PDA

View Full Version : I want Dez Bryant....

The Chaos Path
10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Considering the level of talent in this year's draft and all of the more GLARING holes in the bottom half of the league, I'd say the Fins have a LEGIT shot at snagging Dez Bryant. I just can't think of many teams who have WR as their no.1 priority like the Fins do.

DEZ! PLLEEEEEAASSEEE!

AdamC13
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I will second that. Perhaps take Shipley in the 3rd round if available as well. Time to provide Henne with some real weapons that will truly stretch the field AND make plays.

oasis
10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I think even with #1 WR being a glaring need, the front office is more likely to use a first rounder on a stud NT if one is still available.

clownfish
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I think even with #1 WR being a glaring need, the front office is more likely to use a first rounder on a stud NT if one is still available.

Or Taylor Mays if he is there when we pick.

BigNastyDB13
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Jermaine Gresham would work too.

finjim
10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
LMAO, just say no to Dez Bryant. You do know he is suspended for the rest of the season, right?

dahlmarino
10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
LMAO, just say no to Dez Bryant. You do know he is suspended for the rest of the season, right?

Yep. For lying. I see a real character issue here. C'mon, man!

finjim
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh, I thought it was for other issues, you know....

crack or heroin or something.

skipp2myloo13
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Draft forum!

Valandui
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I like Decker from Minnesota as well. I think he could be great here.

#1dolphinsfan
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I would like Bryant if we can get McClain

justdev7
10-28-2009, 07:02 PM
probably not the right place for this post but I completely agree. I made the same post on the draft forum and I also think that there are two others that could fill the hole. Arruelius Benn is a freak of nature. He's not as much of a sure thing as Dez Bryant but physically he has more potential. Imagine a bigger faster Anquan Boldin. But If Dez is still there we have to pull the trigger. he's 6'2" and he returns punts, that's rare. Guys that big don't usually have that kind of agility. The other guy is Brandon LaFell. He's a guy that could go either way. I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on him, but mid to late 2nd if we go defense in the first round.

dahlmarino
10-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh, I thought it was for other issues, you know....

crack or heroin or something.

It's kind of an odd situation. He had talked with Deion Sanders, and when asked about it, he said he had not, thinking that maybe he had violated an NCAA rule. It turned out that he hadn't violated a rule, but the NCAA didn't like the fact that he had lied and suspended him. That's the nutshell version of his suspension, and I personally think it's a little over-the-top on the NCAA's part. Take it for what it's worth.

dahlmarino
10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
probably not the right place for this post but I completely agree. I made the same post on the draft forum and I also think that there are two others that could fill the hole. Arruelius Benn is a freak of nature. He's not as much of a sure thing as Dez Bryant but physically he has more potential. Imagine a bigger faster Anquan Boldin. But If Dez is still there we have to pull the trigger. he's 6'2" and he returns punts, that's rare. Guys that big don't usually have that kind of agility. The other guy is Brandon LaFell. He's a guy that could go either way. I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on him, but mid to late 2nd if we go defense in the first round.

I think Benn and LaFell are still unpolished. Benn's play has especially dropped this year, and I think the last thing this team needs is another freakish WR dropping catchable passes. Bryant will probably be a little rusty, but I'd still take him over those 2, and most of the other WR's available this year.

AdamC13
10-28-2009, 07:27 PM

Worked out and had dinner with Deon Sanders. When asked about it by NCAA said he didn't. Young kid, will learn his lesson.

AdamC13
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Or Taylor Mays if he is there when we pick.
No arguments with drafting Taylor Mays if still on the board. Is a game changer like Patrick Willis. Skills like his don't come along often. Can build a defense around this type of player.

TimeGap
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I like that Thomas kid from GT.

mmikel30
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
probably not the right place for this post but I completely agree. I made the same post on the draft forum and I also think that there are two others that could fill the hole. Arruelius Benn is a freak of nature. He's not as much of a sure thing as Dez Bryant but physically he has more potential. Imagine a bigger faster Anquan Boldin. But If Dez is still there we have to pull the trigger. he's 6'2" and he returns punts, that's rare. Guys that big don't usually have that kind of agility. The other guy is Brandon LaFell. He's a guy that could go either way. I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on him, but mid to late 2nd if we go defense in the first round.I don't want guys who have size speed who are promising but have yet to show it...I'm tierd of those types of players give me a guy who has great hands plays hard and is consistent guys like hines ward

WildPatWV
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Dez has made his living in the NCAA making tough catches, his hands are great.

As far as athletic ability.....Any questions??

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

JCane
10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
You want a guy who isn't going to play a single snap of football until September of 2010? Not sure if I want to spend my first round pick on a guy who hasn't played football in a while.

Taylor Mays? Please. I want a football player.

JCane
10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
No arguments with drafting Taylor Mays if still on the board. Is a game changer like Patrick Willis. Skills like his don't come along often. Can build a defense around this type of player.

Taylor Mays hasn't impacted a game this season for the Trojans. Now, Eric Berry...THAT'S a game changer.

DearbornDolfan
10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Dear God, I thought Superman was a white newspaper journalist?!

DearbornDolfan
10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
You want a guy who isn't going to play a single snap of football until September of 2010? Not sure if I want to spend my first round pick on a guy who hasn't played football in a while.

Not a given that he won't play. I believe his suspension is under appeal. Even if he doesn't win, he's still working on his skills and talent like that doesn't just evaporate.

JCane
10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Not a given that he won't play. I believe his suspension is under appeal. Even if he doesn't win, he's still working on his skills and talent like that doesn't just evaporate.

He's more than likely not going to win that appeal. Dez Bryant is an incredible talent but this absolutely hurts his draft value. There's a risk involved now that wasn't there in the beginning. I think we end up in the 15 - 22 range and I think that is where Dez Bryant drops to depending on how well he performs at the combine. He absolutely MUST go to a combine and perform well if he wants to elevate his stock again.

X-Pacolypse
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
I like that Thomas kid from GT.

I like you're thinking!

DearbornDolfan
10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
He's more than likely not going to win that appeal. Dez Bryant is an incredible talent but this absolutely hurts his draft value. There's a risk involved now that wasn't there in the beginning. I think we end up in the 15 - 22 range and I think that is where Dez Bryant drops to depending on how well he performs at the combine. He absolutely MUST go to a combine and perform well if he wants to elevate his stock again.

I agree that because of "character concerns" he'll be a mid-first pick, but I don't know that any level of performance at the combine will boost that. But that's fine with me, because I WANT him to drop to us. At that point we would be forced to take him, because WR play (specifically Ginn's) has directly resulted in two losses.

If the Fins are to make a run at the Super Bowl, we need a real #1 who is going to come up big, the kind of guy that enables the team to get into aerial dogfights with the likes of the Saints and Colts. Bryant at #1, Ginn/Hartline/Camarillo at #2, and Bess/Turner at #3? I'll take that all day and then some. Not only does that make the passing game dangerous, but it also opens the run game up.

JCane
10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I agree that because of "character concerns" he'll be a mid-first pick, but I don't know that any level of performance at the combine will boost that. But that's fine with me, because I WANT him to drop to us. At that point we would be forced to take him, because WR play (specifically Ginn's) has directly resulted in two losses.

If the Fins are to make a run at the Super Bowl, we need a real #1 who is going to come up big, the kind of guy that enables the team to get into aerial dogfights with the likes of the Saints and Colts. Bryant at #1, Ginn/Hartline/Camarillo at #2, and Bess/Turner at #3? I'll take that all day and then some. Not only does that make the passing game dangerous, but it also opens the run game up.

We definitely need a true #1 but I don't think Bryant drops because of "character concerns." I think what happened with him and Deion Sanders will be shrugged off by probably every team in the league. I think a teams biggest concern about Bryant will be how did the layoff from the game affect him. This is essentially the same as the Michael Vick situation. Every team knew Vick was an incredible athlete but how would the time away from the game affect Vick's ability when he returned. We now see the result of the time away from the game. I'm not saying that Bryant will suffer the same fall off because he certainly won't. He's younger and still in great shape. Bryant will make a difference for some team in this league and before his suspension, I was all for drafting Dez Bryant. But now you have to be careful with Bryant and understand what kind of player he will be until he adjusts to the speed of the game once again. The speed from college to the pros is a significant transition and now you're going from not playing at all to playing wih the big boys of the NFL.

DearbornDolfan
10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I like your thinking!

Thomas is good, but the problem with the offense he's in is that you can't really judge how much of his game you've seen and how much is untapped potential. A good third round pick with the possibility of being a huge steal, but not somebody you take in the first day.

DearbornDolfan
10-28-2009, 10:10 PM
*snip*

Some teams WILL take him off their board because of "character concerns", not because he had lunch with Sanders (which he payed for anyway) but because he lied in fear of possible repercussions. I don't think the Fins would be one of those teams, because Sparano's up front about rules and expectations, unlike the NCAA which has a thousand obscure rules and isn't up front about them.

As for his level of play, I agree the possibility is there. But you simply don't pass up on guys like this. Look at his combination of size, speed, and hands and then compare them against receivers of similar physical talent and the year they were drafted.

2003: Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson
2004: Larry Fitzgerald
2006: Marques Colston

FinaticalOne
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I love the Eric Berry pick, he is a playmaker. But I think we use our first pick at another position since we already used a 1 and a 2 in the secondary last year, that is already a lot of money tied up in one area of the defense. The high pick will go somewhere else this time...

If Aerrilious Benn declares to come out, I say we HAVE to snatch him up if he's there at our pick. We will regret it, if we don't.

but I still think we will go NT with our first pick....Ndamukong Suh or Terrence Cody. I also like ILB Rolando McClain if he declares.

JCane
10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Suh is one hell of a player but for our defensive scheme, he doesn't fit. Cody is a MUCH better fit for what we run.

ChadHenne
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Eric Berry is one of those players that every team wants. It really doesn't matter if it is a need position on your team or not, when a talent like Berry's comes around, you do not pass on it. Probably why he'll be drafted in the top 3. It would take one hell of a package, well beyond our control, to get Berry.

Dez Bryant is looking like a realistic shot, and he is head and shoulders the best WR in this upcoming draft imo. We'd be lucky for him to fall to us.

However, if Spikes/Mays/Bryant/McClain are all by some miracle available to us at our draft slot, its going to be a tough call.

Dogbone34
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Assuming we're somewhere around 12-17, I'm looking: Taylor Mays (probably gone), Jermaine Gresham, Dez Bryant, Brandon Spikes.

utahphinsfan
10-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Dez Bryant? Perhaps. Shipley? Maybe. But, you all have the right conference.... Kerry Meier at Kansas.

He is a former QB who goes 6'3" 220 lbs... Brother is former NFL TE Shad Meier.

KM could even be a Wildcat option. But, probably not the best option to help in the return game. I'd say Meier in the 3rd round. After McClain (1st) & Chris Jones (FS LSU 2nd)

Quadfather
10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I think we have a realistic shot at getting terrance cody and id be very pleased if we did. I really want taylor mays or berry but i doubt we pick in the top 10 next year and those guys are gonna go in the top 10.

miami234ever
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Dez Bryant is the only WR I would want from this draft. Benn isn't polished enough for me, Lafell isn't fast enough for me, and Decker doesn't have close to enough potential for me. Bryant gets good YAC, has good hands, and can go up and fight for the ball. Bryant or a vet for the Dolphins next off-season.

rev kev
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM

True Dat

ArmyFin7
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
More than a WR or a NT, I want a beastly TE!!! Gresham would be my pick.

thejetssuck
10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I think we will have to lose A LOT more games this season if we wanna have any shot at landing Dez Bryant. I think most teams aren't really gonna give a crap about his suspension see as what a petty offense it was. Plus, history shows the tuna doesn't like using 1st rd picks on receivers. I would be stoked if we landed Bryant though.

bpackers13
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
why has this thread not been moved to the Draft Forum?

nosleep
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Give me Vincent Jackson and draft a solid rookie ILB and TE.

mmikel30
10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Give me Vincent Jackson and draft a solid rookie ILB and TE.I'm for that

FinsFanatic777
10-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm all for Dez Bryant. Henne's stats look mediocre at best, but that's because every single one of the Dolphins receivers (WR, RB, TE) drop the most catchable passes.

Dolphins needs:
NT: Ferguson is getting old. Please don't get Cody; all of his power revolves around his fat, not muscle (he needs a bra too). He won't last.
WR: No explanation needed. If Bryant is taken by the time we pick, do NOT pick a receiver. Bryant or none.
TE: Fasano has been terrible this year. Gresham is kind of a risky pick, and I'm not sold on him.
OLD/DE: Porter and Taylor are getting older by the year. We need a MLB too, but our pass rushers are getting old.
RB: It's a strength of the team, but age is the only concern. Brown is 28, and Williams is 32. RB's usually tail off as they reach their 30's, and I would be ecstatic if we could land (but not overreach) for Jahvid Best. Imagine Best running the wildcat with his blazing speed (he probably can run as fast as Ginn and even catch better than him).

But, I think the Dolphins HAVE to take Dez Bryant if he is there. Even if Parcells doesn't like drafting WR high, we keep wasting garbage 4th and 5th round picks on receivers that have no chance of succeeding. Chad Henne needs help fast, and Bryant is definitely the person for it.