PDA

View Full Version : Marriage/date people of different faith

BE GOOD
11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Will marriage/dating people of different face ever work out/ Yes, i am well aware marriage and dating are way too different.
Feel free to disuccs if either will work.

I just broke up with my gf becasue she doesnt believe in god, which IMO will not work into a long-term relationship over time

aesop
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Will marriage/dating people of different face ever work out/ Yes, i am well aware marriage and dating are way too different.
Feel free to disuccs if either will work.I always try to date someone with a different face. Otherwise, I get reminded of the last face I dated and end up dissatisfied.

Gonzo
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Feel free to disuccs if either will work.

I just broke up with my gf becasue she doesnt believe in god, which IMO will not work into a long-term relationship over time
Yes, it can work out. It depends on how much it matters to you. My wife is Catholic and I am not, yet it's not an issue for us. However, if she was a vegan, we'd never work out. Hell, I've broken up with a girl because she was a vegetarian. Relationships require compromise, and some things can never be compromised. There's nothing wrong with that.

Tetragrammaton
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Well.

I recently divorced my wife, who was a devout Baptist. It caused some problems when we initially met, but we got over it initially. However, as we both began to think about our future and such, things started to take a turn. She wanted to have a child, going so far as to skip her birth control in order to get the ball rolling. As we talked about what would be the course of action for raising said tyke, it became clear that it would be impossible to raise a child under two completely different worldviews.

However, my current squeeze is a pretty moderate Catholic, so I will suffer through church once in a while to make it work.

Dolphin39
11-20-2009, 08:06 PM
The bible says NOT to be unequally yoked.

So, no! It WON'T work out!

Gonzo
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Weird, my catholic father-in-law and baptist mother-in-law are doing just fine, and have been for 32 years.

poornate
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
My wife was raised in a household of intense Catholicism... it has caused problems... not between us, but because of her family... I am a heathen, even though they like me as a person. They got a dispensation to attend my wedding, but insisted up until three days before hand that they wouldn't be attending because it wasn't a. Catholic b. neither was I c. It was outside (a non-Catholic thing) d. I had refused to go to a Catholic remediation e. We weren't pursuing the church recognizing our wedding. I also a couple years ago heard them, matter of factly, discussing me and my children going to hell... interesting to say the least...FYI... my wife and I are happy and have been together for 9 years...

GoonBoss
11-24-2009, 04:42 AM
It really depends on how much it matters to you. I do feel that it is tough to make any sort of relationship work when your world view is diametricly opposed. Catholic/Protestant may work, because ultimately both sides do believe in a god.

Christan/Non Christian I don't think can work in the end because, ultimately, you are really separated by a gulf of difference.

It is hard enough to make a relationaship work for the long term. No one obstical is an absolute block, but, at some point you have to wonder why you would pursue a realtionship that has a built in problem.

NRA
12-21-2009, 12:53 PM

HansMojo
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
It really depends on how much it matters to you. I do feel that it is tough to make any sort of relationship work when your world view is diametricly opposed. Catholic/Protestant may work, because ultimately both sides do believe in a god.

Christan/Non Christian I don't think can work in the end because, ultimately, you are really separated by a gulf of difference.

It is hard enough to make a relationaship work for the long term. No one obstical is an absolute block, but, at some point you have to wonder why you would pursue a realtionship that has a built in problem.
:up:

From a spiritual sense, the problem usually comes when one party feels the need to compromise their religious beliefs so that they can make the relationship work. This might not happen in 100% of these kind of relationships (I try not to speak in absolutes), but it is certainly an issue for many of them and IMHO, the main reason it is frowned upon in the Bible. The degree to which it (compromise) becomes an issue can vary depending on a lot of factors.

It happens in religious families too though. For example, say one side is Jewish (or Seventh-day Adventist like myself) and the other side is Catholic. Sabbath becomes an instant issue every week unless the Catholic side is willing to make a lot of personal sacrifice to play along, or the other party is willing to compromise on the Sabbath (for example, is the TV going to be on or off that day, etc.). Kids can really complicate these things since parents have a tendency to want their kids to participate in their own religion.

But yeah, if both parties are committed to the relationship, they can definitely make the relationship part work. And certainly if you have a situation where you are in a marriage and one person is converted and the other is not, the counsel is usually to stay in the relationship.

NYCBillsFan
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
It all depends if you are living your life or living your afterlife. My wife is Buddhist and I am an atheist. No problems with our relationship in the slightest. Our children are going to be raised Buddhist until they learn to question the Universe for themselves.