3-Aaron Hernandez-Florida
4-Javier Arenas-CB/KR-Alabama
6-Kyle McCarthey-S-Notre Dame
6B (from Redskins in JT Trade):Jay Ross-NT-East Carolina
7A: Joe Pawelek-ILB-Baylor
7B (From Chiefs): Ben Tate-RB-Auburn

Chubby
10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Drisc, looks like we are going into an uncapped year next year. Do you think this will generate more movement by teams looking to move up to grab someone they want.

If we are going to be stuck with a top 10 pick this year as we might, this might be the year to make a splash by moving around the board and picking up picks.
Chubbs

RealDriscoll
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I think uncapped fairs well for Vincent Jackson, Braylon Edwards, Shawn Merriman, Julius Peppers and the rest of the free agent crop. I think Parcells will stick to his proccess which is to build via the draft and not overspend on free agents. I see us looking for a #1 Wide Receiver in Free Agency and could see Braylon Edwards and Vincent Jackson becoming viable options or targets. We need to improve the middle of our defense including Nose Tackle, Middle Linebacker, and Safety. I think Tyrone Culver can surprise some people and I am very high on Chris Clemons. I think the progression of Paul Soliai is encouraging and hopefully we can keep Big Ferg around another year. I wouldn't mind locking up JT for another eyar or two; he has earned it. Terrence cody is a possibility in round 1 but his weight issues could raise a red flag. Rolando McClain is a Parcells type. Smart, good size, good speed, plays his position, solid tackler, good playmakers.

dolfan91
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Driscoll, i think your missing another 6th round draft pick Miami received from KC ... i think Miami has 3 6th rounders and no 5th..

ebcrew
10-29-2009, 02:13 PM
tate droppin till the 7th round, dude is beasting

DearbornDolfan
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't possibly justify passing on Dez Bryant. Not drafting him because it would be too expensive to trade up, yes, but no way in hell does Miami allow Bryant to fall past them.

RealDriscoll
10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Dearborne,

You got to watch some tape on Rolando McClain and that will show why you pass on Bryant.

jim1
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't see how Ben Tate could fall that far. If you took that draft and substituted Bryant/Benn for McClain, I'd be happy with it. I'm still trying to get a handle on McClain v Brandon Spikes and I'm wondering if Spikes is a guy who you hope slides into the 2nd, into your lap or trade up.. Hughes and Hernandez are both very good.

RealDriscoll
10-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I love Spikes but McClain is the better player. I have some tape on both players and would be happy to send anyone some copies or maybe load them online. McClain is quicker to the ball than Spikes and is stronger in pass coverage. Spikes is the harder hitter but his supporting cast in Florida helps cover him when he blows some assignments. I would argue that Middle Linebacker is the biggest need on the team

RealDriscoll
10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I love Bryant and Benn as Prospects but feel we will settle our need at Reciever via trade or free agency. I could see us sending Ginn and another player for Bowe.

ChadHenne
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I think that is actually some very good work on the first round (given what the national projections are currently). I actually applaud you, always impossible to predict the 2nd and 3rd rounds this early, given trades, earlier picks going differently, etc...

However, I do gotta say, while it's not your fault, the Dolphins homerism that we all have would love to get a first round potential guy in Hughes in the 2nd round, and local product (and star player) Aaron Hernandez in the 3rd, however Hughes is probably going in the late 1st, very early 2nd, and Hernandez probably is another 2nd rounder as well.

But I do applaud you, one of the most accurate predictions I've seen on any site thus far, however I do feel Locker and Claussen's stock falls quite a bit from now till the draft, but that is all my opinion. I've looked at these picks, and most of these seem to fit a need pick, and most of the 1st round picks make sense for the teams involved, Bravo, seriously, its really hard to find someone who actually puts some serious thought and makes a well rounded mock.

DOC33
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't see how Ben Tate could fall that far. If you took that draft and substituted Bryant/Benn for McClain, I'd be happy with it. I'm still trying to get a handle on McClain v Brandon Spikes and I'm wondering if Spikes is a guy who you hope slides into the 2nd, into your lap or trade up.. Hughes and Hernandez are both very good.

Benn or Bryant is going to take 2-3 years before they are NFL ready and Bryant has suspect speed to be an NFL #1. Damian Williams is the most NFL ready of all of the recievers in this years draft and would also be able to handle our punt returns. He is not physically as intimidating as Benn and Bryant but he is not small either at 6ft 195 lbs. Think a Reggie Wayne type WR. All that being said I would go with McClain as well, he is the type of playmaker that this D needs and should be able to step in immediately as he plays in a 3-4 system very similar to MIA's. He would immediately become the best cover MLB that we have.

WelcomeBack
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
I love Bryant and Benn as Prospects but feel we will settle our need at Reciever via trade or free agency. I could see us sending Ginn and another player for Bowe.

If we pick up a Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe in the off-season, I see no problem with that draft.

I really like McClain...wouldn't mind either Hughes or Sapp...but kind of hope Kindle drops there too. It may be a homer pick, but if we look tight end, I like McCoy.

Ozfin77
10-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice work man and especially love the 1st Round pick.....REALLY hoping it pans out that way for us!

CW_McGraw
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
This isn't really directly Fins related, but whatever. You have Carlos Dunlap going to the Jets as a DE. Do you think he'll work as a 3-4 DE or will he become a hybrid player like Terrell Suggs? He's certainly big enough to play the 5 technique 3-4 DE role, but he's such a freak that it seems like it'd be a waste.

BobDole
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
This isn't really directly Fins related, but whatever. You have Carlos Dunlap going to the Jets as a DE. Do you think he'll work as a 3-4 DE or will he become a hybrid player like Terrell Suggs? He's certainly big enough to play the 5 technique 3-4 DE role, but he's such a freak that it seems like it'd be a waste.

no way he goes to a 3-4 team. you don't waste talent like that to take up blockers. he's in the mario williams/julius peppers mold - if he goes to a 3-4 team i would be shocked. he belongs in a 4-3 - where he can utilize his strengths and terrorize quarterbacks.

and while that was a good mock driscoll, no way he drops to 16. i don't see there being any possibility of him and berry not being the first two defensive players taken. it's just not happening - unless the raiders are in charge of all the picks this year.

it should go like this defensively:

1. dunlap
2. berry
3. mcclain
4. suh
5. spikes
6. haden
7. mccoy
8. hardy
9. kindle
10. morgan

DearbornDolfan
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Dearborne,

You got to watch some tape on Rolando McClain and that will show why you pass on Bryant.

I know McClain is good, with the possibility of being in the same class as guys like Ray Lewis. But the thing is, you can get a very good ILB in just about any draft class, the same can't be said of a WR with Fitz/Johnson/Colston physical attributes and skills, like Bryant.

DearbornDolfan
10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I love Bryant and Benn as Prospects but feel we will settle our need at Reciever via trade or free agency.

That's iffy, though. The next year is going to be uncapped and I don't see any team letting go of their star receivers.

I could see us sending Ginn and another player for Bowe.

I know Ginn is getting some flak and it's understandable, but Ginn's value as a #2 renders moot the acquisition of any #1 if you trade him to get that #1. Get rid of Ginn and teams can suddenly afford to double the #1 and don't have to respect the vertical passing game as much.

ZILLA
10-30-2009, 06:06 PM
no way he goes to a 3-4 team. you don't waste talent like that to take up blockers. he's in the mario williams/julius peppers mold - if he goes to a 3-4 team i would be shocked. he belongs in a 4-3 - where he can utilize his strengths and terrorize quarterbacks.

and while that was a good mock driscoll, no way he drops to 16. i don't see there being any possibility of him and berry not being the first two defensive players taken. it's just not happening - unless the raiders are in charge of all the picks this year.

1. dunlap
2. berry
3. mcclain
4. suh
5. spikes
6. haden
7. mccoy
8. hardy
9. kindle
10. morgan

you must be a gator homer

dunlap is lazyyyyyyyyyy...

Pinkboy
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone who rates Dunlap over Eric Berry is a fool.

Roman529
10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice picks but where are the Wide Receivers??? Don't you think we need a #1 WR or at least some additions at WR? I really like Jerry Hughes from TCU but wouldn't mind Golden Tate, WR from Notre Dame, in Round 2.

X-Pacolypse
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Not bad. I'm not that high on Arenas. At least not as a CB for this regime. I mean Davis 5'11 and Smith is 6'3. Arenas is a midget by comparison.

BobDole
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

don't get me wrong - i think berry is the better player as well - but safeties don't have anything on defensive ends come draft day. just how it is.

BobDole
10-30-2009, 11:58 PM
you must be a gator homer

dunlap is lazyyyyyyyyyy...

i'll admit i'm a total gators homer - but it doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about. lazy? say what?

mmikel30
10-31-2009, 11:58 PM
If we pick up a Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe in the off-season, I see no problem with that draft.

I really like McClain...wouldn't mind either Hughes or Sapp...but kind of hope Kindle drops there too. It may be a homer pick, but if we look tight end, I like McCoy.bowe wouldn't be a free agent and we don't need to give up draft pics id rather have dez bryant than bowe either way

Clipse
11-01-2009, 12:55 AM

1. dunlap
2. berry
3. mcclain
4. suh
5. spikes
6. haden
7. mccoy
8. hardy
9. kindle
10. morgan
No offense, but putting Dunlap ahead of Berry is foolish.

CedarPhin
11-01-2009, 01:01 AM
I might put McClain ahead of Dunlap too.

BigNastyDB13
11-01-2009, 03:47 AM
i'll admit i'm a total gators homer - but it doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about. lazy? say what?

You've got Spikes going ahead of McCoy. Not gonna happen.

BobDole
11-01-2009, 04:45 AM
No offense, but putting Dunlap ahead of Berry is foolish.

like i said - i think berry is the better player too - but ends own safeties on draft day. just look at the history.

2009 - jackson was 3rd overall with no safety in the first round

2008 - long 2nd overall with phillips going last in the 1st

2007 - adams 4th overall and landry 6th - a good example where the safety was clearly better than the DE - which was obvious even then

2006 - williams 1st overall with huff 7th and whitner 8th

all the way to the best example - 2002 - peppers 2nd overall and ED REED 24th

even if the safety is light years better than the end - the DE gets picked first due to their importance. and although berry is the better player - he's not all that much better than dunlap - whose size (almost 6'6" and pushing 300 lbs - are you kidding me?), speed (moves like a 250 pounder), and strength (it's insane) is the perfect combination for a dominant NFL career. it's just the way it works. draft histories don't lie.

i'm not arguing who is better - i'm saying dunlap will go before berry and that's a fact. i'll wager whatever anyone wants to on that one. dunlap will be the first defensive player taken - and maybe even the first player taken overall - without a doubt in my mind. sorry folks.

hope this post clears up the confusion guys.

BobDole
11-01-2009, 05:11 AM

and in case you were referring to me as a 'fool' (jackass) - i'll just say that was not a rating system. it's the order the defensive players will most likely be picked. so there. ;)

FinsFanatic777
11-01-2009, 12:29 PM
and in case you were referring to me as a 'fool' (jackass) - i'll just say that was not a rating system. it's the order the defensive players will most likely be picked. so there. ;)

BobDole is right. Even though Eric Berry is the most talented player on the draft, safeties rarely get drafted so high. Pass rushers are much more valued in drafts than safeties, which is why there are so many reaches for them on draft day (Jacksonville reached both a couple years ago, Mario Williams [yes he's a stud but everyone thought the Texans reached], Tyson Jackson, Vernon Gholston, etc...). You never see a safety picked this high.

TedSlimmJr
11-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Gotta agree with Bob here.....Berry is the best player in the draft IMO....which automatically makes him the best defensive player on the board...

But top 5 picks are reserved for QB's, DT's, DE's, OT's, 99% of the time.....the amount of guaranteed money plays a huge factor.....it's slotted by draft position.....and you rarely see teams willing to pay that much money for a safety....

If Berry were 6-3, 230....he'd be a lock to go in the top 5 IMO....but he's not....

This is where the draft gets screwy.....you're almost forced to pass on the better player because of money....which is why teams love to trade down out of the top 5....

Dunlap is a total upside pick.....because nothing in his game on the field justifies being taken in the top 5....

Cutie
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Don't the Patriots have Oakland's first rounder in a trade for Richard Seymour, I believe? If Oakland is going to be in the top 10, oh my . . . .

NRA
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
as soon as i saw the dolphins select a defensive player
with their first pick, the mock was OVER!!

yes, a defender or two is needed. but, we should use free agency
and pick up GOOD defenders.

miami needs to have an ALL OUT offensive off season and draft.

ricky is leaving. ronnie brown AGAIN shows that unless the wildcat is
running on ALL cylinders, he cant make big plays. the guy hasnt been able
to CONSISTANTLY make plays from standard run formations.

lets not even talk about our "wr's". we have MAYBE one in brian hartline.

our defense has some glitches, but what if, even with those glitchez miami
had even a respectable passing offense, where would we be right now?

most likely 6-1.

for gods sake, lets get off of this draft defense first every friggin' year or
fat o-line guys. lets FINALLY take some playmakers who can give us the
PRECIOUS POINTS we need to win.

HE WITH THE MOST POINTS WINS!!!!!!

That's part of the game. They've got more points than you do."
-tony dungy

RealDriscoll
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
New England has Oakland's 1st Rounder in the 2011 NFL Draft for Richard Seymour

ticophin
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Needs.....
OLB.....Wake and Moses are behind JT and JP, we have some depth
DE.......Dotson and Merling behind Starks and Langford
ILB.....Torbor behind Crowder and Ayodele........COULD UPGRADE, no difference maker here
WR.....We have 258 #2 and #3 WRs, If there is a REAL gem, we need to upgrade
TE...before the season, I thought we were set....Fasanos play has made this position an area of need...Haynos has been a pleasant surpise
NT Soliai is finally playing like we would like him to play.....His improval and internship behind Fergie have been KEY....Ih he continues to improve, we dont need a pick here, maybe for depth if Fergie hangs em..
Turner, Hilliard, and Nalbone HAVE TO SHOW SOMETHING out of the ordinary in order for this FO not to adress the position
My 2 cents

Canadi-Phin
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
McClain would be a great pick and best player available at that time. This regime wants to build a solid running game and a great defense. Akin is on his way out with the pick of McClain. Look at what a great MLB does to a team. Changes it completely. Someone who can cover and make tackles behind the line is a huge asset. Plus moving Channing over would drastically improve his abilities.

BobDole
11-04-2009, 01:03 AM
as soon as i saw the dolphins select a defensive player
with their first pick, the mock was OVER!!

yes, a defender or two is needed. but, we should use free agency
and pick up GOOD defenders.

miami needs to have an ALL OUT offensive off season and draft.

ricky is leaving. ronnie brown AGAIN shows that unless the wildcat is
running on ALL cylinders, he cant make big plays. the guy hasnt been able
to CONSISTANTLY make plays from standard run formations.

lets not even talk about our "wr's". we have MAYBE one in brian hartline.

our defense has some glitches, but what if, even with those glitchez miami
had even a respectable passing offense, where would we be right now?

most likely 6-1.

for gods sake, lets get off of this draft defense first every friggin' year or
fat o-line guys. lets FINALLY take some playmakers who can give us the
PRECIOUS POINTS we need to win.

HE WITH THE MOST POINTS WINS!!!!!!

-tony dungy

i don't even know where to begin with this one. so it's the offense that's the problem now? the offense that's been putting up like 30 a game? the only weapon we need on offense is a #1 receiver - who probably wouldn't develop into one right away anyway. since henne needs that guy immediately - free agency is the way to go on that one.

we need defense. now and badly. so free agency is the only place to go to find GOOD defenders now? see i thought that was where you go to overpay for older guys. my mistake. we absolutely, positively need to draft an ILB in the first round - unless by some miracle the teams that picked before us lost their minds and passed on berry.

ricky isn't going anywhere and brown is an animal. besides that, no way would we draft a running back early anyhow. no need at that position whatsoever.

the receiving core is mediocre - i'll give you that. but it's not b/c they're all terrible - it's b/c we don't have a consistent/legitimate playmaker at that position. i wouldn't at all be upset if we drafted benn but then we take the chance of him taking a few years to develop into 'that guy' - a luxury we cannot afford.

the defense has been putrid. parcells teams are hard rushing, smothering defense teams. we've got one down, time to get the other. the defense has been the reason we've been losing these games, in case you haven't been watching. ILB is the first step IMO. spikes or mcclain. done. then a cover safety is the next priority. there are a few on my radar (thomas, chancellor, allen, stuckey) that are worth a serious look. done. just solidifying those two positions alone would make our defense monumentally better. another really good pass rushing OLB is another one we could use - since you can't have enough of those in a 3-4 and taylor might be retiring after the season. a few on my radar are hughes, kindle, cunningham, lang, norwood, and selvie. NT is another one - ferg could retire and soliai may not continue his high level of play. dan williams, cody, odrick, udofia, and cam thomas all are guys i've got an eye on. to be completely honest, i wouldn't be mad if we picked defensive players with every single pick. that's how badly we need them.

the he with the most points wins was my favorite part. how'd that go for ANY of those teams that marino was breaking pass records for and putting up 35 a game? defense is what we need. and we need it now.

Clipse
11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
like i said - i think berry is the better player too - but ends own safeties on draft day. just look at the history.

2009 - jackson was 3rd overall with no safety in the first round

2008 - long 2nd overall with phillips going last in the 1st

2007 - adams 4th overall and landry 6th - a good example where the safety was clearly better than the DE - which was obvious even then

2006 - williams 1st overall with huff 7th and whitner 8th

all the way to the best example - 2002 - peppers 2nd overall and ED REED 24th

even if the safety is light years better than the end - the DE gets picked first due to their importance. and although berry is the better player - he's not all that much better than dunlap - whose size (almost 6'6" and pushing 300 lbs - are you kidding me?), speed (moves like a 250 pounder), and strength (it's insane) is the perfect combination for a dominant NFL career. it's just the way it works. draft histories don't lie.

i'm not arguing who is better - i'm saying dunlap will go before berry and that's a fact. i'll wager whatever anyone wants to on that one. dunlap will be the first defensive player taken - and maybe even the first player taken overall - without a doubt in my mind. sorry folks.

hope this post clears up the confusion guys.
Ends own safeties. As Sparano said, you can never have enough pass rushers. But the fact is, Berry is the best DB prospect to come out in a long time. Dunlap is just another pass rusher. I'd be willing to bet any amount Dunlap won't go before Berry.

BobDole
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Ends own safeties. As Sparano said, you can never have enough pass rushers. But the fact is, Berry is the best DB prospect to come out in a long time. Dunlap is just another pass rusher. I'd be willing to bet any amount Dunlap won't go before Berry.

do it up. i know i'm right so pick a bet and we'll get it done. whatever it is you deem fit - but not anything that will embarrass you too much. ;)

i don't care if berry's the best DB to come since taylor or reed - which he is. safeties don't go top 5. it just doesn't happen. dunlap will go top 5 - berry will go top 10. no question.

and not to go too much into it - dunlap is an athletic freak who is pushing 300 lbs. he's much more than just another pass rusher.

TedSlimmJr
11-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd watch out for the #6 spot to be a VERY HOT spot for teams looking to trade up if Berry makes it out of the top 5.....

The difference in guaranteed money becomes significantly less of a factor after the top 5 picks....

If Berry is still there when the #5 team goes on the clock......whoever is picking 6th better have a switchboard and plenty of hands available.....

...because it's probably going to be worse than Pac-Man in a stripclub with teams "makin' it rain" with draft picks on the other line....

jim1
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
tate droppin till the 7th round, dude is beasting

I watched some of Tate in the Auburn/Ole Miss game. Darned good game, power back with some wheels, compactly built guy. He had a really nice TD run down the left sideline, but watching it made me wonder if he was really a 4.5 guy. Dude looked like an iguana scampering to the end zone. He'll go way higher than 7th rd. imo.

Snead- antoher relatively bad game for him in a bad year. But I look at him and still see potential. Shay Hodge didn't help him on one catch that was reminiscient of the Fasano drop on the throw from Ronnie. Also that pick six- might have been Hodge, not sure. Snake low pass bobbled up to a DB- bad luck for Hodge, but not a good throw, either. Hodge statistically had a good game- he has the look to me. That doesn't mean that he'll pan out as a pro, but I look at him and think yeah, I could see him doing well.

j-off-her-doll
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Drisc, if we do indeed sign a V. Jackson type, I love your mock. Not sure Arenas will be around in the 4th, though.

I'd love to grab Hughes in the 2nd, and McClain is obviously a stud. Hernandez, though, could be a Pro Bowl TE. Sneaky upgrade on offense. Of course, if we don't land a #1 WR away from the draft, everything changes.

hooshoops
11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
if we go into an uncapped year next year (very likely) the vincent jacksons of the world will never come free...they'll be restricted

which means no chance they become phins this offseason.

the truly unrestricted free agent class in that uncapped year scenario is pretty much garbage...and the wr group is even worse...

either gonna have to use a high draft pick on a legit wr or trade for one this offseason.

period

and i agree with tedslimm when he says if eric berry is on the board at #6 that teams phones are gonna be on fire...you do whatever you can to acquire a talent like that.

as for the dolphins give me either rolando mcclain or dez bryant with our mid level top pick...and i'd be stoked to have either.

hooshoops
11-13-2009, 11:53 PM
here's what we'll be looking at in free agency if it's uncapped...barring a few players who will likely be tagged or signed to out of this world contracts a big bag of garbage...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ROADRUNNER
11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
well if miami has #6 pick do we trade.

i say yes just for more picks,