is OU, but later on down the road, the game that scares me is UNC.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Agreed, except how wouldn't we (the U)have a harder schedule than the ga*tors. They've got the worn out SEC argument but they play some of the worst teams in their conference (besides if they beat Bama in the SEC Champ) and their OOC schedule is a joke.

UiF doesn't even get Ole Miss this year. The toughest team they play is probably LSU.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 03:09 AM
LSU will be be the University of Felons "hardest" game by a long shot and possibly their only ranked opponent they play during the regular season as I don't see the bullcats being in the top 25 come Halloween. lame :rolleyes2:.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Is that game in Death Valley this year?

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Yeah at least it's @ LSU

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 03:22 AM
You never know, LSU could pull off an upset.

I'd personally like to see a USC-UiF title game if both made it undefeated.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Hey Cedarphin I know you were never high on Shannon as a head coach but at least he made some great hires in OC and DC. :up:

I think it leaves him to "control" the team as far as discipline is concerned and recruit like a mad man. great start to the season so far.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm not really a fan of some of the things he does, like his roster management at times, but if he can get the right people around him, and can bring in the good recruits, and win...then I don't have a problem.

Winning cures all ills.

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 03:26 AM
If the ga*tors knock off LSU, Im not sure they make it past Bama. It'll be their first real game all season. USC and UF would be an intriguing matchup but im pulling for Texas b/c im not sure if USC takes it all with Barkley as a freshman.

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Texas is an iffy team, but they are every season. Bama-UiF might be a pretty solid game. Bama's D is better this year, and the Gators don't have Harvin, so it might be fairly even.

It'll be interesting to watch.

finsheatcanes
09-18-2009, 03:58 AM
what should we be ranked now? we just beat 19, and 15....i say top 10..maybe lower.. no other top rank team has played the 1st two games vs top rank teams...and beating them with style ...give it to them they earn it

CedarPhin
09-18-2009, 04:04 AM
We won't be top 10. I see somewhere in the 13-15 range, depending on what happens this weekend.

finsheatcanes
09-18-2009, 04:27 AM
every other top rank teams 1st two games were cup cakes... we played 19,15 and we got another two top rank teams ahead ...canes earn a nice spot right now

TedSlimmJr
09-18-2009, 04:28 AM
I think Florida is going to roll LSU....

John Chavous is running a very vanilla defense.....Sarkisian exposed that "Cover 2" on opening weekend.....did you see all those yards Washington racked up against them both on the ground and in the air? lol

Matt Barkley is going to be great....hell I already knew that....but I don't think USC can win it all with a freshman quarterback....nobody can...

In fact....I wouldn't be surprised if Washington beat them...

Miami should probably come out somewhere around #15 depending on what happens Saturday....

I think the Oklahoma game will give a more accurate assessment of Miami....I'd like to see them against a ranked team that's non-ACC...

HurriPhin
09-18-2009, 04:57 AM
I don't see us being ranked any higher than #13 (my guess is #14) barring any major upsets on Sat. Maybe we could have squeaked into the top 10 but Shannon has a lot more class than some other coaches out there and choose not to run up the score against GT, like you'll see from a certain Urban Meyer Wiener, just to belittle a team and stroke his ego.

finsheatcanes
09-18-2009, 05:06 AM
i also saw that and gave him props for kickin the field goal, i like how they replied that hit over and over on the big screen though that was kind of funny

chrisbaucom
09-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Beating 2 ranked teams to start the season is a pretty impressive start. Reserve Judgement??? All the excuses have been flowing in like crazy.....oh Florida State's defense is not that good, GA Tech will be a real test. Oh wait, GA tech is overrated too, the real test will be Oklahoma. Let's just say the Canes can somehow beat Oklahoma....what's the excuse then, uhhhhhh Bradford was banged up. Give me a break, as much as the rest of college football fans hate to admit it, Miami is on the rise!!!

Kdawg954
09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Best way for UM to get to the BCS Title game:

Go Undefeated
USC beating Cal, but losing to Notre Dame
Ohio State running the table the rest of the way (beating Penn State and Michigan)
Oklahoma beating Texas
The SEC will knock out each other . . . meaning UF will face the Ole Miss/LSU/Bama West champ.
FSU beating BYU this weekend.

End of the year ranking before Bowl season:

1. Florida (SEC champ)
2. Miami (FL) (ACC champ)
3. Ohio State (Big 10 champ)
4. Boise State
5. Alabama
6. USC (Pac 10 champ)
7. Texas
8. Penn State
9. Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)
10. Ole Miss

Orange Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Texas
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Boise State
Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs. USC
Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Penn State
BCS Title Game: Florida vs. Miami

TedSlimmJr
09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Beating 2 ranked teams to start the season is a pretty impressive start. Reserve Judgement??? All the excuses have been flowing in like crazy.....oh Florida State's defense is not that good, GA Tech will be a real test. Oh wait, GA tech is overrated too, the real test will be Oklahoma. Let's just say the Canes can somehow beat Oklahoma....what's the excuse then, uhhhhhh Bradford was banged up. Give me a break, as much as the rest of college football fans hate to admit it, Miami is on the rise!!!

That's the point....you have to prove yourself every week....

Ask Oklahoma...Oklahoma St...Ohio St...

FSU and GT might not even be ranked by seasons end.....it happens....

You don't get the chance to prove yourself every week playing an ACC schedule....

You think Miami would have WR's running wide open all over the field and a quarterback sitting back there under no pressure against one of these SEC defenses? lol

I thought Miami would've learned that in 1992....ask Lamar Thomas...:lol:

Miami is on the rise...and it's great for college football....but I wouldn't get too cocky yet...

Hell...if I was Randy Shannon...I'd just be happy about winning two games in a row....ranked teams or not...

Namor
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey..Ted...
I sure feel old ,seeing how old and fat, Gino looked on the sidelines.
He's still trying to figure those coverages Bama threw at him in 92.

TedSlimmJr
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Tell me about it....lol

It was good to see Gino...

...almost didn't recognize him though....

I don't know if it was because of the weight or because I wasn't used to seeing him without Curry and Copeland all over him...lol

DolphinMistress
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
That was a GREAT game last night... My Congrats to UM...

Ferretsquig
09-18-2009, 02:07 PM
??? :crazy: Uh, yeah they were were ranked teams (18 & 14, respectively) & GT was 2-0 so how did they just happen to win thier first when they won the 1st and 2nd. Also Shannon knows how good his team is.

That's why we speak in present rather than past tense.

kpcane
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
That's why we speak in present rather than past tense.

You can't beat a ranked team early in the season and STILL expect them to be ranked, especially if you're unranked.

I think the spin on this has been incredible. We're expected to be 0-4, but then when we beat the first two teams, they were overrated. If FSU beats BYU this weekend, expect us to be somewhere near the top 10, a ranking we would clearly deserve. Va Tech will be tough, but if we can get past them, it's going to set up a huge matchup against Oklahoma. I really don't see how we couldn't be ranked in the top 5 if we went 4-0 to start this season.

chrisbaucom
09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I think the Bama fans need to get a room......

Namor
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I think the Bama fans need to get a room......

Please explain...
I'm a Bama grad and love SEC football.
the Canes are my second favorite college team (remember a Bama
man built the canes football program)
Been a Dolphins fan since 1970.
My room is wherever good fans talk about football.

HurriPhin
09-19-2009, 06:24 AM
You don't get the chance to prove yourself every week playing an ACC schedule....

Give it up. I'll give it to the SEC that they have 2 great teams in F******, Bama, and 2 very good teams in LSU and Miss, but the rest of your conference is average just like every other.

You think Miami would have WR's running wide open all over the field and a quarterback sitting back there under no pressure against one of these SEC defenses? lol

The U wouldn't have a problem with any of your SEC defenses other than the four mentioned above and even with those four we'd still put up an impressive fight.

TedSlimmJr
09-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Give it up. I'll give it to the SEC that they have 2 great teams in F******, Bama, and 2 very good teams in LSU and Miss, but the rest of your conference is average just like every other.

The U wouldn't have a problem with any of your SEC defenses other than the four mentioned above and even with those four we'd still put up an impressive fight.

Honestly....I don't think Jacory Harris (and I really like this kid) would see the 4th quarter against Bama's defense....

Tyrod Taylor was lucky he was able to finish the game....and halfway through the 4th you could look at his face and tell he'd had enough....

But...we're dealing with hypotheticals here...

The facts are a 1-AA (JSU) withOUT it's starting quarterback was still able to rack up almost 300 yards and 17 points against GT's defense...

And had the lead on FSU going into the 4th quarter the very next week....they held FSU's to to 15 less points than Miami could...

GT's defense let Clemson come back and score 24 straight points...

They're just not a good measuring stick for an offense...

Miami's biggest test so far will come in Blacksburg....and I hope they win and cruise to the Coastal crown...

Maybe the ACC just struggles with 1-AA teams...:lol:...who knows...

But I'd still like to see them tested against a legitimate team.....one that's not in the ACC....and we'll get to see that the following week against Oklahoma....

Miami has a GREAT chance to prove themselves....

chrisbaucom
09-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Please explain...

Dude, I'm just busting balls..........honestly everytime I hear the name George Teague it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.....or Copeland. Yikes!

Kdawg954
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Honestly....I don't think Jacory Harris (and I really like this kid) would see the 4th quarter against Bama's defense....

Tyrod Taylor was lucky he was able to finish the game....and halfway through the 4th you could look at his face and tell he'd had enough....

But...we're dealing with hypotheticals here...

The facts are a 1-AA (JSU) withOUT it's starting quarterback was still able to rack up almost 300 yards and 17 points against GT's defense...

And had the lead on FSU going into the 4th quarter the very next week....they held FSU's to to 15 less points than Miami could...

GT's defense let Clemson come back and score 24 straight points...

They're just not a good measuring stick for an offense...

Miami's biggest test so far will come in Blacksburg....and I hope they win and cruise to the Coastal crown...

Maybe the ACC just struggles with 1-AA teams...:lol:...who knows...

But I'd still like to see them tested against a legitimate team.....one that's not in the ACC....and we'll get to see that the following week against Oklahoma....

Miami has a GREAT chance to prove themselves....

I mean Canes fans are ecstatic, and with great reason. It is not even the overall record IMO . . . its the damn offense. We have NOT seen an offense this good since the Ken Dorsey days (and the UF and Louiville games . . . with the infamous Brock Berlin come backs). That has been the key this whole time . . . honestly, maybe Kyle Wright would have been a better QB with Whipple . . . in fact I know he would of (obviously doesn't have the poise and presence of Jacory). You throw in the fact that the defense stepped up againt probably their biggest nemisis GT . . . and you see improvement in the 3 biggest areas . . . . offense, defense and coaching. That cannot be ignored. Miami has been so efficient on offense, that it gives hope for many fans.

With that being said . . . this 4 game stretch was a moment of truth, and FULL judgement should be resevered until after the Oklahoma game. Canes have a TUFF task next Saturday. Blacksburg can be VERY intimidating, and these guys are young as hell still. Before the season I had Miami starting 2-0, and then losing the next 2 . . . obviously that was before I seen how solid they are on offense, and I think we can now win both of these games, with a poised Jacory Harris leading the team and a MUCH improved offensive line. Obviously Oklahoma may or may not be with Bradford, but they still have TONS of talent, like they almost always do.

You are right . . . the Canes have a GREAT chance to prove themselves over the next 2 weeks . . . prove if they are BCS title contenders, Orange bowl contenders or just ACC title contenders . . . but one thing is clear . . . the days of being unranked and battling close games with Duke are over IMO. We are clear ACC front runners (whatever that means to people that are skeptical) and that is a GIANT step from years past. Obviously if we lost to Va Tech, Va Tech would need to lose twice for us to win that division (obviously there are circumstances where a 1 loss Va Tech team in confernece could get us in if we lost Saturday), but regardless, this is an improving "U" team . . . and the WHOLE nation has been put on notice the first 2 games under the spotlight.

Namor
09-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Dude, I'm just busting balls..........honestly everytime I hear the name George Teague it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.....or Copeland. Yikes!

No problem,bro...

kpcane
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Please explain...

What was Lou Saban's relationship to Bama?

Or are you talking about Schnellenberger, because he was the Bama OC for 4 years, about 20 years before arriving in Miami? He spent more time with the Dolphins than the Tide. And if anything, he'd be more of a Kentucky guy than a Bama guy.

Namor
09-19-2009, 04:23 PM
He was one of Bear's best friends..He recruited Joe Namath to Bama.
When Bear Bryant turned the Miami Dolphins job down,he introduced
Howard to Joe Robbie who in turn introduced him to Shula.

Believe me . Having meet and talked with Howard MANY times..
He is a BEAR guy...and Bama man.
Yes I'm that old..

kpcane
09-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I have a hard time understanding how a guy could spend most of his life in Kentucky, go to Alabama for five years, go to South Florida, come back to Kentucky, and then go back to South Florida, while still considering himself an Alabama man. Must be a miserable guy considering he's spent an overwhelming majority of his life away from his 'home'.

All of this considering that Schnellenberger wasn't even the guy who built the Hurricanes.

Namor
09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a hard time understanding how a guy could spend most of his life in Kentucky, go to Alabama for five years, go to South Florida, come back to Kentucky, and then go back to South Florida, while still considering himself an Alabama man. Must be a miserable guy considering he's spent an overwhelming majority of his life away from his 'home'.

All of this considering that Schnellenberger wasn't even the guy who built the Hurricanes.

So

kpcane
09-19-2009, 06:00 PM
So

So obviously you're full of it. I don't care if you talked to God, it's obvious he doesn't consider himself an Alabama man if he's had numerous opportunities to return and continually keeps going to the same 2 locations (Kentucky and South Florida).

And again, he didn't build the University of Miami football program, SOOOO stop saying it.

CedarPhin
09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Schnellenberger did originate the whole "State of Miami". He got alot of talent and set up most of the great runs through the early-to-mid-1980s.

Saban got there and did get Jim Kelly...and did save the program from the chopping block, but I don't think you can really ignore what Schnellenberger did. So while Saban did save it from the chopping block, I think Schnellenberger was the real architect.

Namor
09-19-2009, 07:36 PM
So obviously you're full of it. I don't care if you talked to God, it's obvious he doesn't consider himself an Alabama man if he's had numerous opportunities to return and continually keeps going to the same 2 locations (Kentucky and South Florida).

And again, he didn't build the University of Miami football program, SOOOO stop saying it.

Listen to your fellow cane fans.
Howard won three titles as OC at Bama.

kpcane
09-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Schnellenberger did originate the whole "State of Miami". He got alot of talent and set up most of the great runs through the early-to-mid-1980s.

Saban got there and did get Jim Kelly...and did save the program from the chopping block, but I don't think you can really ignore what Schnellenberger did. So while Saban did save it from the chopping block, I think Schnellenberger was the real architect.

I'm not ignoring what Schnellengberger did, he was extremely instrumental in the foundation of the Canes. But if I'd have to pick the one guy that got this program rolling, I'd pick Saban. He got Jim Kelly and got the program to be relevant to where guys wanted to come to Miami. I don't think many Canes fans would disagree with that.

kpcane
09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Listen to your fellow cane fans.
Howard won three titles as OC at Bama.

I saw the rest of what you wrote - unfortunately you feel that I'm acting like a child, yet you respond to an entire post by saying "so". Right........

What's even more unfortunate is how we can't have a civil conversation about it. :rolleyes2: Oh well....

CedarPhin
09-19-2009, 07:57 PM
C'mon guys, I realize you have a differing opinion, but let's try and keep it civil.

Thanks!

CedarPhin
09-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm not ignoring what Schnellengberger did, he was extremely instrumental in the foundation of the Canes. But if I'd have to pick the one guy that got this program rolling, I'd pick Saban. He got Jim Kelly and got the program to be relevant to where guys wanted to come to Miami. I don't think many Canes fans would disagree with that.

I don't disagree with it, but Schnellenberger got guys like Highsmith, Kosar, Testaverde, and the list goes on and on, etc. to come here too.

It just depends on who is and how you look at it.

Saban saved the program, Schnelly built it into a national powerhouse.

JCane
09-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd take Schnellenberger all day everyday lol. Saban got the ball rolling on recruits but when it all was said and done...he didn't win with it. Granted he wasn't there very long...still. Schnellenberger was rough. He was a winner everyday he got out of the bed. He took average dudes and made winners out of them. I've got a lot of respect for what Saban did here but Schnelleberger was untouchable during his time at Miami and for good reason.

kpcane
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't disagree with it, but Schnellenberger got guys like Highsmith, Kosar, Testaverde, and the list goes on and on, etc. to come here too.

It just depends on who is and how you look at it.

Saban saved the program, Schnelly built it into a national powerhouse.

It really does. Of course, Schnell was the guy who brought us to national prominence, it's just the word "build" that I was focusing on. Saban built it for Schnell to take off. Kinda like how Butch did for Coker..............KIDDING! :chuckle:

Both guys were extremely important, yet both are irrelevant without each other.

Awsi Dooger
09-20-2009, 02:43 AM
It's an interesting question. I prefer Schnellenberger but my dad, a UM alum, insists Saban.

Saban found Kelly but I don't remember him emphasizing national championship. Schnellenberger dared to dream in that regard. He used to have a high profile annual slogan. I think one was, "Reaching Higher." Before that it was, "A Bowl is the Goal." Gad, this is going back. I think I have those correct but I'm not positive. Then in 1982 it was, "Go For It." In other words, the national title. That was the year Kelly got hurt in the second game, out for the year so the season was lost. Miami had dropped an anguishing 14-10 game at Gainesville in the opener, a late falling backwards catch by the fullback in hellish hot conditions. James Jones, or something like that. I can still picture that sickening play. It was almost like a Canes version of the 1974 Clarence Davis play.

No one thought 1983 would be the year. I don't even remember the slogan for that season.

Besides, not only did Schnellenberger create, "The State of Miami," he also was enough of a visionary to campaign for a small expandable 40,000 seat on-campus stadium. That would look fantastic right now although at the time I thought it was unnecessary, given the incredible home impact of the Orange Bowl.

In response to Schnellenberger's stadium proposal, the University of Miami president said, "Win a national championship, then we'll talk," an arrogant reference to Miami's spring 1982 first baseball title. When Schnellenberger delivered a year later, the president sidestepped the issue. I was hardly surprised when Schnellenberger bolted months later.

Of course, even in the early to mid '80s a stadium faced severe hurdles. It needed to be done decades earlier, before spiraling property values and massive influence of the local commission.

TedSlimmJr
09-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Lou Saban brought Jim Kelly....but he still only went 9-13 in 2 seasons...

From 1926-1978....Miami's coaches went a combined 273-228-17....a .486 winning percentage...

As Awsi pointed out....Schnellenberger dreamed of championships....

...and set the table for the success that the coaches that succeeded him like JJ, Erickson, Butch, etc. would have....

It's interesting...

Lou may have saved the program....that's one way of looking at it.....but Schnellenberger made it worth saving...