PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 to get 12th team?

CedarPhin
12-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the Big Ten will soon make a more aggressive push toward adding a 12th member.

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks conference commissioner Jim Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4735336

Who would be a good 12th team? Let the speculation begin.

kpcane
12-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Notre Dame's the only team that really makes sense. Or if they wanted to poach Pitt away from the Big East. But ND is the only 'major' team not in a conference.

CedarPhin
12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Maybe Pitt goes to the Big 10, and the BE takes someone like Memphis for basketball?

RustyGator
12-12-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't care as much who they pick up...they just need a conference championship game. I think it's a joke that a team can get an "automatic" berth into a BCS bowl without having a conference championship game. I really hope this happens.

Nublar7
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
As a Penn State fan, adding a 12th team to the Big 10 is a must and something that should have been done long ago. I see potential candidates for a 12th team as being Pitt, Notre Dame(long shot) and Missouri.

ChambersWI
12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
there's talk about Iowa State leaving the Big 12 and going to the Big 10 while Colorado State goes to the Big 12. Memphis also wants to join a big time conference.

kpcane
12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, they'll probably pick up another crappy team like Iowa State for their crappy conference. If the Big 12 gets an opening, one would have to think that TCU, Utah, or Boise St would get a look over Colorado St. TCU would be a great addition to the Big 12.

JCane
12-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Missouri won't leave the Big 12. They're too profitable in the Big 12. Now, Iowa State very well could be that 12th team. I don't think it's gonna be Notre Dame even though I agree Notre Dame makes the most sense. Notre Dame just thinks they're above everyone and their **** doesn't stink so they need to be out on an island by themselves.

LouPhinFan
12-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Why would a BE team leave to go to the Big 11? They're already in a BCS conference and one where there's a much easier route to a BCS bowl than the Big 11. Sorry but Pitt is not leaving the Big East. It makes no sense on their end.

Maybe Notre Dame, but then they'd have to pull all of their other sports out of the BE. Yeah their football team is independent, but all their other sports play in the BE. That leads to a decision for them. Join the Big 11 where they have to battle OSU, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, etc or have their football team join the BE with all of their other sports and battle WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, So FL, and soon Louisville.

Which looks more appealling as far as getting to a BCS game and possibly a BCS Championship? In the end I don't think it really matters. No matter who is the coach, Notre Dame is never going to totally regain their magic. They will be better under Brian Kelly, but its never going to be like it was. College Football has changed.

JCane
12-12-2009, 02:52 PM
What I think makes the most sense is to have Iowa State join the Big 10 and then have the Big 12 pull in TCU. This makes "fan favorite" TCU a BCS school. The, the PAC 10 needs to pull in Utah and Boise State. Now, every major BCS conference has 12 teams and everyone has a conference championship.

From then maybe we could see about getting this stupid little playoff that everyone wants.

Kdawg954
12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
What I think makes the most sense is to have Iowa State join the Big 10 and then have the Big 12 pull in TCU. This makes "fan favorite" TCU a BCS school. The, the PAC 10 needs to pull in Utah and Boise State. Now, every major BCS conference has 12 teams and everyone has a conference championship.

From then maybe we could see about getting this stupid little playoff that everyone wants.

I am actually for this . . . I mean u still would have teams like Houston and BYU causing some stirups . . . but I think its only fair that if u have 6 BCS conferences, u should have 6 conference championship games.

That would leave the Big East with only 8 teams tho . . . maybe they could add Notre Dame and East Carolina.

BessIsABeast
12-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's the thing with Notre Dame...it's all about the $. They may be realizing that NBC doesn't want to renew their contract here in a couple of years. I think that's the biggest factor regarding ND. I'll be disappointed if it's Iowa State. I don't even think they have a baseball program. I don't see how they would "help" the Big 10. Missouri is the one everybody wants but I think they're happy where they are. They could dominate the big 3 sports though if they did. I think that Louisville and Cincinnati should be other possibilities along with Pitt. Memphis possibly. And I just thought of West Virginia who is pretty good in the big 3 and stays somewhat close geographically.

Mako
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM
I like the idea of Notre Dame joining the Big 10, I think it makes the most logical sense, however the Irish will lose way too much money to make that jump. Therefore, as much as I like the idea, I can't see it happening.

Pitt is another I'd love to see. It's a farce not having the Pitt-Penn State game yearly. That said, they seem pretty content in the Big East and I don't envision a jump for them either.

Memphis, a jump to the Big East makes more sense at this stage. They'd be swamped in the Big 10.

The team you wanna keep your eyes on here is Missouri.

there's talk about Iowa State leaving the Big 12 and going to the Big 10 while Colorado State goes to the Big 12. Memphis also wants to join a big time conference.

Colorado State would get mule kicked routinely in the Big 12.

Time for Boise State to nut up or shut up. If Iowa State leaves the Big 12 for the Big 10, Boise State needs to jump all over that **** and get out of the WAC. The little engine that could routine wore thin by now.

Possum
12-15-2009, 01:50 AM
I am actually for this . . . I mean u still would have teams like Houston and BYU causing some stirups . . . but I think its only fair that if u have 6 BCS conferences, u should have 6 conference championship games.

That would leave the Big East with only 8 teams tho . . . maybe they could add Notre Dame and East Carolina.
rumblings i have been hearing that if the bugeast makes any changes they are going to pull a school from c-usa. not to be a homer but east carolina and ucf have been front runners to make the move out of cusa. but the way houston as been playing the last couple years i wouldnt be surprised if they get moved too.

JCane
12-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Notre Dame makes the most sense to the Big East because of their Big East "ties" in college basketball. East Carolina and Central Florida also make a lot of sense. After these three I'm not sure who you would draw from.

Mako
12-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Notre Dame makes the most sense to the Big East because of their Big East "ties" in college basketball. East Carolina and Central Florida also make a lot of sense. After these three I'm not sure who you would draw from.

JCane, you are correct in regards to the tie in avenue, however I can't see Notre Dame relinquishing their Independent status unless they're forced to, and even then I see them going to the Big 10 first. More money to be made football wise in the Big 10 than the Big East.

For those discussing Big East expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if Central Florida and East Carolina are added/make the jump in the future, and Houston winds up in the Mountain West. Just mere speculation on my end.

JCane
12-15-2009, 02:26 AM
JCane, you are correct in regards to the tie in avenue, however I can't see Notre Dame relinquishing their Independent status unless they're forced to, and even then I see them going to the Big 10 first. More money to be made football wise in the Big 10 than the Big East.

For those discussing Big East expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if Central Florida and East Carolina are added/make the jump in the future, and Houston winds up in the Mountain West. Just mere speculation on my end.

Oh I agree and I said the exact same thing in a previous post. Notre Dame will never willingly move into a conference because they're that team who thinks they're better than everyone else and deserve special treatment because their **** doesn't stink.

CedarPhin
12-15-2009, 02:31 AM
I could see Houston going to the Big XII if Iowa State were to be picked. They've got all those natural SWC rivalries already.

LouPhinFan
12-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Iowa State makes the most sense for the Big 11.

For the Big East, its a little more complicated. They could add ND in football with no problem. Villinova's football team could move up to D1 (or whatever it is that they call it now) without any problem. But if its anyone else, you run into a problem with basketball. There's already too many basketball teams. To add a football school that also has a basketball team, such as East Carolina or Central Florida, then you would have to kick out a basketball only school. DePaul or Seton Hall would get my vote. Seton Hall could just join the A10 and DePaul could go back to CUSA.

CedarPhin
12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Missouri is apparently interested in joining the Big 10. Who'd replace them in the Big XII? Houston? TCU?

BessIsABeast
12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Those two make the most sense...possibly Boise State but I doubt it. They're only good in football. They'd have to rearrange the divisions if it's one of the Texas schools. Maybe putting one of the Oklahoma schools in the North.

Mako
12-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Missouri is apparently interested in joining the Big 10. Who'd replace them in the Big XII? Houston? TCU?

Either would be ideal. The Big 12 is more or less the old SWC, minus Arkansas, extended anyhow. May as well bring one of the old favorites into the fold.

Right now, TCU's a step up the prestige charts from Houston. Also, putting a Big 12 team in the Dallas-Fort Worth area seems like a natural fit.

I'd like to see Boise State nut up or shut up, however IMHO the Broncos seem more of a natural fit for the Pac 10.

Missouri to the Big 10 makes sense as well. This would allow the Big 10 to capitalize on the St. Louis and Kansas City metro-areas (same as Penn State does with the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia market). It also allows them to break the league down in to two conferences, the East (with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana and Purdue) and West (Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Northwestern).

CedarPhin
12-16-2009, 12:55 AM
TCU or Houston wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Houston's got fairly good academics.