PDA

View Full Version : We should trade up for Ndamukong Suh

Roman529
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
If there is one glaring weakness on the Miami Dolphins, it is their defensive line. The middle of the line has been kept together with bailing wire since Jason Ferguson's injury, and while we have been able to get outside pressure from our DE's, and OLB's, we really could use a stop gap beast to clog up the middle.

If you look at the Patriots, they have Vince Wilfork, the Ravens have Haloti Ngata. They usually require two or more o-lineman's attention and make it very difficult for opposing runners to run up the middle. With Channing Crowder being pretty inconsistent at the ILB spot, we could solve a lot of problems by upgrading to the best defensive player in college football: Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska.

Cleveland, Tampa and St. Louis are all battling it out for the worst record and overall top pick in the draft. With Ronnie Brown beng a question mark for next season, and future years with his free agency, I would trade RB and our first round pick in 2010 to move up to the top spot. Suh is probably the best defensive player in the past ten years and even though it costs a ton for an overall first pick, he would be worth the price.

What say you???? :up:

fakespike
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
if there is one glaring hole on this team, it certainly is not the D-Line.

Hello??? WR, ILB, FS ?

DolfanDuBbZ~
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't see Suh has a pure 3-4 NT, more like a 4-3 DT. Cody would be a better NT imo than Suh.

skipp2myloo13
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Yah line is prolly 2nd strongest position other than RB. And how does a 4-3 DT help us? Nevermind how dumb trading up is in todays NFL

Tunaphish429
12-08-2009, 06:25 PM
If there is one glaring weakness on the Miami Dolphins, it is their defensive line. The middle of the line has been kept together with bailing wire since Jason Ferguson's injury, and while we have been able to get outside pressure from our DE's, and OLB's, we really could use a stop gap beast to clog up the middle.

If you look at the Patriots, they have Vince Wilfork, the Ravens have Haloti Ngata. They usually require two or more o-lineman's attention and make it very difficult for opposing runners to run up the middle. With Channing Crowder being pretty inconsistent at the ILB spot, we could solve a lot of problems by upgrading to the best defensive player in college football: Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska.

Cleveland, Tampa and St. Louis are all battling it out for the worst record and overall top pick in the draft. With Ronnie Brown beng a question mark for next season, and future years with his free agency, I would trade RB and our first round pick in 2010 to move up to the top spot. Suh is probably the best defensive player in the past ten years and even though it costs a ton for an overall first pick, he would be worth the price.

The object of 34 d linemen is too take up blocks.. not to penetrate...

Suh is best suited in a 4-3 as a 3 technique.. Shooting gaps

Plus at this point we would have to give up the house to move up that far...

He is going to be a great player tho

The Standard
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Wide receiver is by far the biggest weakness we have.

And Ronnie Brown is the face of our franchise and with him you keep Ricky happy for another couple of years. Before Ronnie went down we were number two in the league rushing. And now you want to dump our top two running backs along with our first round pick for a defensive tackle?

Sounds like one step forward, three steps back if you ask me.

CW_McGraw
12-08-2009, 06:31 PM
If there is one glaring weakness on the Miami Dolphins, it is their defensive line.

Stopped reading right there. We have one of the better DL rotations in the league.

Lorenzo Rules
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I think we need ot russell okung then move Vernon Carey to og and then we would have depth and then draft 2 linebackers 1 safety and 1 te and then just trade for boldin

napsndreds
12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree 100%/.. Either he or Bryant...I got a feling both will be off the board by the time we pick

Roman529
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Wide receiver is by far the biggest weakness we have.

And Ronnie Brown is the face of our franchise and with him you keep Ricky happy for another couple of years. Before Ronnie went down we were number two in the league rushing. And now you want to dump our top two running backs along with our first round pick for a defensive tackle?

Sounds like one step forward, three steps back if you ask me.

Not dump our top two running backs, just RB. The running back position is the easiest to replace, and I think RB and the Wildcat actually hinders our offense. Clearly Henne has become better since we have moved away from the Wildcat,,,,,,it was a gimmick which just didn't work. You all know Parcells is not going to draft a WR like Dez Bryant, even if he dropped to the middle of the first round....that is just wishful thinking. The great thing about Suh is he can work in any type of defensive formation. He has the speed to sack the fastest QB's, and the strength to dominate at Nose Tackle. It's time to make a bold move. :woot:

The Standard
Lose Ronnie, Ricky and our 1st round pick for Suh?

No thanks.

Dr. Phin
Doesn't belong here...but I can't argue the point. I would love to get Suh!!!

The Standard
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Not dump our top two running backs, just RB. The running back position is the easiest to replace, and I think RB and the Wildcat actually hinders our offense. Clearly Henne has become better since we have moved away from the Wildcat,,,,,,it was a gimmick which just didn't work. You all know Parcells is not going to draft a WR like Dez Bryant, even if he dropped to the middle of the first round....that is just wishful thinking. The great think about Suh is he can work in any type of defensive formation. He has the speed to sack the fastest QB's, and the strength to dominate at Nose Tackle. It's time to make a bold move. :woot:

If we trade RB, Ricky will retire. He has basically said as much.

Dr. Phin
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't see Suh has a pure 3-4 NT, more like a 4-3 DT. Cody would be a better NT imo than Suh.

I love Cody when he is in, but he seems to be off the field a whole lot!!! I have looked at this the last three games I have watched. I don't know if it is scheme...or if he just gets tired.

napsndreds
However, I would never get rid of Ronnie Brown..are you serious?

The Standard
Not to mention Suh is a DE in our scheme.

DolfanDuBbZ~
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Not to mention Suh is a DE in our scheme.

Exactly...anyone remember Glen Dorsey from LSU? KC switched to a 3-4 and he was a man w/o a position. Suh is a great 4-3 DT...but a NT he isn't.

BARF
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
ad much as i love suh i would not trade up to get him you would have to trade 2 picks, we could use those picks for lb and wr, which are deep in next years draft, a nt you could get in the later rounds also, look at fergie he was a 7th rounder

Roman529
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Stopped reading right there. We have one of the better DL rotations in the league.

Oh Really? :confused: I don't think anybody will confuse our d-line with the Vikings or Ravens. A 3-4 defense doesn't work well without a solid nose tackle, and Ferguson is out and Soliai is average at best. I will say one thing, Soliai did look good in stopping the Patriots when they went for it on 4th and one, but how often do we see this out of him?

bigchub22
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Uh he will be gone first 5 picks potentially number 1....we won't be getting him

72champagne
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd trade Porter, Crowder, Ayodele, Pasqualoni & Pat White for Tebow, I mean Suh, but not R&R.

clownfish
12-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Yeah, let's get rid of our BEST offensive player (though Henne may catch him by next year when he is healthy again) for an UNPROVEN player. Any draft pick can be a bust, even though our current regime looks to be doing a pretty great job so far.

I just don't understand the value placed on draft picks in the NFL. Sure they're few and far between, but I'd totally give up our 1st rounder and 5th rounder next year for a guy like Anquan Boldin or Brandon Marshall. Heck, Wilfork is a FA next year, too. All of these guys have already proven that they change NFL games. I say screw the draft picks if you can get young, high end PROVEN NFL difference makers.

CW_McGraw
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh Really? :confused: I don't think anybody will confuse our d-line with the Vikings or Ravens. A 3-4 defense doesn't work well without a solid nose tackle, and Ferguson is out and Soliai is average at best. I will say one thing, Soliai did look good n stopping the Patriots when they went for it on 4th and one, but how often do we see this out of him?

We had a top five rush defense for much of the year. When your DL is supposedly your weakness that doesn't happen. Ferguson was a solid nose tackle. Could we use a dominant NT? Of course, but Suh isn't a NT.

clownfish
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh Really? :confused: I don't think anybody will confuse our d-line with the Vikings or Ravens. A 3-4 defense doesn't work well without a solid nose tackle, and Ferguson is out and Soliai is average at best. I will say one thing, Soliai did look good in stopping the Patriots when they went for it on 4th and one, but how often do we see this out of him?

Soliai is better than average and is coming along nicely. Did you realize he was the ONLY player on defense to make a play in the playoffs last year. He ripped through the offensive line and stripped the RB of the ball (I think Porter recovered). Other than him, our defense was flat in that game. He bring good intensity and technique to his game and just needs more experience. He didn't start getting significant time at NT until the end of last season. Give him some damn time.

foozool13
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Not big enough for the 3-4...hes a 4-3 player.

Roman529
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
However, I would never get rid of Ronnie Brown..are you serious?

This could be Ronnie's last year with the Phins, if the NFL works out it's collective bargaining agreement (CBA) then RB becomes a free agent in 2010....if not, then Ronnie has an option clause in his contract where he will be back for 2010. I just would hate to lose him like we lost Wes Welker, for not much in return (I think we got a 2nd and a 5th for Welker).

sharp
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
golden tate, too small for what we need in a #1 but sick nasty

gota
12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
This could be Ronnie's last year with the Phins, if the NFL works out it's collective bargaining agreement (CBA) then RB becomes a free agent in 2010....if not, then Ronnie has an option clause in his contract where he will be back for 2010. I just would hate to lose him like we lost Wes Welker, for not much in return (I think we got a 2nd and a 5th for Welker).

2nd and a 7th if I'm not mistaken.

Dajesus
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
We do not need to trade up to the top pick, that is what it would take to get Suh, as we would have to trade our entire draft. Terrance Cody is our realalistic drem pick somewhere in the early 20s of the draft. He is the only real 3-4 NT in the draft. If we had to move up a few spots to get him it would be worth it. Unrealistic dream picks are Mays FS from USC, and Brandon Spikes ILB Florida. A WR is a complete gamble, and there is no one that grades as high as Crabtree last year. Cody is a sure thing as he is 350lbs, and even if RBs had to just run around him it would make our run d solid.

The Standard
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
We need to resign Ronnie....not trade him.

MadDog 88
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
if not, then Ronnie has an option clause in his contract where he will be back for 2010.

This doesn't sound right. Do you have a link to that info?

ArmyFin7
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM

I don't have the link, but he is correct. In addition to that, any player that is supposed to become a FA in 2010 that has less than 7 yrs in the league becomes an RFA instead. The FA market will be flooded with veterans whos play doesnt match their contract that get cut, such a joey Porter.

KTOWNFINFAN
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I think we need ot russell okung then move Vernon Carey to og and then we would have depth and then draft 2 linebackers 1 safety and 1 te and then just trade for boldin

If we're gonna move a OT to guard it is gonna be Long. Carey has been our best Tackle this year. He is a top 3 RT in football and deserves to be a probowler this year. Long has been really struggling with speed rushers and seems to be having trouble keeping his balance. Carey is a beast. No way he is moved to guard. If anything he is moved to LT and long is moved to RT.

ArmyFin7
12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
If we're gonna move a OT to guard it is gonna be Long. Carey has been our best Tackle this year. He is a top 3 RT in football and deserves to be a probowler this year. Long has been really struggling with speed rushers and seems to be having trouble keeping his balance. Carey is a beast. No way he is moved to guard. If anything he is moved to LT and long is moved to RT.

Do you guys watch the games??? We have our starting LT and RT....

Long had some issues early in the season, but he has been stellar as of late. Im guessing the new O-line coach was making some technical changes for Long that took some adjusting.....

Everyone bitched this past offseason about trading Satele, signing grove and berger and not drafting much depth.....all that happened was Gove played stellar until his injury and Berger came in and did a hell of a job on big Vince....Nate Garner looks like he could be a legit starter in Smileys place....our O-line is set. D line depends on Soliai proving he can be a true NT....

Back to the topic at hand....the dolphins have the BEST 3-4 DE rotation in football. Suh would be a DE in a 3-4....as much as he would be a hell of a DE....there are much more pressing needs than another DE.

RealityBites
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat 3-4, 4-3, whatever Defense we ran, this guy would be a beast. However Suh will be off the board in the first 3 picks, so we have no chance of landing him.

I'm already getting fired up for the offseason aquisitions...hope we land at least two Big-Time WR's, one Free Agent and one Draft, among other key positions. :)

KTOWNFINFAN
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Do you guys watch the games??? We have our starting LT and RT....

Long had some issues early in the season, but he has been stellar as of late. Im guessing the new O-line coach was making some technical changes for Long that took some adjusting.....

Everyone bitched this past offseason about trading Satele, signing grove and berger and not drafting much depth.....all that happened was Gove played stellar until his injury and Berger came in and did a hell of a job on big Vince....Nate Garner looks like he could be a legit starter in Smileys place....our O-line is set. D line depends on Soliai proving he can be a true NT....

Back to the topic at hand....the dolphins have the BEST 3-4 DE rotation in football. Suh would be a DE in a 3-4....as much as he would be a hell of a DE....there are much more pressing needs than another DE.

Slow down, I wasn't saying Long sucks, just that in comparison to Carey he is playing like the 2nd year LT that he is. Long has not been that "stellar" the whole year and especially the last few games. Banta Cain got past him twice in the last game and he was beaten at least twice vs the bills. He seems to be leaning too far forward or something and when he needs to get back to switch off to another defender he is ALWAYS beat. Very slow feet, with great wingspan but average hand speed. He will be our starting LT for a long time but he needs to improve. He is not playing at the postion he was drafted...yet.
Still like the pick, but he has his flaws. Million times better than what we have had in the past few years.
My other post was just to defend Carey, not to slam Long.

Roman529
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Armando wrote about it a couple weeks ago in his column:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/08/it-has-been-widely-reported-and-assumed-that-ronnie-brown-is-a-free-agent-after-this-season-but-i-kept-looking-at-numbers-se.html

Trust me, I would love to have Ronnie around, but if he does become a free agent we could end up watching him sign elsewhere and get little in return.

NC FINFAN69
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Even if your reasoning is correct, it's going to take more than our 1st and RB to get even close to the top spot.

Clipse
12-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Yea, let's mortgage the future so we can trade up for a top 3 pick to get a DT. Use some logic please. Even worse is no mention of moving to a 4-3 with that pick. Do people not realize the difference in a NT and a DT?

52CANES
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Yea, let's mortgage the future so we can trade up for a top 3 pick to get a DT. Use some logic please. Even worse is no mention of moving to a 4-3 with that pick. Do people not realize the difference in a NT and a DT?

50lbs?

23EmilioVasquez
12-10-2009, 08:29 PM
he is the closest thing to a sure thing in this years draft

BobDole
12-11-2009, 01:03 AM
he may be the best DT to come out in years - he reminds me of a better version of tommie harris - but he's still a DT. nothing about his build or skill set translate to NT for a 3-4 team. he'd be a DE for us - which we don't at all need. he'll be a great DT on a 4-3 team though.

ckparrothead
12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
I don't think this is an idea that should be seriously entertained.