PDA

View Full Version : King: Two coaches say Tebow won't get past them in round one

jim1
11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
NBC's Peter King reported during Football Night in America that he has spoken to 17 coaches and personnel executives over the past month, and that he has asked for predictions as to the precise spot at which Florida quarterback Tim Tebow will be drafted.

The average draft position? 33rd overall.

But King added that two coaches of "winning teams" said Tebow won't get past their selections in round one.

Our guess as to the two teams in question? Jacksonville and Minnesota.

Make your own guesses in the comments.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Kdawg954
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I hate the Gators . . . I really do. But I respect what Tebow has done . . . u gotta admire the guy for his toughness and leadership.

But to be fair . . . I honestly don't believe he is gonna be a good NFL QB. I dunno, I know the kid can play some football . . . he would definitely revolutionize the position if he is successful.

That move would make TONS of sense for Jacksonville, hometown kid as the face of the franchise . . . and not just any hometown kid . . . possibly the greatest college football player of all time.

Minnesota? I dunno, but they have the recipe in place for alot of QB's to succeed.

Sleeper team? New England

FinsFanatic777
11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
His range on the draftboard is all over the place, similar to Taylor Mays. Like Washington (or Jacksonville) to Tebow, some coaches will die to have Taylor Mays (Al Davis). Others will simply not have Tebow on their draft boards at all because of the bust potential (poor zone defense), similar to what coaches feel about Tebow's poor mechanics. Some will grade them both high, others low.

CJGoCanes
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think Tebow will get past the Patriots. He is exactly the type of player Belichick covets and while he might never be a starting QB he will be a valuable asset

ChadHenne
11-29-2009, 11:30 PM
He's going to the Jaguars. They need to sell tickets, and drafting the hometown kid who happens to be one of the biggest sports figures in the game will sell season tickets immediately.

He'll go around 16-20 to the Jags, but if he falls past then I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up into the early 2nd round to grab Tebow, they need him for more than just a football standpoint.

Tebow has horrible mechanics, but with the type of player he is, he can be at least a Byron Leftwich kind of QB in the NFL. His leadership and intangibles are something teams very much covet.

The statements of Tebow switching to tight end are extremely ignorant. YES I'M LOOKING AT YOU MEL KIPER! Just sayin'

Howard Stern
11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
What would be everyone's reaction if we took him in the 1st round?

Unlikely, but we have seen crazier 1st round picks (Ginn)

Ricky4Life
11-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Those were the two teams I think that would take him. Jags to bring in the fans, or Vikes to reunite him with Harvin.

COphinphan89
11-30-2009, 02:18 AM
The thing that's gonna scare a lot of scouts and FO's away from him is his throwing motion. I really, really wish the the UF coaching staff had gone in there and corrected his mechanics before/during the 2006 season when he was a freshman and not starting. He has that baseball windup in his release that really irritates me.

If someone drafts him with the intention of him one day making him their full-time starter, he's definetly gonna have to sit behind someone for a year or two and learn. In that case, Minnesota would make sense if Favre comes back next year. They run a high-powered scheme and it would reunite Tim with Percy. Jax also makes sense for him since it's his hometown and they are really struggling to sell tickets.

Also, he's taken all of maybe 5-10 snaps in his entire college career from under center that weren't kneel downs and on only one of those snaps did he make a 5-step drop and throw a pass downfield (a completion). He also needs to learn to be more decisive in the pocket. In addition, he'll need to learn that he can't be a battering-ram in the NFL like he was in college and to slide/get down when a defender approaches.

We'll see where he goes and what someone plans to do with him. Whether he succeeds or fails won't really matter to me unless he somehow ends up with the Phins.

Kdawg954
11-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Ginn wasn't THAT crazy, I was shocked, but only because Quinn was still available.

Selecting Tebow would FLOOR me . . . wth we need 4 1st/2nd round QB's for in 4 years.

I much rather go BPA, we just need more talent overall.

TheDon74
11-30-2009, 08:42 AM

I would immediately turn from a huge defender of this FO to it's loudest critic.

3rdandinches
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Hopefully he`s Jacksonvilles little pet project, we have bigger fish to fry.

Valandui
11-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I think Jacksonville wants to take him to play tight end.

jim1
11-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I think Jacksonville wants to take him to play tight end.

What a load of crap. His throwing motion is less than ideal, but that hasn't stopped him from making a LOT of good throws. His footwork is functional in terms of what he's asked to do now, and he'll modify it in the pros.

Gruden, Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Tarkenton on record as liking him- that should carry some weight, but you be the judge. I don't think that he gets past Minnesota in the first round.

greasyObnoxious
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
What a load of crap. His throwing motion is less than ideal, but that hasn't stopped him from making a LOT of good throws. His footwork is functional in terms of what he's asked to do now, and he'll modify it in the pros.

Gruden, Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Tarkenton on record as liking him- that should carry some weight, but you be the judge. I don't think that he gets past Minnesota in the first round.

i agree, i don't think he'll fall past the Vikings. i could even see him going as high as Washington.

hooshoops
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
his throwing motion is more like a catapult

jim1
11-30-2009, 12:53 PM
his throwing motion is more like a catapult

That's b*** s***, too. If you want to see crappy throwing motions look at Frank Costa, Danny Wuerffell, Josh Heupel. I had massive arguments back in the day that Wuerrfell wouldn't be able to cut it in the NFL. He just didn't have the arm to cut it. Talk about a catapult or shotput motion. It was obvious to me that his arm couldn't translate to the pro game- forget about a 20 yard out or really any kind of zip on the ball. And what a slow delivery- Tebow gets knocked on his slow motion but Wuerffell's was truly molasses.

Tebow's arm isn't ideal, but my guess is that he has enough arm to get the job done. A lot of famous football minds agree- I bring that up because even though Tebow brings questions with him for sure, some people act like thinking that he can make it in the NFL is an excercise in stupidity. I disagree. And he doesn't have a catapult motion. It's elongated and he doesn't snap off a throw as much as I'd want to see a QB do. But the guy has made a lot of good throws and he gets the job done. I will say that this year I've seen him play poorly and at times thought much less of him than I did last year. But I think that a lot of that was the lingering effects of the concussion, not sure though. There is a tipping point where great intangibles can't overcome physical shortcomings. Wuerfell crossed that point, imo Tebow hasn't. And to be more specific add to Tebow's list the delivery, accuracy, footwork questions, history of being in a spread offense. Everyone has thier opinion- I didn't even see Wureffell geitting drafted, and in my mind Heupel, even in the 6th round, was a horrendous draft choice. But I'd be willing to bet that Tebow gets drafted in the first round, warts and all. And for good reason.

hooshoops
11-30-2009, 01:03 PM
i don't think it's bs...he's got a very long almost wind up throwing motion...the kind dbs in the nfl will break on

i still think he's a high pick though

CW_McGraw
11-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Guys with zero talent like Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady have become good NFL starters because they've mastered a few skills. Give Tebow a good coach and time, and he too can master those skills.

jim1
11-30-2009, 01:12 PM
i don't think it's bs...he's got a very long almost wind up throwing motion...the kind dbs in the nfl will break on

i still think he's a high pick though

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh. I agree that Tebow's throwing motion is elongated, but I don't see the catapult metaphor. I don't agree about NFL DBs being able to break on him (to the point of it being a problem) but Tebow will definitely have to prove certain things in the NFL.

hooshoops
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
hey i hope he's taken very high...that's one more player who may fall to us on our board...after yesterday we could easily finish 7-9 6-10 so a top 15 pick looks like it's in order...

i hope he goes top 12

after watching yesterday and pretty much all year i want dez bryant BAD

jim1
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
hey i hope he's taken very high...that's one more player who may fall to us on our board...after yesterday we could easily finish 7-9 6-10 so a top 15 pick looks like it's in order...

i hope he goes top 12

after watching yesterday and pretty much all year i want dez bryant BAD

He would be great, but he probably won't be available. I still see Benn as a 1st rd possibility and Tate as a 2nd rd possibility- maybe Gilyard if he falls, but I's rather have Tate. No matter what happens we have to get at least one more speed guy so we no longer have Ginn as the only option in that regard by default. As good as Danario Alexander has been playing, I have my doubts as to wether he fits the profile of what we need at WR- we already have a potential glider with size in Pat Turner.

hooshoops
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
i'm not a danario alexander fan...not for us

dez bryant arrellius benn and golden tate round 1

mardy gilyard round 2 maybe demarius thomas slips in there also...if not round 3

lafell looks like a possession #2 wr thus i'm not a fan

i like decker also but i think he's a #2

jim1
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Guys with zero talent like Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady have become good NFL starters because they've mastered a few skills. Give Tebow a good coach and time, and he too can master those skills.

I have no idea how you can say that Warner, Romo and Brady have zero talent. Romo is uncannily accurate, Warner has a great arm. And Brady? Not only is he one of the most accurate QBs out there, he throws one of the best long balls that I've ever seen. In my book they have some serious talent, not to mention intangibles that make them great QBs.

Valandui
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Jacksonville has been on this bring in QBs to play TE kick for a little while now. They drafted Zach Miller, the TE/QB from Nebraska-Omaha this past season and they also brought in Tyler Lorenzen, the QB from UCONN and moved him to TE in the offseason (now a WR/TE on the Saints practice squad). They clearly have something up their sleeves with the QB/TE thing.

CW_McGraw
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I have no idea how you can say that Warner, Romo and Brady have zero talent. Romo is uncannily accurate, Warner has a great arm. And Brady? Not only is he one of the most accurate QBs out there, he throws one of the best long balls that I've ever seen. In my book they have some serious talent, not to mention intangibles that make them great QBs.

Oh please. You can teach a guy to be accurate. Accuracy and anticipation are skills that any QB with a lick of work ethic can learn. I like Warner and think he should be a Hall of Famer, but his arm is nothing special. Same thing with Brady. Most of the great QBs in NFL history really aren't that naturally talented. Joe Montana's arm was avergae. Steve Young couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball when he was in Tampa. Hell, our own Chad Pennington is basically the least talented player to ever put cleats on and was a damn good QB in his prime just because he worked hard and studied. Tebow's got Hall of Fame work ethic. Coach him up and clean up his mechanics and he'll be successful. I'm not saying he'll be a Hall of Famer, but guys with less ability than Tebow have done well.

P.S. I'm a Canes fan and hate the Gators.

jim1
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh please. You can teach a guy to be accurate. Accuracy and anticipation are skills that any QB with a lick of work ethic can learn. I like Warner and think he should be a Hall of Famer, but his arm is nothing special. Same thing with Brady. Most of the great QBs in NFL history really aren't that naturally talented. Joe Montana's arm was avergae. Steve Young couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball when he was in Tampa. Hell, our own Chad Pennington is basically the least talented player to ever put cleats on and was a damn good QB in his prime just because he worked hard and studied. Tebow's got Hall of Fame work ethic. Coach him up and clean up his mechanics and he'll be successful. I'm not saying he'll be a Hall of Famer, but guys with less ability than Tebow have done well.

P.S. I'm a Canes fan and hate the Gators.

p.s. I'm not a Gators fan either. I don't recall much in the way of accuracy being taught to QBs in the NFL- it seems more of a case of either you have it or you don't. And Young did have accuracy at BYU and things were a mess at Tampa Bay, I'm not sure what his numbers were, but he could always throw the ball accurately. To say that Steve Young wasn't talented is a joke.

Chubby
11-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Read my Sig :), been saying it since a little after this years draft ended.

mmikel30
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Unlikely, but we have seen crazier 1st round picks (Ginn) I would be upset if we did but i like tebow better in this offense than pat white

X-Pacolypse
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Tebow will be a Jaguar. He'll sell tickets, but he will bomb as an NFL quarterback.

Ricky4Life
12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Tebow will be a Jaguar. He'll sell tickets, but he will bomb as an NFL quarterback.

Yep, Jags will take just for ticket sales alone.

JT-forpresident
12-02-2009, 02:28 AM
I would immediately turn from a huge defender of this FO to it's loudest critic.

you and me both

utahphinsfan
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
His throwing motion is less than ideal, but that hasn't stopped him from making a LOT of good throws.

Haven't your ever noticed alot of his "throws" are shovel passes which you, I, or practically anyone on this site could make. Not to mention all the short little dump off West Coast offense throws.

Then, consider Timmy is throwing to the likes of Harvin, Cooper, Hernandez and the other athletes that the Gators have @ the skill positions.

Bottom line; TT's passing stats are more inflated than the "residents" @ Hugh Hefner's house.

Seriously, I can see Tebow landing somewhere as a TE/H-back and then coming into to run the Wildcat or similar package.

jim1
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Haven't your ever noticed alot of his "throws" are shovel passes which you, I, or practically anyone on this site could make. Not to mention all the short little dump off West Coast offense throws.

Then, consider Timmy is throwing to the likes of Harvin, Cooper, Hernandez and the other athletes that the Gators have @ the skill positions.

Bottom line; TT's passing stats are more inflated than the "residents" @ Hugh Hefner's house.

Seriously, I can see Tebow landing somewhere as a TE/H-back and then coming into to run the Wildcat or similar package.

So I guess that some of the football minds like John Gruden, Tony Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Fran Tarkenton, Bill Parcells- guys that think very highly of Tebow- must be complete idiots for valuing him so highly. Everyone has their opinions and Tebow does have a lot to prove in cerain areas of his game, but some of these posts go so overboard in their criticism of him that they are laughable. And pretty much worthless. Yeah, sure, Tebow will end up as a TE. Good grief.

p.s Kerry Meier seems like a good prospect, but especially after drafting possession guys like Hartline and Turner I doubt that we need another 6-3, 220 lb WR who runs a 4.65. We need speed, dominance and explosion- this guy doesn't fit the bill. Thank you no.

skipp2myloo13
12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
i take what those guys say with a grain of salt. I have never once seen anyone talk bad about a player coming, never mind with Tebow's leadership and college resume. I just think that those guys say great things about him because of his mentality and doubt very highly that anyone of them would draft him in the first. if they do, yah i prolly would think less of him. Ps. Has there ever been a QB Gruden hasnt liked?

Gonzo
12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
So I guess that some of the football minds like John Gruden, Tony Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Fran Tarkenton, Bill Parcells- guys that think very highly of Tebow- must be complete idiots for valuing him so highly. Everyone has their opinions and Tebow does have a lot to prove in cerain areas of his game, but some of these posts go so overboard in their criticism of him that they are laughable. And pretty much worthless. Yeah, sure, Tebow will end up as a TE. Good grief.

p.s Kerry Meier seems like a good prospect, but especially after drafting possession guys like Hartline and Turner I doubt that we need another 6-3, 220 lb WR who runs a 4.65. We need speed, dominance and explosion- this guy doesn't fit the bill. Thank you no.
Not sure where you're getting your information. I just listened to JJ yesterday saying he can't be an NFL QB.

"I don't think Tebow can play in a pro-style offense, not [at] quarterback," Johnson said. "I think a team that's gonna look at Tim Tebow. They're gonna make one of two decisions. If they're going to bring him into their style of play, with their coaching staff, they've gotta project him to be maybe an H-back. "I don't know if he's fast enough to be a receiver, maybe he could be a tight end. [But] I don't know if he can block, I don't know if he can catch the ball. But he's gotta play another position. He can't play quarterback."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34157415/ns/sports-college_football/

jim1
12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Not sure where you're getting your information. I just listened to JJ yesterday saying he can't be an NFL QB.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34157415/ns/sports-college_football/

I'll stand corrected on that one. I saw him on Fox talking about QBs who could be drafted and contribute greatly, but not be taken extremely high and command huge salaries- he mentioned Tebow. Why he would do so after reading that quote you posted is beyond me. So if that was my mistake, I'll own it. I've read direct quotes from Gruden and Dungy raving about Tebow. Barry Jackson in Florida Sports Buzz(Miami Herald) discussed how Parcells really likes Tebow as a QB. I make up my own mind when it comes to players- but my point is that to me it's almost comical how negatively Tebow is spoken of as a QB, especially when some true pros of the game rate him so highly. He has a lot to prove and a lot to work on- I'm not a Gator fan much less a Gator homer. Look at the national championship game last year or any number of plays he's made- including great throws- over his career. The guy can play.

skipp2myloo13
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Has Gruden met a QB he didnt love?

GoonBoss
12-04-2009, 02:44 AM
I see him to JAX. They need him to generate buzz and tickets.

HurriPhin
12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Tebow could be very useful in the NFL. Just think, if a team happens to run out of gatorade Timmy could easily fill up a water cooler with his tears.

:rimshot:

CedarPhin
12-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I see him to JAX. They need him to generate buzz and tickets.

They'll probably draft him in a last-ditch effort for ticket sales to keep the franchise afloat. I'd imagine if that were to fail, they'd end up moving to LA.

HurriPhin
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
They'll probably draft him in a last-ditch effort for ticket sales to keep the franchise afloat. I'd imagine if that were to fail, they'd end up moving to LA.

So the Jags are moving to LA then, huh. :chuckle:

BARF
12-09-2009, 06:45 AM
he will not be a qb in the pros, maybe emergency, i see him as a tight end