PDA

View Full Version : Who do we Draft with our first Pick?

ronniebrown#1
12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Do we draft a reciever like Bryant,Benn, Lefell?
Do we draft a Linebacker like Spikes, or Mcclain?
Or do We draft a Nose Tackle like Cody?

I think our most pressing need is a reciever. We know we have a number 2 reciever in Hartline, but we need a number 1. :up:

Howard Stern
12-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Receiver. Without question. If we have to trade up to get a quality wideout, I say we pull the trigger. Our WRs are mickey mouse. We need a stud. Bad.

Etuoo33
12-04-2009, 04:10 PM
ILB or Pass rush OLB

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
All depends....

gotta see if Soliai can show he can handle being the man in the middle and who is availible when we pick....

only becomes a debate for me if Bryant and McClain are both there.....

3rdandinches
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Bpa,bpa,bpa

Etuoo33
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Who is the dominate stud receiver that will be there when we draft? Dez Bryant will be gone.. then who? We have enough projects on this roster. LB 1st then receiver at #2, should have been at 2 last year but we wasted a pick on a QB that can't throw accurately... does not run well either!

Etuoo33
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I also would not mind seeing either of the USC or Tennessee safety(s) brought in.

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Depends on where we finish....as of right now I can't think of many teams ahead of us that would pick a reciever over another player that would fill a big need for them.

PALMA
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This teams everything. Playmakers. Vontae and Long were pba and looks like quality starters. Best player available and no more gimmick picks.

ronniebrown#1
12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
We need a linebacker because we all know channing crowder sucks. I'm all for Mcclain. 2nd round get golden tate.

SA_BUTTA
12-04-2009, 04:37 PM
We need a linebacker because we all know channing crowder sucks. I'm all for Mcclain. 2nd round get golden tate.
Tate may not even be there in the 2nd.

hardhitn
12-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I just see it... Golden Tate is the type of player that will gather plenty of draft day buzzz. I dont see him hitting the 2nd round. He'll be a later first rounder.

SA_BUTTA
12-04-2009, 04:42 PM

I think our most pressing need is a reciever. We know we have a number 2 reciever in Hartline, but we need a number 1. :up:
I think you go with best available at the time you draft, now if you say they are all available I go with a WR myself...because I feel like it would be harder to find an elite WR than a suitable LB. At this point we need a gamebreaking WR, but LB or NT could be something we find in FA or a later pick.

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I doesn't matter....there are a bunch of 2nd round WRs....problem is there are only a couple recievers in this draft that have the projection to be #1 recievers....

ronniebrown#1
12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
We need a wideout badly. There are recievers like Lefell, Bryant, Benn that can be number 1 recievers.

Tunaphish429
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
It depends on where we pick and where the value is at...

I would like a stud OLB..but if one is not there who is worth the pick then NT...

Then WR..

Its not our offense that is the problem it is the D

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
It depends on where we pick and where the value is at...

I would like a stud OLB..but if one is not there who is worth the pick then NT...

Then WR..

Its not our offense that is the problem it is the D

It's both really.....but I think the offense is the most pressing need....the defense has shown it can play at a decent level when the coordinator doesn't have his head in his ***.

Our passing offense on the other hand is horrid!

Tunaphish429
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
It's both really.....but I think the offense is the most pressing need....the defense has shown it can play at a decent level when the coordinator doesn't have his head in his ***.

Our passing offense on the other hand is horrid!

Our offense has showed we can control the game when pounding the rock...

Our d gives up way too many big plays...

Its the D...

When Buffalo drops 31 points its time for a change ...it might be the coord. or we might need some different personal...but I think its def the D

Tunaphish429
12-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I can see us taking a D player in the first round...

Maybe a qb in the 2nd...lol why mess up the trend

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I think if McClain is sitting there, you can't pass him up.

spiketex
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
I think that we should draft the best LB that we can get our hands on. Hopefully we recruit the #1 WR and the NT in free agency.

matt11390
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
WR without a doubt. The only problem with this upcoming draft is that the WR class isn't that deep. Outside of Bryant, who will be gone by our pick, the rest doesn't impress me.

foozool13
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Dez Bryant or McClain

Dajesus
12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Right now we are in the 15-16 spot, but who knows where we are going to draft, and who knows where the prospects are projected till the combine. I also think we should solve our WR problem in FA and not in the draft. There is no sure thing in the draft at WR, and there will be some true #1s available in FA. Right now my top choices would be Taylor Mays FS USC(more thank likely he will be off the board when we pick,) Brandon Spikes ILB Florida, Dan Williams DT Tenn, Terrance Cody DT Alabama(may be the best suited for our 3-4.)

ArmyFin7
12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Who is a legit #1 that is going to hit FA?? I can't think of a single one....Antonio Bryant is the ONLY one that might fit that bill....though his consistant knee issues are troubling.

Avigatorx
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Do you guys really think BP would allow us to take a WR in the first round?

My money is on Brandon Spikes or Terrance Cody, otherwise the next best talent at either ILB or NT.

WR is too much of a risk. What we really need to do is sign a FA or trade for one. Drafting a WR and expecting him to contribute the first year is asking too much.

I hate to say that because I totally agree that we need a #1 WR, but we also need an ILB, a NT, some interior O-line, possibly a safety and a versitle OLB that can stop the run and drop into coverage, we may even need a running back.

houtz
12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I think we'll have a #1 WR before the draft. That may mean signing a free agent such as Marshall(snowballs chance in hell) or Bryant. Maybe even trading for Boldin or Steve Smith.

They will find us a WR.

tay0365
12-04-2009, 05:50 PM

I don't know if any of them will still be on the board when
we pick at 32:foundout:

tay0365
12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
No matter what, we are going defense, probably I-LB, Converted rushing DE/O-LB, or NT....in that order

MadDog 88
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't see a 2 down NT being the choice in round 1. Eric Berry will be long gone so no FS. We already have 2 safeties with Taylor Mays' game. Logically they go LB or WR. I hope they get Lafell. IMO he is the real deal. Each game I have seen him play he continues to be impressive.

ckparrothead
12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
It's nearly impossible to forecast for many of the reasons already covered. Not least of which is, we have no idea which players are coming out yet. I mean we have some idea but I can remember plenty of instances at this juncture when we've "known" that so and so was going to come out and then whoops, he didn't...or the other way around.

I have to look at the senior class...and this senior class sucks, especially on offense.

Stud QBs: 0
Stud RBs: 1 (C.J. Spiller)
Stud TEs: 1 (Jermaine Gresham)
Stud WRs: 0
Stud OTs: 1 (Russell Okung)
Stud G/C: 1 (Mike Iupati)
Stud DTs: 4 (Ndamukong Suh, Jared Odrick, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams)
Stud DEs: 2 (Corey Wootton, Jerry Hughes)
Stud LBs: 1 (Brandon Spikes)
Stud DBs: 1 (Taylor Mays)

So, like a horse drawn to water...I have to follow the studs. Right now the offense has about 4 to the defense's 8, and in particular a full third of all the senior studs I see happen to be guys that can play NT...and wonder of wonders, Miami has a starting veteran NT probably set to retire.

So right now I have to forecast one of those big suckers between Odrick, Williams and Cody...just as a percentage thing.

DearbornDolfan
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
We need a wideout badly. There are recievers like Lefell, Bryant, Benn that can be number 1 recievers.

LaFell and Benn aren't NFL split ends, I'm sorry to say. LaFell doesn't have the speed, Benn lacks some athleticism, and Golden Tate is going to end up being an elite slot receiver because he lacks the height and weight to do anything else at the pro level. I've outlined a scenario in which the Fins can actually come out better in the picks department and still trade up to grab Bryant, so I won't bother doing it again. I think if Demaryius Thomas is available in the second the Fins have to grab him; he'll probably end up being a three year project but you simply don't pass up that combination of size, speed, and athleticism unless a legit 1st round player slides to the second round.

DearbornDolfan
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Since when is Dez Bryant not a stud? He's the only truly complete receiver in this draft and he's straight up said that he's not going back to Oklahoma State after being shafted by the NCAA.

SebasMiamiFan
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I think we need an entire draft for the D. I want a new ILB and a new SS real bad. We can get WR's in FA.

DearbornDolfan
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I think we need an entire draft for the D. I want a new ILB and a new SS real bad. We can get WR's in FA.

This is extremely flawed thinking. Gabril Wilson isn't bad, in fact he's actually been pretty good of late. His problem was that he wasn't really familiar with the system and I'll remind you that the Fins' safeties had the exact same problem last year. A rookie safety coming into a complex pro defense is likely to do worse.

As for our ILB, they're servicible. They'd be doing a hell of a lot better if the team had an elite NT, though. Ferguson is probably done and Soliai is still learning the ropes. There will be a ton of FA nose tackles available that will be better than Ferguson has been for this team. My wet dream on this front is Wilfork, but Aubrayo Franklin could also be available if he doesn't re-sign and that dude is probably the most unheralded NT in the league right now.

ArmyFin7
12-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I have the answer....

Trade Ronnie to the Giants for Mario Manningham
Draft McClain in the 1st rd and the best WR availible in the 2nd.
Toby Gerhart in the 3rd.

Allows the D to slide Crowder into Ayodeles roll and McClain to be the stud.

Gives us a veteran reciever and a real power back to run the offense our coaches want to run.

timwendt58
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I think we should focus this upcoming draft on the defense. I have faith in Parcells and staff to fix our offensive needs through free agency or trades. Some people here think we need a receiver but it's the defense that's ultimately losing games for us. Hopefully we go for a NT and LB.

rushfinfan85
12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
we need a lb that can cover a tight end hands down we give up way to many plays to the tight end position

MP-Omnis
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Since when is Dez Bryant not a stud? He's the only truly complete receiver in this draft and he's straight up said that he's not going back to Oklahoma State after being shafted by the NCAA.

He just listed seniors.

ckparrothead
12-05-2009, 03:18 PM

SENIORS.

ChadHenne
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Dez Bryant is the man I want. If the Fins pass on him when he is available, I will be very dissapointed unless we get McClain AND by some miracle get Tate, but that's a huge if. I want Bryant, period.

MiamiDolfan85
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
It's nearly impossible to forecast for many of the reasons already covered. Not least of which is, we have no idea which players are coming out yet. I mean we have some idea but I can remember plenty of instances at this juncture when we've "known" that so and so was going to come out and then whoops, he didn't...or the other way around.

I have to look at the senior class...and this senior class sucks, especially on offense.

Stud QBs: 0
Stud RBs: 1 (C.J. Spiller)
Stud TEs: 1 (Jermaine Gresham)
Stud OTs: 1 (Russell Okung)
Stud G/C: 1 (Mike Iupati)
Stud DTs: 4 (Ndamukong Suh, Jared Odrick, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams)
Stud DEs: 2 (Corey Wootton, Jerry Hughes)
Stud LBs: 1 (Brandon Spikes)
Stud DBs: 1 (Taylor Mays)

So, like a horse drawn to water...I have to follow the studs. Right now the offense has about 4 to the defense's 8, and in particular a full third of all the senior studs I see happen to be guys that can play NT...and wonder of wonders, Miami has a starting veteran NT probably set to retire.

So right now I have to forecast one of those big suckers between Odrick, Williams and Cody...just as a percentage thing.
wheres Mardy Gilyard?

DearbornDolfan
12-07-2009, 04:01 AM
SENIORS.

When's the last time a guy like Dez Bryant stayed a full four years? It doesn't happen at the WR position. If you're going to do a talent evaluation this early using a pool of guys you know will be in the draft list, you have to include juniors that have declared, to do otherwise is lazy.

Bryant's declared. Bryant's a stud. Your list is incomplete. End of story.

Xeticus
12-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Get McClain that kid is a beast and we really need to upgrade our LB corps.

FinsFanatic777
12-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I first wanted Dez Bryant, but that all changed after seeing the 2011 WR draft class. The 2011 class is LOADED with potential #1 receivers. This year's class is sh*t compared to the year after. Trust me... spend the first round pick on a ILB (McClain, Spikes), or OLB (Hughes). The 2011 WR class will dominate this years class. We could get a receiver of Dez Bryant's talent in the late first round if we're patient and not overreach for a receiver in this draft.

After spending the first pick on an LB, pick TE Jermaine Gresham. His draft stock is really falling, and in nearly all of the mock drafts he's projected in the second round. I don't care if the Dolphins trade their 2+3 rounders to trade up and get Gresham. He is compared to Tony Gonzalez on WalterFootball.com, and Tony Gonzalez just happens to be the greatest TE in NFL history. He'll be an instant security blanket to Henne as he was to Bradford a year ago.

Then, we vastly improve our defense with a stud LB, and give Henne a weapon in Gresham. Then in the next NFL draft we don't need to worry about stud WR's not being available in the first round because there are so many.

772Fin
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know. I feel like Dez Bryant is a sure-thing. He's got the talent to come onto our team and explode in the first week. I haven't really seen anyone in the 2011 class who can equal his talent.

rev kev
12-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Down the middle NT, MLB or SS first round

BobDole
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM
sticking with spikes still. he'd be a great addition. great in run support and coverage. can't miss.

MP-Omnis
12-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Down the middle NT, MLB or SS first round

Why SS? We have 3 strong safeties already: Bell, Wilson, and Clemons.

WVDolphan
12-13-2009, 04:03 AM
How can we accurately predict who we will take with the first pick when the draft order isnt even set? Geez.

I think the one thing we can bank on is the first few picks will be the best player available at positions of WR, LB, and interior DL in no specific order.

WVDolphan
12-13-2009, 04:05 AM
wheres Mardy Gilyard?

Thats the guy I want. I think he will be a big time playmaker in the NFL. And he returns kicks........bye bye Ted Ginn family.

CedarPhin
12-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Gilyard is the guy I want at WR. Dude's a playmaker.

jim1
12-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Gilyard is the guy I want at WR. Dude's a playmaker.

He's good, but not 1st rd for us imo. Definitely someone to think about 2nd rd.

mi2cents
12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Why SS? We have 3 strong safeties already: Bell, Wilson, and Clemons.

:nailbiter: :bake: :couch3:

I just know that was a dig

NorFlaFin
12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd like Bryant/Mcclain in the 1st and Mt. Cody in the second.

MP-Omnis
12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
:nailbiter: :bake: :couch3:

I just know that was a dig

What? It's the truth. Bell is a good SS and Wilson is more of an SS than a FS. Clemons can play either position. We need FS help, not SS help.

CJGoCanes
12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't know. I feel like Dez Bryant is a sure-thing. He's got the talent to come onto our team and explode in the first week. I haven't really seen anyone in the 2011 class who can equal his talent.

I think A.J. Green from Georgia is the next great WR, if he adds some weight while maintaining his athleticism he can be as good as Larry Fitzgerald. He'll be better than Dez and Julio Jones

DaytonaDolFan13
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
BPA- CJ SPILLER RB

or use the pick and TEDD GINN as tradebait and move-up to get BERRY or McCLAIN!

209Mason
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
BPA- CJ SPILLER RB

or use the pick and TEDD GINN as tradebait and move-up to get BERRY or McCLAIN!

You know... all year i've been saying Defense and WR early because they are our most pressing needs.... but as it sits now, I think I agree with you.

Ronnie gets hurt every other year it seems like and Ricky isn't going to be around forever... I have a very hard time reaching on a WR that is a 2nd round talent if C.J. Spiller is on the board... everyone's talking about our WR corps... but we're one injury away from having no RB's as it is.. It seems to me it's easier to be successful with less than average WR's than it is less than average RB's... In 2 years we'll likely only have Ronnie (with Ricky likely retired by then) who as we all know isn't all that reliable... plus... Spiller could run the wildcat like a champ.

I still am leaning towards defense in round 1... but I'd MUCH rather take Spiller over reaching for a WR. BPA... if that's defense, great, if not... Spiller gets my vote. Rd 2 will bring us some WR talent like Benn and others if don't sign someone in FA.

#1dolphinsfan
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Dez Bryant i hope

greasyObnoxious
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
my board for round 1

1. Brandon Spikes
2. Jerry Hughes
3. Rolando McClain
4. Jermaine Gresham
5. Marvin Austin
6. C.J. Spiller