PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes

RealDriscoll
10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
After watching Saturday Night's LSU vs Florida game and than watching the Dolphins beat the Jets last night I am convinced that Brandon Spikes needs to be HIGH on our draft board. Crowder and Ayodele are servicable but we need a difference maker in the middle. Spikes is a tackling machine who is an above average blitzer. Keep an eye on this guy....

Roman529
10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I love Spikes....he look like a man playing against boys. I think he is better then Crowder right now. Channing just doesn't have a nose for the football the way Zach did....I think CC is only averaging about 4-5 tackles a game which is sad for an inside linebacker. Porter is also getting up there in years and wear and tear so I think Spikes will be very high on our first round board "needs" list.

#1dolphinsfan
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
i wouldnt mind picking up spikes if we can get a true #1 WR in FA or trade

BobDole
10-13-2009, 05:08 PM
been saying it forever - that's definitely who i want. i think we'll be picking somewhere in the middle of the first - right around where spikes is 'projected' to be - which will be an absolute steal. crowder having another LB from florida next to him will pump him up and force him to play better - no way he'll want to be showed up by a rook from his old stomping grounds. spikes does everything great - tackle, cover, blitz - you name it. the only other MLB that can hold his jock in this draft is mcclain - but being a gator fan - give me spikes.

RealDriscoll
10-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I am working on my first mock of the season and I don't see Spikes falling to us. I wish but we should see...

miami234ever
10-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I am working on my first mock of the season and I don't see Spikes falling to us. I wish but we should see...

Rey Maualuga had much more hype last year than Spikes will this year. I'm sure he'll be available at 32.:D

Phinatic8u
10-16-2009, 05:15 PM
McClain is the better prospect for us IMO..He already plays in a 3-4. He is also bigger faster and better than Spikes. Either one ill be happy

3rdandinches
10-17-2009, 08:13 PM
McClain is the better prospect for us IMO..He already plays in a 3-4. He is also bigger faster and better than Spikes. Either one ill be happy

Why not try for both!!!!!!!!

BP loves drafting in two's afterall!

BobDole
10-17-2009, 10:17 PM

they're both pushing 6'4" and they're both 258 lbs - same size man. and spikes is faster according to what i've seen/read. he might be better - they're both equally dominant IMO. ditto on the i'll take either one.

dolphinator86
10-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Why not try for both!!!!!!!!

BP loves drafting in two's afterall!

Dude i am with you.....draft one say Spikes then trade Crowder and a 4th this year conditional pick in 2011 say a 3rd that can become a 2nd get back into the first round and get McClain.

then use our 2nd rounder to get pass rusher like Lang out of Troy.

look at it like this the D will have

2 second year STARTING corners
2 3rd year STARTING DE's
4th year NT in the rotation and possibly a draft pick so a rookie
2 ROOKIE STARTING ILB's
and prob a ROOKIE OLB

YOUNG FAST NASTY AND PHYSICAL

Ricky4Life
10-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Agreed. I would love to get a #1 WR in FA and use most of our picks to really fill all of the holes on D. I feel our O should be ok, possibly get some O-line depth in the later rounds.

GeauxFinns3705
10-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Hes bigger, faster, and tougher. If the Fins want to make sure they continue their physical nature, I think McClain is their guy, even if they have to trade up to get him. Hes a stud. I think we still need a NT and a WR, but McClain is an absolute beast. Over 6-3 and 260, runs sideline to sideline, as sure a tackler as there is. Playing behind our Dline rotation, he would make a bunch of tackles...and impact plays.

CW_McGraw
10-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Rookie ILBs tend to have a much quicker impact on their defenses than rookie WRs: Jonathan Vilma, Jon Beason, Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis. Guys like Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal are the exceptions at WR. I'd much prefer getting a #1 WR in free agency and rebuilding the middle of our defense through the draft.

uga3406
10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
McClain has got two picks already this season thats more then Crownder has his whole NFL career. He needs play makers at the linebacker position, I'll take McClain but I won't be mad if we select Spikes.

MP-Omnis
10-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't you guys think we need safety help? If by some miracle Berry or Mays drops into our laps, would you still take one of them over Spikes or McClain?

The Ghost
10-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Don't you guys think we need safety help? If by some miracle Berry or Mays drops into our laps, would you still take one of them over Spikes or McClain?

In a perfect world we could land one of each this year.

If we beat the Saints we might play ourselves out of a shot any of those guys. Which I can live with but you gotta figure atleast of those 4 will be available to us.

MP-Omnis
10-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah, seriously. These kinds of situations really make you hate poor previous drafts.

TedSlimmJr
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
they're both pushing 6'4" and they're both 258 lbs - same size man. and spikes is faster according to what i've seen/read. he might be better - they're both equally dominant IMO. ditto on the i'll take either one.

I'll guarantee you that McClain is faster Bob.....I know for a fact....

Of course...if McClain declares early...we'll find out when they run in post season workouts...

You know I'm a Bama guy....but that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm about to say...

I think McClain is better....right now...

I think he has more upside and better instincts for the position....and I think he's more physical and moves MUCH better....a better blitzer....better tackler....sheds blocks better than any linebacker in the country....and is almost never fooled or caught out of position...

He's the quarterback of Alabama's defense and is responsible for getting everyone on the same page in Saban's complex 3-4 scheme....not an easy task...especially for a junior...

I like both players.....but if I was doing the picking and had a choice....I think I'd go with McClain over Spikes...

And to answer someone elses question in this thread....from a talent standpoint....I think you take Eric Berry over both of them if presented with that opportunity.....

...but not necessarily Taylor Mays....

Eric Berry and Taylor Mays are both rare talents.....but only one is a special football player IMO...

Clipse
10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I like Spikes, but I personally think Rolando McClain is better. I see Spikes going before McClain, and before we get to pick as well. McClain just may be on the board still when we pick and I would love to have him, but it really is a case of I'll take either one.

RealDriscoll
10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
The more I see I think McClain is better....

GeauxFinns3705
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Of course...if McClain declares early...we'll find out when they run in post season workouts...

You know I'm a Bama guy....but that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm about to say...

I think he has more upside and better instincts for the position....and I think he's more physical and moves MUCH better....a better blitzer....better tackler....sheds blocks better than any linebacker in the country....and is almost never fooled or caught out of position...

He's the quarterback of Alabama's defense and is responsible for getting everyone on the same page in Saban's complex 3-4 scheme....not an easy task...especially for a junior...

I like both players.....but if I was doing the picking and had a choice....I think I'd go with McClain over Spikes...

And to answer someone elses question in this thread....from a talent standpoint....I think you take Eric Berry over both of them if presented with that opportunity.....

Eric Berry and Taylor Mays are both rare talents.....but only one is a special football player IMO...

McClain is tougher. Hes a hard, hard man. As an inside LB in this defense, he would wreak havoc on RBs and players that come across the middle.

BobDole
10-20-2009, 08:20 PM

it's hard for me to say which one is better - they'll both be great ILB's in the NFL IMO. i don't even see that much difference b/n them - but i do know mcclain will probably be drafted before spikes. the only downside i see with spikes is he tends to get hurt a little too often for my liking. i wouldn't mind either one at all - but mcclain may be gone by the time we draft. and no way berry is still there - if by some miracle he is - he's the guy for sure. by far the best defensive player coming out - with dunlap being a distant second.

GeauxFinns3705
10-20-2009, 08:50 PM

I would not. I think you build from the LOS out. DT, DEs, CBs (since in our world CBs play on the LOS), LBs, S is the right priority in my world.

Of course, in the draft, you have to take the best players. I just think McClain is as impact player as you are going to find. Imagine Zach Thomas at 260 lbs! Thats Ro-Mac.

Would I be heartbroken if we got Berry or Mays? No, not at all (esp Berry). If I had to rank those four players:

McClain-push
Berry-push
Mays
Spikes

I know thats not conventional, but lets see how this plays out. RM is going to shoot up draft boards, I promise you.

RealDriscoll
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
McClain certainly is a play-maker and also is a very smart football player. You find in in position very often and he calls the plays for the Bama defense

CANDolphan
10-21-2009, 12:04 PM
After seeing both of them play quite often I'll say McClain will be faster, Crowder will shed blocks better, and I'd say that both can orchestrate the defense fairly well.

Either would be great to have, that's for sure.