PDA

View Full Version : Terrence "Mount" Cody

Prawzpekt
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
sorry if this has already been posted. he's expected to be a top 5 pick, but if he somehow falls on our lap (ouch!), then we must select him. he's pretty much impossible to move, and just thinking back to last night how we were getting pushed around like little boys makes me cringe.

Roman529
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I think Walter Football's 2010 predraft had him going to the Phins in one of their mocks. He could be our Vince Wilfork or Hali Ngata of the Ravens....no way you could push someone like him around.

ADavieDolphin
10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
i heard about mount cody when he was in high school back in fort myers, and last year i was on a big bandwagon for him to declare early and come to us.
But honestly the more I watch him, the less I'm impressed.
Soliai will be better for the next 3 years, until Cody is NFL ready. At that time, Soliai could be already be well versed, in great shape and get paid big time.

I think we need a Soliai backup. But in the 3rd or 4th round, I like Boo Robinson from Wake Forest, and my boy Terrell Troup from UCF is 6'3 330, last year had 52 tkls, 13 TFL, and 2 sacks.

Maybe we sign a vet though? Soliai is still young in his development

RealDriscoll
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I think Terrence Cody's stock is falling. While he posses great size and power he is very lazy and his weight issues will raise a red flag. I could actually see him falling out of the 1st round with Ndamukong Suh, Gerald Mccoy, Marvin Austin, and Arthur Jones being better players at this point

Oraclepz
10-16-2009, 07:23 PM
hes wayyy to fat... needs to lose like 40 lbs

GeauxFinns3705
10-16-2009, 09:39 PM
There is a NT from UT that is outstanding as well. He gets penetration and blows up OLs. He was great vs UF.

MP-Omnis
10-17-2009, 06:10 PM
There is a NT from UT that is outstanding as well. He gets penetration and blows up OLs. He was great vs UF.

One of Soliai's friends?

#1dolphinsfan
10-17-2009, 07:04 PM
i would rather have Ndamukong Suh but i dont think we will have a chance for eather of them

PALMA
10-17-2009, 09:27 PM
With Solia's improvement and this massive NT depth in the upcoming draft, we will have a nice one-two punch in the middle for the future.

Man I wish we could somehow get another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

GeauxFinns3705
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
One of Soliai's friends?

No, Dan Williams is the kid I was talking about. He's from Tennessee, not Utah...sorry for the confusion. Hes 6'3 335 and he can penetrate. He and Soliai would be a great tandem.

I agree that Cody is way too heavy. Hes close to 380 or so I've heard. He needs to about 340. He will not hold up at that weight in the NFL.

BigNastyDB13
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
sorry if this has already been posted. he's expected to be a top 5 pick, but if he somehow falls on our lap (ouch!), then we must select him. he's pretty much impossible to move, and just thinking back to last night how we were getting pushed around like little boys makes me cringe.

I'm not high on taking a NT that would spend half the game on the sideline in the 1st round. I think the Dolphins would prefer to draft a NT later in the draft and develop him over time. With that said, if we are in position to take Suh (hope not cause that'd mean we had a bad season) we've got to take him. We desperately need some Linebackers who make plays. We run a 3-4 yet we have no play maker LB'ers. Porter can get sacks but thats about it.

jim1
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
No, Dan Williams is the kid I was talking about. He's from Tennessee, not Utah...sorry for the confusion. Hes 6'3 335 and he can penetrate. He and Soliai would be a great tandem.

I agree that Cody is way too heavy. Hes close to 380 or so I've heard. He needs to about 340. He will not hold up at that weight in the NFL.

I'd like to see more from Dan Williams and also AL Woods from LSU.

JCane
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Cody plays for Alabama and is an absolute beast!

i would rather have Ndamukong Suh but i dont think we will have a chance for eather of them

As much as I love Suh and his athleticism, he doesn't fit our defensive scheme the way Cody does.

Namor
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Cody is a TRUE NT...gobbles up 2 to 3 lineman..very athletic..has lost about 30 lbs. this year. The man can dunk a basketball and do a backflip...and this was at 380.
Cody would be great...but linebacker McClain is who we need...Brandon Spikes is a class below McClain. Cody and McClain on our D would be a dream.
What Cody can do ,will not show up on the stat sheet,but the inside LB's
would love to have him.

JCane
10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
The man can dunk a basketball and do a backflip...

:jawdrop:

Cutie
10-25-2009, 09:48 AM
I saw the Tenn - Alabama game yesterday (Sat. 24th) and Cody BLOCKED
two field goals INCLUDING the potential game winner for Tenn. Bama won
12-10. Great game. He's a beast. Anyone see the game?

BARF
10-25-2009, 09:51 AM
saw the ending of the game that guys stock just rose even more do not see the fins getting him he is going top 10

vafins
10-25-2009, 10:54 AM
yeah i caught the end when he blocked the 2nd one dudes a beast

Ricky4Life
10-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Caught when he blocked the game winning FG.

Miamifin23
10-25-2009, 02:32 PM
So are we going to draft a guy because he blocked 2 field goals? Cameron drafted Ginn because of what he could do on special teams by returning the ball, you better see more in Cody than a guy that blocks field goals... He needs to drop a lil bit more weight so he can be more effective in the NFL.

Cutie
10-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Of course, it is early. No one really knows who needs what going into next April. All teams have a basic starting point, yes. But with combine and free agency, there will be ranking changes. Parcells hasn't drafted a LB yet; not one in the top rounds. I believe this year, LB will be in Round 1. It's not going to be a WR, no CB/S, maybe NT, so I believe LB will be it. Any thoughts? I have not been keeping up faithfully with all the players and would appreciate a starting point with your opinions. Thank you.

ChadHenne
10-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Cody is actually currently expected to go somewhere from 10-15, so that may fall right into our range. With Ferguson getting up there in age, we could easily end up with the Kris Jenkin sized dude. He is a force to be reckoned with on the inside, but he probably isn't going to be the first DT taken (that honor goes to Suh).

TedSlimmJr
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Myself and Namor are probably the two biggest Bama guys around here and know Bama's coaches and players inside and out....and Cody is obviously an ideal NT...

That said....there is NO WAY I would use a 1st round pick on him....for several reasons....he has tremendous bust potential as an NFL player....

He's a 2 down player in the NFL....you don't use 1st round picks on 2 down players unless you're just stubborn...

Hell...he's a 2 down player NOW....Saban won't even let him on the field on 3rd downs....

Drafting Cody in the 1st round goes directly against the grain of what Miami's needs are...

Miami doesn't need a player to eat up blocks to free up the playmakers behind him.....because they don't have any..

What they need is playmakers at linebacker and safety.....THEN worry about getting a NT to develope later....which seems to be the preferred route of Miami's brass anyway...

I really don't see the value in the pick....Miami needs playmakers that can keep these QB/TE combo's from killing them repeatedly....ILB's and safeties that can hit and cover....

There are much safer, more talented players that Miami should be picking instead....and that's just off Alabama's defense....much less the rest of college football...

And this is obviously not even addressing the offensive side of the ball where Miami desperately needs a bigtime WR they can count on to grow with Henne and stop embarrassing this proud franchise by letting skiddish, gutless, twerps like Ted Ginn continue to wear the uniform....

GeauxFinns3705
10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Myself and Namor are probably the two biggest Bama guys around here and know Bama's coaches and players inside and out....and Cody is obviously an ideal NT...

That said....there is NO WAY I would use a 1st round pick on him....for several reasons....he has tremendous bust potential as an NFL player....

He's a 2 down player in the NFL....you don't use 1st round picks on 2 down players unless you're just stubborn...

Hell...he's a 2 down player NOW....Saban won't even let him on the field on 3rd downs....

Drafting Cody in the 1st round goes directly against the grain of what Miami's needs are...

Miami doesn't need a player to eat up blocks to free up the playmakers behind him.....because they don't have any..

What they need is playmakers at linebacker and safety.....THEN worry about getting a NT to develope later....which seems to be the preferred route of Miami's brass anyway...

I really don't see the value in the pick....Miami needs playmakers that can keep these QB/TE combo's from killing them repeatedly....ILB's and safeties that can hit and cover....

There are much safer, more talented players that Miami should be picking instead....and that's just off Alabama's defense....much less the rest of college football...

And this is obviously not even addressing the offensive side of the ball where Miami desperately needs a bigtime WR they can count on to grow with Henne and stop embarrassing this proud franchise by letting skiddish, gutless, twerps like Ted Ginn continue to wear the uniform....

This is a remarkable write up. Great Job, TS.

I watched this game and I am telling anyone who will listen that Dan Williams, the DT from UT is going to be a great 3-4 NT. The guy takes up space and penetrates. He directs traffic.

We could get RoMac (who I think is an absolute stud) and Williams and be set in the front 7.

We will need to get younger at OLB, but we can draft some guys to develop later.

Namor
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM

But Ted...If..Big if here, you take McClain with your first pick and then
grab Cody with another late first (trade up )or a 2nd rounder..then
you have the makings of new revamped defense.
Hell with Cody up front and McClain beside him,Crowder might actually do something.
Add a couple new safties(free agency)Bam! Bad *** defense.

CJGoCanes
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
This is a remarkable write up. Great Job, TS.

I watched this game and I am telling anyone who will listen that Dan Williams, the DT from UT is going to be a great 3-4 NT. The guy takes up space and penetrates. He directs traffic.

We could get RoMac (who I think is an absolute stud) and Williams and be set in the front 7.

We will need to get younger at OLB, but we can draft some guys to develop later.

Doesn't Williams have a previous knee injury? I'm not positive but if so that's a pretty serious injury for a NT. But I haven't seen him play, he could be a steal

TedSlimmJr
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
But Ted...If..Big if here, you take McClain with your first pick and then
grab Cody with another late first (trade up )or a 2nd rounder..then
you have the makings of new revamped defense.
Hell with Cody up front and McClain beside him,Crowder might actually do something.
Add a couple new safties(free agency)Bam! Bad *** defense.

Honestly....the thought of trading UP back into the 1st round for Cody is an even worse idea for me...:lol:

First, because you're still drafting a boom or bust player.....

Secondly, because your extinguishing more draft picks to accomplish it...

I have always had a serious problem drafting players high that come with stamina and/or weight issues that are one dimensional....I'll never subscribe to it.....especially when I feel like there should be more talented players at his position that Miami could grab potentially in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...

Everyone in here should know how I've felt about Rolando McClain since day one....I've made that clear ever since the very first "Draft Brandon Spikes" thread was created sometime last year....

And I've never really given serious consideration to drafting Cody in the 1st round.....the guy I've always been high on instead was Tennessee's Dan Williams....the guy that was wreaking havoc on Alabama's offensive line this past Saturday and was key in holding Mark Ingram to only 99 yards rushing....

I think we agree on everything here except Cody's value as a 1st round pick.....quite simply....there's a guy or two I would rather see Miami draft as a potential nose tackle of the future....

TedSlimmJr
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Doesn't Williams have a previous knee injury? I'm not positive but if so that's a pretty serious injury for a NT. But I haven't seen him play, he could be a steal

I don't think Dan Williams has missed a game since 2006 when he was a redshirt freshman....

And going off Saturday's performance against Alabama....I think his knee's are fine...

finfan54
10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Parcells and co. will find the right guy.

Prawzpekt
11-05-2009, 05:36 AM

we can have all the playmakers we want, but if they have to deal with blockers constantly they can wear down faster and without a consistent push from the D-line, those playmakers will allow more big plays than they actually make.

TedSlimmJr
11-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Just listen to me son and you might learn something....you're making my point for me....I've watched Cody practice and play for 2 years....

NOBODY wears down faster than Cody......and he doesn't get "push" on the D-Line.....what he does is he COMMANDS double teams...

You've often heard me point out that Cody is a 2-down player....and how stamina is an issue....

In Alabama's critical last 4 game stretch against SEC teams: Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee....

Saban's defense has faced 116 rushing plays....Cody was on the field for 68 of them.....or 58.6%...

Saban's defense faced 165 passing plays in that same 4 game stretch....Cody was on the field for 54 of them.....or 32.7%...

Basically, he's been on the field for 122 out of the last 281 defensive plays....or 45.4%.......in other words....he's on the field for about 30 out of 70 plays....

Right now...Cody isn't even a 2 down player for the ENTIRE game.....but more less through half a game or three quarters.....that's not production worth using a 1st round pick on....

If you want to compare this to the percentage of snaps that the "run first" nose tackles in the NFL are on the field...

Jay Ratliff - 71.3%

Shaun Rogers - 73.6%

Albert Haynesworth - 71.3%

Vince Wilfork - 61.7%

Haloti Ngata - 61.3% (a lot at DE)

Pat Williams - 54.3%

Casey Hampton - 51.6%

Ryan Pickett - 51.3%

Jason Ferguson - 50.2%

What should be pointed out is that when Cody IS on the field....he draws a high number of double teams.....which is what playing the nose is all about IMO...

Don't kid yourself.....Rolando McClain has played more than half his snaps without Cody even being on the field and he dominates from down to down...

Just because you've listened to the talking heads hype this guy up for the past 2 years like he's a top 10 pick.....I wouldn't believe it if I were you....

I certainly think he's a draftable player for Miami.....but anywhere in the 1st round is reaching big time IMO....

He still needs to lose more weight....and this "stamina" issue isn't something that's just going to fix itself over night in the NFL....

greasyObnoxious
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I think Walter Football's 2010 predraft had him going to the Phins in one of their mocks. He could be our Vince Wilfork or Hali Ngata of the Ravens....no way you could push someone like him around.

no, Cody couldn't be our version of Ngata or Wilfork. those are premier NTs. Cody is a two-down player in the NFL. Ngata is a freak. he's big but he's extremely athletic. we may have our own version of Ngata already in Soliai. he compares favorably to Ngata. Cody certainly doesn't IMO. honestly, i wouldn't touch Cody. i like Boo Robinson, Dan Williams or Cam Thomas better as NT prospects.

MP-Omnis
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Soliai has been pretty beastin actually. I don't think we need Cody so much anymore.

Namor
11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd love to have Cody..but I agree with Ted..a 2nd round pick would
be the best value.

dolfan91
11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I'd be extremely disappointed if BP and Company picked Cody in round #1 .. even with the injury to Ferguson, expect them to look for a more BP type of NT in round #2-3 ... LB or WR is where the talent could be when Miami picks in round 1 ...

JT-forpresident
11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Just listen to me son and you might learn something....you're making my point for me....I've watched Cody practice and play for 2 years....

NOBODY wears down faster than Cody......and he doesn't get "push" on the D-Line.....what he does is he COMMANDS double teams...

You've often heard me point out that Cody is a 2-down player....and how stamina is an issue....

In Alabama's critical last 4 game stretch against SEC teams: Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee....

Saban's defense has faced 116 rushing plays....Cody was on the field for 68 of them.....or 58.6%...

Saban's defense faced 165 passing plays in that same 4 game stretch....Cody was on the field for 54 of them.....or 32.7%...

Basically, he's been on the field for 122 out of the last 281 defensive plays....or 45.4%.......in other words....he's on the field for about 30 out of 70 plays....

Right now...Cody isn't even a 2 down player for the ENTIRE game.....but more less through half a game or three quarters.....that's not production worth using a 1st round pick on....

If you want to compare this to the percentage of snaps that the "run first" nose tackles in the NFL are on the field...

Jay Ratliff - 71.3%

Shaun Rogers - 73.6%

Albert Haynesworth - 71.3%

Vince Wilfork - 61.7%

Haloti Ngata - 61.3% (a lot at DE)

Pat Williams - 54.3%

Casey Hampton - 51.6%

Ryan Pickett - 51.3%

Jason Ferguson - 50.2%

What should be pointed out is that when Cody IS on the field....he draws a high number of double teams.....which is what playing the nose is all about IMO...

Don't kid yourself.....Rolando McClain has played more than half his snaps without Cody even being on the field and he dominates from down to down...

Just because you've listened to the talking heads hype this guy up for the past 2 years like he's a top 10 pick.....I wouldn't believe it if I were you....

I certainly think he's a draftable player for Miami.....but anywhere in the 1st round is reaching big time IMO....

He still needs to lose more weight....and this "stamina" issue isn't something that's just going to fix itself over night in the NFL....

couldn't agree more... another question that remains to be answered is how he'll respond to a 16+ games season, in the miami heat !

miami71
11-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Bust!!! Bust!!! Bust!!!

Roman529
11-21-2009, 03:40 AM
no, Cody couldn't be our version of Ngata or Wilfork. those are premier NTs. Cody is a two-down player in the NFL. Ngata is a freak. he's big but he's extremely athletic. we may have our own version of Ngata already in Soliai. he compares favorably to Ngata. Cody certainly doesn't IMO. honestly, i wouldn't touch Cody. i like Boo Robinson, Dan Williams or Cam Thomas better as NT prospects.

I know Cody at his weight would not be an every down player. I for one would rather go with a linebacker like McClain as far as an every down player. I also really like Jerry Hughes of TCU who could play the OLB or DE position.

Clipse
11-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Serious weight/stamina issues. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him in the 2nd (though I'd rather have Tate/Lafell). Drafting him in round 1 is a reach imo. Of course I am slightly biased because I believe Soliai will be very solid. Some good DT prospects this draft though, which is good because I think Ferg's career could be over and we're going to need some depth at NT.

Durden
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I think we need a Soliai backup. But in the 3rd or 4th round, I like Boo Robinson from Wake Forest, and my boy Terrell Troup from UCF is 6'3 330, last year had 52 tkls, 13 TFL, and 2 sacks.

Maybe we sign a vet though? Soliai is still young in his development
Actually it is Soliai who's more suited to be a backup. Cody has way more upside than Soliai.

I don't think people are appreciating how good Cody actually is. He's not just a tackle who happens to be huge, but he can play. He was unanimously voted an All-American last year (ahead of BJ Raji, Peria Jerry, Ziggy Hood and all those guys), and he will be this year again, plus will walk away with either a Lombardi, Outland, or Nagurski, or all of them.

I'm pretty confident he'll be one of the dominant nose tackles of the next decade. The Dolphins should really take him, but he'll probably be off the board by mid-first round.

miami71
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Cody is the biggest potential BUST in the draft! Literally! Dan Williams is a much better NT!!!

Durden
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Just in: Replacing a nose tackle in NFL is no easy task and Miami Dolphins must replace Jason Ferguson (Palm Beach Post)

Beyond natural gifts, the ideal nose tackle has run-stopping heft 325 pounds or more is ideal.

"There's no question it's a tough position to fill, and one big reason is a lot of teams don't run a 3-4 (defense) in college," said draft guru Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown. "It's hard to find guys with that combination of size, athleticism and strength. They're a rare breed."

The Dolphins undoubtedly will be reminded of that if they have to replace Ferguson permanently.

Wright said Alabama's Terrence Cody, a Fort Myers native who goes 6-foot-5 and 380 pounds, is the only sure-to-succeed selection at nose tackle in next year's draft. And with Cody being projected to go in the first 10 to 15 picks, it's unlikely the Dolphins would have a shot at him barring a trade to move up.
There is actually a link to that story, but for some reason my "post count" isn't high enough to post it. So everyone has to find it themselfves, I'm sorry.

jim1
11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/replacing-a-nose-tackle-in-nfl-is-no-83927.html

Dolphin Dave
11-25-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.cullmantimes.com/localsports/x20311571/ALABAMA-FOOTBALL-Saban-Cody-have-unique-relationship?start:int=15

Interesting artical for those interested. The guy is down to 349 lbs and trying to get down to 340 by working hard. Say what you will about Nick Satan but there is no way that anyone who didn't work hard would have the balls to sit next to him on the bus and pester him for more playing time.

I wouldn't be upset if we took Cody in the first rd. I believe that we need ILB and OLB help more but Cody has the potential to be an absolute monster.

Clipse
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.cullmantimes.com/localsports/x20311571/ALABAMA-FOOTBALL-Saban-Cody-have-unique-relationship?start:int=15

Interesting artical for those interested. The guy is down to 349 lbs and trying to get down to 340 by working hard. Say what you will about Nick Satan but there is no way that anyone who didn't work hard would have the balls to sit next to him on the bus and pester him for more playing time.

I wouldn't be upset if we took Cody in the first rd. I believe that we need ILB and OLB help more but Cody has the potential to be an absolute monster.
I call bs... As I said before no thanks. Who in their right mind would draft somebody in the 1st round who won't even play half the defensive snaps?

hooshoops
11-25-2009, 10:29 AM
meh...let somebody else burn a first rounder on a 2 down player in cody...no thanks

i like other targets later who are in better shape

Durden
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I call bs... As I said before no thanks. Who in their right mind would draft somebody in the 1st round who won't even play half the defensive snaps?
I can't hear this anymore. Cody isn't a two-down player. He could very easily be in the game all the time, but Saban likes to rotate Cody (Alabama's run stuffing nose) with Marcel Dareus (their pass-rushung nose, and current sack leader) to give opposing offenses different looks.

Oraclepz
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Cody is a TRUE NT...gobbles up 2 to 3 lineman..very athletic..has lost about 30 lbs. this year. The man can dunk a basketball and do a backflip...and this was at 380.
Cody would be great...but linebacker McClain is who we need...Brandon Spikes is a class below McClain. Cody and McClain on our D would be a dream.
What Cody can do ,will not show up on the stat sheet,but the inside LB's
would love to have him.

prove it.. i honestly have a Very hard time believing any of this.. no offense Namor

TedSlimmJr
11-26-2009, 05:41 AM
I can't hear this anymore. Cody isn't a two-down player. He could very easily be in the game all the time, but Saban likes to rotate Cody (Alabama's run stuffing nose) with Marcel Dareus (their pass-rushung nose, and current sack leader) to give opposing offenses different looks.

Saban doesn't rotate Cody and Dareus to give the opposing offenses different looks....he does it because Dareus is effective rushing the passer and getting pressure and Cody isn't....especially in the 2nd half of games when Cody is tired...

Saban doesn't insist on Cody losing more weight because he wants him to look good in a 2-piece bikini.....he insists that he lose more weight because it's the only thing that can help him build more stamina and not wear down so fast....

Dareus is effective stunting around a formation etc. in a 4 man front....Cody isn't....

Cody is absolutely a 2-down player....and the research has already been provided in this thread...

If Cody could "very easily" be on the field all the time....he WOULD BE.....but it's more important on passing downs to have a DT in there that can provide pressure (Dareus) than it is to have to worn down 350+ pounder in there...

Saban loves Cody....and rewarded him by putting together a goalline package with Jim to have Cody in the backfield as a blocker to keep him motivated to keep losing the weight...

Once Cody gets in the NFL and starts cashing those mega-checks and doesn't have a task master like Saban to stay on top of him constantly....it's going to fall squarely on Cody's shoulders to be disciplined enough to keep losing the weight and improving his stamina...

Durden
11-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Saban doesn't rotate Cody and Dareus to give the opposing offenses different looks....he does it because Dareus is effective rushing the passer and getting pressure and Cody isn't....especially in the 2nd half of games when Cody is tired...
Yes, Dareus is more effective rushing the passer than Cody, only because they're two different types of players. Cody basically never rushes the passer, he just shoves the offensive linemen aside so that one of his linebackers tackle the ball-carrier. If Saban wants to pressure the QB, he sends Dareus in, because he's 100 lb. lighter than Cody and all he does is shooting the gap.

Cody is absolutely a 2-down player....and the research has already been provided in this thread...
That ESPN analysis only proved that Cody is in on half of the downs. But it does not say that he is out because he lacks the stamina. As a matter of fact, Cody is playing on 3rd downs if they're short distance. However, Alabama's defense has been so dominant that they more often face 3rd and longs.

If Cody could "very easily" be on the field all the time....he WOULD BE.....but it's more important on passing downs to have a DT in there that can provide pressure (Dareus) than it is to have to worn down 350+ pounder in there...
Yes, but that's the way it is. If you're 3rd and inches on offense, you won't bring you speed back in, but your power back. And if you're the defense on a 3rd and long, you send a quick pass rusher in, leaving Cody on the sidelines.

Clipse
11-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Please. Cody has serious weight/stamina issues. You can't possibly deny that.

Durden
11-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Please. Cody has serious weight/stamina issues. You can't possibly deny that.
What makes you so confident? Just because he is 350 lb? He used to play at 400+ at Mississippi Gulf Coast, and I mean play.

It kinda suprises me that people on this forum don't realize that there are two reasons why a player doesn't play on every down: (a) he's exhausted, or (b) coach likes a different formation. In Cody's case it's definitely more B than A.

TedSlimmJr
11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, Dareus is more effective rushing the passer than Cody, only because they're two different types of players. Cody basically never rushes the passer, he just shoves the offensive linemen aside so that one of his linebackers tackle the ball-carrier. If Saban wants to pressure the QB, he sends Dareus in, because he's 100 lb. lighter than Cody and all he does is shooting the gap.

That ESPN analysis only proved that Cody is in on half of the downs. But it does not say that he is out because he lacks the stamina. As a matter of fact, Cody is playing on 3rd downs if they're short distance. However, Alabama's defense has been so dominant that they more often face 3rd and longs.

Yes, but that's the way it is. If you're 3rd and inches on offense, you won't bring you speed back in, but your power back. And if you're the defense on a 3rd and long, you send a quick pass rusher in, leaving Cody on the sidelines.

What ESPN analysis? The ESPN analysts have been the one's hyping the guy up like he's a top 10 pick the last 2 years.....which is rediculous IMO....what it proves is that he's on the field LESS than half the downs...and his teammates (particularly McClain) are dominant with or without him...

That analysis didn't have to say that Cody isn't in because he lacks the stamina.....THAT came straight from the horse's mouth....Nick Saban's...

I know exactly how good Bama's defense is....but EVERY defense on planet Earth faces 3rd and long situations more often than they face 3rd and short....no matter how good or bad they are...

Bama's defense has faced 3rd (or 4th) down and 3 yards or less 26 times against BCS competition so far...

20 of those 26 times teams have chosen to run the ball.....converting 14 of those.......or 70% success rate...

The other 6 times teams have chosen to pass.....converting 4 times.....or 66% success rate...

I understand what you're trying to say....and Cody is the ideal nose tackle....my point is he's not worth a 1st round pick....it's a reach IMO....

Do you believe any overweight, one-dimensional, run stuffing, defensive tackle that commands double teams and tires out quickly should be in high demand, or just Terrence Cody?

Vince Wilfork was a much better nose tackle prospect that could also play other techniques and stay on the field.....he lasted until the 21st pick...

There's a reason why B.J. Raji was a top 10 pick and his one dimensional, run plugging teammate, Ron Brace, lasted until the 2nd round...

As a proud Bama guy of over 40 years....nobody would like to see Cody succeed more than me....but he's a risky player to be using a 1st round pick on....

1st round picks should be used on players that the opposition is going to have to game plan for....a player who's draft selection and salary is going to equal his production and impact on the field....which is probably why you haven't seen these guys draft too many nose tackles high in the draft...

3rdandinches
11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't get this "he's only a two down player" arguement. All true NT's are two down players and I realize in the past you wouldn't draft one so high but now there's alot more 3/4 defenses. Which obviousily puts more of a premium on NT's and pass rushing OLB's. The NT is the key to the entire defense with the 3/4 so if you believe he's gonna be a good to great one then you have to draft him, we can't hope someone else will do.

I really would like to get R.McClain in the first round and get A.Franklin NT (SF) in FA. Franklin is a stud NT and is playing at a Probowl level but is under the radar in recognition.

TedSlimmJr
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't get this "he's only a two down player" arguement. All true NT's are two down players and I realize in the past you wouldn't draft one so high but now there's alot more 3/4 defenses. Which obviousily puts more of a premium on NT's and pass rushing OLB's. The NT is the key to the entire defense with the 3/4 so if you believe he's gonna be a good to great one then you have to draft him, we can't hope someone else will do.

I really would like to get R.McClain in the first round and get A.Franklin NT (SF) in FA. Franklin is a stud NT and is playing at a Probowl level but is under the radar in recognition.

No...not every true NT is a 2 down player....

The fact that more teams run a 3-4 defense now doesn't put more of a premium on NT's and pass rushing OLB's......the premium has always been on pass rushers in the draft no matter what....

What the premium is on now is finding those pass rushers that can do it from both a 2-point stance AND with their hand on the ground....that can also drop into coverage and play in space, etc...

The key to a 3/4 is having a good NT....but that doesn't mean you start using 1st round picks on them just because more teams are trying to run it now...

It's interesting you mentioned Franklin (5th round pick)......most of the top nose tackles in the NFL were mid-late round picks....

Usually the ones that were 1st round picks were also the one's that could stay on the field and play other techniques...

What about Cody makes you think he's a potential "great" one anyway?

Durden
11-26-2009, 11:54 AM
What ESPN analysis? The ESPN analysts have been the one's hyping the guy up like he's a top 10 pick the last 2 years.....which is rediculous IMO....what it proves is that he's on the field LESS than half the downs...and his teammates (particularly McClain) are dominant with or without him...
There is an analysis by ESPN's KC Joyner, which said that Cody was in the Alabama defensive lineup on 122 of 281 plays in a four-game SEC series. I think this is where your "he's a two-downer an McClain is good w/out him"-argument is coming from. I'd like to post a link but I can't (my post count is too low). You might go to ESPN Insider, look for a Joyner article on Cody.

I understand what you're trying to say....and Cody is the ideal nose tackle....my point is he's not worth a 1st round pick....it's a reach IMO....
I see. Now my point of view is that Cody, based on his physical talent alone, is worth the risk. And if you would like to see him in a Dolphin uniform, you have to draft him 1st round. He won't be available in the 2nd, because he won't get past the Steelers (IMHO the absolute lowest Cody will possibly fall).

Vince Wilfork was a much better nose tackle prospect that could also play other techniques and stay on the field.....he lasted until the 21st pick...
Yes, but this was at a time when few teams ran a 3-4. Nowadays half of the league does it, and only the Cowboys, Browns, Patriots, Ravens and Jets have found their perfect NT (probably Packers, too). The rest of the 3-4 teams either has an aging NT they're looking to replace (Chargers, Steelers, Dolphins) or hasn't any (Broncos, Chiefs, 49ers).

greasyObnoxious
11-26-2009, 12:02 PM
T Yes, but this was at a time when few teams ran a 3-4. Nowadays half of the league does it, and only the Cowboys, Browns, Patriots, Ravens and Jets have found their perfect NT (probably Packers, too). The rest of the 3-4 teams either has an aging NT they're looking to replace (Chargers, Steelers, Dolphins) are hasn't any (Broncos, Chiefs, 49ers).

you might want to re-think that. Aubrayo Franklin is establishing himself as a pretty good NT. i wouldn't mind getting him in FA, if the 49ers are dumb enough to let him go.

TedSlimmJr
11-26-2009, 12:13 PM
There is an analysis by ESPN's KC Joyner, which said that Cody was in the Alabama defensive lineup on 122 of 281 plays in a four-game SEC series. I think this is where your "he's a two-downer an McClain is good w/out him"-argument is coming from. I'd like to post a link but I can't (my post count is too low). You might go to ESPN Insider, look for a Joyner article on Cody.

I see. Now my point of view is that Cody, based on his physical talent alone, is worth the risk. And if you would like to see him in a Dolphin uniform, you have to draft him 1st round. He won't be available in the 2nd, because he won't get past the Steelers (IMHO the absolute lowest Cody will possibly fall).

Yes, but this was at a time when few teams ran a 3-4. Nowadays half of the league does it, and only the Cowboys, Browns, Patriots, Ravens and Jets have found their perfect NT (probably Packers, too). The rest of the 3-4 teams either has an aging NT they're looking to replace (Chargers, Steelers, Dolphins) are hasn't any (Broncos, Chiefs, 49ers).

As far as I know KC Joyner's statistical analysis don't come out until after the season is over.....

But you're out of your mind......I'm in Bryant Denny stadium watching Bama play at least one Saturday a month....attending the A-Games and practices in the spring......and I watched McClain play more Friday nights for DHS than you and me could count on both of our fingers and toes....

I WATCH McClain dominate while Cody is over on the sidelines sucking wind....I WATCH McClain run Saban's defense for him.....

I would like to see Cody succeed....no matter what uniform he's in....but there's other players that I like better for Miami as potential nose tackles.....I know you're a noob....probably wouldn't hurt you to root around in some of these threads and read more when you have some time to kill....

And I'll be more than glad to differ with you as to whether Cody makes it out of the 1st round or not.....because it's not NEARLY as clear cut as you think....I don't care how many "mock drafts" you see otherwise....

Clipse
11-26-2009, 12:18 PM

That analysis didn't have to say that Cody isn't in because he lacks the stamina.....THAT came straight from the horse's mouth....Nick Saban's...

I know exactly how good Bama's defense is....but EVERY defense on planet Earth faces 3rd and long situations more often than they face 3rd and short....no matter how good or bad they are...

Bama's defense has faced 3rd (or 4th) down and 3 yards or less 26 times against BCS competition so far...

20 of those 26 times teams have chosen to run the ball.....converting 14 of those.......or 70% success rate...

The other 6 times teams have chosen to pass.....converting 4 times.....or 66% success rate...

Do you believe any overweight, one-dimensional, run stuffing, defensive tackle that commands double teams and tires out quickly should be in high demand, or just Terrence Cody?

There's a reason why B.J. Raji was a top 10 pick and his one dimensional, run plugging teammate, Ron Brace, lasted until the 2nd round...

As a proud Bama guy of over 40 years....nobody would like to see Cody succeed more than me....but he's a risky player to be using a 1st round pick on....

1st round picks should be used on players that the opposition is going to have to game plan for....a player who's draft selection and salary is going to equal his production and impact on the field....which is probably why you haven't seen these guys draft too many nose tackles high in the draft...
Couldn't agree more. 1st round draft picks should be used for playmakers. Granted, NT is the most important position of the 3-4, and Cody is one hell of a run stuffer. But he has serious stamina issues that will cause him to fall to the end of the 1st, if not out of the 1st all together. This draft has quite a few prospects I like better than Cody.

phoenixphinfan
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I think the thing with Cody that you have to look at is this. Alabama ranked 2nd in Rushing defense, yealding 77.08 yrds a game. You usually run the ball on first and second down, which means Alabama was getting these teams in 3rd and long alot. You look at any team out there in the NFL that gets a team in 3rd and long and they are taking out their big guys and putting in the pass rushing people. If it is 3rd and 2, 3, or 4 your big guy is staying in. I think the stamina plays a little bit into it, but I think he only plays half the time because of that run defense and getting those teams in 3rd and long situations. I don't know about you guys, but I think I would take someone that can help us get teams in the 3rd and long situations. I don't think it would be a wasted pick to get Cody, but I don't think he will be there when we pick later in the draft. I wouldn't mind getting Mcclain either. The play he made on Tebow was pretty impressive and showed his quickness and ability to tackle which we have been lacking.

3rdandinches
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
No...not every true NT is a 2 down player....

The fact that more teams run a 3-4 defense now doesn't put more of a premium on NT's and pass rushing OLB's......the premium has always been on pass rushers in the draft no matter what....

What the premium is on now is finding those pass rushers that can do it from both a 2-point stance AND with their hand on the ground....that can also drop into coverage and play in space, etc...

The key to a 3/4 is having a good NT....but that doesn't mean you start using 1st round picks on them just because more teams are trying to run it now...

It's interesting you mentioned Franklin (5th round pick)......most of the top nose tackles in the NFL were mid-late round picks....

Usually the ones that were 1st round picks were also the one's that could stay on the field and play other techniques...

What about Cody makes you think he's a potential "great" one anyway?

At no point did I say Cody would be great, I said if you believe a NT to be good or great then you take him in the first. This stupidity that you can pick a NT in the late rounds to get a great one is based on a few players that panned out but there is tonnes moret that didn't. By that logic I guess we can take a franchise QB in the 6th because T.Brady is so good or T.Romo is too. V.Wilfork 1st (21), H.Ngahta 1st (12), C.Hampton 1st (19) K.Jenkins 2nd, R.Pickett 1st (29) are all top NT`s right now in the league, it seems to be a pretty good idea to draft them in the 1st.

Majority of NT's come off the field in 3rd and long pass situations, Wilfork, Jenkins and Franklin this not some shocking revelation. And yes NT become a premium when more teams need one that is simple supply and demand not rocket science. Of course pass rushers are always at a premium so are franchise QB's, #1 WR's, shutdown CB`s but if 4 teams in the NFL ran a 34 defense then NT`s get pushed down the nfl draft.

TedSlimmJr
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
At no point did I say Cody would be great, I said if you believe a NT to be good or great then you take him in the first. This stupidity that you can pick a NT in the late rounds to get a great one is based on a few players that panned out but there is tonnes moret that didn't. By that logic I guess we can take a franchise QB in the 6th because T.Brady is so good or T.Romo is too. V.Wilfork 1st (21), H.Ngahta 1st (12), C.Hampton 1st (19) K.Jenkins 2nd, R.Pickett 1st (29) are all top NT`s right now in the league, it seems to be a pretty good idea to draft them in the 1st.

Majority of NT's come off the field in 3rd and long pass situations, Wilfork, Jenkins and Franklin this not some shocking revelation. And yes NT become a premium when more teams need one that is simple supply and demand not rocket science. Of course pass rushers are always at a premium so are franchise QB's, #1 WR's, shutdown CB`s but if 4 teams in the NFL ran a 34 defense then NT`s get pushed down the nfl draft.

What you're not considering is Wilfork, Ngata, etc...can also stay on the field and play other techniques....they stay on the field and play end....etc..

Guys like Wilfork, Ngata, Hampton, etc...didn't have the stamina/weight concerns that Cody has...

I never said that it's absurd or anything to pick a NT in the 1st round......I've simply said from day 1 (going back into the summer before the season even started) that I would prefer Dan Williams over Cody...and that IMO Williams would eventually be mentioned as 1st round talent....when nobody even knew who he was...

Why? Because I watch a lot of college football......you're right.....this isn't rocket science...

GeauxFinns3705
12-09-2009, 07:38 AM
hes wayyy to fat... needs to lose like 40 lbs

Good Call, Oracle. Hes just too damn heavy. Size doesn't make a guy unmovable. What makes a guy unmovable is his ability to fight the center/guard resistance and take up space. If you are too fat to do that, they don't need to move you, they just need to seal you.

I would love to have a 335-340 lb Terrence Cody. The 375 TC isn't long for the NFL.

Give me Rolando McClain anyway.